What's new

Beijing now spotlights $1.0b Teesta project

Black_cats

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score

Beijing now spotlights $1.0b Teesta project​

BD-China joint economic cooperation meet ahead​

MIR MOSTAFIZUR RAHAMAN | Published: May 07, 2022 08:45:05 | Updated: May 07, 2022 09:05:17

Beijing now spotlights $1.0b Teesta project

The much-talked-about multipurpose project on Teesta river management is now considered a priority one by China and the authorities in Beijing are tasked with its evaluation, competent sources said.

Bangladesh has sought US$938.27 million in loan from China to implement the Teesta River Comprehensive Management and Restoration project, which reportedly causes unease to India.

The project's feasibility study had been completed by Power Construction Corporation of China (Powerchina) two years ago and the works would start after the signing of the loan agreement, officials said.

Bangladesh, two years back, mooted a proposal for implementing the one-billion-dollar project under Chinese funding as the water-sharing treaty on this fourth-largest trans-boundary river with neighbouring India "could not be materialised despite a decade-long wait".

The Teesta project was not included in the 27 projects for which MoU was signed under a line of credit between the two countries during Chinese President Xi Jinping's Bangladesh visit in 2016.

It was incorporated later through replacing another project, the sources said, adding that "delay in the signing of the Teesta water-sharing deal prompted Bangladesh to go for this ambitious but essential project".

In a recent meeting held between Bangladesh and China, the Chinese side informed the Bangladesh side that two projects, including the Teesta river project, was being considered by them as priority projects, officials concerned told the FE.

The other one is the Sewage Collection System under Dasherkandi STP catchment of Dhaka City Project, they added.

Under the Teesta Project, massive drainage work will be done along the 115 miles of Teesta runs inside the Bangladesh border to deepen the depth of the mid-river bed.

A 115-kilometre four-lane road will be constructed along both banks of the river, officials said, adding that at various points barrage-cum-road will be constructed to improve the communications system around the two banks of the mighty river.

"A big reservoir will be constructed to conserve huge surplus water that flows through the river every monsoon to ensure water supply for irrigation during the dry season," says one official.

The major features of the megaproject are: 108-kilometre river dredging, 173km river embankments on both sides, construction of satellite cities on both banks, and preservation of asset worth BDT1130 billion.

Implementation of the project is projected to create around 800,000 jobs, said Water Development Board officials involved with the project

Originating in Sikkim and entering Bangladesh through Lalmonirhat, the 315-kilometre-long river travels 153 kilometres through half a dozen other northern districts, including Rangpur, Gaibandha, Nilphamari and Kurigram, before merging with the Jamuna at Fulchhari.

Meanwhile, both Bangladesh and China have decided to hold the 15th meeting of the Joint Economic Commission sometime this year in virtual format -- after a gap of five years.

The last such meeting was held in 2016 in Dhaka. A Chinese minister will lead the Chinese delegation in the meeting, sources said.

mirmostafiz@yahoo.com

Get this done as a priority. Billion spent here is good spend as we lose multiple billions per year in crop losses and associated economic and social impact. Added bonus india loses another point of leverage.

Get this done as a priority. Billion spent here is good spend as we lose multiple billions per year in crop losses and associated economic and social impact. Added bonus india loses another point of leverage.

This should have been done as a priority with the Padma Bridge.

The 1 billion dollar cost will repay itself back within the first year.

As far as I have read in the newspapers, this Teesta project financed by China is no more that a "Beautification Project". So, why are you celebrating here and jumping in excitement? Can you tell why this project will bring benefits to the people in the north?

Even after this project is complete, Teesta flow will remain as low as as it is today because it is India that will keep the water within its boundary. So, what China can do here except adding a few more billions of dollars of loan money that BD may be unable to repay.

Should you not say something on the technical matters before you jump in excitement? How do you want to increase the flow, please tell us?

As far as I have read in the newspapers, this Teesta project financed by China is no more that a "Beautification Project". So, why are you celebrating here and jumping in excitement? Can you tell why this project will bring benefits to the people in the north?

