What's new

Bangladesh:Gunfight at BDR headquarters

And I have not seen any strong reason for Indian involvement in this sad incident
easier for your BSF troops to mess with our border areas.who knows how much area of land were annexed during this time?already they resumed building fences,doing this and that.
Linkie-http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesign/news-details.php?nid=78099#

Tension is mounting between Indian Border Security Force (BSF) and BDR men as India wants to exploit the worse crisis passing Bangladesh.
Local people said 69 BSF Battalion of Amulia camp resumed constructing a ring road to erect barbed wire fence 150 metre inside no-man's-land at Kamdevpur village under the camp on Saturday.
But in the face of strong opposition by 40 BDR Battalion, the Indian border force stopped the work.
But BSF men again started their activity with heavy machinery, including shovels and tractors, to develop the groundwork.
The BDR jawans again protested the BSF attempt and called for a flag meeting, but BSF did not respond to the meeting.
Despite repeated request, BSF men continued their work violating the international border rules.
It would have been great if the army was deployed along the borders.
It's time we erected our own fence,built bank conservation dams,etc etc.

One intriguing question is that how has Indians found Shakil Ahmed's death before anyone in BD?
you know that alone makes Indian one of the possible instigators.

Last edited:
I have seen some gd posts from you that's why I am replying. First let me make this clear...I don't take whatever media says and I don't believe that India as country is saint in dealing with its neighbour.

But can you point what India will achieve with this at this point of time. With PM Hasina coming to power with huge majority and her leaning towards India (well that’s my inference from post on this forums...Pt this out if I am wrong) India has more to lose. Revenge is motive, but in today's geopolitical scenario it would be very amateurish step. Also, this put PM Hasina in very tight spot and doesnt help her in selling good ties with India within BD.

And I have not seen any strong reason for Indian involvement in this sad incident

tx

Thank you at first for being honest,I shall try to be logical in my reply.

Suppose India did this,then they have the revenge.Then at the same time with pro India govt. here in Bangladesh,they blame the whole game on ISI and Pakistan.In this way they will take another revenge and will make world angry at Pakistan.To the delight of Indian Govt.

Bangladesh army lost its best officers during this tragedy.This made Bangladesh armed forces weaker,with BDR chain of command completely gone and a vacuum in Bangladesh army.This means Bangladesh defence forces became weaker.
Now when it will come to dealing with issues like water sharing,maritime boundary,border disputes and other disputes,then India would be able to bully its way through to gain unfair advantage.

India historically never wanted Bangladesh to have a strong military,as it would be a pain to them.They did not want to deal with another Pakistan.It wanted to turn us into something like Switzerland and unfortunately our this Prime Minister had talked of something like this as well in her last tenure.

The other thing India is scared of is China-Bangladesh relation.It fears China will be allowed to set up naval base by Bangladesh.So a weaker Bangladesh army means Bangladesh will be under Indian dictates.

I can continue with "Akhyand Bharat" ideology,but many here regards it as "Thrash".So I won't go further.

Hope the question is answered.

Last edited:
what are your unconfirmed sources?you know an article or two can back up your claims.
This is serious about what you said about the BSF directors.
where did you see Taposh distributing money?
who were your sources?

These are not in the media but people who attended in the meeting with PM. The meeting was closed door but few officers are talking those around. My sources are not confirmed but all the rumors so far seems correct.

Today I went to Dhanmondi again.A friend of mine said the army was there within 15 minutes after the shooting started.

A question arose in my mind.If the showing of force made rebels surrender,why was the tanks not brought on the very first hours?It would take 2-3 hours to bring tanks from Savar.

Although I had opposed military action in that area previously due to possiblity of civilian damage,but this "Showing off Strength" thing could have been done on the very first day and mutiny would end on the very first day.

What was the reason behind the delay?I am asking the same question many here and in Bangladesh already asked.
Not showing strength was a tactical mistake. But why disinformation was spreaded at the first place to believe in mutinier's cause and who did it needed to be investigated as well. Heart breaks out to see my beloved country is in SUCH DOWNWARD SPIRAL since 28th OCT, 06. What the curlprit ALers, MUA, FUA and Noor Muhammad gang have sowed seems reaping now, which has been forseen by me a long time ago. I would have been glad to be proved wrong though.

This means Bangladesh defence forces became weaker.
Now when it will come to dealing with issues like water sharing,maritime boundary,border disputes and other disputes,then India would be able to bully its way through to gain unfair advantage.
Hasina was having problems with the Indians...she was wanting those lost lands back and plus there were talks on the water issues.I hope the govt does not get trapped in a quagmire just like the Bush admin did in Iraq.

Still its early to point fingers.Time will tell.I hope the border guard forces keep performing their duties and keeps nabbing the smugglers, this and that.That's what we want and that's what those dead officers would have wanted.

Today I went to Dhanmondi again.A friend of mine said the army was there within 15 minutes after the shooting started.

A question arose in my mind.If the showing of force made rebels surrender,why was the tanks not brought on the very first hours?It would take 2-3 hours to bring tanks from Savar.

Although I had opposed military action in that area previously due to possiblity of civilian damage,but this "Showing off Strength" thing could have been done on the very first day and mutiny would end on the very first day.

What was the reason behind the delay?I am asking the same question many here and in Bangladesh already asked.

First tanks can not be brought within 3 hours, even arming it takes some time and moving is a huge task.
Most military analyst already said, army had anti tank artilary on hand at that time and that was enough for things to bring under control. Military action could or could not be logical thats a question of debate but quarantine the area and cordone them is undoubtebly unquestionable. They should have at least isolated the area and kick the media out of scene. Also should had enough arrangement to rescue the survivors who were fleeing and having them to report to the authority.

First tanks can not be brought within 3 hours, even arming it takes some time and moving is a huge task.
Most military analyst already said, army had anti tank artilary on hand at that time and that was enough for things to bring under control. Military action could or could not be logical thats a question of debate but quarantine the area and cordone them is undoubtebly unquestionable. They should have at least isolated the area and kick the media out of scene. Also should had enough arrangement to rescue the survivors who were fleeing and having them to report to the authority.

Yes,I heard what Lt.General Mir Shawkat said.
But tanks could have been brought on the first day,may be at around 4 pm.If they were too afraid to take military action,they could have at least have tried to bring the tanks to show off.

Yes,I heard what Lt.General Mir Shawkat said.
But tanks could have been brought on the first day,may be at around 4 pm.If they were too afraid to take military action,they could have at least have tried to bring the tanks to show off.

I would have done that... :enjoy:

which outfit was it that reached the scene?the 46 Infantry Brigade?I think I saw air assault units too in the tv.what other army formation have we got in Dhaka or in Savar?

http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesign/news-details.php?nid=78209

Some seizures puzzle army
Several Rifles Security Unit men suspected involved in carnage
Kailash Sarkar and Shaheen Mollah

Seizure of various firearms and equipment on BDR Headquarters premises yesterday confused the army personnel and other investigators of the assassination of military officers.

Besides, it is suspected that some members of the Rifles Security Unit (RSU) were also involved in the carnage, sources inform.

The sources say the personnel from various agencies including army, navy and fire service yesterday recovered several grenades, huge number of firearms, ammunition and other equipment including binoculars, walky-talkies and slings of SMGs.

Recovery of two binoculars and the belts of SMGs confuses the army and others investigators as these are used neither by the Bangladesh Army and BDR nor by any other government agencies.

Lt Ashiquzzaman of Bangladesh Navy told The Daily Star navy personnel recovered an LMG, five SMGs, two rifles, one pistol, 30 loaded magazines, and 2,000 bullets.

Other recovered explosives, arms and ammunition include 24 grenades, 16 walky-talkies, several thousand bullets of various guns, huge number of uniforms and shoes of the soldiers and their credit cards.

Earlier, about 10,000 bullets and several firearms and grenades were recovered from the BDR Headquarters. Some other arms and explosives were also recovered from neighbouring areas.

Sources say these arms, ammunition and explosives were left behind by the soldiers.

After recovering the arms and equipment, army officials exhibited those to the media at the hall room of Rifle Paribar Kalyan Samity (Ripoks) and the arsenal of BDR.

They also let journalists observe all the places and recovered arms and ammunition and also answered their queries.

Maj Awal said, "The two binoculars recovered in a search really confused us as these are used by neither the army, BDR and police nor any other government agencies in the country."

He suspects other parties imported these binoculars from outside.

"The SMGs recovered are used by BDR but the belts are not, which is another mystery to us," Maj Awal added.

He also said they recovered some walky-talkies which are used by RSU.

"We suspect some field-level RSU members might have been involved in the carnage and they did not make aware their senior officials," Maj Awal said. "If they informed the blueprint of the conspirators, the incident could not have been so brutal."

Sources say a huge number of arms were found under the beds and pillows of the sepoys.

Besides, most of the doors to the arsenal and the office of RSU and all the boxes of the firearms were found broken.

Some of the army officials said they suspect the culprits might have left behind various other materials in the ponds. If the ponds are thoroughly searched it could be helpful in unfolding the mystery, they added.

Apart from this, personnel from the army and fire service dug out huge ashes from a hole at a place in between Ripoks and Darbar Hall.

Maj Awal said the hole was dug out with the suspicion that it was a mass grave but no body was found there.

"But this huge quantity of ashes hidden into the hole confused us," he said. "The CID investigation team would probe it whether the culprits have burned something important and later hid those in the hole."

Moreover, another mystery over the presence of two foreign nationals, a female and a male, inside the BDR headquarters was yet to be unfolded.

Witnesses say foreign nationals Tang Yunpeng, 30, and Xang Zhaoua, 28, came out of the BDR Headquarters in the afternoon on February 26.

Sources say the reason behind their stay at the BDR HQ could not be known and they also did not make any comment on the condition during the hostage period.

very very interesting.

Also it could make somebody physically impotent,to rape standing in front of tanks...

Few things I heard from some unconfirmed sources. Your comments are welcomed..

1) Sohel Taj has a role in it with Indian linkage.
2) Tapos distributed money in Palashi point to the locals at the time of mutiny.
3) Vehicles and boats were ready to help flee the rebels.
4) Army indicated that India has a hand in it (when 18 BSF soldiers died in the hand of BDR, BSF directors said at that time as they will take the avenge by having BDR soldiers to kill their officers. This is on the record and were placed before Hasina).
5) Army asked Hasina in what protocol Rehana is attending all the ministerial level meeting and whether she herself is a spy or not???
6) Army wants MUA to extend his tenure for two more years.
In my view India should stay out of it. It is an internal matter of BD. If the Govt of BD/BD Army/BD Inteligence have even the minimum evidence agianst India they should come out in open and blame India for this brutal killings. Otherwise rest is speculation..nothing else.

If you don't mind I am posting it again highlighting the words,HK-47.Good find.:tup:

Some seizures puzzle army

Several Rifles Security Unit men suspected involved in carnage
Kailash Sarkar and Shaheen Mollah

Seizure of various firearms and equipment on BDR Headquarters premises yesterday confused the army personnel and other investigators of the assassination of military officers.

Besides, it is suspected that some members of the Rifles Security Unit (RSU) were also involved in the carnage, sources inform.

The sources say the personnel from various agencies including army, navy and fire service yesterday recovered several grenades, huge number of firearms, ammunition and other equipment including binoculars, walky-talkies and slings of SMGs.

Recovery of two binoculars and the belts of SMGs confuses the army and others investigators as these are used neither by the Bangladesh Army and BDR nor by any other government agencies.

Lt Ashiquzzaman of Bangladesh Navy told The Daily Star navy personnel recovered an LMG, five SMGs, two rifles, one pistol, 30 loaded magazines, and 2,000 bullets.

Other recovered explosives, arms and ammunition include 24 grenades, 16 walky-talkies, several thousand bullets of various guns, huge number of uniforms and shoes of the soldiers and their credit cards.

Earlier, about 10,000 bullets and several firearms and grenades were recovered from the BDR Headquarters. Some other arms and explosives were also recovered from neighbouring areas.

Sources say these arms, ammunition and explosives were left behind by the soldiers.

After recovering the arms and equipment, army officials exhibited those to the media at the hall room of Rifle Paribar Kalyan Samity (Ripoks) and the arsenal of BDR.

They also let journalists observe all the places and recovered arms and ammunition and also answered their queries.

Maj Awal said, "The two binoculars recovered in a search really confused us as these are used by neither the army, BDR and police nor any other government agencies in the country."

He suspects other parties imported these binoculars from outside.

"The SMGs recovered are used by BDR but the belts are not, which is another mystery to us," Maj Awal added.

He also said they recovered some walky-talkies which are used by RSU.

"We suspect some field-level RSU members might have been involved in the carnage and they did not make aware their senior officials,"
Maj Awal said. "If they informed the blueprint of the conspirators, the incident could not have been so brutal."

Sources say a huge number of arms were found under the beds and pillows of the sepoys.

Besides, most of the doors to the arsenal and the office of RSU and all the boxes of the firearms were found broken.

Some of the army officials said they suspect the culprits might have left behind various other materials in the ponds. If the ponds are thoroughly searched it could be helpful in unfolding the mystery, they added.

Apart from this, personnel from the army and fire service dug out huge ashes from a hole at a place in between Ripoks and Darbar Hall.

Maj Awal said the hole was dug out with the suspicion that it was a mass grave but no body was found there.

"But this huge quantity of ashes hidden into the hole confused us,"
he said. "The CID investigation team would probe it whether the culprits have burned something important and later hid those in the hole."

Moreover, another mystery over the presence of two foreign nationals, a female and a male, inside the BDR headquarters was yet to be unfolded.

Witnesses say foreign nationals Tang Yunpeng, 30, and Xang Zhaoua, 28, came out of the BDR Headquarters in the afternoon on February 26.

Sources say the reason behind their stay at the BDR HQ could not be known and they also did not make any comment on the condition during the hostage period.

The Daily Star - Details News

Last edited:
In my view India should stay out of it. It is an internal matter of BD. If the Govt of BD/BD Army/BD Inteligence have even the minimum evidence agianst India they should come out in open and blame India for this brutal killings. Otherwise rest is speculation..nothing else.

India has the reason,so it falls on the suspicion list.

Just like ISI falls on the list for everything happening in India.

Army committee starts probe today
Alerts against rumour
Staff Correspondent

An investigation committee of the army, led by Quarter Master General Lt Gen Mohammad Jahangir Alam Choudhury, will start probing the BDR mutiny at Pilkhana today.

Chief of General Staff of Bangladesh Army Lt Gen Sina Ibn Jamali told a press briefing at the army headquarters last night that the probe body has six to seven members and if necessary more members will be co-opted into the body.

The committee will visit the BDR headquarters today and continue its probe until its investigation ends.

Asked how the BDR mutineers managed to flee their headquarters, he said after investigation it will be clear. He said those BDR jawans who failed to report back will be considered deserters.

Brig Gen Syed Imam Hossain and Brig Gen Mohammad Abdul Hakim were present at the press briefing.

He said those who were involved in the mutiny will be brought to justice fast by the government after they are identified and tracked down. He also said vested quarters are spreading rumours to deteriorate the situation. He called upon all to be alert.

He said the government will form a special tribunal to try the culprits and if required a bill will be passed in parliament in this regard. Legal punitive measures will be taken against the perpetrators.

Asked whether the prime minister's visit and address to army officers will reduce the pent-up anger in the army, Sina said, "Of course, Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina heard of our pain and grief attentively, gave us consolation and courage. She assured us of taking quick action in all matters. We officers are grateful to her."

Replying to a query whether intelligence failed to collect information on the mutiny beforehand, he said the BDR has a very small intelligence unit with only one or two officers and the rest are soldiers who remain scattered across the country.

He also said other intelligence agencies including Directorate General of Forces Intelligence (DGFI) are always busy with state security.

It will be clear after investigation whether the intelligence actually failed.

Replying to a question, he said the mutiny suggests that there is a need for remodelling intelligence agencies, including the DGFI, so that they are more modern and effective.

Lt Gen Sina also said the government has decided, in principal, to change the name Bangladesh Rifles (BDR) and restructure the paramilitary force. "Different names of the force are under consideration."

"We are sure that seven of our officers who were in the BDR headquarters during the mutiny are yet to be traced," said Lt Gen Sina Ibn Jamali.

He said their search and rescue operations are still going on.

However, sources in the army late last night said the figure of missing officers actually stands at six, not seven.

Lt Gen Sina said they have so far retrieved 56 bodies of army officers and their family members. Moreover, three unidentified bodies are waiting DNA tests for identification.

Forty officers survived the mutiny.

The Daily Star - Details News

Back
Top Bottom