What's new

Bangladesh has more internet penetration than India, Pakistan far behind

even in Dec 2016 Only 3G & 4G Pakistani internet users were more then 40 million dont know where the data of 35 million is coming from and i am seeing the same 35 million in this site for the last several years with them only changing the dates:lol: Pakistan traditionally have the highest internet penetration in South Asia since 2003.

Yeah... And they **** the bandwidth!

I can't forgive myself for introducing such services to my parents :undecided:

huh... i know youtube dont have a proxy in Iran. Thats why you experience in slowdown of bandwidth due to youtube.
All ISPs keeps people busy in youtubing and facebooking to save bandwidth cost at their end.

Pakistan has 25% more population than Bangladesh. Take that into account.

yes but according to the report Bangbladesh has more internet users so population does not matter in that case. If bangladesh really had more internet users than Pakistan its online presence would have shown but we do not see it

It is pretty difficult to estimate the number of users on internet. A broadband connection can be shared by the whole family or just an individual or even a small business. Also IPv4 protocol means that we have a very limited number of unique addreses (IPs) so the wifi modems and routers provide local IPs to the connected devices so the number of device and users are far more than the number of connections.

But still I think Bd might be topper in the subcontinent because of its smaller size and higher population density than both India and Pakistan. It just makes easier and economically more viable for the service providers to cover dense areas.

It is pretty difficult to estimate the number of users on internet. A broadband connection can be shared by the whole family or just an individual or even a small business. Also IPv4 protocol means that we have a very limited number of unique addreses (IPs) so the wifi modems and routers provide local IPs to the connected devices so the number of device and users are far more than the number of connections.

But still I think Bd might be topper in the subcontinent because of its smaller size and higher population density than both India and Pakistan. It just makes easier and economically more viable for the service providers to cover dense areas.

Yah hard to estimate for sure (you have to survey a few different ways)....but population density only really matters for acquiring more coverage past 2/3rd of people (i.e the last third)....given the way population densities in subcontinent are actually spread (even when their overall nominal densities are varied).

Active connections to me are still a poor illustrator, esp if you are not comparing apples to apples with other countries (i.e they dont measure it the same way). Either every country measures it the way BD does (to compare) or BD figures get standardised to the ways others measure it as much as possible.....simply posting a list on some site of all different standards of measurement is not useful....at least internet live stats and ITU standardise their definition.

This data is fishy, how did Bangladesh go from the lowest penetration in South Asia in 2016 to having the highest less than a year later?

http://www.thedailystar.net/busines...t-internet-penetration-south-asia-itu-1260400

UN Data says that Pakistan in 2015 had internet penetration of 18%, but if the change is averaging at something like 1.2% as this data and other sources suggest then how can it end up at 18.2% 2 years later?

http://data.un.org/Data.aspx?d=WDI&f=Indicator_Code:IT.NET.USER.P2
http://www.internetlivestats.com/internet-users-by-country/

and according to this data, the percentage of households with internet access in Pakistan is 24% whereas the number of households with internet access in Bangladesh is 11%

http://www.itu.int/net4/ITU-D/idi/2016/#idi2016countrycard-tab&BGD

My guess is some naughty data manipulation by the Bangladeshi minister gave that figure of 40%, because theres no way they jumped up 26 percentage points in less than a year.

yes but according to the report Bangbladesh has more internet users so population does not matter in that case. If bangladesh really had more internet users than Pakistan its online presence would have shown but we do not see it
Do you follow Bengali contents. I doubt you are

This data is fishy, how did Bangladesh go from the lowest penetration in South Asia in 2016 to having the highest less than a year later?

Lowest = international standards/definition

Highest = local standards/definition

When the international standards/definition comes form ITU and internet live stats (who use ITU) later this year for 2017, there will be much less dissonance.

My guess is some naughty data manipulation by the Bangladeshi minister gave that figure of 40%,

I don't think its data manipulation in this case. Its just a very localised (and lax) definition of what a "user" is...i.e 1:1 with active connection (which no other country as far as I am aware uses...and rightfully so....that definition stinks).

I don't think its data manipulation in this case. Its just a very localised (and lax) definition of what a "user" is...i.e 1:1 with active connection (which no other country as far as I am aware uses...and rightfully so....that definition stinks).

Thats what I meant under the data manipulation i.e counting students using school computers, or adding the number of people that signed for a government service using an online only sign-up page.

Maybe data manipulation is a dirty term, but that's basically what it is right? My understanding of internet penetration is that its not how many people can access the internet, but how many people do access the internet on a regular basis and for personal usage.

Lies. Damed lies and statistics. Meaningless numbers with no context behind them. Pakistan's internet penetration might be 5 times less than what's stated. Or might be higher.

I have by my count 5 internet connections. My two phones, work, home and parents home. Am I one user or 5? If a family of 5 has one internet connection in Dad's name, is it 1 user or 5?

If Granny asks her Grand daughter to play YouTube videos for her favourite songs and occasional receipes is she a "user"?

What about people in 'Net cafes'?
It's actually a bad post. The methods employed in gross counting are very sophisticated. These type of figures usually don't have an error of more than 5%.

Thats what I meant under the data manipulation i.e counting students using school computers, or adding the number of people that signed for a government service using an online only sign-up page.

Maybe data manipulation is a dirty term, but that's basically what it is right? My understanding of internet penetration is that its not how many people can access the internet, but how many people do access the internet on a regular basis and for personal usage.

Well Bd people here already hate me for saying their govt manipulates data a lot (more than even regional average which also is pretty bad overall)...so I delineate the details a bit more now when I can.

Yes your definition is the valid one. Also the BD definition is not even who theoretically has access, they literally count each connection as a user it seems (well this minister does anyway)....I mean the basic fact is that many (richer) people can have multiple connections (say phone, wired broadband, office network etc etc). Its similar to why having better GDP per capita need not mean lower poverty rate....but that argument only used here when it favours BD. Anyways I gave up trying to convince them, I just post my 2 cents here and there for others stopping by here....or just have some fun with the banter.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom