Black_cats

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Bangladesh to go for 3rd submarine cable
Shamim Jahangir
14th May, 2019 10:45:35
daily-sun-submarine.jpg

https://www.daily-sun.com/post/392288/Bangladesh-to-go-for-3rd-submarine-cable

The government is likely to sign up for the third submarine cable soon in its efforts to achieve the Digital Bangladesh vision by 2021, a top official has said.

“We have already negotiated with two companies, including a Singapore-based firm and the consortium of SEA-ME-WE 6 to subscribe to 5-12 terabytes of internet bandwidth,” Bangladesh Submarine Cable Company Ltd (BSCCL) managing director Mashiur Rahman told the daily sun on Sunday.

Officials said Bangladesh will need to spend $60-70 million to connect with the submarine cable. The new submarine cable will be laid from Singapore to Europe.

Recently, an Italian firm invited the Bangladesh authorities to join the upcoming submarine cable on the basis of cost-based investment in Singapore and Europe, BSCCL officials said.

At a recent meeting in presence of Prime Minister’s ICT Adviser Sajeeb Ahmed Wazed Joy, the posts and telecom ministry instructed BSCCL for taking necessary preparation of joining the new submarine connectivity after proper assessment.

Bangladesh was connected with the first undersea cable South East Asia–Middle East–Western Europe 4 (SEA-ME-WE 4) in 2006 and with the second one SEA-ME-WE 5 in 2017.

By providing high capacity fibre optic submarine cable bandwidth and state of the art Internet Transit facilities, BSCCL is effectively connecting the people to the “Information Super Highway”, Mashiur Rahman said.

State-run BSCCL currently maintains two submarine cable landing stations in Cox’s Bazar and Patuakhali —- having the combined capacity to offer 900gbps of bandwidth.

Of the 900gbps bandwidth, BSCCL has rented out 680gbps bandwidth. BSCCL is exporting 10Gbps of IP Bandwidth to Tripura from since February 2016.

“We are expected to add another 600gbps bandwidth in August next,” the BSCCL managing director has said.

Last edited:
Bangladesh to go for 3rd submarine cable
Shamim Jahangir
14th May, 2019 10:45:35
daily-sun-submarine.jpg

https://www.daily-sun.com/post/392288/Bangladesh-to-go-for-3rd-submarine-cable

The government is likely to sign up for the third submarine cable soon in its efforts to achieve the Digital Bangladesh vision by 2021, a top official has said.

“We have already negotiated with two companies, including a Singapore-based firm and the consortium of SEA-ME-WE 6 to subscribe to 5-12 terabytes of internet bandwidth,” Bangladesh Submarine Cable Company Ltd (BSCCL) managing director Mashiur Rahman told the daily sun on Sunday.

Officials said Bangladesh will need to spend $60-70 million to connect with the submarine cable. The new submarine cable will be laid from Singapore to Europe.

Recently, an Italian firm invited the Bangladesh authorities to join the upcoming submarine cable on the basis of cost-based investment in Singapore and Europe, BSCCL officials said.

At a recent meeting in presence of Prime Minister’s ICT Adviser Sajeeb Ahmed Wazed Joy, the posts and telecom ministry instructed BSCCL for taking necessary preparation of joining the new submarine connectivity after proper assessment.

Bangladesh was connected with the first undersea cable South East Asia–Middle East–Western Europe 4 (SEA-ME-WE 4) in 2006 and with the second one SEA-ME-WE 5 in 2017.

By providing high capacity fibre optic submarine cable bandwidth and state of the art Internet Transit facilities, BSCCL is effectively connecting the people to the “Information Super Highway”, Mashiur Rahman said.

State-run BSCCL currently maintains two submarine cable landing stations in Cox’s Bazar and Patuakhali —- having the combined capacity to offer 900gbps of bandwidth.

Of the 900gbps bandwidth, BSCCL has rented out 680gbps bandwidth. BSCCL is exporting 10Gbps of IP Bandwidth to Tripura from since February 2016.

“We are expected to add another 600gbps bandwidth in August next,” the BSCCL managing director has said.

We rented out part of our large bandwidth to NE Seven sisters states (including Assam) since we are not using it 100% at the moment. @Axomiya_lora maybe can verify.

We rented out part of our large bandwidth to NE Seven sisters states (including Assam) since we are not using it 100% at the moment. @Axomiya_lora maybe can verify.
It makes more sense to rent bandwidth from neighbouring Bangladesh rather than going through the circuitous route of Chennai/Mumbai-Kolkata-NE. Last when i heard of it, there was a proposal and specifics were being worked out between Assam and BD, but i think some states like Tripura have already implemented the same.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom