What's new

Bhutan keen to export hydro-electricity to Bangladesh

Hammer-fist

Reaction score

2013-02-16__Bhutan-King.jpg

Bhutanese King Jigme Khesar Namgyel Wangchuck calls on BNP Chairperson Khaleda Zia at a city hotel on Saturday. Photo: courtesy
Star Online Report

Visiting Bhutanese king has expressed his interest of exporting hydro-electricity to Bangladesh.

But before importing hydro-electricity from Bhutan, the Bangladesh government will have to develop the country's overall infrastructure, King Jigme Khesar Namgyel Wangchuck said Saturday.

He said this during a meeting with BNP Chairperson Khaleda Zia at Hotel Sonargaon in the capital.

"Bhutan is not only self-sufficient in producing hydro-electricity but also has surplus that we can export to Bangladesh," BNP Vice-Chairman Shamsher Mobin Chowdhury, who accompanied Khaleda, quoted the Bhutanese king as saying.

They also discussed Khaleda's recent visits to China and India.

The king and queen of Bhutan arrived in Dhaka on Thursday on a five-day private visit.

This is Wangchuck's second visit to Bangladesh in less than two years. His first visit was in March 2011.

However, this is the first visit of Queen Gyaltsuen Jetsun Pema Wangchuck.

¬They are scheduled to leave Dhaka on Tuesday.

If Bhutan has surplus electricity generation capacity and willing to export then India should let them.
But then again,if the Indian parts adjacent to Bhutan have got demand for electricity then priority should be given to India.

At this point,let me clarify,I am not saying this from nationalistic point of view.Ha done my bachelors in engineering and I happen to know a thing or two about electricity generation and its distribution.The biggest amount of loss is sustained in its transmission.As the distance between the point of production and the point of consumption increases,the loss increases in a proportionate manner,upto such an extent that it may no longer be viable to bear the cost.
Rather,it may be more cost effective and at the same time,more eco-friendly to draw power from Assam.

If Bhutan has surplus electricity generation capacity and willing to export then India should let them.
But then again,if the Indian parts adjacent to Bhutan have got demand for electricity then priority should be given to India.

At this point,let me clarify,I am not saying this from nationalistic point of view.Ha done my bachelors in engineering and I happen to know a thing or two about electricity generation and its distribution.The biggest amount of loss is sustained in its transmission.As the distance between the point of production and the point of consumption increases,the loss increases in a proportionate manner,upto such an extent that it may no longer be viable to bear the cost.
Rather,it may be more cost effective and at the same time,more eco-friendly to draw power from Assam.

The shortest distance between Bhutan border and Bangladesh border is not more than 50-60 miles. Please correct me if I am wrong. So distance here is not a big issue.

Dhaka-Thimphu distance, 265 miles:
Dhaka to Thimphu distance

Power Import from Nepal, Bhutan - India declines to give Dhaka corridor

India has disagreed to give Dhaka corridor to import power from Nepal and Bhutan through a cross-border transmission line to meet a crying need for electricity at home.

The refusal came on the final day of a two-day Indo-Bangladesh dialogue on power-sector cooperation in the city Thursday.

“They (India) said it is a tripartite matter. So we could not discuss the matter without Nepal or Bhutan,” an official of Bangladesh Power Division quoted the Indian side as saying on the proposal during the secretary-level power talks.

Bangladesh Power Division secretary Monwar Hossain led the host side at the dialogue while the Indian delegation was headed by P Uma Sankar, power secretary of the Indian power ministry.

But, the Indian power secretary assured the Bangladesh side of informing government’s high-ups of the matter.

“Bangladesh and Nepal have been working toward a bilateral cooperation in the field of hydropower development in Nepal,” an official of the Power Division informed.

Earlier, a delegation of the Power Division led by Md Mofazzel Hossain visited Nepal in July last year to discuss various aspects of the proposed power-sector cooperation.

During a meeting with the Nepalese counterpart, the Power Division delegation discussed constructing a dedicated power-transmission line between the two countries through Indian territory, a power division official said.

The official also said both the sides were interested to have power connectivity through the Indian power grid line via Duhabi-Purnia-Barapukuria or Anarmani-Siliguri-Barapukuria route.

The meeting also discussed various aspects of power trade through the under-construction Bheramara HVDC station, using the 400KV Muzaffarpur-Dhalkebar cross-border transmission line, subject to approval from the Indian authorities.

“The Nepalese counterpart has already agreed to initiate a joint-venture hydroelectric project in Nepal,” the Power Division officials informed.

daily sun | First Page | India declines to give Dhaka corridor

I said about BD genius. Unless BD gives us transit Nepal,Bhutan power is not coming to BD.

China getting power will not make light bulb glow in Bangladesh.

That does not let india gain either. BUT that make indian prospective very clear - india and indians consider Bangladesh loss as indian gain.

Unless BD gives us transit to NE, we are not giving them access to BD and Nepali power.

If India wants to extend the life of limited corridor that it enjoys to go to Tripura, it would be wiser for it to allow a electricity transmission corridor to BD. The reality is Bhutan and Nepal have the potentiality to build many more hydro-electric power plants, from where electricity can be supplied to BD via India. Anyway, a tripartite agreement will be needed to solve the issue. But, watching the mind set of miser and feeble-minded Indians I am of a view that it will take another century before India will nod to this program.

If India wants to extend the life of limited corridor that it enjoys to go to Tripura, it would be wiser for it to allow a electricity transmission corridor to BD. The reality is Bhutan and Nepal have the potentiality to build many more hydro-electric power plants, from where electricity can be supplied to BD via India. Anyway, a tripartite agreement will be needed to solve the issue. But, watching the mind set of miser and feeble-minded Indians I am of a view that it will take another century before India will nod to this program.

I'll re-phrase my post - unless BD gives full transit to our NE, they are not going to get power from Nepal or Bhutan.

Did anyone notice something in OP?

But before importing hydro- electricity from Bhutan, the Bangladesh government will have to develop the country's overall infrastructure, King Jigme Khesar Namgyel Wangchuck said Saturday.

What does it mean? How overall infrastructure development within the country is related to the import of electricity? Yes a certain infrastructure development is of course needed such as setting up transmission station/ drawing transmission lines etc, but that's obvious and don't require to be mentioned. Especially when it's coming from the King was he alluding to infrastructure development related to transit issue (ind-bd-ne)?

The shortest distance between Bhutan border and Bangladesh border is not more than 50-60 miles. Please correct me if I am wrong. So distance here is not a big issue.

Dhaka-Thimphu distance, 265 miles:
Dhaka to Thimphu distance

:lol:
Electricity transmission lines cannot be laid like that my friend.The shortest distance is 50-60 miles doesnt mean that you can draw power lines like drawing a line over the map.The topography has to be considered,we have to look if the land is inhabited or not.There are regulations that you cannot draw overhead high tension power lines over somebody's roof top.

Also,the second point,this one is really funny.See,it is not like electricity is produced right at the border of Bhutan and the Bangladeshi grid is right at Bangladeshi border.So,you cannot measure distance milestone to milestone.In reality the effective distance will be much much higher.
Refer to the link below for further reading :
AC Transmission Line Losses

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom