What's new

Bangladesh farmer who killed 160,000 rats in one year crowned national champion

Homo Sapiens

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
Bangladesh farmer who killed 160,000 rats in one year crowned national champion - Telegraph

Abdul Khaleq Mirbohor, a farmer, describes his 'love' of killing rodents after submitting 161,220 severed tails to claim his prize

Rat-in-a-Sewer_2242662b.jpg

"I've been killing rats since 1996. I love killing them," said Mr Mirbohor Photo: AFP/Getty Images

By AFP

11:46AM BST 08 Oct 2015

Bangladesh has crowned a new national champion rat killer after his team eradicated more than 160,000 rodents in the past 12 months, officials said on Thursday.

Farmer Abdul Khaleq Mirbohor won 20,000 Bangladeshi taka (£167) at a ceremony in Dhaka on Wednesday for eliminating 161,220 rats in a year as part of a nationwide campaign to stop grain being devoured by rodents.

'I've been killing rats since 1996. I love killing them. They are the enemy of the country and people'
Abdul Khaleq Mirbohor
http://twitter.com/intent/tweet?tex...-champion.html?WT.mc_id=tmgoff_pq_tw_20150423
"Mr Mirbohor is a passionate rat killer. During the ceremony, he told the dignitaries that nothing gives him pleasure [more] than killing grain-eating rodents," Abul Kalam Azad, head of the government's plant protection unit, told AFP.

Mirbohor hired mostly women volunteers to kill the rats in paddy and wheat fields, then submitted the tails of the deceased animals to the regional agriculture office to count them.

"I've been killing rats since 1996. I love killing them. They are the enemy of the country and people. They devour grains, ground nuts and spread diseases," the 55-year-old farmer told AFP.

Government official Borhan Uddin said the farmer was "obsessed" with killing rats. "Fellow villagers called him mad. He is like a Pied Piper of Hamelin," he said.

Rodents destroy 1.5 million to two million tonnes of food in Bangladesh annually, the Ministry of Agriculture estimates.

Farmers in the predominantly agricultural nation have killed nearly 13 million rodents in the last 12 months, saving $25 million of food, officials said.

Bangladesh farmer who killed 160,000 rats in one year crowned national champion - Telegraph

Abdul Khaleq Mirbohor, a farmer, describes his 'love' of killing rodents after submitting 161,220 severed tails to claim his prize

Rat-in-a-Sewer_2242662b.jpg

"I've been killing rats since 1996. I love killing them," said Mr Mirbohor Photo: AFP/Getty Images

By AFP

11:46AM BST 08 Oct 2015

Bangladesh has crowned a new national champion rat killer after his team eradicated more than 160,000 rodents in the past 12 months, officials said on Thursday.

Farmer Abdul Khaleq Mirbohor won 20,000 Bangladeshi taka (£167) at a ceremony in Dhaka on Wednesday for eliminating 161,220 rats in a year as part of a nationwide campaign to stop grain being devoured by rodents.

'I've been killing rats since 1996. I love killing them. They are the enemy of the country and people'
Abdul Khaleq Mirbohor
"Mr Mirbohor is a passionate rat killer. During the ceremony, he told the dignitaries that nothing gives him pleasure [more] than killing grain-eating rodents," Abul Kalam Azad, head of the government's plant protection unit, told AFP.

Mirbohor hired mostly women volunteers to kill the rats in paddy and wheat fields, then submitted the tails of the deceased animals to the regional agriculture office to count them.

"I've been killing rats since 1996. I love killing them. They are the enemy of the country and people. They devour grains, ground nuts and spread diseases," the 55-year-old farmer told AFP.

Government official Borhan Uddin said the farmer was "obsessed" with killing rats. "Fellow villagers called him mad. He is like a Pied Piper of Hamelin," he said.

Rodents destroy 1.5 million to two million tonnes of food in Bangladesh annually, the Ministry of Agriculture estimates.

Farmers in the predominantly agricultural nation have killed nearly 13 million rodents in the last 12 months, saving $25 million of food, officials said.

Export them to Bihar...

Last edited:
Yes, they are defending their country against field rats and showing their highest standard of bravery...that's the best that little-known small impoverish nation can do. :)

why so butt hurt??!!

At least we are "little known",and an Nation of an Independent country.You W.B's are nothing more than some vikhari of the central government.Let alone known.:rolleyes::lol:

তোমার মতামত কেও জিজ্ঞাস করসে বইলা তো মনে পড়তাসে না!! কেন্দ্র সরকারের ভিক্ষায় যাদের রাজ্য চলে,তাদের মুখে এতো বড় বড় কথা মানায় না।নিজে নিজে সব থ্রেডে আইসা দুর্গন্ধ ছড়ানো ছাড়া তোমার আর কোনো কাজ আছে বইলাও মনে হয়না!গেট এ লাইফ ড্যুড!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Bangladesh Defence forum. Seriously!!!
well,if we start digging in that sense we will find more " un- defense forum-is " threads in Indian section too,seriously!! So find some of them and post same reaction there.Thank you.

