What's new

Bangladesh estimates 7.65 percent economic growth for this fiscal year, fastest on record

Well it depends on the person/family - and not from the Bangladeshis that I myself know, definitely. :-)

If lower income Bangladeshis are saving up to buy property back home in Dhaka, then maybe. But that still is a long shot. It is not in the nature of Bangladeshis (or Pakistanis of course) to be as kanjoos as some people in India.

I personally saw some Bangladeshi taxi-drivers/owners in NYC going to music concerts en-famille and the tickets are easily over a couple of hundred per person (about a thousand per event).

Some people go to Makkah to perform Umrah every other year almost - that's not cheap either.

Educated Bangladeshis invite friends to their houses and have lavish catered parties almost every other month (for any odd reason). Nothing 'kanjoosi' there for sure as each event will cost north of $5000 each time. Lavish Birthdays will cost double that sometimes.

I have been to Shaadis that cost over 300 dollars a plate and there were 500 people invited. Now you do the math. And that's just the food.

Most Bangladeshis I know live in houses in the West coast valued at more than a Million - double that if you consider San Francisco. And I'm talking about the average working professional with some education.

In fact - I believe locals (meaning Caucasian Americans) are more kanjoos than us that I have personally seen. :lol:

LOL... well i used to party a lot and go to pubs and restaurant.. So probably I was mingling with the different group. To be honest we could not keep up with white caucasians as they had access to better funds. Indians were party geek too. Most BD students struggled to manage tuition fees let alone going to pubs. Bangladeshis almost entirely avoid staying in the dorm including me due to high prices for food.

Recently I met a guy from Madras and he was in favor of cooking at home to save money. He said he is a civil engineer and at Madras if he cook at home and share a room he covers entire month cost within 3-3.5k rupee. So you can easily understand their condition.

Lol bds talking about condition of tamils... All your pathetic lives combined could never achive half the success that tamil community achieved with less than half of your population. TN state has a gsdp per capita of more than 2500$. Some one making 800$ less has the audacity to talk about life style of Tamils is plain laughable.

Lol bds talking about condition of tamils... All your pathetic lives combined could never achive half the success that tamil community achieved with less than half of your population. TN state has a gsdp per capita of more than 2500$. Some one making 800$ less has the audacity to talk about life style of Tamils is plain laughable.

BD started independence in 1971 dude.
Tamil Nadu though is being held back by India.

Coastal states always gets benefited with the expense of hinterland. For instance UP does all the import and export through Bombay or Madras which adds GDP to TN and Maharashtra. Besides a businessman will always has a preference to setup their factory or service center which has access to sea. All those adds up to the GDP of coastal states. It does not mean they are any better than UP or Bihar. Just cut off UP/Bihar and other land locked states from TN and see how much GDP it gets deducted from the total GDP of TN.

BD made really good progress over years which has to be appreciated. But, Some of the condescending comments by your fellow countrymen is just cheap.

LOL... well i used to party a lot and go to pubs and restaurant.. So probably I was mingling with the different group. To be honest we could not keep up with white caucasians as they had access to better funds. Indians were party geek too. Most BD students struggled to manage tuition fees let alone going to pubs. Bangladeshis almost entirely avoid staying in the dorm including me due to high prices for food.

Bhai I'm talking about Bangladeshi folks established locally with high-paying careers (lawyers, doctors) or folks who own businesses. They aren't really wanting for cash...:-)

And its not really about how much you earn. It's the mentality.

I've seen Bhartis with mansions and Bentleys in the driveway behaving like kanjoos-es a lot of times. Old habits die hard. What a waste of life - trying to be so miserly all the damn time....:disagree:

BD made really good progress over years which has to be appreciated. But, Some of the condescending comments by your fellow countrymen is just cheap.

A lot of folks in India _ARE_ special kanjoos cases (meaning CHEAP with a capital 'C') compared to a majority of the people in either Bangladesh or Pakistan. Not generalizing but it is what it is.

Kehne mein kya harj hai??

How is this condescending?

It is a butt of jokes - just like Lungi or Hilsa is for us.

Coastal states always gets benefited with the expense of hinterland. For instance UP does all the import and export through Bombay or Madras which adds GDP to TN and Maharashtra. Besides a businessman will always has a preference to setup their factory or service center which has access to sea. All those adds up to the GDP of coastal states. It does not mean they are any better than UP or Bihar. Just cut off UP/Bihar and other land locked states from TN and see how much GDP it gets deducted from the total GDP of TN.
That also shows the sad state of West Bengal. Kolkata is both the capital and port city unlike Bangladesh where Dhaka is the capital and Chittagong (forgot, my bad, Chattogram) is the port city. West Bengal has other states like the NE ones relying on them for import and export and WB didn't get everything ruined in 1971 and look at their sorry state now.

While South Indian states and west state Maharashtra thrived from their poor state back after independence, West Bengal become less and less relevant and now of complete irrelevance. They are one of the poorer than average Indian states while Bangladesh, with all it's caveats and setbacks of war and military rule outpaced them and now leaving them in the dust like the south and west India did.

How bad do you have to govern a state to have all the advantage of being coastline state, no war and all the other advantages and still managing to become irrelevant and remain poor. Or does it have to do with Delhi? Or maybe both?

A lot of folks in India _ARE_ special kanjoos cases (meaning CHEAP with a capital 'C') compared to a majority of the people in either Bangladesh or Pakistan. Not generalizing but it is what it is.

