What's new

Bangladesh's Refugees Dream Of Pakistan

In my book any one who opted for Pakistan until 1951 ( official cut - off date for travel between India and Pakistan without Passport at certain entry points) is a Pakistani. Pakistan was created for the all the muslims of the British India.

Regrettably, Mr Z A Bhutto, being afraid that most of Beharis will end up in Sindh and tilt the balance of population in the favour mohajirs even more;
was against bringing them back. Bengla Deshis elected to seperate, however, the Beharis remained loyal to the very end. It is a travesty of justice, that while Pakistan welcomed three million Afghan refugees; most of them will never go back; but will not assist in the repatriation of the Pakistanis from Bangla Desh.

Just to clarify, I am not a Behari;I am just from an older generation, who still remembers the 'raison d'etre' of why Pakistan was created in the first place.
Hopefully someone from this generation will make a difference.

As you can see everybody here is more or less in favor to repatriate these Pakistanis back home.

We should welcome everyone who adopted the Pakistan ideology till 1951. Anyone else should be asked to follow procedures of naturalization to become a Pakistani. 300,000 isn't a large number. It won't even go noticed. Plus the repatriation is likely to take 5 years or a decade.

My grandparents immigrated from india at the time of the partition. i think that these people should be brought back to pakistan as soon as possible also i think MQM also wanted these people back in pakistan. i think i read this in one of the newspapers or i may have heard this on a television station. the good think is that someone is campaining to get these people whom.
i have got to solute these people who while living in such bad condition still maintain there loyal to pakistan. i think we should kick all the afghans out and allow these poeple to come in there place.

there are a lot of people who were born here after the Independence and speak Bengali.Yes some want to become Pakistanis and leave Bangladesh but not all of them have the same goal.
There are some who are demanding to be given BD citizenship,don't dream of Pakistan and voting rights,etc. and I am with them.the way they live is horrible.I know the govt have their hands full but they should give some thought to these people.

there were some articles about these people.I will post them soon.

no sir' we want to be in Pakistan and not in BD (with respect) sure we are disheartened to an extend by the neglect of this issue by the govt of Pakistan but over all we opted for Pakistan supported it in 71 one of my relatives lost everything after the war we don't have much except the hope of returning to the country of our choice and that is Pakistan.
thank you

Does Pakistan still reserves the right to take Bangladesh back? I hope the time comes, when we will be able to not just help them, but make them part of us again. You cant clap with two hands.. there is a need for Bangladesh.

Urdu speaking Bangladeshi men want to go to Pakistan

Monday, 25 August 2008 00:46 Pakistan Daily

As thousands of new generation Urdu-speaking non-Bengalis register to be voters for the December polls, some among the elderly are protesting, insisting that they be sent to Pakistan.

Election Commission officials registered 12,280 people as voters, but said a many people living in the Geneva Camp in Mohammadpur locality declined registration. They wanted to be repatriated to Pakistan and protested at the registration process saying all Bengali's are Pakistani and not Bangladeshi.

The old generation that migrated from India when it was partitioned in 1947 and were stranded when Bangladesh came into being in 1971. Called "stranded Pakistanis" or "Biharis", since a bulk of them migrated from India’s Bihar province, they have been living in 160 camps across the country that are supervised by the International Committee of Red Cross for the last 37 years.

Pakistan’s forgotten residents

Pakistan’s forgotten residents

Tariq Al-Maeena | talmaeena@aol.com

In our prayers for the poor and oppressed of this world, including those in Palestine, Iraq and Afghanistan, we can be somewhat forgiven for ignoring the plight of more than a quarter million ghetto dwellers in squalid camps in Bangladesh. These are the Biharis, forgotten remnants of the 1971 Indo-Pak war leading to the birth of Bangladesh, and there are very few voices that bring their miserable conditions to the fore.

While the United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights states every person has a right to nationality, these “stranded Pakistanis” enjoy no such luxury. For the past 37 years, they have been languishing in 66 squalid camps spread across Bangladesh, each no bigger than a football field, with poor sanitation and shortage of running water.

