ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
Fair Technology launches Hyundai Santa Fe model

Jagaran Chakma

Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:00 AM Last update on: Thu Dec 23, 2021 03:05 AM

hyundai-cars.jpg

Mutasim Dayan, chief executive officer of Fair Technology Ltd, cuts a ribbon to unveil “Santa Fe” sport utility vehicle at The Westin Dhaka yesterday. Collected

Fair Technology Limited (FTL), a subsidiary of Fair Group, plans to introduce locally made Hyundai cars in Bangladesh by the end of 2022.

The company is setting up a plant at the Bangabandhu Hi-tech Park on Dhaka's outskirt Kaliakair to produce the cars.

"In order to provide locally manufactured cars at reasonable prices, we have teamed up with the Korean automobile giant Hyundai. We will set a target to manufacture low-end sport utility vehicle (SUV) to serve customers," said Mesbah Uddin, chief marketing officer at Fair Group.

He shared the plan at a press conference organised to launch 'Santa Fe 2021' model of Hyundai at The Westin Dhaka.

FTL has come up with the brand new SUV of the world famous Hyundai Motor Group. Hyundai Santa Fe makes its debut with a new design, hybrid and a thoroughly revamped interior.

Mutasim Dayan, chief executive officer of FTL, unveiled the SUV.

"The vision of FTL is to ensure a car for every family. To keep pace with the current era of modern technologies, Fair Technology will start production of electric vehicles by 2023," Dayan said.

FTL introduced the new model Hyundai SUV at a time when demand for new cars is growing by around five per cent annually in Bangladesh. Annually 5,000 new cars are sold in the country, said industry operators.

The 2,500cc Santa Fe has all new and modern features. Rich with safety-powered window, slide garnish, LED projection head lamp, LED rear combination lamp, panoramic sunroof, the seven-seater car is quite comfortable, said FTL in a press release.

It also features the Harman Cardon branded sound system, blind spot detection view, a 360-degree surround view camera, and dual-zone automatic temperature control.

The model is priced at Tk. 78 lakh.

Hamid R Chowdhury, adviser of Fair Group, Abu Naser Mahmud, head of sales, and JM Taslim Kabir, head of marketing, also spoke at the event.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looking at the pricing and trim level, they are placing this in the market as a luxury vehicle, which is actually appropriate.

Why not Santro, i10 or elantra. Cheaper/affordable models will result in more sales.

Hyundai Pakistan has introduced elantra, Tucson and Sonata. And surprisingly Hyundai Sonata which cost 80+ lakh is selling more than Elantra (costs 40 lakh). 350 units of Sonata as compared to 250 Elantras every month. I think same is the case with Bangladesh. People like expensive cars.

Is it assembly (like we did before) or actual manufacturing plants with assembly's robots etc?

I hope it's the latter, assembling (screwdriver industry) isn't very special, and bangladesh have done so in the past (like pragoti mitsubishi)

hybrid car is the surprise here

Yes. Eventually I hope electrics also make the debut locally, but before you can have those, you need a charging point on every corner of every city. In the US, only California larger cities have this infrastructure (Tesla have their own Tesla-only charging stations).

Maybe brother @shotgunner (if he has time) can tell us about how extensive the charging infra in China is. Or provide a few links for us to study.

Is it assembly (like we did before) or actual manufacturing plants with assembly's robots etc?

I hope it's the latter, assembling (screwdriver industry) isn't very special, and bangladesh have done so in the past (like pragoti mitsubishi)

Bhai for now - the volume we have in Bangladesh is good enough for screwdriver Industry only. Maybe a few hundred (under a thousand) per year for local market unless they export it. This SUV costs 87 lakh locally, not many can afford it.

Govt. needed to lower tariff on imported parts - like yesterday. Unless that is done (similar to the cellphone and motorcycle situations), industry won't take off.

As you know, going into body panel stamping plants and manufacturing crankshafts will need very large investments, which cannot be justified unless we have export markets. I hear Mirsarai SEZ will have auto parts plants and the Japanese SEZ in Araihazar will have some too. THAT is a prerequisite for having competitive prices for export market automobiles.

Why not Santro, i10 or elantra. Cheaper/affordable models will result in more sales.

Hyundai Pakistan has introduced elantra, Tucson and Sonata. And surprisingly Hyundai Sonata which cost 80+ lakh is selling more than Elantra (costs 40 lakh). 350 units of Sonata as compared to 250 Elantras every month. I think same is the case with Bangladesh. People like expensive cars.

Bhai Pakistanis have more accumulated wealth and have more expensive tastes. Bangladeshi educated middle class people are more humble and self-effacing and are happy to drive around in JDM re-conditioned (refurbished) cars like Toyota Noahs, Premios and Allions. Those are big sellers locally and go for about twenty five lakh locally - size is in between Corollas and Camrys, ideal for Dhaka streets and not as unsafe as 800cc mini cars. They are no worse than a Sonata and are VERY reliable.

We of course have our mega rich too but they don't buy hyundais or used cars.

Yes. Eventually I hope electrics also make the debut locally, but before you can have those, you need a charging point on every corner of every city. In the US, only California larger cities have this infrastructure (Tesla have their own Tesla-only charging stations).

Maybe brother @shotgunner (if he has time) can tell us about how extensive the charging infra in China is. Or provide a few links for us to study.
Bro I almost missed your tag! Yes I am driving an EV (NIO ES6), I can "fill it up" at charging stations like any EV or I can swap the battery (this feature is specific to NIO brand only), all very convenient here in Shanghai where EVs of all brands are selling like hot cakes.

11.jpg

Not familiar with the broader picture though, perhaps car/EV fans like @GS Zhou or @Kai Liu may share some info.

Last edited:

Bro I almost missed your tag! Yes I am driving an EV (NIO ES6), I can "fill it up" at charging stations like any EV or I can swap the battery (this feature is specific to NIO brand only), all very convenient here in Shanghai where EVs of all brands are selling like hot cakes.

View attachment 802968

Not familiar with the broader picture though, perhaps car/EV fans like @GS Zhou or @Kai Liu may share some info.
Sure, Bro. NIO's battery swapping is great technology and one feasible solution for EVs. As for charging infrastructures, I believe China is also developing very rapidly. We have 2.253 million charging poles, with Guangdong, Shanghai, and Beijing leading the chart, according to this report:
And the number is growing rapidly.
There are lots of videos about driving EVs across the country, as the charging facilities are available in almost every service station of the highway and in the cities. Some even drive their EVs to Tibet. I think this couple's real experience of long-distance (1,700 km) EV driving can tell us the story:
If they don't want to spend time in other cities and to have some rest, they can reach their destination within one day.
As the growing number of EVs (over half the world's total number of EVs are in China), you can see lots of EVs like BYD Han, NIO, etc. etc. charging in the service stations, the charging infrastructure needs to be expanded accordingly. But again, I think NIO has the added advantage of battery swapping which will make long distance travel more effortless.

P.S.
My thread about Chinese EVs:

Last edited:
Sure, Bro. NIO's battery swapping is great technology and one feasible solution for EVs. As for charging infrastructures, I believe China is also developing very rapidly. We have 2.253 million charging poles, with Guangdong, Shanghai, and Beijing leading the chart, according to this report:
And the number is growing rapidly.
There are lots of videos about driving EVs across the country, as the charging facilities are available in almost every service station of the highway and in the cities. Some even drive their EVs to Tibet. I think this couple's real experience of long-distance (1,700 km) EV driving can tell us the story:
If they don't want to spend time in other cities and to have some rest, they can reach their destination within one day.
As the growing number of EVs (over half the world's total number of EVs are in China), you can see lots of EVs like BYD Han, NIO, etc. etc. charging in the service stations, the charging infrastructure need to be expanding accordingly. But again, I think NIO has the added advantage of battery swapping which will make long distance travel more effortless.

P.S.
My thread about Chinese EVs:

Many, many Thanks brother @Kai Liu . :-)

Some of us are very interested in the EV scene in China, as it is the leading industry platform spearheading technology development.

With a HQ in Los Angeles (Gardena Area) one of the promising Chinese EV companies in California is "Faraday Future" which also has a plant in Hanford, a few miles South of Fresno. This company was well funded but faced severe problems in the past three years, but now is seemingly headed back for production start in 2022. Their vehicle is sort of expensive and in the Luxury category.

1280px-FF91.jpg

Many, many Thanks brother @Kai Liu . :-)

Some of us are very interested in the EV scene in China, as it is the leading industry platform spearheading technology development.

With a HQ in Los Angeles (Gardena Area) one of the promising Chinese EV companies in California is "Faraday Future" which also has a plant in Hanford, a few miles South of Fresno. This company was well funded but faced severe problems in the past three years, but now is seemingly headed back for production start in 2022. Their vehicle is sort of expensive and in the Luxury category.

1280px-FF91.jpg
I think the biggest problem with FF is the ever delay of their products, same problem also exists in startup companies such as Byton. And they rely too much on the capital market to raise money. But still wish they can succeed.
Some executives from FF established the company Human Horizons, and rolled out the model Hiphi X, which sold ~700 units per month here, considering the price tag of ~100,000 USD, I think this sales figure is not bad:

Last edited:
I think the biggest problem with FF is the delay of their products, same problem also exists in startup companies such as Byton. And they rely too much on the capital market to raise money. But still wish they can succeed.
Some executives from FF established the company Human Horizons, and rolled out the model Hiphi X, which sold ~700 units per month, considering the price tag of 100,000 USD, I think this sales figure is not bad:

Yes FF had severe funding problems, but seems (per Wiki) they have most of their troubles behind them.

Crossing our fingers and hoping for the best for them... :-)

Hyundai Santa Fe was total failure in India, few car in Hyundai stable which performed way below expectation. There were severe problems reported with the car.
Still now its manufactured in India for overseas market.
The CKD kit for BD most probably will be manufactured in India

Most probably the 2022 edition will be launched at 2023 in India.

Last edited:
Mutasim Dayan, chief executive officer of Fair Technology Ltd, cuts a ribbon to unveil

View attachment 802968

What are the prices of China-built EVs?
sport utility vehicle at The Westin Dhaka yesterday. Collected

Back
Top Bottom