What's new

'Beijing-Dhaka ties will be substantially damaged if Bangladesh joins Quad'

চীনা রাষ্ট্রদূতের মন্তব্যে বিস্মিত কূটনীতিকরা

যুক্তরাষ্ট্র, ভারত, অস্ট্রেলিয়া ও জাপানের সমন্বয়ে গঠিত জোট কোয়াডে যোগ দিলে ঢাকা-বেইজিং দ্বিপক্ষীয় সম্পর্কের ক্ষতি হবে বলে মন্তব্য করেছেন চীনের রাষ্ট্রদূত লি জিমিং। সোমবার (১০ মে) ডিপ্লোম্যাটিক করেসপন্ডেন্ট অ্যাসোসিয়েশনের আয়োজিত এক অনুষ্ঠানে তিনি এসব কথা বলেন।

রাষ্ট্রদূত লি জিমিংয়ের এমন মন্তব্যে কিছুটা বিস্মিত করেছে কূটনীতি বিশেষজ্ঞদের। তাদের বক্তব্য, কোয়াডে যোগ দেওয়ার বিষয়ে বাংলাদেশকে কেউ আহ্বান জানায়নি, ঢাকাও এ বিষয়ে কখনও আগ্রহ দেখায়নি। এই প্রেক্ষিতে লি জিমিং কেন এই মন্তব্য করলেন সেটি নিয়ে সন্দিহান তারা।

এ বিষয়ে জানতে চাইলে সাবেক পররাষ্ট্র সচিব শহীদুল হক কোয়াডে বাংলাদেশের যোগদানে অনাগ্রহের বিষয় উল্লেখ করে বাংলা ট্রিবিউনকে বলেন, ‘আমার জানামতে কোনও ধরনের সামরিক জোটে যোগ দেওয়ার জন্য বাংলাদেশ কখনও আলোচনা করেছে বা আগ্রহ দেখিয়েছে, এমন কোনও ঘটনা ঘটেনি।’

চীনে বাংলাদেশের সাবেক রাষ্ট্রদূত মুনশি ফায়েজ আহমেদ বলেন, ‘কোয়াডে যোগ দেবে এ ধরনের কিছু কখনই বাংলাদেশ থেকে বলা হয়নি। বাংলাদেশ ফ্রি অ্যান্ড ওপেন ইন্দো-প্যাসিফিক ভিশন ধারণ করে এবং সেটিও শুধুমাত্র অর্থনৈতিক অংশটুকু। কোনও ধরনের নিরাপত্তা বিষয়ে আমরা যোগ দেবো না, এটি আমাদের সরকারের পরিষ্কার অবস্থান।’

অন্যদেশগুলো বাংলাদেশকে কোয়াডে যোগ দিতে বলেছে এধরনের কোনও ইঙ্গিতও আমরা পাইনি জানিয়ে তিনি বলেন, ‘যুক্তরাষ্ট্র বাংলাদেশকে ফ্রি অ্যান্ড ওপেন ইন্দো-প্যাসিফিক ভিশনের বিষয়ে জানিয়েছে কিন্তু কোয়াডে যোগ দেওয়ার বিষয়ে কোনও কথা হয়েছে বলে কখনো শুনিনি।’

তার মতে, চীনের এ বিষয়টি জানা আছে, হয়তো কোয়াড নিয়ে প্রশ্ন করার কারণে তিনি বলেছেন যে কোয়াড জোটটি নির্বিষ নয়। কোয়াডের সদস্যরা প্রকাশ্যেই চীনের বিরোধিতা করছে এবং এ বিষয়টিকে বেইজিংএর ভালো চোখে দেখার কোনও সুযোগ নেই। মুনশি ফায়েজ বলেন, এই ধরনের জোটে বাংলাদেশ বা অন্য কোনও দেশ যোগ দিলে চীন পছন্দ করবে না এটিই স্বাভাবিক এবং এই বার্তাটি তারা দিচ্ছে।

নাম প্রকাশে অনিচ্ছুক একজন কূটনীতিক বাংলা ট্রিবিউনকে বলেন, সাধারণত চীন প্রকাশ্যে কিছু বলে না। এবারেই মনে হয় প্রথম তারা এ ধরনের কথা তারা জনসম্মুখে বললো।

কোয়াড চারটি দেশের একটি জোট এবং তারা নতুন কাউকে নিচ্ছে না জানিয়ে ওই কূটনীতিক বলেন, বাংলাদেশকে কোয়াডে কেউ যোগ দিতে বলছে বলে আমার জানা নেই, সে হিসেবে এই বক্তব্যের প্রয়োজন ছিল না। চীনাদের কেউ ভুল বুঝিয়েছে। তাই তারা বাংলাদেশকে নিয়ে টানাহেঁচড়া করছে।

সবার সঙ্গে সুন্দর ব্যবহারের চীনের যে নজির ছিল বেইজিং সেখান থেকে কিছুটা সরে আসছে জানিয়ে তিনি বলেন, আগে তারা অনেক সতর্ক ছিল কিন্তু এখন এর অভাব দেখা দিচ্ছে। এটি তাদের জন্য ভালো হবে কিনা সেটি ভবিষ্যতে বোঝা যাবে।

ডিপ্লোমেটিক করেসপন্ডেন্ট অ্যাসোসিয়েশনের আয়োজিত এক অনুষ্ঠানে চীনা রাষ্ট্রদূত বলেন, ‌চীন মনে করে কোয়াড একটি গ্রুপ এবং এটি চীনবিরোধী। আমি এটি পরিষ্কার করে বলতে চাই। কোয়াড নিজেকে অর্থনেতিক কাজে সম্পৃক্ত বলে দাবি করে, কিন্তু এটি সত্যি নয়। মূলত কোয়াড করা হয়েছে চীনের বিরোধীতার জন্য।

তিনি বলেন, 'এই চার সদস্য বিশিষ্ট ক্লাবে যোগ দিলে এটি বাংলাদেশের জন্য ভালো হবে না। কারণ এর ফলে চীনের সঙ্গে দ্বিপক্ষীয় সম্পর্ক চরমভাবে ক্ষতিগ্রস্ত হবে।'

এর আগে, ২৭ এপ্রিল চীনের প্রতিরক্ষা মন্ত্রী উই ফেঙ্গে একদিনের জন্য ঢাকা সফরে আসেন। এরআগে, মার্চে ভারতের পররাষ্ট্রমন্ত্রী এস জয়শংকর ও এপ্রিলে ভারতের সেনা প্রধান ঢাকা সফর করেন। জয়শংকর ঢাকায় এসে বঙ্গোপসাগর কেন্দ্রিক সংযুক্তির অর্থাৎ ওই সাগর সন্নিবেশিত ৯টি দেশে চীনের উপস্থিতি কমানোর প্রতি ইঙ্গিত করেছিলেন।

Momen Kagu already made it quite clrear that we aren't interested in Quad.

View attachment 742350

I am usually very critical of Awami league and their policies

But this statement is exactly what the Dr ordered. FM Momen is right on the money!

India has no pretext to attack Bangladesh, offensive wars are against their constitution.
If BD stay neutral during the India- China war, India loses the entire north East. India needs BD roads, bridges, air space and water routes to transport her army and keep them well supplied in the NE.

In peace time India does this through the Chickens neck. But during war, not even a fly will cross chickens neck without it being hit by Chinese munitions.

If India loses the NE--- this means GOI will lose face and be bankrupted, the already agitated southern states will declare independence from the union.

For India this is a war for survival as a union. not offense.

BD is stuck between a rock and a hard place--- The only best option for BD is to a) Declare neutrality and B) quickly strengthen the military to enforce that neutrality.

Last edited:
China needs to open its checkbook and do what is necessary with its client state burma to take back its people....

There is no free lunch..... China can not wish BD neutrality when to do so we would have to risk our primary export market.

BD needs to stay out of this nonsense as much as possible. If the pressure is too much engineer a military coup or fake an internal or even external crisis to avoid making a descision. There are many many ways to delay any descision.

The journalists should have asked why China continuously supported Burma by using their veto power Against BD. Whether by so doing they sided with Burma and went against Bangladeshi interest and why they now expect BD to remain neutral and not join Quad.
BD wont join the QUAD.

But war is coming to BD...

This is nothing but beating drums of war..

You are a naive fanboy. I couldn't use the more appropriate word to describe you. Your continuous BS posting is getting boring now.

If BD stay neutral during the India- China war, India loses the entire north East. India needs BD roads, bridges, air space and water routes to transport her army and keep them well supplied in the NE.

In peace time India does this through the Chickens neck. But during war, not even a fly will cross chickens neck without it being hit by Chinese munitions.

If India loses the NE--- this means GOI will lose face and be bankrupted, the already agitated southern states will declare independence from the union.

For India this is a war for survival as a union. not offense.

BD is stuck between a rock and a hard place--- The only best option for BD is to a) Declare neutrality and B) quickly strengthen the military to enforce that neutrality.

India will not invade BD... India needn't invade when they can get what they want through diplomatic channels.

The journalists should have asked why China continuously supported Burma by using their veto power Against BD. Whether by so doing they sided with Burma and went against Bangladeshi interest and why they now expect BD to remain neutral and not join Quad.

You are a naive fanboy. I couldn't use the more appropriate word to describe you. Your continuous BS posting is getting boring now.
Sure

But my main point is neutrality, which exactly what your minister has stated. But by all means , if BD wishes to play power politics, go on !

Exactly whose fan boy am I ? I am saying BD should not join either Quad or China. It is you who is saying BD should join Quad. If anything , you are the very thing u accuse me of being.

Sure

But my main point is neutrality, which exactly what your minister has stated. But by all means , if BD wishes to play power politics, go on !

Exactly whose fan boy am I ? I am saying BD should not join either Quad or China. It is you who is saying BD should join Quad. If anything , you are the very thing u accuse me of being.

Yeah yeah whatever. Keep blabbering.

India will not invade BD... India needn't invade when they can get what they want through diplomatic channels.
Do that and you invite retaliation from CHina. I repeat if BD makes an enemy out of any of the following countries : USA , China, Russia. Bd will not survive as a nation state.

But by all means, having a small amount of cash makes BD feel she can play off the big boys against each other . BD should pursue that dream.

It will be very amusing.

But in my opinion, MR Momen is right. BD should be neutral . Opting for neither Quad or China.

In my opinion:

1) what formal alliance is BD part of ? If BD allows India to use BD roads and bridges, than BD is part and parcel of the IA. BD and Indian targets will become fair game. Those roads and bridges will be first targets. Quad wont defend BD . You are overplaying BD's importance.

2) Regardless of China can or can't take on Quad, the point to take home is who ever sides with Quad ,China will consider that country enemy. As such will become a target of Chinese weapons during war with Quad, should it happen.

3) No one will want to make that distinction about civilian and military. what ever target they feel will secure their interests. That all that matters.

4) Neutrality is the best and only option. Anything else is absolute disaster. In this instance, I completely agree FM Momen. BD must not pick sides in this feud between Quad and China. Whatever short term gains BD gets, is not worth it in the long term.

5) If you feel BD as a country can freely pursuit and bargain its interest in the international arena without blessing of and/or BD can survive as a nation state after making an enemy of either : USA, China , Russia. Then maybe we should talk about Disney land.

6) this statement by FM Momen is right on the money. BD must remain strictly neutral.

7) Public announcement is not a sign of weakness. Rather , a very formal and public warning. The Chinese also want BD to be neutral in a conflict between China and Quad.

If BD allows IA to use its territory then BD has joined the quad. It will then share the burden and enjoy the benefits of that alliance.

If BD has not joined the quad and IA forces its way through then IA has just invaded BD.

In the first scenario chinese action will illicit an alliance response and in the second scenario will illicit a potential chinese response in support of BD.

You have not throught it through clearly. BD can choose to be or not be in the quad and there are pros and cons in both options. BD needs to play the game. Public pronouncements are weaknesses never strength, only fools shout. Quad is not a concrete alliance and China is not strong enough to challenge it should it materialise. The opposing forces are laying out their stalls. BD simply need to watch and assess.

Last edited:
If BD allows IA to use its territory then BD has joined the quad. It will then share the burden and enjoy the benefits of that alliance.

If BD has not joined the quad and IA forces its way through then IA has just invaded BD.

In the first scenario chinese action will illicit an alliance response and in the second scenario will illicit a potential chinese response in support of BD.

You have not throught it through clearly. BD can choose to be or not be in the quad and there are pros and cons in both options. BD needs to play the game. Public pronouncements are weaknesses never strength, only fools shout. Quad is not a concrete alliance and China ia not strong enough to challenge it should it materialise. The opposing forces are laying out their stalls. BD simply need to watch and assess.
And that is precisely why I have been saying all along that BD should remain neutral. Mr Momen is correct in his statement. Mr Momen is right development should be the focus, not war. Military strength needed so that no one forces you to take a side. Which India will try to arm twist BD into. Either through military or diplomatic action soon. The Chinese statement is more towards India than towards the rest of the Quad.

