What's new

Biggest airport in the world: Financing of Istanbul's third airport ‘to be done by September’

atatwolf

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
Turkey
A consortium of Turkish contractors, who will build Istanbul’s third airport, plan to complete a financing deal by September, said Nihat Özdemir, Chairman of Limak group, three weeks after a groundbreaking ceremony for the giant project.

Speaking with reporters in Pristina, Kosovo, Özdemir said they expect to finalize financial packages for the airport – which is slated to be one of world’s largest – by August, with the latest being September.
The Cengiz-Kolin-Limak-Mapa-Kalyon Consortium, a joint venture of Turkish companies, won the construction tender on May 3, 2013, promising to pay the state 22.1 billion euros, plus taxes, over 25 years, starting from 2017.

“Currently, we are proceeding with shareholder equity. We make all of our plans [together and] we are going to complete the first phase in 2017 and open the airport to service in 2017,” Özdemir said, noting “I think we will start construction for the airport next year [2015].”

The first stage of construction was planned to be finished in 42 months after the area was delivered and was expected to hold a capacity 70 million passengers. While an additional 20 million passenger capacity was foreseen.

However, the two phases of the project have been merged into the current plans, according to information Reuters received from company sources.

Therefore, a total of a 6.6 million euro investment planned for the first stage and a 2.3 million euro for the second stage will be funded by equities from the five consortium member companies, while the rest will be provided as a financial package. Two terminal buildings, three landing fields, eight parallel cab lanes and a 4-million-square meter apron will be built as part of the first stage.

Meanwhile, when asked about the reports claimed, the consortium had to change its plans for the airport due to the delay in the Kanal Istanbul project.

“We need to do this construction urgently so we don’t have time to wait for those projects. We are going to procure filling materials [and fill the holes ourselves],” said Özdemir. Reaching the desired elevation level for the airport, which is planned to be built on an area with many old open-pit coal mines that must be filled, requires around 2.5 billion cubic meters of filling material, which were intended to be taken from the Kanal Istanbul projects’ excavation soil.

Financing of Istanbul's third airport ‘to be done by September’ News HurriyetDailyNews.com News

istanbul-3-havaalani.jpg

First-designs-of-Istanbul-s-third-airport-02.jpg

Last edited:
Is it the biggest airport in the world or one of the biggest.
The title says one thing, the article says another.

What is the size of the airport?

@atatwolf - posting an article without its link is against the rules of the forum.

I seriously am considering a vacation with my family to Istanbul following Ramadan. Do you guys know what we could possibly do there since we've never been there?

We like to eat good food, see interesting artifacts. I also want to explore the natural environment in Turkey. Would appreciate any suggestions from Turkish members. :)

I seriously am considering a vacation with my family to Istanbul following Ramadan. Do you guys know what we could possibly do there since we've never been there?

We like to eat good food, see interesting artifacts. I also want to explore the natural environment in Turkey. Would appreciate any suggestions from Turkish members. :)

You mentioned passenger volume mate.
Is it the biggest airport because of passenger volume? Or because of size?
Passanger volume, probably also the size.

I think you should visit old town i dont think you are a party guy. :D

You can visit the following attractions in Istanbul:

Sultan Ahmet Mosque (Blue Mosque)

private-tour-istanbul-in-one-day-sightseeing-tour-including-blue-in-istanbul-119863.jpg

sultan-ahmed-mosque.jpg

Haghia Sophia

hagia-sophia-interior.jpg

Topkapi Palace (old ottoman Palace)

Its a museum with many Islamic artifacts from several Prophets, Jewelrys and Armorys from Ottoman era

TOPKAPIPALACE-3.jpg

topkapi-palace-.jpg

Cisterna Basilica

LzgD5c4.jpg

Grand Bazaar

iUXsTVW.jpg

Dolmabahçe Palace (new Ottoman Palace)

destinations-dolmabahce-palace-hero.jpg

dolmabahce-palace-two-continents-2.jpg

dolmabahce_palace_istanbul%20(11).jpg

All of these are located in old town ''Fatih'' except (Dolmabahçe Palace) just a couple hundred meters away from eachother.

Knowing you, you would love topkapı palace. İt has personal belongings of Hz. ibrahim, sword of Hz. Davut, Hz. Muhammed, Hz. Ali, first 4 caliphs and many Ottoman caliphs.
Hırka-İ şerif.

İt harbours everything related to İslam.

Dude, c'mon I'm fasting. :lol:

That's why I had the patience to watch the video. I will visit those historical sites and the 'harem' area with the antiques. I'll skip the steam bath though. :lol:

Forsure will go to the spice market, we use a lot of them for our foods. And the Grand Bazaar looks interesting, he makes a bar of gold in front of you.

Of course the shawarma stand and 'mancam' food buffet I have to go to. :D

@xenon54 @olcayto

How would you know? What kind of partying would we be doing? :D

Thanks for the suggestions as well guys.

Looking at the map it isnt hard to understand why Istanbul is allready a major transportation hub with its two Airports, Istanbul Atatürk with 30 million passenger capacity but running on 50 million passanger in 2013 and Sabiha Gökcen Airport with 20 million capacity.
Together these airports are allready running on their maximum capacity with 70 million passangers.

Worldmap_FullHDWpp.com_.jpg

Back
Top Bottom