What's new

Bangladesh Military prepares for a WAR against Myanmar

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made a quick check of military of both sides.. and looks like Myanmar has got a slight edge on numerical and quality superiority ... don't know though what will be the actual case in the case of a conflict.. mostly .. it will be BD's disadvantage.. Bengali's are not good fighters as such.. unless they are inspired by a pan national cause like 1971... these time around a swift action of Burmese Force might cause trouble for BD....

I also think war is not in anyone's interest, especially not in Bangladesh' interest.

Myanmar is likely to prevail as they will get more support from the Chinese. They are supplying energy to China.

It appears these UAV's have been flying over the disputed exploration blocks for several weeks now. I got the info from a military source that is all you need to know. I am just trying to figure else what else they got under their sleeves and where they are getting them from. Anyone know?

It appears these UAV's have been flying over the disputed exploration blocks for several weeks now. I got the info from a military source that is all you need to know. I am just trying to figure else what else they got under their sleeves and where they are getting them from. Anyone know?

Probably from China. China is Myanmar's biggest supplier.

I don't think Myanmar ahs the technology base to build UAVs themselves.

Probably from China. China is Myanmar's biggest supplier.

I don't think Myanmar ahs the technology base to build UAVs themselves.

Instead of saying probably you should provide links to prove that it is the case, you talk of links when others use the word "probably" remember ? Even if China provided the UAV, certainly China did not tell Burma to use it for illegal activities. In this conflict I can say that probably India is supporting Burma because there is no benefit for China in this but there is benefit for India. India now has an opportunity to add a new dimension to its blackmailing tactics on Bangladesh, after all, both India and Myanmar are violating the territorial waters of Bangladesh.

I made a quick check of military of both sides.. and looks like Myanmar has got a slight edge on numerical and quality superiority ... don't know though what will be the actual case in the case of a conflict.. mostly .. it will be BD's disadvantage.. Bengali's are not good fighters as such.. unless they are inspired by a pan national cause like 1971... these time around a swift action of Burmese Force might cause trouble for BD....

I feel differently here. Everyone is a good fighter when cornered or threatned beyond a point. The Tamils have shown the world what they can do & dispelled the martial race theory in our sub continent.

All it takes is motivation, leadership & a cause... backed of course by finance.

The bengalis did well in '71. They are doing well in the IA. There is no reason why ppl of BD shouldn't excel when their homeland is threatened.

In any case if there were to be a war , it would at best be a skirmish before the world steps in. The hostility & distrust it would generate would remain for years.

I don't think it's the Chinese doing in this Bangladesh-Myanmar tension because China gains nothing from a conflict in the region, on the contrary, it will bring headache to them.

As I am aware, China has good relations with both Bangladesh and Myanmar.

Myanmar Juntha don't really need anyone to escalate matters. But they can't go to this length without at least a nod and a wink from their CCP masters.

It may just provide them a diversion from the many domestic issues.

The meeting between Bangladesh and Burma took place in India, isn't that strange ? The meeting should have taken place in China but suddenly India has become such a buddy of Burma that its leaders went to India to have negotiations with Bangladesh. If Burma received any wink, it is not from China but from its new found buddy India.

Or maybe India was just eager to arrange the meeting in order to seem important? And China is taking the more political mature course by trying to look less involved in case things went south...?

The meeting between Bangladesh and Burma took place in India, isn't that strange ? The meeting should have taken place in China but suddenly India has become such a buddy of Burma that its leaders went to India to have negotiations with Bangladesh. If Burma received any wink, it is not from China but from its new found buddy India.

Erm...India is the mediator.

Like Norway is the mediator between LTTE and Sri Lanka. Doesn't mean that Norway is the "buddy" of either pary.

In any case, both Bangladesh and Myanmar agreed on the neutral party. Its not like they were forced to meet in India. if B'desh have any issues with the mediating party, they are welcome to meet in China or Timbuktu.

Sheesh...you guys have too much free time on your hands.

Perhaps even I have got far too much free time on my hands.

Or maybe India was just eager to arrange the meeting in order to seem important? And China is taking the more political mature course by trying to look less involved in case things went south...?

China is providing weapons to both parties, including what seems to be UAVs to Burma.

That hardly seems mature. You seem to be an expert at turning logic on its head.

The most obvious conclusion (and correct) conclusion is that India is being the more mature party by acting as the mediator.

Dhaka, Yangon talk maritime boundary today

Dhaka and Yangon talk the maritime boundary delimitation in Dhaka today in the wake of the recent face-off over Myanmar’s intrusion into Bangladesh’s territorial waters in the Bay for hydrocarbon exploration. The recent tension between the two next-door neighbours flared as Myanmar(The Newage)

unilaterally early this month started oil and gas exploration in Block AD-7 claimed to be Bangladesh’s territory in the Bay of Bengal.

During the hydrocarbon exploration, Myanmar kept warships in the area for assisting Daewoo, the Korean conglomerate which was awarded the task. In response to Yangon’s arrangement, Dhaka also sent its warships to the area.

Myanmar finally pulled back its warship and started withdrawing hydrocarbon exploration equipment from the disputed waters in the Bay after Bangladesh’s multi-pronged diplomatic manoeuvres involving China and South Korea.

The fourth round of such discussion since its resumption in January after more than two decades would discuss core issues of starting point and exclusive economic zone of the two neighbours to put forward their claims before the United Nations.

As signatories to the United Nations Conventions of the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS), Bangladesh has to take up the claim with the Commission on the Limits of the Continental Shelf by 2011 and Myanmar by 2009 for dispute resolution.

Maung Moyint, the deputy foreign minister of Myanmar, will lead an 11-member delegation while Bangladesh’s additional foreign secretary MAK Mahmood will lead a 12-member home side to the two-day talks.

The Myanmar delegation arrived in Dhaka Saturday afternoon to attend the two-day technical discussion.

‘As the deputy foreign minister of Myanmar leads the delegation, we except some positive outcome at the meeting,’ Mahmood told New Age Saturday evening.

He said as the negotiation process began in January, the two-day meeting in Dhaka would be the third technical talks between the two countries.

Another official, who is in the Bangladesh delegation, said Dhaka would emphasise the method of ‘starting point’ on how to mark from the coastline the exclusive economic zone.

‘We hope they [Myanmar] may give some positive response at the scheduled meeting,’ the official said.

The issue of ‘starting point’ on how to mark from the coastline the exclusive economic zone that has apparently overlapped claims of Bangladesh, India and Myanmar because of the funnel-like shape of the Bay of Bengal, said an official.

A country is supposed to enjoy its right to fish and other marine resources as well as extraction of mineral resources in exclusive economic zone, an area of 200 nautical miles into an adjacent sea, according to international maritime law.

In the absence of a recognised exclusive economic zone, India and Myanmar recently opposed Bangladesh’s offshore block bidding for exploration of oil and gas even within the territorial waters of the country.

The issue of continental shelves in the Bay also came up during the staggered discussions. The United Nations Convention on Law of the Sea allows each country to claim 350 nautical miles as its continental shelf.

The military-controlled interim government initiated to resume negotiations with Delhi and Yangon as its delay in laying its claim to the maritime boundary allowed India and Myanmar to creep into the Bangladesh waters.

http://www.newagebd.com/2008/nov/16/front.html#4

This ones for them who opposed Bangladesh's military ability against Myanmar.

Military analyst says Myanmar Navy can't compete with Bangladesh's

The capabilities of the Myanmar Navy may have been over estimated according to a military researcher of a pro-democracy Myanmar group.

A Burmese military analyst said Burma's navy could not compete with Bangladesh's if the two countries come to blow over ongoing maritime boundary dispute in the Gulf of Bengal.

U Htay Aung from research and documentation department of Thailand-based Network for Democracy and Development said the Burmese Navy's weaponry and tactical skills are no match for those of Bangladesh.

"The Burmese government only has a few warships bought from China that break down often even during military exercises," said U Htay Aung.

"Many Burmese naval ships in Heingyi Island base were also destroyed by Cyclone Nargis," he said

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom