What's new

Beauty of India and its People

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't tell me I am insecure when you will be working for me the rest of your life.

I won't post my picture because you will comeout of the closet and fall in love with me.

no offense but i couldn't resist this.....

this line is one of the best on PDF.

:rofl:

@topic

more indian snacks....

Pao Bhaji-

PavBhaji%20nn.jpg

080442dc9cf180cdff325eadffdb15ae.jpg

Bhel

PS: my mom makes awesome bhel..... :chilli:

b4ee1879b396d246dacb04b2860cbc5b.jpg

ed3d39153dff35d3baadf75a9ffbeeac.jpg

:D

Here is another amazing story I watched and read in National Geographic and sharing it here..

Rats Rule at Indian Temple
Karni Mata - Rats Temple

Rats Rule at Indian Temple

The floors are a living tangle of undulating fur. Small, brown blurs scurry across marble floors. Thousands of rats dine with people and scamper over their feet.

It may sound like a nightmare from the New York City subway to some, but in India's small northwestern city of Deshnoke, this is a place of worship: Rajastan's famous Karni Mata Temple.

This ornate, isolated Hindu temple was constructed by Maharaja Ganga Singh in the early 1900s as a tribute to the *** goddess, Karni Mata. Intricate marble panels line the entrance and the floors, and silver and gold decorations are found throughout.

But by far the most intriguing aspect of the interior is the 20,000-odd rats that call this temple home. These holy animals are called kabbas, and many people travel great distances to pay their respects.

The legend goes that Karni Mata, a mystic matriarch from the 14th century, was an incarnation of Durga, the goddess of power and victory. At some point during her life, the child of one of her clansmen died. She attempted to bring the child back to life, only to be told by Yama, the god of death, that he had already been reincarnated.

Karni Mata cut a deal with Yama: From that point forward, all of her tribespeople would be reborn as rats until they could be born back into the clan.

In Hinduism, death marks the end of one chapter and the beginning of a new one on the path to a soul's eventual oneness with the universe. This cycle of transmigration is known as samsara and is precisely why Karni Mata's rats are treated like royalty.

Gautam Ghosh, professor of anthropology and Asian studies at the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia, noted how rare this ***-worshipping temple is. "In India, as in the West, rats aren't treated with particular veneration."

In Hinduism, many deities take animals forms. "The main theological point is that there's no dividing line between what forms gods or goddesses can use," said Rachel Fell McDermott, professor of Asian and Middle Eastern cultures at Barnard College in New York City. "There's nothing to say they can't take form as a fish, a bird, or even a ***."

Ghosh noted that this temple is linked to the royal family who ruled Bikaner, a nearby city. When a Hindu royal family is seeking greater power, they look to the local cults for a patron god—or, according to London-based art historian George Michell, usually a goddess—to help them attain that power.

The male gods are not as powerful for direct involvement in people's lives, he explained, so cults surrounding local goddesses are commonly used to help sway things in their favor. "Kings who want to be powerful in India must be protected by goddesses," Michell said. This is how the Karni Mata Temple was established.

The temple draws Hindu visitors from across the country hoping for blessings, as well as curious tourists from around the world. Inside, where shoes are not permitted, tourists and worshippers alike hope to have rats run across their feet for good luck.

Eating food or drinking water that previously has been sampled by a *** is considered to be a supreme blessing. But there is one rare blessing that draws the most attention: the sighting of a white ***.

Out of all of the thousands of rats in the temple, there are said to be four or five white rats, which are considered to be especially holy. They are believed be the manifestations of Karni Mata herself and her kin. Sighting them is a special charm, and visitors put in extensive efforts to bring them forth, offering prasad, a candylike food.

Unlike the rest of the world, where rats are commonly killed for inhabiting the same space as humans, in this temple the *** residents are treated with sincere devotion. The veneration is so complete that if someone accidentally steps on a *** and kills it, they are expected to buy a gold or silver *** and place it in the temple as atonement.

For an animal that is commonly associated with pestilence and disease, this may seem strange. But during the century of this temple's existence, there has never been an outbreak of plague or other ratborne illness among the humans who have visited—which may be a miracle in itself.

http://img155.imageshack.us/i/rats1.jpg/

http://img695.imageshack.us/i/rats2.jpg/

http://img524.imageshack.us/i/rats3.jpg/

http://img535.imageshack.us/i/rats4t.jpg/

http://img193.imageshack.us/i/rats5.jpg/

I get banned for a month and some new chokri from Pakistan who joined in Feb 2010 with the rank of Colonel is posting positive stuff on India. Seems like my absence does make PDF create wonders :D

I get banned for a month and some new chokri from Pakistan who joined in Feb 2010 with the rank of Colonel is posting positive stuff on India. Seems like my absence does make PDF create wonders :D

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh she is sleeping dont wake her :lol:

And she has posted more posts than you :P

Positive stuffs about India? Take a pinch of salt sir.

BTW welcome back, was missing you :cheers:

Hey I am not nice... ;)

Ok let me be honest with you... My original intention of starting this thread was not so noble one... (I had something else in mind ;)) :rofl:.. but then some Indian members started thanking me for starting this thread.. and it melted my heart :cry::cry: especially gowthamaraj... I even ended giving up my racism (for a few days only :rofl:).. and had a fight with one of my previous buddies - whiteknight1... with whom I had teamed up in other threads... :lol:

I don't know why but someone's post really touched my heart.. and I will be a good girl for the next few days...

Hey I am not nice...

Ok let me be honest with you... My original intention of starting this thread was not so noble one... (I had something else in mind ;)) :rofl:.. but then some Indian members started thanking me for starting this thread.. and it melted my heart :cry::cry: especially gowthamaraj... I even ended giving up my racism (for a few days only :rofl:).. and had a fight with one of my previous buddies - whiteknight1... with whom I had teamed up in other threads... :lol:

I don't know why but someone's post really touched my heart.. and I will be a good girl for the next few days...

So good little girl now you can also tell what were your intentions...:smitten:

well you impressed me really. It really takes heart to say that and you said that so easily.

13d3878e955ca3c07584c86edcbc8f5e.jpg

I officially hate all of you now :P mods ban all of them lol this is emotional harassment :cry:
posting pics of any foods should be banned lol

Hey I am not nice... ;)

Okay makes sense. I usually prefer it when the Pakistanis, Indians , Chinese and Bangladeshis throw punches on this forum. Usually I join in to help the Indians and I then get banned as the mods believe that I am the unfair advantage to the Indian side. Like Tendulkar in the cricket team and Agni in the Indian army, they usually use me as a last resort. But heck thanks for your positive stuff on India but do let the games begin sista :cheers:

Hey I am not nice... ;)

Ok let me be honest with you... My original intention of starting this thread was not so noble one... (I had something else in mind ;)) :rofl:.. but then some Indian members started thanking me for starting this thread.. and it melted my heart :cry: especially gowthamaraj... I even ended giving up my racism (for a few days only :rofl:).. and had a fight with one of my previous buddies - whiteknight1... with whom I had teamed up in other threads... :lol:

whatever your intention was.....

but a sincere thanks from me for giving me an opportunity to tell Pakistani's, Even some Indians... about my city, my state and most importantly my India.....
and in this process i made 1 pakistani friend too..... :taz:

hope you keep getting people who touch your heart

:D

hi keenguy we indians have a lot more reasons to thank almighty for bringing mr.jinnah to this world. And planet warrior if u read the first reply on this thread u will know that we knew her intentions were not good. But i've learned more abt india by searching for pics for this thread. Jai hind

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom