What's new

Bangladesh Plans to Buy 24 Russian Jet Trainers

BanglaBhoot

RETIRED TTA
Reaction score
Country
France
LANGKAWI (Malaysia), March 27 (RIA Novosti) - Bangladesh is planning to buy 24 Yak-130 Mitten jet trainers on $1 billion credit from Russia, Russia's state arms exporter Rosoboronexport said on Wednesday.

"Bangladesh has a whole list of arms it wants, but so far that is a state secret. I will reveal one little secret: The purchase of Yak-130 warplanes is a very significant subject of negotiations between Russia and Bangladesh," Rosoboronexport Deputy Chief Viktor Komardin said at the Langkawi International Maritime and Aerospace exhibition (LIMA-2013) that opened in Malaysia on Tuesday.

He added that negotiations on Yak-130s are due to begin later this spring.

Russia granted Bangladesh a $1 billion credit during the Bangladeshi prime minister's visit to Moscow in January.

Some 20 Russian companies are taking part in LIMA-2013, which has been held since 1991, including top aircraft manufacturers and the state-owned United Industrial Corporation (Oboronprom), which produces helicopters, aircraft engines and air defense systems.

The Yak-130 is a highly maneuverable aircraft with an extended range of about 2,000 kilometers (1,250 miles) and a maximum speed of 1,060 kilometers per hour (600 miles per hour) in level flight. It can carry a combat payload of up to 3,000 kilograms (6,600 pounds).

The Yak-130 has been chosen as a basic aircraft for Russian Air Force pilot training. First deliveries began in 2009.

Bangladesh Plans to Buy 24 Russian Jet Trainers

168504880.jpg

Bangladesh Plans to Buy 24 Russian Jet Trainers | World | RIA Novosti

The Yakovlev Yak-130 (NATO reporting name: Mitten[3]) is a subsonic two-seat advanced jet trainer/light attack aircraft or lead-in fighter trainer developed by Yakovlev. Development of the plane began in 1991, and the maiden flight was conducted on 26 April 1996. In 2005, it won a Russian government tender for training aircraft, and in 2009 the first planes entered service with the Russian Air Force. As an advanced training aircraft, the Yak-130 is able to replicate the characteristics of several 4+ generation fighters as well as the fifth-generation Sukhoi T-50. It can also perform light-attack and reconnaissance duties, carrying a combat load of 3,000 kg.

Unit cost $15 million

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakovlev_Yak-130

Although I doubt the Yak number of purchase at 24, but, it seems certain that BAF is finally pushing for purchasing 4G+ fighter planes, probably Su-27s.

hmm maybe a squadron will replace the ageing l-39 albatros as our light attack/reconnaissance squadron. The other squadron for training perhaps.

EDIT: 24 Yaks should cost around 500m. What about the radars, helis and apc's then? they would cost quite a healthy amount of money too.

Okay this is weird. You guys are buying 24 trainers. Do you even have 24 fighter planes. I am talking about the ones with Jet engine and not with Piston engine.

42 fighter jets (3rd generation)
8 fighter jets (4th generation)
7 Ground attack (3rd generation)

( i did not count trainter+attack jet and reserve jets)

24 on credit would cost around 600m And that includes other costs-spares for the next atleast couple of decades this is going to be an attractive deal. It is not surprising considering 24 YAK-130s could replace merely 10-12 Tweets with mixed 13 FT-6s and L-39s all together unified multirole Fleet from the perspective of BAF as YAK-130 can be upgraded to YAK-131/133 standards but perhaps it already comes into that configuration readily be deployed in light attack role.

( i did not count trainter+attack jet and reserve jets)

Hi don't reply to that troll ignore him everyone.

24 on credit would cost around 600m And that includes other costs-spares for the next atleast couple of decades this is going to be an attractive deal. It is not surprising considering 24 YAK-130s could replace merely 10-12 Tweets with mixed 13 FT-6s and L-39s all together unified multirole Fleet from the perspective of BAF as YAK-130 can be upgraded to YAK-131/133 standards but perhaps it already comes into that configuration readily be deployed in light attack role.

24 yak 130 will cost around $480m

@MST

though you are harsh,but you are right.bangladesh has somewhat around 50 fighter jets,where most of them are mig -21(F-7,some of them will retire soon).they have some Mig-29(8).but 24 Yak-130(wiki says 16)??isn't it quite large??will they is going to be used as fighter jets too,or only for training purpose??(some countries buy modified trainer jets as cheap solution of light attack jet..eg. Hawk-200)..

Yak-130 is way better choice than BAe Hawk, and it doubles up as a light attack fighter. :tup:

Okay this is weird. You guys are buying 24 trainers. Do you even have 24 fighter planes. I am talking about the ones with Jet engine and not with Piston engine.

Huh? :blink:

I'm pretty sure that the MiG-29 and F-7 run on jet engines. Not on piston engines.

Our current jet trainers are aging, and we need a fast replacement. The Yak-130 fits the bill. Trainer aircraft are very crucial my friend. It's safe to say, BAF will be going for 4th generation Russian birds in the future.

@MST

though you are harsh,but you are right.bangladesh has somewhat around 50 fighter jets,where most of them are mig -21(F-7,some of them will retire soon).they have some Mig-29(8).but 24 Yak-130(wiki says 16)??isn't it quite large??will they is going to be used as fighter jets too,or only for training purpose??(some countries buy modified trainer jets as cheap solution of light attack jet..eg. Hawk-200)..
1. You are thinking present condition while we are thinking of future.
2. yes they can be used as light attack in future.
3. you are saying Toyota corolla 2012 and Toyota corolla 1990 are same (because they are tagged with corolla name :disagree:)

they have some Mig-29(8).but 24 Yak-130(wiki says 16)??isn't it quite large??will they is going to be used as fighter jets too,or only for training purpose??(some countries buy modified trainer jets as cheap solution of light attack jet..eg. Hawk-200)..

Wiki is edited fanboy source but 16-24 makes sense as they have 3 types of trainers to replace with 1 type makes sense. Obviously it would have room for upgrades either at purchase or in later years I am supposing at purchase to fill the gap.

We have 8 4th generation fighter aircraft, 56 3rd generation Fighter aircraft. Negotiating for 32 to 48 4.5 generation fighter aircraft.
We have 8 counter terrorism Jet, 12 Multi-engine JET trainer, 24 Primary trainer and 60+ other aircraft.
We are looking forward to 16 counter terrorism YAK-130 and 8 Training YAK-130. along with 32 Primary trainer and several transport aircraft and Helicopter including gunships...

1. You are thinking present condition while we are thinking of future.
2. yes they can be used as light attack in future.
3. you are saying Toyota corolla 2012 and Toyota corolla 1990 are same (because they are tagged with corolla name :disagree:)

reply of first point..

i'm not implying anything..i'm just asking.actually,most of the countries keep Advanced trainer jets in a proportion of 1:4,1:5,1:6 with fighter jets..thats what i'm saying..by the way,how many new aircrafts BD is purchasing??somewhere I read that they wants to buy Su-27(not sure though)anyway,good decision..

reply of 2nd point..

I doubt it can be used as light attack jet as Yak-131(the version of Yak-130 going to be used as light attack jet) failed..read this..

http://en.rian.ru/military_news/20120517/173508923.html

and for the 3rd point..

don't understand why you stated that..elaborate please..

Back
Top Bottom