What's new

'Beef Festival' in India Sets Off Outrage and Misogyny

Yes, because McDonalds in India does not serve beef. After all, a nation's secular credentials are determined by the junk food menu at McDonalds and not by its Constitution.

What if a Muslim, Sikh, or a Christian wants a regular big mac made of beef.

I guess I was wrong. According to this article, no chicken either. McDonald in India is all vegetarian :bad:

Where's The Beef?

By Erin Petrun

It's got the same old golden arches, the same efficient counter help slinging cheap eats, just the way they do everywhere from Poughkeepsie to Port Arthur. But in India, there's something missing at the world's fast food giant: hamburgers. That's right - McDonald's signature snack and its most recognizable symbol is nowhere to be found in one of the biggest countries on earth.

According to Amit Jatia, a JV partner of McDonalds India, "It is the only country in the world for sure that does not offer beef at all. Maybe other countries may do pork burgers, but in India, we definitely have no pork or beef at all." That's not to say Indian restaurants don't sell patties on buns. But instead of ground round, Indian burgers are 100 percent vegetarian - burger look-a-likes of potatoes, peas, and carrots, with a little Indian spice thrown in. :bad:

India is the world's vegetarian paradise. Nearly all of the one billion people living here eat meat only occasionally, or not at all. Beef never shows up on the menu. India is home to the Hindu religion, which preaches non-violence. Believers fear the karmic consequences of harming other creatures.

That's why cows are... well... sacred cows, pampered and allowed to wander at will through streets across the Indian subcontinent. They're never served up for dinner. Sheela Krishnaswamy, a nutritionist says "So that belief has been rooted so deep in the Indian mindset that most of us have continued to be vegetarians, and even those of us who have turned to non-veg foods don't eat it as often as people in other countries do."

Mention "fast food" to an Indian, and he's likely to think of this -- open-air restaurants that serve up giant pancakes with spicy fillings for a few cents. Even the big cheese at McDonalds India is a vegetarian. Jatia tells his co-workers, "What moms tell us is that typically it's very hard to get their kids to eat vegetables, rice on its own. But when it's put together in a patty, and then you get it in a burger format, then kids absolutely love it."

But what would most Indian kids know as a hamburger, isn't really a hamburger. Still, it doesn't make it healthy for you. Even veggie burgers get bad raps. "The patty is deep fried, there's loads of cheese and mayonnaise, the bun used is made with refined flour," says Krishnaswamy. "The only healthy part is the lettuce leaf and the tomato and the cucumber and what little salad is used."

So, could eggplant milkshakes and McTurnips be next?
By Lucy Craft

Where's The Beef? - CBS News

We should offer to hold this event in Pakistan. I mean when we have problems with terrorism it is not unusual that we hold cricket matches in Dubai. We should as a gesture of friendship to India hold it in Pakistan. There would be no security issues

What if a Muslim, Sikh, or a Christian wants a regular big mac made of beef.

I have come across a very few Muslims who will eat beef big mac at McDonalds. They rather choose to turn vegetarian at such places coz the meat is not halal.. Do you eat at McDonalds?

I have come across a very few Muslims who will eat beef big mac at McDonalds. They rather choose to turn vegetarian at such places coz the meat is not halal.. Do you eat at McDonalds?

I do. Some outlets in UK are or have been advertising halal Mcdonalds. I love the quarter pounders and junk food lol. Would recommend it to anyone even though it is unhealthy. lol

All the McDonald's I've seen are Halal. Never seen any Muslim who had an issue of 'halal' with McDonald's.

Mutton Big Macs - that would taste just....funny.... Would still love to try one of those though.

In India, where the high Hindu population means that beef is not common, the Big Mac was renamed the Maharaja Mac and was originally made with lamb instead of beef; however, along with the company's other items it is now made from chicken.
Big Mac - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

first of all u never been to india any time ....:no:.
Well about beef no one is stopping you to eat beef infact its availaible every where even in the muslims resturant as well and this its not something new FYI .
Its not only the muslims even the christians of india have a consumption of beed in india, most of us do not prefer MAC food there reason is its a junk food . so most of the people who prefer to have beef Often have it at resturants which is prepared in a desi style :toast_sign:

In India, where the high Hindu population means that beef is not common, the Big Mac was renamed the Maharaja Mac and was originally made with lamb instead of beef; however, along with the company's other items it is now made from chicken.
Big Mac - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

first of all u never been to india any time ....:no:.
Well about beef no one is stopping you to eat beef infact its availaible every where even in the muslims resturant as well and this its not something new FYI .
Its not only the muslims even the christians of india have a consumption of beed in india, most of us do not prefer MAC food there reason is its a junk food . so most of the people who prefer to have beef Often have it at resturants which is prepared in a desi style :toast_sign:

lets be honest only Muslim restaurants prepare good beef dishes . some Chinese ones also have them in their menus. but nothing can beat good old ghar ka khana . i love the kheema made at home and beef chops.

Back
Top Bottom