That's an interesting comment. I partially agree with this although, to me, its actually a good practice under some context. Indians usually have a business-oriented/entrepreneurial mindset, from what I have seen from my stay abroad. IDK but prolly they like to save up money to invest back home, build up assets, create a healthy secondary income source etc.? I may be wrong, anyone can feel free to correct me.

Congratulations to Bangladesh! It is exciting to see it grow so rapidly. The nation must be doing something right, or a lot of things right since it has the most stable growth in South Asia.

I am looking forward in seeing industrial and infrastructure developments in Bangladesh in the coming years.

Out of necessity Bangladesh would have to build whole new cities to accommodate new technologies, population, city design, and industries outside of existing mega cities like Dhaka. I think Purbachal smart city does just that, hope that in the coming years we get a glimpse of Bangladesh of the 21st century.

Congratulations to Bangladesh! It is exciting to see it grow so rapidly. The nation must be doing something right, or a lot of things right since it has the most stable growth in South Asia.

I am looking forward in seeing industrial and infrastructure developments in Bangladesh in the coming years.

Out of necessity Bangladesh would have to build whole new cities to accommodate new technologies, population, city design, and industries outside of existing mega cities like Dhaka. I think Purbachal smart city does just that, hope that in the coming years we get a glimpse of Bangladesh of the 21st century.

And we greatly appreciate Chinese assistance and partnership in doing so. :)

Well this sort of 'kanjoosi' is somehow seen as a great trait in India. I personally could never get used to always being a 'kanjoos' like this.

I used to visit India back in the day and they have these micro-mini shopping bags to get half a kilo of this, quarter kilo of that....I have never seen this in Bangladesh. :partay:

Watching Bangladeshis cook-up stories about their lavish lifestyles and spending is so damn funny.

It must be a form of escapism as the reality is quite grim @Nilgiri :lol:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ethnic_groups_in_the_United_States_by_household_income

:rofl: You are backtracking from your earlier claims ? Earlier it you said that Southern states benefitted from being in the Union.

West Bengal become less and less relevant and now of complete irrelevance. They are one of the poorer than average Indian states while Bangladesh, with all it's caveats and setbacks of war and military rule outpaced them and now leaving them in the dust

Outpaced how ? WB is ahead even in nominal GDP per capita, let alone PPP.

An LDC which have 'too little productive capabilities to diversify' (quoting Harvard CID) is hardly outpacing anyone.

For instance UP does all the import and export through Bombay or Madras
Just cut off UP/Bihar and other land locked states from TN

Incredibly stupid, but what else to expect from the 'nuke bomb in 5 years' guy ?

Look up the map of India, there are a no landlocked states in the South except for Telegana (a part of Andhra until recently)

Neither is there a need for UP to import or export anything through TN, 2000 km away when there are larger ports nearby.

which adds GDP to TN and Maharashtra
see how much GDP it gets deducted from the total GDP of TN.

Net imports get added to GDP. And our net imports are negative.

BTW even though TN have less than half the population of BD, the state have an industry as large as Bangladesh & far more diversified....

So keep that BS to yourself.

TN state has a gsdp per capita of more than 2500$. Some one making 800$ less has the audacity to talk about life style of Tamils is plain laughable.

It's well over $3000...by PPP it's more than 2.5 times bigger than their per capital GDP.

And Bangladeshis spend 53% of their meagre income on food & end up consuming worst quality food consumed by anyone the region.Thanks @Nilgiri

% spent on food of household expenditure:

Bangladesh = 54%
India = 31%

Non starch intake:

BD = 20%
India = 41%

Quality Protein intake:

BD = 31 g
Ind = 39 g

http://foodsecurityindex.eiu.com/Country/Details#Bangladesh
http://foodsecurityindex.eiu.com/Country/Details#India

We can guess how much they can spend on anything... It would be meagre at the best let alone lavish.

So they need to come up with stories like this to make them feel better. As I said earlier, it's a form of escapism. :lol:

Last edited:
That also shows the sad state of West Bengal. Kolkata is both the capital and port city unlike Bangladesh where Dhaka is the capital and Chittagong (forgot, my bad, Chattogram) is the port city. West Bengal has other states like the NE ones relying on them for import and export and WB didn't get everything ruined in 1971 and look at their sorry state now.

While South Indian states and west state Maharashtra thrived from their poor state back after independence, West Bengal become less and less relevant and now of complete irrelevance. They are one of the poorer than average Indian states while Bangladesh, with all it's caveats and setbacks of war and military rule outpaced them and now leaving them in the dust like the south and west India did.

How bad do you have to govern a state to have all the advantage of being coastline state, no war and all the other advantages and still managing to become irrelevant and remain poor. Or does it have to do with Delhi? Or maybe both?

Combination of anti-corporate, anti-industry (I know -strange!) communist mentality and living on one thing - trade with Bangladesh. If Bangladesh stopped trading goods and items with India, their economy would basically collapse.

Combination of anti-corporate, anti-industry (I know -strange!) communist mentality and living on one thing - trade with Bangladesh. If Bangladesh stopped trading goods and items with India, their economy would basically collapse.
Anti corporate and anti industry! What a great mentality they have. What exactly is their vision for improving their economy then? No wonder they haven't improved much and BD is leaving them in the dust even with all the problems BD had to face.

Another brainfart. The bilateral trade of $7 billion is nothing even for WB. :lol:

Really?
WB exports are only 6.5 US billion dollars.
WB economy would be destroyed if BD stopped trading with it. As BD mainly imports from India, it can easily replace imports from WB, albeit more expensive.
WB and the whole of NE are BD satellite economies.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom