What's new

Beijing's new 3D fast bus passes security evaluation

Brotherhood

Reaction score
Beijing's new 3D fast bus passes security evaluation - People's Daily OnlineAugust 25, 2010

P201008251654163242400020.jpg

China's new 3D fast bus that can carry passengers above street level and straddle the lanes below to allow traffic to pass freely underneath has just passed the security assessment made by professional organizations and will be put into pilot use in Beijing's Mentougou District by the end of 2011.

According to the Feasibility Study Report delivered to China South Locomotive & Rolling Stock Co., Ltd. (CSR), the first 3D fast bus will be designed and made by this company. It is a unique Chinese production with independent innovation proposed by Shenzhen Hashi Future Parking Equipment Co., Ltd.

It is 4.4 meters to 4.5 meters high with two levels that allows passengers board on the upper level while other vehicles lower than 2 meters can freely go through underneath.

The bus is designed to straddle two lanes at a time to let traffic pass underneath both when it is stopped and when it is in motion. In fact, it is more like a massive double-wide tram than a bus, with a fixed route and physical connection to the city's municipal power grid.

Powered by electricity and solar energy, the zero-emission 3D bus can reach speed up to an average of 60 to 80 kilometers an hour, faster than current buses and can link well with the bus stations and overpasses while not affecting the traffic.

The cost of producing this bus system is 50 million Yuan (about 7.4 million U.S. dollars) per kilometers, which is roughly one-tenth the cost of building a subway of the same length. And 40 kilometers can be constructed a year, while three years is needed to build a subway line with the same length.

The most meaningful feature of this 3D fast bus is that it is more flexible than subways and light railways owing to its modular carriages that can use either one or two carriages in the peak hours and its departure time can be adjusted also.

By Zhao Chenyan, People's Daily Online

Very nice! We need to encourage innovative thinkers.

It might actually become a tourist attraction, we can have site-seeing lanes.

I hope to see more innovative ideas and products emerging from China. I am really feedup with people keep on saying Chinese are only good at copying others.

Idea is excellent however my only concern is about the cars under the bus . I will feel little dizzy if something keep passing over me. Atleast in the beginning.

Back
Top Bottom