Even after this project is complete, Teesta flow will remain as low as as it is today because it is India that will keep the water within its boundary. So, what China can do here except adding a few more billions of dollars of loan money that BD may be unable to repay.

Should you not say something on the technical matters before you jump in excitement? How do you want to increase the flow, please tell us?
that what happens when you get your news from hindutva rag and on top of it lack the intelligence to understand what is being said.

there is a treaty that your country had signed and then failed to implement. if india illegally retains water BD will sue and will leave itself open to exploitation by the chinese. BD barrage will hold and store water in rainy season for use later.

If it was a beauty project why are you indians jumping up and down and what business is it of yours...

Last edited:
that what happens when you get your news from hindutva rag and on top it lack the intelligence to understand what is being said.

there is a treaty that your country had signed and then failed to implement. if india illegally retains water BD will sue and will leave itself open to exploitation by the chinese. BD barrage will hold and store water in rainy season for use later.

If it was a beauty project why are you indians jumping up and down and what business is it of yours...
wait what? he is an indian? how come?

wait what? he is an indian? how come?
This @mb444 is unable to counter my points and then he starts making personal attacks. But, I enjoy his feeble position.

This time, I said in a post to tell us why the new Teesta project will be beneficial. He did not answer, but again started making personal attacks.

I again ask @mb444 why do you think Teesta project will negate the bad effects of India not releasing water. Do you think the Chinese project will bring down additional water from China?

I hope your Talibanic brain will find some answer. So, answer the question instead of bickering. I am all ear.

Why you are seeing only beautification part not the reduction of flood and damage associated with it every year, reclamation of land on both side of teesta, creation of economic zone and use of more land for cultivation and the economic activity and job that will be created with it.

Why you are seeing only beautification part not the reduction of flood and damage associated with it every year, reclamation of land on both side of teesta, creation of economic zone and use of more land for cultivation and the economic activity and job that will be created with it.
I have been asking consistently on the merits of building this Teesta Beautification Project. But, it is almost one long year that no one is giving answer. So , please tell me what benefits BD would get when water will go down to the Brahmaputra as it is going now?

Please tell me why I am wrong in my assertion. Please try to understand why shoul I be taking this view when you patriot guys are elected at the BAL propaganda opinion.

Remember Payra Port. I objected to this RIVER port, but you guys said I am an Indian agent. Finally, your Idiot Hasina Bibi spent 1 billion dollar before stopping the canal digging work.

It will be the same fate for this beautification Teesta project. Remember what am saying here.
The project’s full potentialities cannot be achieved unless a new barrage is built at its mouth at the Brahmaputra.

This is the reason I repeatedly say it is a beautification project, a river project that will not provide more water in winter than it is now.

But, you guys are unable to follow what I say. For a better understanding, ask a civil engineer with expertise in planning an open channel project.

@Black_cats, where is the news on a new barrage?

Because he is an hindutva idiot trolling for the sake of trooling. How stupid does one have to be to think a billion dollar project would be for beautification?

F'ing hell dude....how dense can you be. Were you repeatedly hit on the head with the stupid bamboo sticks during your RSS training camp?

Here is a detailed explanation of the scope of the project. I suspect you lack the intelligence to comprehend any of it but here goes....

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thefinancialexpress.com.bd/views/analysis/the-long-wait-for-a-big-change-1625849665?amp=true

I will await for your rambling riposte if there is any or will this be another interaction that will end in impotent cries of bullying or schoolyard islamaphobic name calling? The mind boggles...
Shut up idiot, do not talk on a subject that you have zero knowledge.

Last edited:
The project’s full potentialities cannot be achieved unless a new barrage is built at its mouth at the Brahmaputra.

This is the reason I repeatedly say it is a beautification project, a river project that will not provide more water in winter than it is now.

But, you guys are unable to follow what I say. For a better understanding, ask a civil engineer with expertise in planning an open channel project.

Shut up idiot, don’t not talk on a subject that you have zero knowledge.

Not having a clue does not stop you from mouthing off gibberish at every opportunity....

Operation of a reservoir is not an alien concept to me so i am fine thanks...

As your low life honour less country cant abide by the treaty it signed.... BD will do what is necessary on its side.... it is no concern of yours.

that what happens when you get your news from hindutva rag and on top of it lack the intelligence to understand what is being said.

By reading your stupid and ignorant post, I can say you just do not have the answer how to raise the flow of water in winter.

Bashing is not the answer that you are fond of. I have read the news again, but found no answer to my main question, how the quantity of water flow will rise in the winter.

Do not forget to answer this important question. Tell me how to create a large reservoir without building a barrage at the mouth of Teesta?

But, a barrage remains a missing component in the BD planning. When a barrage is planned I will have my personal endorsement.

Until then, I have no choice but to to withstand barrages of bullying from ignorant posters as you are. But, give me answer in proper English and not in Cockney.

Last edited:
I have been asking persistently on the merits of building this Teesta Beautification Project. But, it is almost one long year that no one is giving answer. So , please tell me what benefits BD would get when water will flow down to the Brahmaputra as it is going now in winter?

So, no enlargement of irrigated farmlands.

Remember Payra Port. I objected to this RIVER port, but you guys said I am an Indian agent. Finally, your Idiot Hasina Bibi spent 1 billion dollar before stopping the canal digging work. Teesta almost the same.

However, Chinese companies are quite capable to strengthen the two Teesta banks. I have seen video what they are doing both sides of the Padma Bridge. They will raise the banks. But, no additional water in winter unless a system is implemented to retain the rainy water.

Last edited:
I have been asking persistently on the merits of building this Teesta Beautification Project. But, it is almost one long year that no one is giving answer. So , please tell me what benefits BD would get when water will flow down to the Brahmaputra as it is going now in winter?

So, no enlargement of irrigated farmlands.

Remember Payra Port. I objected to this RIVER port, but you guys said I am an Indian agent. Finally, your Idiot Hasina Bibi spent 1 billion dollar before stopping the canal digging work. Teesta almost the same.

However, Chinese companies are quite capable to strengthen the two Teesta banks. I have seen video what they are doing both sides of the Padma Bridge. They will raise the banks. But, no additional water in winter unless a system is implemented to retain the rainy water.

I think number of large reservoirs will be built to keep the water to be used during dry season cause of the project.

But don’t forget flood damage around teesta river is couple of thousand crore each year. If the project can stop the damage itself can make the project sustainable within few years excluding the economic zones and farm lands this project will help to create and the economic activities this project will generate.

I think number of large reservoirs will be built to keep the water to be used during dry season cause of the project.

But don’t forget flood damage around teesta river is couple of thousand crore each year. If the project can stop the damage itself can make the project sustainable within few years excluding the economic zones and farm lands this project will help to create and the economic activities this project will generate.
Yes, you are right. The news says so. But, creating an artificial lake is not a very normal way of retaining water. Building a barrage at the junction/ mouth with Brahmaputra would have yield much higher volume of water.

I have no knowledge of the volume of water that can be contained in this lake. But, if the volume is known, an engineer can calculate how many acres/ hectors of land can be irrigated.

Usually, it is estimated that a 3' height of water is needed in a paddy field for about 60 days. The minimum height being 6 inches. So, almost every day small quantity of water is irrigated. I am not so sure about this 60 days. But, when the paddy starts to change color from green to yellowish, irrigation is stopped.

So, it is (number of acres x 3' x 60 days) which is the total water requirement in one paddy crop. It is double if two paddy crops. It means the more the volume of water the more acers of land can be brought under the irrigation scheme.

A pond/ artificial lake will hardly contain much water. But, with a barrage at the mouth more than 100 km length of water can be contained. And the height may be more than 15 meters rising (-1 to -1.5m) of the dike height.

This is what I have been telling all along. I hope, during the course of construction, a big revision is made to include another barrage at the Teesta mouth.

Back
Top Bottom