Camp conditions are miserable, and large groups of families are often forced to share their living area with animals. They have no rights, have only limited job options and few, if any, economic prospects. They are refugees. Although they did not flee their country, their country appears to have forgotten them.

In pre-independence India, they were a Muslim minority in the state of Bihar. At the time of the partition in 1947, many moved to what was then East Pakistan. When civil war broke out between East and West Pakistan, the Biharis sided with the West. Subsequently in 1971, East Pakistan became the independent state of Bangladesh, and these Biharis who had been loyal to Pakistan were denied citizenship because they were deemed collaborators who had “supported the enemy”.

Their first choice was to leave the new nation and go to what was left of Pakistan. They expected to be welcomed, and they waited. Almost four decades later, they continue to wait in silence and despair. Pakistan initially denied them permission to emigrate, fearing a massive influx could destabilize the country. Now they find themselves in a legal limbo facing an even more despondent future.

A few groups have tried to help these people and come up with a worthy solution. One was the Rabita Trust established in 1988 under the auspices of the then Pakistani President Zia ul-Haque, and Dr. Abdullah Omar Naseef, the then secretary-general of the Muslim World League. They put forth a proposal to organize the repatriation of the stranded Pakistanis and settle them in the Punjab province of Pakistan. An estimated 40,000 homes were to be built and were to be freely allocated to those Biharis, funding coming primarily through donations. Over 3000 destitute families were issued Pakistani ID cards back in 1992 and over 1000 housing units were built in the Punjab to accommodate them. Unfortunately, funds were not forthcoming, and the political changes in Pakistan in recent years had slowly pushed this issue to the backburner. Meanwhile, the camp dwellers suffer in silence. The Pakistani Repatriation Council (PRC), made up of some dedicated individuals who want to see an end to this injustice, has been highlighting the issue of stranded Biharis and appealing to successive governments in Pakistan to resolve the problem. In their recent proposal, they suggest the following:

“The government of Bangladesh should be included as a full member of the Rabita Trust. Notwithstanding the fact that the Bangladeshi government had recently announced that they would selectively issue national passports for those born in the camps, their presence in the trust is essential.

“The Pakistani High Commissioner (ambassador) in Bangladesh should play an active part in ensuring the protection and security of these stranded refugees.

“The government of Pakistan should demand ‘refugee status’ from the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) for these people to allow them to receive essential UN aid in the form of food, medicine, education and other basic necessities until their issue is finally resolved.

“Those families who were previously issued Pakistani nationality cards and who still suffer in the camps should be repatriated as a matter of priority.

“The Rabita Trust, frozen by President Musharraf back in 2001 should be reactivated to allow the building projects to continue.

“Organization of the Islamic Conference (OIC) should include this matter on their agenda and persuade national and international aid organizations to extend necessary sustenance allowances until they are repatriated.

“The IDB, ADB and national banks must loosen their coffers to build an estimated 37,000 homes in Punjab province where land has been previously allocated for the remainder of these stranded Pakistanis.

“Gulf countries facing a shortage of semi-skilled labor due to an unprecedented building boom could offer meaningful employment to these people living beyond hope.”

Pakistan faces many challenges. But one of them should be the protection of rights for all its citizens. While the PRC is actively promoting the cause of these destitute people, it cannot do everything. It is our moral obligation to keep the issue alive.

The suffering of the "Bihari" Pakistanis in Bangladesh brings tears to the eye. I wish somebody in the establishment has the sense to sort this out. Everyday, people there are suffering, women are being raped by people who infiltrate the camps, and their cries are not heard by anyone.

It is a shame and discredit to us, that we have not been able to get them home. It's about time the center made some decisions, even if a particular province objects to it. We have hundreds of thousands of illegal bangladeshis living in Karachi, so why can we not have Bihari Pakistanis living in their own country?

There is also an anti-Bihari mentality which has been formented in northern india for centuries, esp people from u.p. Mainly because Bihar was the most populous and poorest state, with many of them migrating to other states for menial work. Some of that mentality has seeped into certain sections of the urdu speaking community in Pakistan, and it is time it was rooted out. Bihari's should be allowed to come back, and supported in making new lives for themselves. Ideally, they should be repatriated to all four provinces, but they will probably mostly end up in Karachi and Hyderabad, Sindh. If that is the case, the center should make special allowances and funding available for Sindh province to handle such an influx.

Sad situation indeed. Most if not all have never lived in Pakistan, they happened to migrate to East Pakistan after the partition so when Bangladesh broke away they became a part of her. Both Dhacca and Islamabad failed to solve the migration issue and now almost three decades later its impossible to take them back.

It would be much better for them to adapt to BD society with assistance from UN to end their everlasting misery, afterall generations have been born there, its their home now. :coffee:

Neo bhai, they were born there, but then again, not really. They were born in camps. They are not at one with the locals.

Even now the German govt. gives nationality to any person on earth who can prove that they had german ancestry in the past.

France allowed all the Morroccons, Algerian berber tribes who fought on the side of the french during the wars of independance to come and settle in france. This was due to their sovereign gratitude for the things these morrocons and algerians did to help the french occupation.

If such international precedences are there, it should not be an issue to take t hem back just cuz it's been 30 years. The jews were kicked out of Palestine by the romans, yet they still dreamt of going back, and managed it. But unlike the jewish state, Pakistan still exists, and is alive and kicking.

If our sindhi friends object, then we should compensate them financially, as most biharis would probably head for that province. What could be a better solution?

I think we should offer them a choice on staying with Bangladesh or moving to Pakistan, and accommodate those who choose Pakistan. While it is true that many of them never moved to West Pakistan, they did move to Pakistan, and on that count we owe them the option of choosing the Pakistan of today as their home.

Those that stayed in India are the ones who forfeited any automatic claim to be Pakistanis.

While agreeing with both of you I will discourage the move. Grass always looks greener at the other end but reality is harsh. We can not offer them a better future. They'll never be accepted as Pakistani's and will end up taking low end jobs and die in misery.

They're closer to Bengali language, culture and customs and have better chance of brigher future in BD than Pakistan. All we need to do is a joint programme to help them assimilate into the BD society. :coffee:

While agreeing with both of you I will discourage the move. Grass always looks greener at the other end but reality is harsh. We can not offer them a better future. They'll never be accepted as Pakistani's and will end up taking low end jobs and die in misery.

They're closer to Bengali language, culture and customs and have better chance of brigher future in BD than Pakistan. All we need to do is a joint programme to help them assimilate into the BD society. :coffee:

you right sir we can help then one time to set there lifes in BD and become a fulll national of BD and forget pakistan.

you right sir we can help then one time to set there lifes in BD and become a fulll national of BD and forget pakistan.

c'mon what r u talking about?????//
they r pakistanis the way they fought for pakistan in 1971 and sacrificed their lives and everything the women were raped and now we r saying that they should remain in bangladesh how is this possible?????????
the bengali community doesnt consider them even as humanbeing atleast we must not commit the selfishness
think if u sacrificed ur everything for something and in the end that thing betrayes u what will be ur feelings
consider them as pakistanis and try to feel their emotions and i m sure that u will have tears in ur eyes :frown::frown:
they love pakistan even more that us they r struggling from 37 years still they have not lost the hope they r true pakistanis and i m proud of my bihari brothers who fought for pakistan in 1971 and are still fighting..........................

Its to our eternal shame that we have left these people in BD. It should be their right to decide whether they return to Pakistan or stay in BD, but we as the Pakistani nation should not close the chapter. For goodness sake, we allowed in 2 million Afghan refugees on the basis of Islamic brotherhood and here we can't absorb 250,000 people?

Pakistan has the resources and the ability to absorb these people, its the political will that is missing.

Yes life is not perfect in Pakistan by any means, however at least our promise to them would be fulfilled.

we should give them the citizenship. they stood for pakistan. they see themselves as pakistanis. they might be more patriotic than us. they should be allowed to come back. wat economic strain are we talking about??? 250 000 ppl with such love for pakistan will only make our country stronger.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom