What's new

Bangladesh has more internet penetration than India, Pakistan far behind

Lies. Damed lies and statistics. Meaningless numbers with no context behind them. Pakistan's internet penetration might be 5 times less than what's stated. Or might be higher.

I have by my count 5 internet connections. My two phones, work, home and parents home. Am I one user or 5? If a family of 5 has one internet connection in Dad's name, is it 1 user or 5?

If Granny asks her Grand daughter to play YouTube videos for her favourite songs and occasional receipes is she a "user"?

What about people in 'Net cafes'?

a small city called Bangladesh can be easily provided access to internet. 1 connection is enough for all. no big communication lines needed.

Home Business
12:00 AM, June 30, 2017 / LAST MODIFIED: 12:00 AM, June 30, 2017
Bangladesh has 7 crore internet users

chart_124.jpg

Muhammad Zahidul Islam
Total active internet connections crossed the milestone of seven crore in April -- a development that can be viewed as a pat on the back for the government's 'Digital Bangladesh' aspiration.

“This landmark achievement is a matter of pride for us -- very few countries in the world have such huge volumes of internet connections,” said Shahjahan Mahmood, chairman of the Bangladesh Telecommunication Regulatory Commission.

Of the total connections, 93.69 percent are through the mobile network, 6.17 percent through the internet service providers and only 0.14 percent through WiMAX that is available in cities.

The industry crossed the six crore mark in August last year, five crore in August 2015 and four crore in September 2014. At the end of May, total active internet connections stood at 7.20 crore, according to the telecom regulator.

Of the mobile operators, market leader Grameenphone has about 2.96 crore internet connections, Robi 2.18 crore, Banglalink 1.55 crore and state-owned Teletalk 4.48 lakh.

The two WiMAX operators Banglalion and Qubee have 45,551 and 36,559 active internet users respectively.

State-owned landline operator Bangladesh Telecommunications Company Limited has 21,021 internet connections.

Mobile phone operators said the internet has become a basic need and the industry will see a good growth rate when the bandwidth prices decline.

The top three mobile operators' quarterly financial reports also showed their data usage has grown but they said the unique internet user numbers are not increasing significantly.

Currently, only about 20 percent of their subscribers are using the internet, the mobile operators said. However, based on its numbers, the BTRC said, as of now internet penetration stands at 44.43 percent.

At the end of May, the total active mobile connections stood at 13.50 crore. If any SIM does not remain active for 90 days, it is considered inactive.
http://www.thedailystar.net/business/bangladesh-has-7-crore-internet-users-1426204

Well as usual the neighbor's agents are spreading lies around the world. If you go to the ITU, Wikipedia or UN site, Bangladesh' internet penetration is shown as lower than anyone in South Asia. While if you look at the latest stats as of March 2017,

ASIA=====Popn( 2017 Est.)==Internet Users, 31-Mar-17==Penetration(% Population)==Facebook users ,30 Jun-16
Bangladesh===164,827,718==66,965,000============40.6 %================21,000,000
Pakistan=====196,744,376==35,835,400============18.2 %================27,000,000
India======1,342,512,706==462,124,989===========34.4 %===============157,000,000

Source:
http://www.internetworldstats.com/stats3.htm#asia

Even this data is dated, as the previous published report shows that our Internet penetration rate has reached 44.43%.

i always feel the data is not correct for Pakistan something is missing or they only show internet users using broadband wimax etc. not counting mobile internet users.

just imagine Bangladesh with 66 million users have lower FB users then Pakistan seems fishy.

just imagine Bangladesh with 66 million users have lower FB users then Pakistan seems fishy.
Bangladeshi people are actually more in Youtube than facebook. Bangla movie, drama, music videos, songs, travels, political shows are hugely popular in BD which can be gauged by their view count. Popular Bangla youtube videos are seen by tens of millions of viewer from Bangladesh. Moreover vast majority of Bangladeshi youtube videos are written in Bengali language. There are millions of videos in Youtube which are written in Bengali language.

Bangladeshi people are actually more in Youtube than facebook. Bangla movie, drama, music videos, songs, travels, political shows are hugely popular in BD which can be gauged by their view count. Popular Bangla youtube videos are seen by tens of millions of viewer from Bangladesh. Moreover vast majority of Bangladeshi youtube videos are written in Bengali language. There are millions of videos in Youtube which are written in Bengali language.
That is because there are so many Bengali people in India also, combined they have huge presence on YouTube

i dont think a person using YT is not using FB or twitter and its strange that i have not seen/felt Bangladeshis presence on Internet so much, i mean even Pakistani Dramas movies and songs have millions and millions of views and mostly commented by indians and even Bangladeshis and Nepalis but that logic is beyond my understanding. anyways i have no issue for Bangla internet users numbers but Pakistan numbers are totally out of sense considering big Pakistanis presence on internet and internet and social networking sites presence in Pakistani society and its impact in Pakistani politics all cant be possible with just 18% penetration.

i dont think a person using YT is not using FB or twitter
There are millions who mainly active in youtube but not in Facebook or twitter including myself.I have a Facebook account where I enter 1 or 2 times in a year and have no twitter account.I consider browsing facebook is a time wastage.I know many from BD, who rarely peek in facebook but spends hours in youtube everyday.

Last edited:
It is true that,Indian Bengali viewers add up.But if you observe the Bengali contents in youtube for few days, than you will notice 90 percent Bengali videos are uploaded from Bangladesh and viewers are overwhelmingly from Bangladesh.Even the videos uploaded from West Bengal, most of the views and comments come from Bangladesh.I am not saying,internet uses are comparatively less in West Bengal or other Bengali dominated areas in India.But they seems to more interested about Hindi or other Indian stuff than Bengali one.

There are millions who mainly active in youtube but not in Facebook or twitter including myself.I have a Facebook account where I enter 1 or 2 times in a year and have no twitter account.I consider browsing facebook is a time wastage.I know many from BD, who rarely peek in facebook but spends hours in youtube everyday.
its not about how often you get active in FB its about how much accounts Bangladeshis have on FB if you get active even once in a year it still count.

its strange that i have not seen/felt Bangladeshis presence on Internet so much, i mean even Pakistani Dramas movies and songs have millions and millions of views and mostly commented by indians and even Bangladeshis
Isn't it contradictory to claim that you don't seen/felt Bangladeshi presence in internet while claiming Pakistani movie drama and songs are commented by Bangladeshi? This is not only about Pakistani,Go to Indian videos,you will notice many Bangladeshi comments,many many times more than Pakistani one.

Isn't it contradictory to claim that you don't seen/felt Bangladeshi presence in internet while claiming Pakistani movie drama and songs are commented by Bangladeshi? This is not only about Pakistani,Go to Indian videos,you will notice many Bangladeshi comments,many many times more than Pakistani one.

not obsessed with indian content as we have our own content to watch, furthermore did i ever said that there are no Bangladeshis at all.? you feel presence when you see specific people everywhere on internet.

was that so much difficult to comprehend..:undecided:

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom