What's new

Bangladesh Police arrests Indian citizen in Dhaka for recruiting neo JMB cadres

Who are we to decide if a person is a Muslim or non Muslim. If they feel they are Muslim they are. It's between them and god. You and I are nobody to decide.

Take Hijli Sarif for example, Yearly on some occasions some 10 L people gather to commemorate, some even from BD and Malaysia. Large numbers of Hindus also join them. People from all religion in the locality makes a compulsory visit on a family ceremony like marriage, child birth etc. We listen to the Satya Pir pachali.

And if your form of Islam creeps there the harmony will be totally lost.

And there are 5 sarifs like this.

You know still as the fisherman sail in sea they remember the 5 saints/pir.

Between your form of Islam didn't helped the spread of the religion in Bengal but the pir and sufi's did.

Anyway I believe you a Bengali, must be knowing these things.

@Joe Shearer check this thread, I believe you will like it.

The thing is anyone who deviates from the scripture deviates from the path of Islam . Islam considers doing idol worship one of the gravest sins so according to scripture they are on the verge of being a disbeliever if done willingly. I based my judgement on the scriptures and scripture is supreme in the validation of the faith. Anyone in their personal capacity can think of otherwise but that doesn't make them right . Also there is only one Islam but people have different level of observing it. Some retains within the Islam while some goes too far way to be called a Muslim in the first place.

I think I made a mistake.

A Brahman is usually known by his caste name: for Rarhis, these are generally Bandyopadhyaya (Bannerjee), Chattopadhyaya (Chatterjee), Gangopadhyaya (Ganguly), Mukhyopadhyaya (Mukherjee), Bhattacharyya, or Chakravarti. For Barendras, these names can be Bagchi, Bhaduri, Ghoshal, Lahiri, Maitra and Sanyal. For Vaidik, it is generally Chakravarti.

For gotra, the typical names are the names of rishis from whom the gotra holder claims direct, uninterrupted descent. For instance, my gotra is Kasyapa; my mother, before she married, was Dhanvantari (women 'go' to the gotra of their husband).

Among Brahmins, Bannerjees are Sandilya gotra; so the name is not the gotra, the gotra is different. Chatterjees are Kasyapa; while we share a gotra name with the Chatterjees, we are not Brahmins.

I had never heard of Debnath as a Brahmin name before, but I may be wrong. Definitely not a gotra name; never heard of Rishi Debnath, while Dhanvantari, Kashyap, Maudgalya and Sandilya are well known.

What I was trying to say was that Debnath is neither a caste name nor a gotra.

Okay, my mother's people were Ray Chaudhury, but that was a Padabi. Their caste name was SenGupta.

Dada many many Thanks. Learned a lot. Thanks to the originator and mods of PDF to provide a place where we can learn about each other. Though you're one of our very own, I was unaware about the intricacies about the caste system.

Dada many many Thanks. Learned a lot. Thanks to the originator and mods of PDF to provide a place where we can learn about each other. Though you're one of our very own, I was unaware about the intricacies about the caste system.

Always there for you.

One day, if I can lay my hands on a copy of Risley, I will narrate for my Bangali friends, both from West Bengal and Bangladesh, the intricate protocols surrounding the marriages of Kulin Kayasthas; it is defined down to the way to handle the marriage of the seventh son! I will guarantee that all of you, Hindu and Muslim alike, will roll in the aisles with laughter.

Who are we to decide if a person is a Muslim or non Muslim. If they feel they are Muslim they are. It's between them and god. You and I are nobody to decide.

Take Hijli Sarif for example, Yearly on some occasions some 10 L people gather to commemorate, some even from BD and Malaysia. Large numbers of Hindus also join them. People from all religion in the locality makes a compulsory visit on a family ceremony like marriage, child birth etc. We listen to the Satya Pir pachali.

Between your form of Islam didn't helped the spread of the religion in Bengal but the pir and sufi's did.

@Joe Shearer check this thread, I believe you will like it.

Practice is well known in TN too....Nagore dargah holds esteemed spiritual status for all communities of TN (and beyond).

The strong influences of earlier Tamil poetic metre, linguistic aesthetic and even direct spiritual and religious symbology on the number of Tamil works detailing the life of the sufi saint is an interesting subject by itself....the place is after all in the same (coastal) vicinity of our great Chidambaram temple, one of the highly honoured ancient hotspots of Tamil spirituality and culture @Joe Shearer

This all involves multitudes and millions of regular people in the flesh.... well outside of any single members with singular "takfiri" driven egos that might pepper some anonymous virtual fora.

//Who are we to decide if a person is a Muslim or non Muslim. If they feel they are Muslim they are. It's between them and god. You and I are nobody to decide.

@Joe Shearer check this thread, I believe you will like it.//

@jbgt90

You might find this familiar. Please do share it in the relevant quarters!

Who are we to decide if a person is a Muslim or non Muslim. If they feel they are Muslim they are.
TBH , there are some striking area here . Even if someone consider himself as Muslim but believe in henotheism , he can not be considered a Muslim . And also if someone believe that any prophet will come After Muhammad ( PBUH) , he will not remain a Muslim . For other cases , I think Islam holds a liberal view.

Back
Top Bottom