What's new

Behaving ‘responsibly’: BJP caught in a dilemma over response to Uri attack

[Bregs]

Reaction score
Country
India
Prime Minister Narendra Modi might have given some talking points to the BJP to address the “jaw-for-a-tooth” clamour following last Sunday’s attack on Uri army base . The party was in a dilemma over how to aggressively pitch its nationalist credentials amid growing clamour for a befitting reply to the perpetrators of the terror attack (read Pakistan).

The draft political resolution, to be adopted by the party’s national council on Sunday, did not mention the Uri attack when it came up for discussion by senior party leaders on Friday. Party president Amit Shah addressed them but skipped any reference to Uri attack or Pakistan. He said that the BJP, as the ruling party, has to behave “responsibly” even as he stressed that the party has to walk the talk in terms of delivery. Shah is not known to be too subtle in delivering messages but for once, some office-bearers had many questions in their minds.

Read | PM Modi hits out at Pakistan, says India won’t forget Uri attack

The final resolution that the apex decision-making body will pass on Sunday is likely to reflect the PM’s aggressive rhetoric against Pakistan but not matching it with action could still leave the BJP vulnerable.

The ruling party is conscious of the public outrage over the Uri attack, especially among its cadre and supporters. “We couldn’t do anything after the attack on the Pathankot air base. We could justify it because Pakistani PM Nawaz Sharif called Modiji and promised action against the perpetrators. If we don’t do anything after the Uri attack, how will our cadre and supporters react? They will think there is no difference between Modiji and Manmohan Singh, between BJP and Congress,” said a senior BJP functionary.

The party might have opted for rhetorical bravado but the government has advised it “not to go overboard” while attempting to match the expectations of the party cadre. Defence minister Manohar Parrikar told party leaders early this week that their statements should be “moderate, not shrill”, said sources. The reason for this guarded approach is the fact that the government does not want to take any retaliatory action immediately, said sources. Its priority is to isolate Pakistan diplomatically, as the Prime Minister spelt out at his public rally on Saturday evening.

The BJP finds itself in a cleft stick: The government wants it to be moderate but its core constituency of supporters expects it to live up to its promises made while in opposition. Moderation or restraint is not the core strength of BJP, which used to pan former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh for being “weak” in responding to cross-border terror. As opposition leader, Swaraj wanted 10 Pakistani heads for one of an Indian soldier. Such aggressive posturing while in opposition has returned to haunt the ruling party now.

Read | Modi goes beyond knee-jerk reaction to Uri as he harps on Pak’s vulnerabilities

http://www.hindustantimes.com/natio...-uri-attack/story-pyMQ22EXwmqzteCLDhuCyJ.html

Might be possible, thats why unusually so, the PM gave public response to biggest attack on army in 26 yrs from a party rally not from his office

Rubbish. His office is required to take ACTION, not offer platitudes. Speeches are required for party rally.

I am pretty sure Modi knows that.

so now according to your statement, india takes orders from us?

Not only is he claiming that, people seems to be agreeing with him too :P

I talked to some defense dudes, this news falls under plausible deniability or else there will be war.

https://www.thequint.com/uri-attack...and-kashmir-pakistan-neutralise-20-terrorists

P.S: Ask the pakistani's how they like the Naga Regiment.

Are you talkinga bout this incident ?

Posted from Quora
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This incident happened when Naga Regiment was newly raised in the Indian Army and Pakis had no clue what material the Nagas were made of! (Those with a weak stomach may please skip reading this incident further.)

The Nagas were also given the customary welcome on their induction, but they did not retaliate. Then, for the next two consecutive nights, a couple of **** soldiers would cross over to the Indian side, lob hand-grenades at the Naga post and run back. On the third night, a few Naga soldiers laid an ambush and caught 2 Pakis. They brought the **** soldiers back enough to be hidden from the **** OP sights. They tied the Pakis to a tree, lit a fire and performed a traditional Naga dance! Then they chopped a leg off one of the **** soldiers and literally barbecued it over the fire. Both the **** soldiers were let off the next morning, but not before the were made to hear this dialogue between a Naga Havildar and a Sepoy:

Sepoy: "Ustaad, inko rakhte hain, bilkul chicken jaisa taste hai."
(Soldier says "Boss, let's keep these two here. They taste exactly like chicken")

Havildar: "Nahi re, inko jaane do, yeh dono bahut kamjor hain. Ab yahan 3 saal rehna hai; tu tension mat le, aur bahut mote tagde milenge."
(Sergeant replies "NO, Let them go. They are too weak. We have to stay for 3 more years here. Be relaxed. We will get fatter specimens to eat)

This news spread like wildfire, and the Pakis (Baluch Regiment) across the LOC were thereafter not to be seen even through binoculars, till the Naga battalion was replaced by another unit after 3 years.

@[Bregs] Now is not the time to play politics....

have i ? i do not even enter political section. i will be the last man to oppose Indian govt on foreign forums unlike others. its news regarding Uri attack and probable response of PM so pls don't shoot the messenger

1106514-cool_story_bro_super.jpg

Actions speak louder than the words.

:woot::rofl: OMFG

It seems like a lot of people are, Congytards and AAPtards have all come together to play politics over this incident.

Hindustan times is congress/USSR leaning just like Times of India is BJP/West leaning ....

Here is the clue....

Why did Congress petition US to ban Modi?

True, but we are debating his words , are we not ? :cheesy:

He has promised action and I guess we just have to wait for that. I continue to keep faith.

You can wait.

Did you understand my question, Why did Congress petition US to ban Modi?

The point is not whether if he would take action or not but whether whatever action he would take is in the best interest of India or US?

Here are some of his actions. Let me know which of these benefitted India vs US?

1) Drug Patent deal (first day in office)

2) Paris Climate change deal

3) Waive Nuclear liability for Nuclear deal

4) Allowing GMO seeds & foods

5) LSA deal (CISMOA & BECA in progress)

6) SCS partnership

You can wait.

Did you understand my question, Why did Congress petition US to ban Modi?

The point is not whether if he would take action or not but whether whatever action he would take is in the best interest of India or US?

Here are some of his actions. Let me know which of these benefitted India vs US?

1) Drug Patent deal (first day in office)

2) Paris Climate change deal

3) Waive Nuclear liability for Nuclear deal

4) Allowing GMO seeds & foods

5) LSA deal (CISMOA & BECA in progress)

6) SCS partnership

From where I stand, ALL these 6 actions seems to benefit both Indian AND the US.

Its called a Win-Win.

You need to explain in detail HOW any one of them is bad for India.

I really don't care why CONgress petitioned the US to ban Modi. All that matters to me is that CONgress DID petition the US. And That forever damns them in my book.

From where I stand, ALL these 6 actions seems to benefit both Indian AND the US.

Its called a Win-Win.

You really think these actions benefitted India? I am all ears and eyes to get educated.

I will but I asked the question first.

I really don't care why CONgress petitioned the US to ban Modi. All that matters to me is that CONgress DID petition the US. And That forever damns them in my book.

When I was young when we had a problem with the neighborhood bully, we would go to his parents to complain about their child's behavior.... I leave it up to you to draw your own inference...

Back
Top Bottom