I don't know why Inndian members (Hindu) not protesting it because Hindu people thing rats are Karni Mata's son and even worship them why not like cows their killings does't protested
Karni Mata Temple
Karni Mata Temple (Hindi: करणी माता मंदिर) is a famous Hindu temple dedicated to Karni Mata at Deshnoke, 30 km from Bikaner, inRajasthan, India. It is also known as the Temple of Rats.

The temple is famous for the approximately 20,000 black rats that live, and are revered in, the temple.[1] These holy rats are called kabbas, and many people travel great distances to pay their respects. The temple draws visitors from across the country for blessings, as well as curious tourists from around the world.
The legend[edit]
Legend has it that Laxman, Karni Mata's stepson (or the son of one of her storytellers), drowned in a pond in Kapil Sarovar inKolayat Tehsil while he was attempting to drink from it. Karni Mata implored Yama, the god of death, to revive him. First refusing, Yama eventually relented, permitting Laxman and all of Karni mata's male children to be reincarnated as rats.[2]

The story behind rats at the temple is different according to some local folklore. According to this version, a 20,000 strong army deserted a nearby battle and came running to Deshnoke. Upon learning of the sin of desertion, punishable by death, Karni Mata spared their lives but turned them into rats, and offered the temple as a future place to stay. The army of soldiers expressed their gratitude and promised to serve Karni Mata evermore.

Eating food that has been nibbled on by the rats is considered to be a "high honor".[1] If one of them is killed, it must be replaced with one made of solid gold.
Worship and fair[edit]
Worship[edit]
The temple is thrown open to the public early in the morning at 4.00 a.m. Charan priests perform Mangla-Ki-Aarti and offer bhog (special food) in worship. Devotees make offerings to the rats, which roam about the temple in large numbers and are considered auspicious. There are two kinds of offerings made: the 'dwar-bhent' is attributed to the priests and the workers, while the 'kalash-bhent' is utilised for the temple maintenance and development.

Karni Mata Fair[edit]
Karni Mata Fair is held twice a year at Deshnok:

• The first and larger fair is held in March–April during the Navratras from Chaitra Shukla Ekam to Chaitra Shukla Dashmi.
  • The second fair is held in September–October, also during the Navratras, from Ashvin Shukla to Ashwin Shukla Dashmi.
During Navratri thousands of people travel to the temple by foot.
Karni Mata Temple - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

why so butt hurt??!!

At least we are "little known",and an Nation of an Independent country.You W.B's are nothing more than some vikhari of the central government.Let alone known.:rolleyes::lol:

তোমার মতামত কেও জিজ্ঞাস করসে বইলা তো মনে পড়তাসে না!! কেন্দ্র সরকারের ভিক্ষায় যাদের রাজ্য চলে,তাদের মুখে এতো বড় বড় কথা মানায় না।নিজে নিজে সব থ্রেডে আইসা দুর্গন্ধ ছড়ানো ছাড়া তোমার আর কোনো কাজ আছে বইলাও মনে হয়না!গেট এ লাইফ ড্যুড!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

well,if we start digging in that sense we will find more " un- defense forum-is " threads in Indian section too,seriously!! So find some of them and post same reaction there.Thank you.
Go and check yourself. And tell us how many nonsensical threads like this are running in Indian defense section and then come back. I wouldn't have commented at all in this ridiculous section if not your countrymen came up with filthy remarks about my country.
Indian Defence Forum

Go and check yourself. And tell us how many nonsensical threads like this are running in Indian defense section and then come back. I wouldn't have commented at all in this ridiculous section if not your countrymen came up with filthy remarks about my country.
Indian Defence Forum
yeah,I have seen that comments.but I don't see the point why you people have to respond to every retorts/comments.Some time it is better to ignore,it saves our valuable time.Some one trashing about you, doesn't mean you have become any less.
Personally I always ignores these threads,where a shit war is going on.And I am in this forum for a long time.I have seen plenty of these threads in different sections. As I said ignore,it's our replies and shit throwing at each other which keeps these threads running.And this cycle goes on.Ignore them,and they goes down the same drain,where shits goes.

Peace.

Last edited:
why so butt hurt??!!

Avoid comments like the above from your compatriots, and no Indian would bother about the untimely death of Bangladeshi rats.

This 160,000 rats would solve India's hunger crisis

Send it to your higher-deeper friend's country, it's a delicacy there. :)

Avoid comments like the above from your compatriots, and no Indian would bother about the untimely death of Bangladeshi rats.

yeah yeah,it's like rainman is "দুধে ধোয়া তুলসি পাতা". He never shits,he never started a shit war in BD section or derailed threads ever,never fanned a troll war.Drowning yourself in shits wars,throwing shits at others won't make you more Indian.So get off your high horse dude.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom