What's new

Bangladesh:Gunfight at BDR headquarters

My post clearly stated India had invested heavy capital to install Awami govt in power.

You mean India rigged your election, then why wasnt this challenged in court ? The whom did the people vote for ? Why is the opposition who lost keeping quiet about it.

India and its nefarious intel agency RAW has been acting against Bangladesh since independence. When Indian prime plot to destroy Bangladesh defense institution, obstacle to its agenda, was in progress India threatened for intervene if their killing mission was stopped. All were done under disguise of "caution" and "amnesty"..

RAW against BD to destory BD Army..whats India;s interest in BD other than the geographical mass. The only concern India has with BD is the extremist organisations there.

Threat of intervening in Bangladesh internal security matter not only implicate Indian involvement in BDR massacre but also make India an enemy state to Bangladesh.

You are saying India would have interevened and then you are basing on atht assumption to categorically say India is BD's enemy.

Why India is suspected behind BDR Mutny ?

Many belonging to BAL / India defend the possibility of being India behind the mutiny on the ground that : Mutiny was staged to destabilize Bangladesh. What motive BAL/India in that ?

They are stopping at the point "destabilize"; and that is why they are failing to see the proper perspective. They must read what is behind "destabilize Bangladesh"

The statement is in fact required to be extended as follows:
Mutiny was staged to destabilize Bangladesh---right in the beginning of BAL rule---to ensure BAL's continuous rule for next minm 15 years by achieving----under the pandemonium of destabilization----following targets:

1. Create a total confusion leading to a pseudo-Civil war
2. Make the way for intrusion of Indian Forces
3. Replace BDR by a neo Rakkhi Bahini
4. Weaken the Army to a pulp
5. Crush all institutions that are capable of influencing the mass
6. Dismantle all cores of strengths of democratic opposition
5. Create a situation that most politically active persons and Govt. servants--by reward or threat---become sycophants of BAL
6. THUS, ensure minm 15 years rule (as long as Hasina is actively alive) of BAL under shadow of India

Fortunately, the Almighty intervened. The blue-print went wrong:

1. Only around 1000 BDR personnel were coerced, and most them too lost the will or motivation at advance of Army tanks & APCs
2. Army Officers became alert & united and even thrashed PM with right questions
3. Some people saw quickly what happened behind Nanok-Ajam-Sahara drama
4. Overall Bangladeshis showed tremendous wisdom in suspecting the long-range plan

That put the "Mastermind" to retreat, and made them totally engrossed to cover own footsteps. Even the fall-back plan failed to work as good as it was expected.

If you want to bury someone 10' deep in water, you have to go down yourself at least 9'. To trace back that 9' under stress, excitment & exhaustion is sometimes the most difficult part---particularly when you fail even to accomplish the burying.

OK, NOW YOU MAY SEE THE WHOLE PICTURE.

Last edited:
Why India is suspected behind BDR Mutny ?

Many belonging to BAL / India defend the possibility of being India behind the mutiny on the ground that : Mutiny was staged to destabilize Bangladesh. What motive BAL/India in that ?

They are stopping at the point "destabilize"; and that is why they are failing to see the proper perspective. They must read what is behind "destabilize Bangladesh"

The statement is in fact required to be extended as follows:
Mutiny was staged to destabilize Bangladesh---right in the beginning of BAL rule---to ensure BAL's continuous rule for next minm 15 years by achieving----under the pandemonium of destabilization----following targets:

1. Create a total confusion leading to a pseudo-Civil war
2. Make the way for intrusion of Indian Forces
3. Replace BDR by a neo Rakkhi Bahini
4. Weaken the Army to a pulp
5. Crush all institutions that are capable of influencing the mass
6. Dismantle all cores of strengths of democratic opposition
5. Create a situation that most politically active persons and Govt. servants--by reward or threat---become sycophants of BAL
6. THUS, ensure minm 15 years rule (as long as Hasina is actively alive) of BAL under shadow of India

You have only mentioned what was the plan, but not the motive.

News for 300 or so calls was from daily ittefaq and was posted in this thread. Go back and look through.

Pakistan could not accomodate hundreds of thousands of staranded Pakistani and you think they really care who Awami league and its chorots label as rakakar? People has more to think about their food, earnings and essentials than dancing with Awami seasonal political ploy.

With your line of arguments one can say Indian FM came with demand of transit, SA taskforce and what not. Since that has not materilized because of defense institution and popular opposition, India out to destroy BD defense. Credible information that came out of investiogation so far points to that direction.

As far as jane, FEER and other far fetched stories, those came from the direct script of now defunct "war on terror" aka crusade. As your thinking deeply entrenched and subscribed to those rejected scheme and view of neo cons (rejected even by mass in US, UK), there is not much to say other than what had been said by millions already. I am afraid your line of baseless and far fetched story line up only degrade the quality of discussion and information.

I asked a reference from an independent source(any source outside South Asia) and you failed to do so.I have read the Ittefaq one.Question is,do u think RAW is that stupid/unprofessional that they will leave trail of their involvement in such a open way? It proves that either u or naive Ittefaq journalist has no idea about the way external intelligence agencies work all over the world.Itellligence agencies all over the world do process their work in multistep way to hide their sign.Anything other than that is a mere BS.

I saw your comment that 2008 election was not an outcome of verdict of people of BD,rather a RAW funded outcome.By this comment you discredited the whole nation.How come when u have no respect for BD people opinion,try to portray yourself as vanguard of BD?I want to remind you that the election has been ceritified fair and neutral by media as well as foreign observers.So,don't disrespect verdict of my country people in front of foreigners.You have no right to do that

Regarding JMB involvement in BDR mutiny, it's a high possibility.Since Udichi killing at Ramna Botomul,in all the killings in BD,either HUJI or JMB are involved.I talked a couple of years back with Australian millitary attache in BD.He told as long an organisation has 10 dedicated people,that is dangerous.So,still JMB is dangerous.A sleeper cell of JMB could be used in BDR mutiny.My points are...

1.Jamat,right now trying it's level best to avoid trial of collaborators of '71.Lot of JMB caders are ex-JAMAT people.So,JAMAT can easily use it's proxy.

2.Investgators said,the plan of BDR mutiny being launched 2 months back.It was the same time Awami League came to power.

3.ISI no longer use BD land to help and train ULFA and other north-eastern Indian agencies as PM strongly vowed to stop using BD land.
4.10 truck arms haul case which gonna open ULFA chief and BNP collaboration.

5.RAB colonel Guljar and other anti-JMB operational activist got killed.Also,BDR chief who is known to more friendly with India,got killed.

Actually,the mutiners wanted to lauch mutiny on 25th when Hasina was there.Late BDR chief's action prevented that.Motive of JAMAT was to do a similar mutiny like '75 and kill Hasina/create anarchy so that it could force army to takeover power.

On a different note,Jane's defence and FEER have more credibility globally than all fundoo Jehadi mouthpieces combined at any given time.Thanks.

Last edited:
You have only mentioned what was the plan, but not the motive.

ON POSSIBLE MOTIVES BEHIND BDR CARNAGE

The plan supposed here is the most befitting version---to me---out of many that are emerging out of numerous postings in various forums---at local & abroad---mostly by Bangladeshis. It shows that the degree of concern and commitment to un-earth the mystery is quite extensive among Bangladeshis----reminding me of 1971 days.

This also indicates that Bangladeshi people in general are not putting any trust on CID Probe report.---or even whether it will emerge at all. They would trust Army Report but are apprehensive, too, about this seeing any day light unless Army forcefully wishes so.

That coupled with common-sense concern for any impending national crisis of even to an escalated degree has driven many from all spheres and profession to carry out an analysis of his own, and compare with others in repeated attempts to understand what had happened and what is happening & upcoming. Many of those views / reports appear on blogs, forums, editorials, articles etc.

The most sound account of possible motive, a compound one, though---as I found from those mentioned above---is as follows:

1.To control Bangladesh fully in the back-yard while India will soon contain & neutralize Pakistan in the front---to eradicate Islamic Militancy and any Military strength from Pakistan, and diminish it to a failed state.

2.Then to ensure that so-far-mostly-docile Islam in Bangladesh is completely extinguished to remove all together any opportunity that may ever ignite full-scale Islamic Militancy

3. Take as much benefit as possible from Bangladesh commodity market and Gas resources

The timing was chosen now because the next BDR Parade 2010 will give enough time to others to recover from their ‘down fall due to corruption’ which Bangladesh people may forget and even forgive while noting what incumbants are doing in that regard.

You may assume that I have any inclination for BNP/JI/JMB or such. I even never had voted in my life for BNP or JI----and personally consider JMB as criminal killers.

What stretch, what spin :)

The scotland yard has arrived, the AL govt has done a great job by calling them as any investigation by AL would have been used by JEI and their brothers in madness to make the claim that the govt is on the payroll of India.

BTW its AWESOME to read some bangladeshis call anyone who does not follow their line to be on India's payroll.

Actually some 49% ppl of bangladesh are on india's payroll, we paid them to vote for AL :lol:

What stretch, what spin :)

The scotland yard has arrived, the AL govt has done a great job by calling them as any investigation by AL would have been used by JEI and their brothers in madness to make the claim that the govt is on the payroll of India.

BTW its AWESOME to read some bangladeshis call anyone who does not follow their line to be on India's payroll.

Actually some 49% ppl of bangladesh are on india's payroll, we paid them to vote for AL :lol:

:lol: I gave up debating on this thread. People were merely interested in wild theories without regards to facts and logic. Was just checking in to see if there was any sanity!

This is the leaflet.

Probably Hijbut Tahrir will get banned in Bangladesh.

This is remarkable. I cannot believe anyone can be jailed for writing this. Its clearly not sedition or in any way threatening, merely an opinion! Whatever happened to my beloved Bangladesh to become such a censored country? I'm glad the US doesn't have the share the same line of thinking, otherwise I'd have been arrested long ago for my writings at GrandStrategy!

This is remarkable. I cannot believe anyone can be jailed for writing this. Its clearly not sedition or in any way threatening, merely an opinion! Whatever happened to my beloved Bangladesh to become such a censored country? I'm glad the US doesn't have the share the same line of thinking, otherwise I'd have been arrested long ago for my writings at GrandStrategy!

Hizb- ul -Tahrir is founded in 1952 by Sheikh Tariq,a breakway Palestinian leader of radical Muslim brotherhood of Egypt.It is a stern supporter of islamic Khilafat.In west,this mysterious,often secret organisation is often dubbed as 'soft Jehadist' org. It is banned in Germany,USA,most of countries of middle-east including Egypt,also in Pakistan and Indonesia.

In Pakistan,it is belived to be involved with Kashmir militancy in IOK.Also,it is belived that it mantains close association with Aimen-Al-Zaohori,Al-Quaida boss no 2(remember,Zaohori is an Egyptian,came from Muslim brotherhood background).

State Department tracks HT very carefully.So, it is not as innocent as you think.Personally,i think that it should be banned like HUJI,B and JMB.

Personally,this poster reminds me poster circulated by 'Jatiyo sainik songstha' of JSD after
7th November,1975 mutiny.Pattern is same.

Last edited:
Hizb- ul -Tahrir is founded in 1952 by Sheikh Tariq,a breakway Palestinian leader of radical Muslim brotherhood of Egypt.It is a stern supporter of islamic Khilafat.In west,this mysterious,often secret organisation is often dubbed as 'soft Jehadist' org. It is banned in Germany,USA,most of countries of middle-east including Egypt,also in Pakistan and Indonesia.

In Pakistan,it is belived to be involved with Kashmir militancy in IOK.Also,it is belived that it mantains close association with Aimen-Al-Zaohori,Al-Quaida boss no 2(remember,Zaohori is an Egyptian,came from Muslim brotherhood background).

State Department tracks HT very carefully.So, it is not as innocent as you think.Personally,i think that it should be banned like HUJI,B and JMB.

Personally,this poster reminds me poster circulated by 'Jatiyo sainik songstha' of JSD after
7th November,1975 mutiny.Pattern is same.

What balloney.

Hizbu Tahreer (Party of liberation) was formed by Taqiuddin an Nabhani.

It explicitly preaches against political violence, however it believes in aggressive political activism and preaching.

It's basic purpose is to re establish the KHilafah, through proseltyzing, not armed struggle.

It is not all that secretive as imagined. It's regeneration has been in the UK, since the early 90's, under the leadership of its then Emir, Omar Bakri Mohammad, who later became leader of defunct/banned group Al muahjiroon.

It took off in university and college campuses, and was involved in aggressive proseletyzing all over the UK, and from there spread its wings to Pakistan, Central Asia and other countries in the mid/late 90s.

It has no involvement in the Kashmiri Freedom struggle, and its emergence inthe subcontinent is a very recent phenomenon, mainly exported by contacts with British members.

Just because it's founder studied in Cairo 70 years ago, doesn't mean that the group today has a connection with AQ no. 2 Al Zawahiri, solely due to their 'Egyptianness'.

As for it being an offshoot of the Ikhawanul Muslimeen, then that is true. Almost every political party that claims Islamic ideology has its roots in the sister movements of the ikhwan ul muslimeen and jamate islami of Hasan Al Banna and Abul Ala Maudoodi, respectively.

Such wild aspersions and ridiculous accusations without a shred of evidence do nothing to enhance confidence in your posts.

Last edited:
Media and its coverage of BDR tragedy

THE coverage of the recent tragedy at the Bangladesh Rifles headquarters by the media, particularly the private television channels on which we were reliant for information as the rebellion unfolded inside the BDR compound, was most disappointing. If one is to take, in Adam Smith’s words, ‘the view of an objective spectator’ of how the event was covered on February 25 and most of February 26, there is no denying that the portrayal of jawans’ grievances, which inundated our TV screens, was somewhat lopsided. Invariably, the coverage during these initial hours played a pivotal role in conjuring up public sympathy and approval of the incident based on the grievances expressed by the mutineers to the TV cameras. Through this process, with or without the intention or knowledge of the newspersons or TV channels, a stream of disinformation was generated and circulated to the public. However, the next day, not surprisingly, we saw the same media sharply reverse their line of reporting as the gruesome reality of what took place inside the BDR headquarters began to surface. A readjustment and a shift in the discourse became evident.

It is quite possible that the lack of information or communication between various parties may have contributed to the mismanagement of whatever little information was available for broadcasting. Naturally, as the days unfolded, a more vivid picture of what actually happened in Pilkhana began to emerge and we got to know about them from news reports, talk-shows, and government statements in almost real-time television. The interesting aspect of the new stream of information flowing in on day two was that a fresh genre of information (or disinformation) was being produced and fed into the mainstream. For those of us religiously following the talk-shows and the news to gather whatever little more we can learn about the carnage at BDR headquarters, a stark reversal in the media’s sentiment and approach reinforced by the rhetoric of experts present baffled us. It seemed that we were being asked to forget everything we had already witnessed, seen, read or heard and now needed to reorganise our perception of what had happened at Pilkhana from scratch. A new set of information, knowledge and direction was in production, which seemed primarily focused on compensating for the early mishap. We found the apologetic electronic media complying with, and at the same time resorting to, an opposite line of disinformation in its effort to make up for the earlier glitch of turning the audience sympathetic towards the BDR jawans.

By bringing ‘experts’ with proficiency in defence, security, crisis management and politics, the TV channels became a place where expression of only a certain definitive perception seemed permissible. They became a medium for expressing utter and complete animosity towards a certain government institution and its individuals. The discussions, which often enjoyed representations from only one side of the debate, unabashedly permitted the use of demeaning slurs such as ‘chhokras’ and ‘oi betas’ while referring to these personnel on national TV. Such meaningless insults and belittling of an institution, which is still part of the people’s government and owner of a glorious recognition in our country’s history are simply not acceptable.
It is certainly true that a handful of rogue individuals in the BDR are responsible for the ruthless massacre of members of our armed forces and hence not worthy of forgiveness in the eyes of the law. Their attack on the army is an attack on Bangladeshis and our right to exist as a sovereign nation. This pre-planned massacre must be dealt with the harshest punishment to make it clear such acts will receive zero tolerance from the people of Bangladesh. The carnage has left a deep scar in each of us. It must be said the urge to avail no justice to the killers can, at times, be overpowering.

However, such sentiments cannot be translated into intolerance or disrespect for our other institution, one which is also assigned to protect us, and its soldiers. The media must not forget that the individuals in what they now perceive as a rogue institution are people of this country with full entitlement to justice and consideration as individuals in any other institutions or non-institutions. This sentiment was particularly missed when the government announced three days of national mourning specifically and exclusively dedicating them to our fallen army personnel, while excluding the civilians and BDR men (already stamped as criminals) who are victims of a similar barbaric fate. Not only did the media not denounce such discriminatory treatment by the government, they actively prototyped the selective mourning strategy of the government and telecast their condolences accordingly. Such sentiments disabled the media of portraying objective post-Pilkhana carnage coverage. For instance, while the news and talk-shows did make a prompt and genuine effort to bring the heartbreaking stories of our lost army officers and their families into the limelight, they were highly unsuccessful in bringing the stories of other victims and their loved ones from other quarters. There was no coverage or debates, taking place on the fate of the BDR jawans who got killed or on civilian victims and their families. Their stories for the large part remain un-chronicled.

What caused the electronic media or, for that matter, the media in general to embark on this subjective and reactionary line of reporting? Perhaps, the accusation made by the army chief about the media playing an irresponsible role in its initial coverage of the BDR rebellion made an impact. Or it could be the media responding to the information minister’s call to exercise self-regulation when reporting events such as these. Either way, the media readily made itself available as a platform, which facilitated one-sided condemnation of the BDR – a legitimate state institution – by the government, political parties, experts, other state institutions and various members of civil society. In doing so, it exacerbated the tension between the BDR and the army at a time when all of this blame-game and finger pointing should have been avoided and certainly not patronised by the media. The flow of disinformation that followed managed to create a feeling of aversion from the public towards the institution of the BDR as a whole.
Disinformation and its use are not entirely a new journalistic phenomenon in our country. In recent times, the newly emerging TV channels and some national dailies have established themselves as powerful entities in shaping public sentiments. For instance, we have witnessed their influential role both prior to the national elections (in mobilising public opinion on issues such as corruption and punishment of war criminals) as well as after the democratically elected government has taken office (by, for instance, providing intensive coverage on issues concerning the TIFA and transit deals). In both these cases, the media played an instrumental role in addressing the times and was successful in organising people’s aspiration to pressure decision-makers to deliver some coherent changes in governance. However, the extent of ‘journalistic’ methods employed in addressing some of these issues remains questionable and is a matter worthy of discussion.

Practice of journalistic professionalism and ethics are a rare sight in many of our electronic media and certainly in some giant dailies. There exists deeply-rooted schism between facts and comments, between what we know and what we are told, between what is unknown and asserted, between what is revealed and concealed in the information we receive. This blurring of the line between information and opinion, and tendency to pass the former as latter and vice versa, contributed to the systemic production of disinformation and the propensity to use the latter as information.

It is undeniable that the electronic media in its few years of existence has come a long way, and certainly fared well in communicating a fairly non-partisan outlook. However, application of objectivity and ability to paint a comprehensive picture of the issues at hand still remain uncultivated areas for our electronic media. News reporting and talk-shows will do well by utilising journalistic craftsmanship and a sense of service to the people. After all, the media is an integral part of a democratic system that must participate in building a critical mass. Information, critical mass and democracy are interlinked and dependent on each other for each of their survival. Disinformation threatens, overpowers and weakens these three crucial elements of our political life from functioning. Nobody can be secure in the knowledge that the information we are reliant on is susceptible to possible ‘designing’. Security can only be addressed through access to genuine information, and genuine information can be attained by asking the right questions.

http://www.newagebd.com/2009/mar/16/oped.html#1

Consequences of Bangladesh minister’s madness

By Midnight Musing

General [Retired] Moinul Hussain Chowdhury, in a television talk-show on Sunday evening said the comments of Commerce Minister Lieutenant Colonel [Retired] Faruk Khan will have a severe negative impact on members of Bangladesh Armed Forces serving in United Nation’s Peace Keeping Force [UNPKF].

Faruk Khan on February 12, 2009 said the banned militant outfit Jama’atul Mujahideen Bangladesh [JMB] was involved in the BDR mutiny staged February 25-26 at the border force’s headquarters in Dhaka, in which a large number of army officers were brutally killed.

The ex-military man now a politician, also the coordinator for the probe bodies extensively investigating into the mutiny compounded with the massacre at Bangladesh Riffles [BDR] headquarters.

“We have so far identified some persons in the BDR who are associated with JMB,” Faruk said, claiming to be based on feedback from the investigators.

Through this statement, Lt. Col. Faruk Khan, who is one of the heavyweight ministers in the present government in Bangladesh, has categorically tried to say that, Islamist militancy has penetrated Bangladesh’s law enforcing and disciplined forces. This will even open the window for anti-Bangladesh forces in hunting similar elements within the armed forces in the country.

Such public statement of the minister will certainty put a severe negative impact on the image of Bangladeshi forces working in UNPKF for years with high repute. There are reasons to believe that, such statement of Faruk Khan was not any mere madness, but a part of pre-planned conspiracy against the disciplined forces of the country.

For such unforgivable offense, Faruk Khan should not only be ousted from the cabinet forthwith, specific criminal charges should be brought against him for conspiring against Bangladesh Army and other disciplined forces of the country. And also there is room to raise question as to why this man leaked information on the ‘investigation process’ before it was made public. Moreover, such statement from the minister will certainly put tremendous influence on the report of the investigation committee.

From the file and rank of Faruk Khan, who retired from army as a lieutenant colonel evidently proves that, in military service he was never a brilliant or bright officer. For such reason, naturally his career came to pause just after reaching the secondary level of military positions. So, he has no authority to make any such comment by taking the advantage of his being an ex army man.

Vested interest groups are already active in cashing the comment of Faruk Khan in creating problems for Bangladeshi forces in UNPKF saying, some of them might have militancy alliance. And for obvious reason, such propaganda of the vested interest groups are getting ground with the substantial evidence of the controversial statement of the Bangladeshi minister.

While the investigation into the February’s BDR Massacre goes on, an immediate inquiry should be initiated to find out the mystery behind such blatant and mad comments of minister Faruk Khan. This is not a mere funny statement by a clown but a statement to be recorded as official document by many.

Weekly Blitz l Most Influential Newspaper in Bangladesh

--------------------------------------------------------

In my opinion the comments by Col. Faruk Khan are a direct outcome of the propaganda being generated by RAW and will continue to be the guideline upon which the AL will work. It is likely the government investigations into the mutiny will reflect the RAW line on the issue further undermining our security forces. This has been the objective of the Indian government since independence.

MBI Munshi

Consequences of Bangladesh minister’s madnessBy Midnight Musing

General [Retired] Moinul Hussain Chowdhury, in a television talk-show on Sunday evening said the comments of Commerce Minister Lieutenant Colonel [Retired] Faruk Khan will have a severe negative impact on members of Bangladesh Armed Forces serving in United Nation’s Peace Keeping Force [UNPKF].

--------------------------------------------------
All patriotic Bangladeshis must oversee that the opportunity of serving in UNPKF by our Army personnel never be closed----by irresponsible propaganda by BAL and its members who appear to harm Army's interest wherever they.

Not only UNKPF provide our Army the scope for earning high commendation on professional performance but also provide the scope for earning substantial additional foreign currency---both for personnel and the country.

I would appreciate MBI Munshi if he could write an article for local Bengali newspaper on this issue. Otherwise, great harm may happen infuriating the Army further.

Or is it what Faruk and his BAL are seeking to happen ?

Will someone clarify the following:

Many are referring to possible Arm supply assistance to ULFA--in relation to BDR mutiny--as if it is a great significant clue in identifying the real perpetrators.

Should we calrify the basic question, first ?

When Bangladesh fought the freedom struggle, India and many countries helped us. When ULFA is fighting the freedom struggle, should anyone help them ?

The arms haul in Chittagong several years ago and the BDR mutiny are entirely unrelated in that there is no evidence that ULFA or any other North East group was part of this conspiracy. The two issues must not be confused otherwise the true culprits of the mutiny will never be identified or the wrong people will be accused.

Back
Top Bottom