What's new

BIMARU Corner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
China's name surprised me.And just because Pakistanis refer to their country as "vatan" doesnt prove anything.We too refer India as "mulak "and "vatan". Isnt it?? :)

It's basically that the Germanic tribes considered their lands as that of their forefathers, and Fatherland to them, seems to have been the better word to signify their patriarchial inheritence of the Land. Just a cultural concept amongst Germanic countries.
I thought then the middle eastern countries would be more patriarchal than Germany.
Not convinced yet Indee.
Anyway thanks. :-)

China's name surprised me.And just because Pakistanis refer to their country as "vatan" doesnt prove anything.We too refer India as "mulak "and "vatan". Isnt it?? :)

I thought then the middle eastern countries would be more patriarchal than Germany.
Not convinced yet Indee.
Anyway thanks. :-)

Vatan comes from Arabic Al-Watan.:-) We already had a blow-up over using Shaheed. Don't want the Puritans to come running over us using Vatan now.:lol:

And you've to remember that the ancient Germanic Tribes fought vicious campaigns against the Romans and Gauls for their land. They were a pretty rough bunch then. The concept isn't from when they started to turn into a sophisticated liberal society.:)

Not convinced yet Indee.
Anyway thanks
. :-)

What Indie said. The Germanic tribes were fearsome and a source of much ache for the Romans.

Different cultures, different allegories and metaphor.

Although a lot of the cultures do associate the land with Mother as land symbolizes life and fertility. And goddesses usually had dominion over fertility.

It was a joke.

The reality is Kerala and Tamil Nadu has birth rate of 1.7 each.

Kerala needs labourers, builders, mason and carpenters from the North.

Chennai needs engineers and such from the North.

The South is a greying population, if South India wants to keep at 7% economic growth rate, they need their migrants.

But it will be interesting to see how South India will look like 25 years from now.

So far no South Indian equivalent of Shiv Sena has emerged.

Hyd. and Bangalore have already been conquered. Only Chennai is left, I am working on that. The grand evil plans of our elders will bear fruit :devil:. We are facing an issue in Kerala though, a tough place to infiltrate, no significant metros or industry to speak off :coffee:.

What Indie said. The Germanic tribes were fearsome and a source of much ache for the Romans.

Different cultures, different allegories and metaphor.

Although a lot of the cultures do associate the land with Mother as land symbolizes life and fertility. And goddesses usually had dominion over fertility.
Like the goths/visigoths you speak off, even the slavs/cossacks have been fearsome warriors a.k.a "barbarians". So how did the concept of Mother Russia originate o_O

Vatan comes from Arabic Al-Watan.:-) We already had a blow-up over using Shaheed. Don't want the Puritans to come running over us using Vatan now.:lol:

And you've to remember that the ancient Germanic Tribes fought vicious campaigns against the Romans and Gauls for their land. They were a pretty rough bunch then. The concept isn't from when they started to turn into a sophisticated liberal society.:)
It must be the WWII that highlighted how often do germans call their country fatherland or the Hitler's speeches.
And yes i did see the plethora of feelings exhibited by our neighbors when I used the word Shaheed for our soldiers. :-)
Like the goths/visigoths you speak off, even the slavs/cossacks have been fearsome warriors a.k.a "barbarians". So how did the concept of Mother Russia originate o_O
Somewhere on net I read Germans call their country fatherland because Russians call their's motherland.:P
Found it hilarious.
Long back I had asked this question to another member on this forum who then contacted a German member on pdf to find the solution,but it was all in vain.
Yes that makes complete sense.
But more than the concept of fertility i think its the mother-child bond that led to the word motherland, I could be wrong though.

It must be the WWII that highlighted how often do germans call their country fatherland or the Hitler's speeches.
And yes i did see the plethora of feelings exhibited by our neighbors when I used the word Shaheed for our soldiers. :-)

Germans are pretty unconventional in many areas. To them, the Sun is feminine while the Moon is masculine. So no suprises in their land being masculine.:sarcastic:

Germans are pretty unconventional in many areas. To them, the Sun is feminine while the Moon is masculine. So no suprises in their land being masculine.:sarcastic:
OOOOOMMMMMMMGGGGGGGG
I can some how never imagine moon as masculine.:blink::blink::blink:

It's basically that the Germanic tribes considered their lands as that of their forefathers, and Fatherland to them, seems to have been the better word to signify their patriarchial inheritence of the Land. Just a cultural concept amongst Germanic countries.

Its surprising to see that Germans united rising above the sectarian difference between Catholics and Protestants. In other places of Europe the prominent Christian sect defined the nationalistic identity.

OOOOOMMMMMMMGGGGGGGG
I can some how never imagine moon as masculine.:blink::blink::blink:

The crazy part is, all non-animate objects have a gender associated with them.

The rule is: Masculine-Der; Feminine-Die; Neutral-Das.

Das Auto(Car) is fine, but Die Hose(for Pants) and Der Rock(for Skirts) ?? Crazy language!

Its surprising to see that Germans united rising above the sectarian difference between Catholics and Protestants. In other places of Europe the prominent Christian sect defined the nationalistic identity.

Actually, it's one reason why German took so long to unite! Plus, it took someone as special as Bismarck to achieve his feat. Our Sardar Patel also did it, but under somewhat simpler circumstances.

Even today, Religion is a taboo subject for most Germans. They approach such divisive subjects as unpleasant and hence not worthy of petty debates. The Catholic-Protestant divide is best left not discussed if you meet a German.:)

The crazy part is, all non-animate objects have a gender associated with them.

The rule is: Masculine-Der; Feminine-Die; Neutral-Das.

Das Auto(Car) is fine, but Die Hose(for Pants) and Der Rock(for Skirts) ?? Crazy language!
Hehehe
So I've decided to learn German. :P
Indee wie geht es dir??? :-)
(That I hope is read as wy get es dir)

Hehehe
So I've decided to learn German. :P
Indee wie geht es dir??? :-)
(That I hope is read as wy get es dir)
is that jerry ?

31T_CA_TJSV.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.