Bangladesh to hounour Indira Gandhi for her support in 1971 war

Status
Not open for further replies.

BanglaBhoot

RETIRED TTA
Reaction score
Country
France
Bangladesh will confer a special honour on late Indian prime minister Indira Gandhi for her "immense" support in its struggle for liberation on the country's 40th independence day next year.

Gandhi will be honoured as part of a government plan to acknowledge the role of foreign nationals in the 1971 Liberation War against Pakistani forces, an official said.

"Some 100 foreign nationals of different categories are expected to be ceremonially awarded coinciding with our 40th Independence Day on March 26 next year in Dhaka. But Mrs Gandhi would conferred with a special honour," secretary of the Liberation War ministry Uzzal Bikash Dutta told PTI.

He said a national committee constituted earlier had nominated her for the special honour for her "unique" role in "offering training to freedom fighters and refuge to millions of people who fled the country and building world opinion for Bangladesh's independence".

Foreign secretary Mohamed Mijarul Queyes, who headed the national subcommittee for preparing the list of foreigners to be honoured, said the committee was expected to finalise the list in its meeting to be chaired by foreign minister Dipu Moni tomorrow.

The criterion of the recipients was finalised earlier.

He said people of different categories like foreign statesmen, politicians, diplomats, soldiers, artists and writers, journalists, rights activists and groups and media organisations like the BBC and All India radio have been nominated for the award.

Bangladesh is to invite the recipients or their relatives to receive the awards in Dhaka.

"The objective of the award is to express our acknowledgement to prove we are a grateful nation," Dutta said.

Bangladesh won its independence in 1971 after nine months of a Liberation War against Pakistani forces with crucial Indian support.

Bangladesh to hounour Indira Gandhi for her support in 1971 war - World - DNA

A Good gesture , a trifle belated though.

He said people of different categories like foreign statesmen, politicians, diplomats, soldiers, artists and writers, journalists, rights activists and groups and media organisations like the BBC and All India radio have been nominated for the award.

Just curious, is anyone from West Bengal nominated?

Finally, a belated but good gesture by BD govt. She took on the whole world for BD, of course with the help of Soviet.

6a00c2252293c4604a011015f2f774860b-500pi

:cheers: :tup:

Well my Bengladeshi brothers kiss good bye to your soverginety in next 20-25 years. I dont understand what is AL obession with 1971 events?? Many BD's dont aggree with mujeeb and my chef who fought in Mukti Bahini has nothing by abuse for BadangBabu.

Well my Bengladeshi brothers kiss good bye to your soverginety in next 20-25 years. I dont understand what is AL obession with 1971 events?? Many BD's dont aggree with mujeeb and my chef who fought in Mukti Bahini has nothing by abuse for BadangBabu.

You are so much concerned about BD. I hope, if it was in 1971..:pop:

We haven't done it in 1971 why will we do it now. We have enough problems of our own and we don't want to get involved in other countries matters.

AL and Mujib were denied their respectful place when they won the 1971 elections hands down. No wonder they have revolted and got their independence with help of India and Indira Gandhi. And that's why she is being honored.

You are so much concerned about BD. I hope, if it was in 1971..:pop:

Nope least bothered about them..their country their will..they take care of it not our headache.

We all know your 'reason' of obsession with India that "India wants to take over our country" but atleast do not try to sell this to Bangladeshis who are absolutely unwilling to buy your theory. Please let them decide what is good for them & what is not and keep both our countries out of it. Lets not waste this thread by start bashing each other.

Regards.

Last edited by a moderator:

Too late our sovereignty just flew out the window and landed on Manmohon's table.

Too late our sovereignty just flew out the window and landed on Manmohon's table.

so honoring the great lady who risked the wrath of USA to save a nation in trouble is seen as the surrender of sovereignty. remember, if it wasn't for her, you wouldn't have had any sovereignty in the first place.

Tell me, how exactly is your sovereignty surrendered if you just acknowledge her role in your independence? I just want to hear the logic behind your claim, if there was any.

so honoring the great lady who risked the wrath of USA to save a nation in trouble is seen as the surrender of sovereignty. remember, if it wasn't for her, you wouldn't have had any sovereignty in the first place.

Tell me, how exactly is your sovereignty surrendered if you just acknowledge her role in your independence? I just want to hear the logic behind your claim, if there was any.

According to them the coward Indian Army hid behind the Bangladeshis,didn even fire a single bullet but took away all the credit for liberating their country.

so how can they give credit to coward Indians.?

Anyways Good gesture by the BD Government and lets hope that from now on there is only an upward curve in relations between the two "sovereign" countries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom