What's new

BD almost catches up with India in GDP PPP per capita

The actual point of this thread is to destroy once and for all the argument that BBS "fakes" the GDP data.

As PPP does not rely on BD government statistics, then we are not seeing the usual BD trolls arguing that the data is not real.

I expect that as the proportion of goods and services provided by BD companies to rise relatively quicker than India over the course of this decade, when compared with 1%+ extra GDP growth as we have seen over the last decade, then BD would be around 20% higher in per capita PPP by 2030.

BBS does not fake its stats. However BD is a developing country and it has beauracratic and systemic weaknesses.

Economic stats are always predicated on assumptions and this allows for robust discussions that unfortunately sometimes are hijacked by crackpots.

There is no need to defend BBS or BDs track record. Our growth and economic trajectory is set. Have confidence not to react particularly from subcontinental shills whose deeply held narratives are shaken by BDs progress.

In terms of your PPP projections, well I absolutely do not believe PPP is a measure that ever should be used to compare two countries. It should be used only in historical analysis of a country as it is an excellent measure of economic evolution.

Your projection may come about, I wont say anything regarding impact on PPP between India and BD for the reasons above and as described in the article I shared.

BD GDP per capita will rise and hopefully will near double digit growth with correct GoB policy support. BD should take its place as one of the top 20 economies in absolute size within the next 15 to 20 years if demographic advantage is fully exploited.

Last edited:
With an energy crisis, I am not sure how it's going to move forward from this point on.
Garments owners are screaming for power.

Hasina missed the boat on off shore energy exploration.

You lot were complaining she was wasting money on excess energy.

Particularly roopur and coal power.

Fortunately she didn’t listen to you lot.

I've actually never lived in BD and I'm still relatively young - but compared to retirement in the UK, Iv no doubt BD will be better.

I'd rather have several servants in my own big bangla in a warm country than rely on my children in cold, stressful UK.

In fact, I think every non resident BD or Indian should consider retiring back home. Good for the economy, good for your spirit and less burden on your children.
As long as you can afford the healthcare in BD.

In terms of your PPP projections, well I absolutely do not believe PPP is a measure that ever should be used to compare two countries. It should be used only in historical analysis of a country as it is an excellent measure of economic evolution.

Why not?

PPP when combined with GDP nominal tells us a lot about the structure of economies.

When comparing BD and India it told us that 10-15 years ago that BD was importing a lot of expensive stuff 10 years ago and India was producing more of it's products and services that were cheaper.

Remember the important use of PPP is it gives a better measure of living standards than looking at nominal GDP per capita which does not take into account currency fluctuations.

Both nominal and PPP have their uses to tell us about economies and making comparisons between them.

There is no point with giving facts and logic to this lot.

There are only a handful BD posters here who are knowledgeable and intelligent enough to understand economics on pdf.

Remember one even had a long-running thread named "Fake BBS Statistics" that this thread has totally destroyed!

Last edited:
Why not?

PPP when combined with GDP nominal tells us a lot about the structure of economies.

When comparing BD and India it told us that 10-15 years ago that BD was importing a lot of expensive stuff 10 years ago and India was producing more of it's products and services that were cheaper.

Remember the important use of PPP is it gives a better measure of living standards than looking at nominal GDP per capita which does not take into account currency fluctuations.

Both nominal and PPP have their uses to tell us about economies and making comparisons between them.

There are only a handful BD posters here who are knowledgeable and intelligent enough to understand economics on pdf.

Remember one even had a long-running thread named "Fake BBS Statistics" that this thread has totally destroyed!

Have a read of the paper i sent, its a very famous paper.

I suppose you can make very rough conclusions. PPP can not tell the whole story particularly when it comes to tarrif and para tarrif scenario between two countries. It can not account for fiscal or monetary policy nor basic economic policies that two countries might implement.

Let me give a very basic example. BD did not manufacture mobile phones ten years ago. It does so now. In PPP terms i suppose if mobile was included it will raise BDs PPP income.

Lets compare that to india which still does not manufacture mobiles and in this sector their progress has been lower than that BD in technical terms. However, due to economies of scale and FTA/PTAs with major trading blocks mobile costs cheaper in india. Similarly if mobile was part of the basket of goods and services PPP increase in india would be higher because of intersectionality between their size, trading regime and industrial development. Unfortunately PPP can not incorporate all these subtleties. PPP is too subjective and does not work between countries but is a good measure for historical analysis of a country.

If you are targeting nonsensical BBS is fake thread, write there. I will assist if I can. BBS data is not fake. They have challenges and could do better but are not fake.

All these discussions about muh PPP, muh GDP are pointless.

Half the population in the subcontinent are less productive than a free range chicken. These crowd will never find decent employment. To make matters worse, modern factories are so highly efficient, automated and productive, that you don't actually need that many people in factory jobs. And unless you work in a modern factory, don't expect a half-decent salary. Simply put, the door has closed for most of these people forever.

Only about 20-30% of Ind-Pak-BD's population have any chance to become somewhat affluent and they will have to subsidize the rest, forever.

We are simply never going to reach middle class status for the masses. None of the three countries will. Our vast population will just barely scrape by. Sarkari subsidy (by taxing the tiny middle class and above) will make their life somewhat bearable.

Lets compare that to india which still does not manufacture mobiles

Bruh.

All these discussions about muh PPP, muh GDP are pointless.

Half the population in the subcontinent are less productive than a free range chicken. These crowd will never find decent employment. To make matters worse, modern factories are so highly efficient, automated and productive, that you don't actually need that many people in factory jobs. And unless you work in a modern factory, don't expect a half-decent salary. Simply put, the door has closed for most of these people forever.

Only about 20-30% of Ind-Pak-BD's population have any chance to become somewhat affluent and they will have to subsidize the rest, forever.

We are simply never going to reach middle class status for the masses. None of the three countries will. Our vast population will just barely scrape by. Sarkari subsidy (by taxing the tiny middle class and above) will make their life somewhat bearable.

Bruh.

Dude dont get hung up on the detail. I was trying to make the argument of compensating factors intersectioning where the sum of the impact was greater than individual parts...

It could have been articulated better using country X and Y... but we live and learn

As long as you can afford the healthcare in BD.
I would not use the "you lot" so generously as you do.
Reading my post would have helped you, certainly would not have hurt. India and Myanmar are extracting energy from offshore and not Bangladesh, hence the point of missing the boat.

Why not?

No single stat tells the full story.

Hence we are presented with multiple of them.

PPP is about internal purchasing power. Low ownership of smart phones and cars is reflected in that.

GDP per capita is about external purchasing power. Over two million tourists (many of them medical) to India tells a story.

As you said, the rota learning YouTube idiots cannot comprehend. They can only regurgitate.

Thank god our Sylheti parents and grandparents headed west in the 1960s 🤣🤣🤣

No single stat tells the full story.

Hence we are presented with multiple of them.

PPP is about internal purchasing power. Low ownership of smart phones and cars is reflected in that.

GDP per capita is about external purchasing power. Over two million tourists (many of them medical) to India tells a story.

As you said, the rota learning YouTube idiots cannot comprehend. They can only regurgitate.

Thank god our Sylheti parents and grandparents headed west in the 1960s 🤣🤣🤣

I do not think it is just the education system with a lot of them.

They fundamentally are not smart enough as if they had the intelligence over time they will have learnt the ability to think critically.

Smart people take information from different sources, filter out the "noise", and then come to their own conclusions. These clowns just regurgitate whatever they read/see and if it "feels right" to them then that is their opinion.

Not their fault as they are interested in stuff beyond what their brains allow them to comprehend.

India assembles a lot more mobiles than BD. The mobile factories in BD mostly assembles but some such as walton is now producing all of the parts except chips.

In terms of value addition BD has surpassed india in some ways when it comes to mobile manufacturing. Check the posts in the forum particularly with respect to Walton. Whilst walton may not yet have scale their technical mastery exceeds any indian mobile manufacturer. Happy to be proved wrong.

My example was not good as i have already stated, i was not trying to take a dig at india. The post could have been better articulated.

National geographic programme on Walton.

India assembles a lot more mobiles than BD. The mobile factories in BD mostly assembles but some such as walton is now producing all of the parts except chips.

In terms of value addition BD has surpassed india in some ways when it comes to mobile manufacturing. Check the posts in the forum particularly with respect to Walton. Whilst walton may not yet have scale their technical mastery exceeds any indian mobile manufacturer. Happy to be proved wrong.

My example was not good as i have already stated, i was not trying to take a dig at india. The post could have been better articulated.

BD is even catching up with India in value-addition in pharma as the API Park is now up and running.

With BD you are seeing slow initial increase in industrial production but what there is is coming mainly from domestic companies, rather than more of MNCs that you have been seeing from India.

I've actually never lived in BD and I'm still relatively young - but compared to retirement in the UK, Iv no doubt BD will be better.

I'd rather have several servants in my own big bangla in a warm country than rely on my children in cold, stressful UK.

In fact, I think every non resident BD or Indian should consider retiring back home. Good for the economy, good for your spirit and less burden on your children.
Same notion, I stayed for 8 years in UK.
We used to discuss Britain used to rule all over world but why they choose to retire in a country with miserable weather?

Thick as mince some of them.

Economics is a complex subject that spans many disciplines and this area is beyond their limited abilities.
I'm glad that we have someone here named @UKBengali who has unlimited ability to understand economics.

Perhaps some of his sidekicks also have some ability to understand it! :undecided:

Except the first line, everything else is BS.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom