What's new

Bangladeshis the most generous tippers in South Asia

though I some time give tip...
I do not like this personally.....why should should anyone leave tip.....they are nt working for free and the customer is charged with service tax.....
do the restaurants give anything in free....no,,,...then why should I give them my money for free.....I will better save that money the whole year and give it in donation or to a NGO....it will be much better and for a good cause....:agree:

One of my friends brother was working in a 5-star hotel some years back after doing Hotel Management course, he told me that the income from tips could be more than the salary itself, all the tips used to be collected in one place and used to be re-distributed among all the staffs including the higher-ups as per the pre-defined share, even back-end staffs also used to get their share. The idea was that the tip is for perfection in all services, from serving to cooking to cleanliness and all. :)

One of my friends brother was working in a 5-star hotel some years back after doing Hotel Management course, he told me that the income from tips could be more than the salary itself, all the tips used to be collected in one place and used to be re-distributed among all the staffs including the higher-ups as per the pre-defined share, even back-end staffs also used to get their share. The idea was that the tip is for perfection in all services, from serving to cooking to cleanliness and all. :)
hmm...so the tip system is just like ..the police collect money on street and then is distributed up and the share depends on rank....:D:D

There is this intresting thing in Japan....tipping is considered an insult there.Japanese believe that when you pay...you are paying for the entire thing and if you try to give a tip they will vehemently reject it and give your money back to you.An admirable quality.
indians are nt so good...:lol::lol:

There is this intresting thing in Japan....tipping is considered an insult there.Japanese believe that when you pay...you are paying for the entire thing and if you try to give a tip they will vehemently reject it and give your money back to you.An admirable quality.

No wonder they have achieved so much even with so much of constraints. :)

AI-CH972_SEART__G_20140415235406.jpg

Thai Diners Emerge as Asia’s Top Tippers

BANGKOK—Here’s a tip for visitors to Thailand, don’t short change your server.

Thai diners are the most generous tippers in Asia, according to a recent survey that puts them well above most countries in the region, including China, Japan and New Zealand.

Based on a survey by MasterCard of nearly 8,000 respondents in the Asia-Pacific region between October and November, 84% of Thai diners said they left a tip after a good meal. Bangladesh (80%) and India (78%) ranked second and third, followed by the Philippines (73%). Japan (4%) was reported as the least generous, with Indonesia (33%), Malaysia (31%) and Singapore (20%) falling somewhere in the middle.

Thailand grabbed the top spot the first year the survey launched in 2012, but was overtaken by Bangladesh last year.

The survey does not report the amount of the tip and is meant to serve more as a tool about good dining practices among different countries in the region, a statement from Master Card said.

“Understanding how people tip gives us a unique look into local cultures and accepted practices that we can all benefit from knowing while travelling,” said Georgette Tan, Master Card’s head of communication for the Asia-Pacific, Middle East and Africa regions.

Knowing that it’s uncommon not to leave a tip behind in Thailand, for example, will benefit travelers who might not consider leaving any gratuity. In Japan, on the other hand, tipping is not expected, and people there may even “frown at the practice,” Ms. Tan said.

The survey on tipping habits was part of a broader study on consumer dining experiences in the Asia Pacific. In addition to being the region’s biggest tipper, Thailand also came out on top as the most active market when it comes to sharing a dining experience online, with one in two respondents likely to snap a picture or post a review on a social network site while dining.

“Interestingly, in some markets, the prevalence of social media has extended the definition of a tip beyond a few extra dollars on your bill,” said Ms. Tan.

Thai Diners Emerge as Asia’s Top Tippers - Southeast Asia Real Time - WSJ

A very nice thread. This tells a lot about the level of generosity in the country, and care.

I am witness to the fact that Filipinos always leave a tip, and they are not a miser people, but a generous people.

They know what it's like, that's why !!! :lol:

jk jk :partay:

TIPS abbreviation "To Improve Prompt Service"

It's usually given if one is happy with the quality of service and the product served. I generally tip 50 to 200 rupees depending on the places I eat. If the service is bad I tip 1 rupee as an insult and before leaving I make sure he understands why he earned it.

And yes usually service charge is already charged at most of the digitally billed restaurants so you MAY not tip. But However Most Of The Tip Never Reaches The Deserving. And by tipping in person you are building a rapport with your server, it makes a huge difference a simple tip can make ur server remember what u like and dislike so accordingly he suggests you, if left without paying anything chances are you being ignored or paid less attention or worse CURSED :D

indians are nt so good...:lol::lol:

Tipping is a western concept borrowed by high end indian resturants forcing us to mimic western so called etiquette.....before that there was no culture of tipping in india, there still is none in low end restaurants free from these so called etiquette.

hmm...so the tip system is just like ..the police collect money on street and then is distributed up and the share depends on rank....:D:D

Yes, even income tax department works on the same principal of harmony & cooperation. :D

The first book was awesome... beats tolkien,sheldon,archer,browns by a long distance.

We are awaiting for the sequel ...." The Indian doctrine reloaded"- By Munshi.

If you havent started the writing, go to ur study room , break some glass or even some crackers near ear, eat some bhoot jhaloka chillies,abuse some people walking across the street, get the rage and start typing the damn book ASAP.
One of the funniest post from you. Super likesssssss! :tup:

what about Pakistani tippers?

Nothing exists like that. :D they ask discount on the bills in the name of tip. :D

J.f.k :D:D:D

Tipping is a western concept borrowed by high end indian resturants forcing us to mimic western so called etiquette.....before that there was no culture of tipping in india, there still is none in low end restaurants free from these so called etiquette.
Tipping in Japan isn't considered good, so the rate is so low. Don't know much abt Chinese, all I remember is 34.50 from Russel Peters.

Last edited:
The idea was that the tip is for perfection in all services, from serving to cooking to cleanliness and all.
They're getting a salary to give that service.....which is expected to be perfect/proper.
Imagine other sectors, where employees cannot get tips.....ain't they suppose to give proper service?
IMHO, tipping is same as bribing......I'll give you extra attention if you tip me/I'll pass your file if you bribe me........two sides of the same coin. :-)

Last edited:

We probably had Bakhshish!! :undecided:

Japanese are a top people, efficient. The quality of a hyper modern nation. They have got nothing to with this colonial era remain.

Back
Top Bottom