What's new

BIMARU Corner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Indischer

when I looked at the literacy rates of States, I found Karnataka to be about 77% literacy.

I was expecting ti to be in the high 80's.

Any reason for this.

@Indischer

when I looked at the literacy rates of States, I found Karnataka to be about 77% literacy.

I was expecting ti to be in the high 80's.

Any reason for this.

The Northern half of Karnataka is pretty backward on such indices mate. Karnataka was formed from the amalgamation of Mysore state, which was one of the most progressive in India at the time of Independence, with other Kannada speaking regions held by Bombay Presidency and the Nizam's Hyderabad. If you see the district-wise breakup, the asymmetry between the North and South will be apparent.Sad that even after so many years of integration, the gap between the North and South remains yawning as ever.

The Northern half of Karnataka is pretty backward on such indices mate. Karnataka was formed from the amalgamation of Mysore state, which was one of the most progressive in India at the time of Independence, with other Kannada speaking regions held by Bombay Presidency and the Nizam's Hyderabad. If you see the district-wise breakup, the asymmetry between the North and South will be apparent.Sad that even after so many years of integration, the gap between the North and South remains yawning as ever.

Yep.
Dakshina Kannada has above 90% literacy and a positive gender ratio.

:)

@Indischer do you think culture also plays a part?

sorry for sounding ignorant.

@Indischer do you think culture also plays a part?

sorry for sounding ignorant.
Didn't get your alert. Culture definitely does to an extent I believe. I see it more like a perpetual cycle of lack of education depriving a culture of newer ideas, and consequently preserving the existing norm.

Are you following IPL, btw?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom