What's new

BJP chief claims English bad for India, triggers outrage

Much of the Hindi spoken in Delhi is mixed heavily with Urdu. Much of the culture is also Islamized. This is what Delhi has been exporting to the rest of the country, its Islamic bias. Sanskrit would have been much better as the national language.

ehhhhhhh? ????????????

Be it whitewashing history to show Islamic rule in a kinder light or promotion of only Islamic monuments in the country for tourism or hosting Iftar parties, or the love of Delhiwallahs for shayari etc., etc., there is hardly anything that is Hindu that is promoted by the Delhi based media or the secular political parties. That goes for most of the Hindi speaking crowd too.

rajnath.gif

Im perhaps not able to get my point across to you very effectively. You are addressing a very very limited point - that of communication between persons with different mothertongues. OK, let me concede your point there. But do you not see what the prevalence of English, especially amongst elites and the intelligentsia has wrought -

1. There is decline in serious literary output in all Indian languages, barring honourable exceptions like Kannada. Can you recall any great literature in Hindi after the 60s. I Cant. The same goes for Urdu - a language of sublime beauty.

2. Why do we need to conduct technical courses in English when all other countries do it in their own

3. The intellectual discourse is entirely dominated by the English speakers to the exclusion of Non-English knowers, both in North and South India. This , combined with the fact that there is hardly any text in philosophy, pol science etc in English effectively means that we have not developed our own paradigms and continue to force western thought on our country.

All this is a huge price to pay for the facility English provides us for inter state communication.

yes literature must be encouraged indian languages have a grand heritage..that has nothing to do with our present discussion of making a single language official..today not many people opt for literature so does and so do they any other art..in south and more so in my state people go for engineering or medicine as if thats the only choice not many opt for arts..im fine learning engineering with my native language but then how relevant is it to learn other technologies or ue it even in ur organization..imagine if i work for microsoft then u suggest i write programmes in telugu??and discuss it with a group which containing people of 10 different languages in any language but not in english and that to use the program in u.s or u.k??further lern sap,c,c++ java or any other language after converting in telugu ?? not just computeres it holds good in any branch.and it worsens in the case of conventional courses like mechanical or electrical as the technical terms have toatlly different meanings..tomorrow if somebody in france found a new technology and if i want to study it..i wont get a telugu translation but an english one will be easily available..u looking english in a narrow perspective..its not anymore the language of brits.its a universal language..cutting of english means stagnating ur country again..whether u like it or not..english has a prominent position in world affairs today and if tomorrow cantonese or hindi or any other language reaches that position theres no other alternative to u than to learn it..this is a globalized world we live in..and we must adapt

luvd them....

Not a good example... Brazilians are a mixed race, unlike us. The Portuguese stayed back...

The native language of Amazon Indians was very primitive with no written script unlike the rich choice of languages we have.
And those languages have practically disappeared now... You want the same to happen with Indian languages????

unfortunately in long term this mite happen may be in odd 500 yrs.... dude you know the pressure of present education system. no one has the luxury to learn 4-5languages ....

Don't even know what you are getting at. Don't tech grads from non English speaking nations get to work outside?

Not without learning English. In India, even more difficult. If a tech graduate who studied in Tamil came to Bangalore, what would he do?

A television report showed Singh as saying: "We have started forgetting our religion and culture these days. There are only 14,000 people left in this country speaking in Sanskrit. Knowledge acquired out of English is not harmful but the Anglicization penetrated into the youth is dangerous

Source: http://www.defence.pk/forums/centra...bad-india-triggers-outrage.html#ixzz2ZYrUHFrO

what are reasons for downfall of sanskriti/values in India?

There are two major languages for Hindus (1) Hindi (2) Sanskrit ... I think Hindi is too easy to speak & understand for them than Sanskrit ...........

There are two major languages for Hindus (1) Hindi (2) Sanskrit ... I think Hindi is too easy to speak & understand for them than Sanskrit ...........

appreciate ur deep knowledge and enlightenment...ur indeed an intellectual dwelling in the threads of pdf .we're very much fortunate to have you here..

The problem is not with English per se but because the entire intellectual discourse in the country has been hijacked by it. The "intelligentsia" seems besotted by it and harbours a proportionate contempt for Indian languages. How can fruitful exchange of ideas be conducted in an alien language and when one has to struggle to compress the natural flow of thoughts into the limited vocabulary of a foreign tongue?

And I must seek apology from my brothers from South India but to then must go a large part of blame for propagating Hindi Phobia and the resultant continuation of a foreign tongue - a situation utterly shameful for such a large nation with such a rich choice of languages. If you dont like Hindi -- take Sanskrit, but please let us get rid of this pathetic and condemnable situation of using a foreign tongue as the defacto national language.

Intellectual discourse does not have any language associated with it. It has much to do with knowledge of the topic and intellectual ability of the speakers.

English is the language of Science along with mathematics. That is why it is popular all over the world.

That is not to say, non english science does not progress (German, French, Japnese, Russian etc..), but english as a medium of science is FAR more popular and almost all important journals are published in english.

English is today no more an Alien language for much of the world. In fact it has become a global language with english speakers in every country in the world.

In a world that is more scientific than ever before, english become a de-facto language. It is just the natural order of things ........it has occurred by Evolution rather than Revolution. As to why it happened, that is irrelevant to the issue at hand.

Now to the actual Issue at Hand........

1. Rajnath singh has said we have started forgetting our religion and culture these days. - That is true and has been true for the last 200 years.

2. He also said "Knowledge acquired out of English is not harmful but the Anglicization penetrated into youth is dangerous.", which is also true, especially when they replace local religion and culture.

No where did he say people should not learn English. The solution is to teach people Sanskrit and make it a compulsory subject.

This appears to be much ado over nothing.

Back
Top Bottom