In either scenario BD loses . Why not just take benefit from both sides ? And no BD is no position to anger either party. You think the Chinese are fools ? or the Americans.

These nations are anything but fools. Their statements are well calculated and thought out. You don't get to be the no. 1 and no. 3 power in the world by being weak and foolish. The Chinese are not stupid that they will take on USA without Russia. USA is not stupid enough to fight China and Russia without NATO. USA has all the means to dictate terms in NATO , irrespective the nature of the agreement. USA is the chief of NATO and they will do exactly what they are told by USA.

Dont think USA, China and Russia are fools. It is BD who will be foolish to try and dictate terms to these nations and try to play them off for fools.

And that is precisely why I have been saying all along that BD should remain neutral. Mr Momen is correct in his statement. Mr Momen is right development should be the focus, not war. Military strength needed so that no one forces you to take a side. Which India will try to arm twist BD into. Either through military or diplomatic action soon. The Chinese statement is more towards India than towards the rest of the Quad.

In either scenario BD loses . Why not just take benefit from both sides ? And no BD is no position to anger either party. You think the Chinese are fools ? or the Americans.

These nations are anything but fools. Their statements are well calculated and thought out. You don't get to be the no. 1 and no. 3 power in the world by being weak and foolish. The Chinese are not stupid that they will take on USA without Russia. USA is not stupid enough to fight China and Russia without NATO. USA has all the means to dictate terms in NATO , irrespective the nature of the agreement. USA is the chief of NATO and they will do exactly what they are told by USA.

Dont think USA, China and Russia are fools. It is BD who will be foolish to try and dictate terms to these nations and try to play them off for fools.

What are you talking about? Who has said anything about BD dictating terms.

It is BD who is being pursued and it is up to respective parties to make their offer. BD needs to take up the most attractive offer or simply string everyone along. The rule of diplomacy is you never say no.

India can not force anything without illiciting a response and pushing us towards china. If two paradigms crystallise room for maneuvers descreases for all parties and BD can not be arm twisted.

Your position is india can somehow bully BD into something.... well no it can not particularly if the spotlight is firmly on us.

Do that and you invite retaliation from CHina. I repeat if BD makes an enemy out of any of the following countries : USA , China, Russia. Bd will not survive as a nation state.

But by all means, having a small amount of cash makes BD feel she can play off the big boys against each other . BD should pursue that dream.

It will be very amusing.

But in my opinion, MR Momen is right. BD should be neutral . Opting for neither Quad or China.

Who said anything about BD having money ? Why do you bring that up ?

Got an issue with that ? Of course you do, that statement made it clear..

The GoB knows how to handle this situation better than anyone on any forum online, I'll leave them to it.

It is BD who is being pursued and it is up to respective parties to make their offer. BD needs to take up the most attractive offer or simply string everyone along. The rule of diplomacy is you never say no.

India can not force anything without illiciting a response and pushing us towards china. If two paradigms crystallise room for maneuvers descreases for all parties and BD can not be arm twisted.

Your position is india can somehow bully BD into something.... well no it can not particularly if the spotlight is firmly on us.

Do not pander these made up and wholly hypothetical scenarios of his.. can't even reply appropriately with proof of government stance because I don't know whether he reads Bangla or is even from Bangladesh (unlikely).

India is more than capable to arm twist BD militarily or diplomatically depending on their mood.
BD can push towards china, but that will cause a devastating response from India. The same thing will happen if BD swing towards india.

You cannot say no to anyone here, nor can you say yes. This not a business meeting . Rather military alliance in the making.

The best thing for BD is to remain secular and neutral. No angering anyone. Just focusing on development, especially military. But the biggest question is can BD maintain her neutrality ?

MR momen is on the money here . He wants what is best for his country.

Who said anything about BD having money ? Why do you bring that up ?

Got an issue with that ? Of course you do, that statement made it clear..
Your GOB is talking in line with what I have just said: BD must not choose any side between QUAD or China. Stay neutral.

It is your over enthusiastic country men who are jumping up and down, pretending to be great game players.

Last edited:

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom