Not open for further replies.

eastwatch

Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
Govt to install 40-km cross-border power transmission line by 2012

BD govt to install 40-km transmission line
FHM Humayan Kabir

The government will install a 40-kilometre long 400kv cross-border power transmission line at a cost of Tk10.40 billion by June 2012 aiming at importing electricity from India, officials said Saturday.

Power Division officials said the government has already undertaken the project to build the two-way transmission line, which will have capacity to transmit 500-megawatt electricity between the two nations.

"We've sought ECNEC's consent. After getting approval from the highest policy-making body we will sign deal with a contactor for constructing the bilateral power grid," Managing director of the Power Grid Company of Bangladesh (PGCB) Ruhul Amin told the FE.

The PGCB, state-owned power transmission company, which will execute the scheme, has already invited tender for appointing a contactor.

About 100-km cross-border power grid will connect Bangladesh's western Bheramara and India's eastern Baharampur area in the West Bengal state.

Mr Ruhul Amin said: "We are hopeful to receive Indian electricity from July 2012."

The Bangladesh's PGCB will install nearly 40km long grid from Bheramara to the border point investing Tk10.40 billion and the rest nearly 60km portion from border point to Baharampur will be built by the Power Grid Corporation of India (PGCI).

The Asian Development Bank (ADB) will finance for the project as it has already assured the government of providing US$100 million (Tk6.69 billion) worth of fund.

Following the acute power outages in Bangladesh, the two neighbouring countries signed a deal for setting up the high voltage transmission line during a visit of Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina to India in January this year.

The both sides signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) on the bilateral power trade.

Bangladesh's ailing power sector could supply nearly 4000mw of electricity daily against the demand for over 5500mw.

Power Development Board said the domestic power demand is increasing at about 8.0 per cent annual rate.

PGCB Managing Director Ruhul Amin said under the MoU the 400kv line will be installed. "The transmission line will be able to transmit electricity for both nations."

"We will set up a substation at Bheramara to convert 400kv high voltage power to 230kv to run it through our existing 230kv transmission line within the country," he said.

"The substation is going to be built to facilitate import of maximum 500mw electricity at the initial level. Its transmission capacity can be boosted to 1000mw power in future," said the PGCB chief.

Its only a matter of time before some Bangladeshi member in this forum accuses India of sending protons instead of electrons.As far as they are concerned India is the root cause of all adversities in Bangladesh.

To hell with trolls. We should not fooled by fake Bangladeshi or Non Bengali people.

Long live India - Bangladesh friendship.

I was expecting Indian NE Tripura will supply the power. I thought this area produces more power than it can consume. Can Indian posters enlighten us from which power station(s) power will be supplied to our grid in the east.

Adequate supply of power is one of the pre-conditions for industrial expansion. Our Banks have more than 31,000 crore Taka (about US$4.45 billion) of money sitting idle in the vaults. But, the industrialists do not come forward to borrow this huge money to invest in industries. It is only because power is in short supply. They cannot run their industries without power.

I am not any Party follower. But, I will certainly praise this govt that from the very 1st day it has faced the power shortage problem squarely. New wealth can be generated and new employment opportunities can be created only by a rapid industrialization.

So, the way the present govt is moving ahead with electricity, I expect that BD will certainly see its GDP enlarging by almost double-digit after a few years from now. Not only India, but also Burma now wants to sell its surplus power to BD.

There will be more power supply once the proposed Tripura hydro-electric plant starts production. BD is giving India the transhipment facilities through its water and land to transport the equipments. Moreover, BD govt is also building its own power plants. BD is certainly becoming an average well-to-do country in the next 15 years.

I was expecting Indian NE Tripura will supply the power. I thought this area produces more power than it can consume. Can Indian posters enlighten us from which power station(s) power will be supplied to our grid in the east.

It can be Farakka, DVC or the one near Bhutan border. It can some station in other states also. For example WB sells electricity to some southern states where they have shortage.

To hell with trolls. We should not fooled by fake Bangladeshi or Non Bengali people.

Long live India - Bangladesh friendship.

They will be protesting by turning off the main switch once it starts flowing. LOL

How mean!?!!?

The Hindu : Tamil Nadu / Chennai News : Power shortage owing to reduced generation: Minister

CHENNAI: The State government on Thursday attributed the problem of power shortage to reduced generation from the Neyveli expansion project, Kalpakkam and Kaiga atomic power stations and the delay in commissioning of the Kudankulam atomic power plant.

Citing the factors, Law Minister Durai Murugan, who moved the demands for grants to the Energy department in the Assembly on behalf of ailing Electricity Minister Arcot N. Veeraswami, said they were among the chief reasons responsible for the power shortage experienced during 2009-2010. The Tamil Nadu Electricity Board (TNEB) was forced to impose certain restrictive measures to limit the demand. Of 2,000 megawatt (MW) to 2,500 MW being procured from the market to meet the present deficit, 490 MW to 740 MW was purchased form captive power plants in the State.
Giving projections of power shortage from June 2010 to May 2011, he stated that the deficit would vary from 1,400 MW to 3,400 MW during peak hours (6 p.m. to 10 p.m.); 1,700 MW to 3,600 MW during day (6 a.m. to 6 p.m) and 500 MW to 2,100 MW during off-peak hours (10 p.m. to 6 a.m.)
Former Electricity Minister R. Viswanathan (All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam) criticised the Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam government for neglecting power generation.

In the last four years, capacity addition achieved by the TNEB was just 203 megawatt (MW), whereas capacity addition during the AIADMK regime (2001-2006) was 2,047 MW, he said, giving comparative figures of capacity addition during the previous AIADMK and DMK regimes too (1991-1996 and 1996-2001).

Reacting to the criticism, Mr. Durai Murugan said that though the AIADMK regime, during December 1992, issued an order for the establishment of a private power project in Pillaiperumal Nallur, this was not followed up for the next three years. In 1998, it was the DMK regime, which had taken steps for the expeditious execution of the project.

This was why the project could be commissioned in 2001, when the AIADMK returned to power.

Infrastructure projects such as power and irrigation had long gestation, Mr. Durai Murugan said.

When Arul Anbarasu (Congress) blamed the Left for the present power shortage in view of the opposition to the civilian nuclear cooperation deal between India and United States, V. Sivapunniyam (Communist Party of India) and N. Nanmaran (CPI-Marxist) explained that their parties had opposed the deal in view of the implication of the Hyde Act of US on the deal and the adverse bearing on sovereignty of the nation.

P. Padmavathy (CPI) wanted to know the status of the TNEB's scheme of effecting power connections for homes on the day of submission of application forms.

M.N. Kandasamy (Congress) suggested the use of solar energy for the Assembly-Secretariat complex and MLAs' hostel.

Mostly Chhattisgarh, Delhi, Gujarat, West Bengal and Punjab are the top sellers of electricity.

Dont know about the others but Punjab and Delhi are hardly sellers of electricity. Both these states have the highest per capita demand and consumption of electricity in India and hence buy it from other states. Punjab is reeling under 6 hour power cuts so its hardly in a position to sell.

From what I know states with abundance of electricity are the mountain states of Himachal, Uttarakhand and Sikkim.

@topic - I just cant understand why India wants to sell electricity to WB when many areas are without electricity in the eastern parts. The day I dont see a single generator in India is the day GoI can think about selling electricity to our neighbours.

It can be Farakka, DVC or the one near Bhutan border. It can some station in other states also. For example WB sells electricity to some southern states where they have shortage.

Does Farakka produce power? It is a small height barrage only.

Dont know about the others but Punjab and Delhi are hardly sellers of electricity. Both these states have the highest per capita demand and consumption of electricity in India and hence buy it from other states. Punjab is reeling under 6 hour power cuts so its hardly in a position to sell.

From what I know states with abundance of electricity are the mountain states of Himachal, Uttarakhand and Sikkim.

@topic - I just cant understand why India wants to sell electricity to WB when many areas are without electricity in the eastern parts. The day I dont see a single generator in India is the day GoI can think about selling electricity to our neighbours.

I don't think they sell it during pick hours. I think no state has abundance of electricity during pick hours, but many has surplus when consumption is less. I don't see any problem of selling electricity when we have surplus.

I was quoting from this source:
Chhattisgarh, Delhi among top 5 power-selling states

I think, India is doing this because under a comprehensive and reciprocal agreement, BD is allowing Indian machineries for a Tripura power plant to be transported through BD water and land.

Without a reciprocal action by India, the Tripura transhipment facility would have been regarded by the population as a total sell-out of AL govt to Indian whims. Amnd I do not have the slightest idea from which of the plants this power will be supplied.

I think, whatever may be the initial problem in India because of selling power to BD, India will certainly build many more hydro-electric power plants in Sikkim as well as in Nepal. So, the problem may go away within a few years.

Moreover, if power is produced, say, in Sikkim, it is not economically beneficial to send it to a far away Delhi. It is much wiser to sell to BD. But, this time the power will come from the east.

I think, India is doing this because under a comprehensive and reciprocal agreement, BD is allowing Indian machineries for a Tripura power plant to be transported through BD water and land.

Without a reciprocal action by India, the Tripura transhipment facility would have been regarded by the population as a total sell-out of AL govt to Indian whims. Amnd I do not have the slightest idea from which of the plants this power will be supplied.

I think, whatever may be the initial problem in India because of selling power to BD, India will certainly build many more hydro-electric power plants in Sikkim as well as in Nepal. So, the problem may go away within a few years.

Moreover, if power is produced, say, in Sikkim, it is not economically beneficial to send it to a far away Delhi. It is much wiser to sell to BD. But, this time the power will come from the east.

You could be right. This does seem like a quid pro quid decision.

I also agree with selling power generated in the east to eastern states and BD. No point in transporting it to the North.

Honeymoon will be over soon.........:smokin:

Only stupid awami dalal would buy electricity from Enemy. :angry:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom