DSC01447.jpg

Ridge Casablanca,Gulshan

DSC01472.jpg

SPL Digonto,Paribagh

exterior0082.jpg

swimming_master_render_camdstill020.jpg

reception.jpg

Dhaka Chittagong 4 Lane Highway Project Animation.wmv [/B]

Dhaka-Chittagong 4-lane highway project design is very good. I liked the rainwater drainage system. However, a few elements may be lacking in it.

1) There is no provision of curb(stones) along the longitudinal edges.

2) There seems to have no provision of 'Parking Areas' at, say, each 25 km of the length with food stalls.

3) There is also no provision of temporary/emergency parkings at, say, each 2 or 3 km at the left of the road.

I hope the culverts will be high enough to facilitate the passage of boats during rainy seasons. i also wonder how the usual rickshaw, bullock carts, human will pass over this highway. Can someone say if there will be a separate road for these?

But, thanks anyway for posting such a video. I am now very expectant that the Deshi road design engineers will learn from the design of this highway and apply it to other road projects.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dhaka-Chittagong 4-lane highway project design is very good. I liked the rainwater drainage system. However, a few elements may be lacking in it.

1) There is no provision of curb(stones) along the longitudinal edges.

2) There seems to have no provision of 'Parking Areas' at, say, each 25 km of the length with food stalls.

3) There is also no provision of temporary/emergency parkings at, say, each 2 or 3 km at the left of the road.

I hope the culverts will be high enough to facilitate the passage of boats during rainy seasons. i also wonder how the usual rickshaw, bullock carts, human will pass over this highway. Can someone say if there will be a separate road for these?

But, thanks anyway for posting such a video. I am now very expectant that the Deshi road design engineers will learn from the design of this highway and apply it to other road projects.

The other day I had the pleasure of hearing some conceptual proposals from
the reknowned professor Eng. Bosunia, I hope you know his name,
because of your profession.

The proposal was to make a flyover expressway from Chittagong to Dhaka
which shall cost around 78cr per km, the present being 65 crores including
land requisition(the hardest and the most time consuming part).

That way it can be made to support future lanes vertically such as high speed transport,
all in all using local tech. Well he said he had positive feedback from ministry levels
but I hope future cabinets seriously give this Idea a roll.
It'll take 60% less time, than the current ongoing project.

the reknowned professor Eng. Basunia, I hope you know his name,

That way it can be made to support future lanes vertically such as high speed transport,
all in all using local tech. Well he said he had positive feedback from ministry levels

The daunting challenge of our highways are the pedestrians and slow moving vehicle. You cant overcome this problem with surface roads as most people tend to build structure by the road as well as local bazars etc. Elevated expressways are the way to go. I am heartened by the budget proposal of Bosunia. If it were 79 crore per km then govt should seriously consider to make all the highways to 4 lane elevated in the country leaving the existing highways for local use.

the reknowned professor Eng. Bosunia, I hope you know his name,

I live in a foreign country and have a very little opportunity to know many personalities and academicians in the country. You may write something about Eng. Basunia to me in person with his email address, if you like. I guess he is a highly experienced civil/structural engineer. He is correct about the necessity of an elevated expressway. In fact, this will be the norm of tomorrow's Bangladesh.

However, an overhead/raised expressway also needs land acquisition. I guess, it will be built with either a steel I-girder or in a steel/concrete composite I-girder system. However, only a part of the expressway should be built on overhead structures and most of it on (quite highly) elevated ground. In order to avoid spreading out of soil at the two edges and thus requiring more land, small, say, of 1.5 m high concrete retaining walls may be built along longitudinal direction.

In reality, a raised earthwork is less expensive than building elevated RCC structures. Whatever it may be, a raised/overhead expressway is necessary in order to avoid the passage of pedestrians and bullock carts as has been pointed out by Iajdani. A tolled expressway is always fenced.

I believe, the present expansion of Dhaka-Chittagong highway will not suffice within the next 3 or 5 years. In fact, only one road is not enough in even a semi-developed country. Govt will have to build another highway, this time what Eng. Basunia has proposed, a tolled elevated expressway.

I live in a foreign country and have a very little opportunity to know many personalities and academicians in the country. You may write something about Eng. Basunia to me in person with his email address, if you like. I guess he is a highly experienced civil/structural engineer. He is correct about the necessity of an elevated expressway. In fact, this will be the norm of tomorrow's Bangladesh.

He is known as Dr M Shamim Z Bosunia (ex-faculty BUET), one of the earliest professors
in Civil Engineering Discipline. I'll let you know his mail address if I find one. Even at his age of 70
he's currently one of the busiest working man in his profession (quite expensive though :lol:)

India, Bangladesh start joint study to boost border trade

Agartala, June 9 — Senior officials from India and Bangladesh Saturday started a five-day joint study to examine facilities and infrastructure along the border and suggest measures to boost cross-border trade.

"We will study the available facilities and infrastructure, and what more is needed to boost India-Bangladesh trade and business," Foreign Trade Director (South Asian, SAARC countries and Iran) Indira Murthy told reporters here.

"Under the ASIDE (Assistance to States for Development of Export Infrastructure and Allied Activities) scheme, LCS (land customs stations) and other infrastructure can be developed to accelerate cross-border trade and business," said Murthy, who is leading the five-member Indian team.

Ten senior officials from the external affairs and commerce ministries and customs department of the two countries will till June 13 to examine infrastructure along both sides of the border before holding a meeting with Tripura officials and ministers.

Bangladesh's senior commerce ministry official B. Shyam said: "Our government is keen to step up trade and business with India, especially with the northeastern states. To support the trade and business, the Bangladesh government is ready to improve its existing infrastructure along the border with India."

The officials of India and Bangladesh would soon conduct similar studies along the international borders with Assam, Meghalaya and Mizoram.

India's High Commissioner to Bangladesh Pankaj Saran had earlier this week made a four-day tour of Meghalaya and Tripura to study the border projects agreed between India and Bangladesh.

The Tripura government had last year sent proposals to the central government for setting up seven border haats (markets). But New Delhi and Dhaka have approved four such border markets after mutual consultation.

The haats would be set up in Raghna and Kamalpur in northern Tripura, Kasba in western Tripura and Srinagar in southern Tripura.

A border haat is already functioning along the India-Bangladesh border in Meghalaya since last year.

"If the existing border infrastructure is upgraded, the volume of trade and business between Bangladesh and the northeastern states of India would increased five to six times," Tripura's Commerce and Industries Minister Jitendra Chaudhury said.

"The haats will be allowed to sell local agricultural and horticultural products, spices, minor forest products (excluding timber), fresh and dry fish, dairy and poultry products, cottage industry items, wooden furniture, handloom and handicraft items," a senior Tripura government official, who did want to be named, told IANS.

He said trading in these markets would be held once or twice a week, and a spending cap of $50 would be imposed per head.

No local tax would be imposed on the trading, and both Indian and Bangladeshi currencies would be accepted, the official said.

"Trade between Bangladesh and Tripura alone has increased from Rs.4 crore in 1996 to Rs.258 crore in the last financial year. During the current fiscal (2011-12) up to December (last year), the trade increased to Rs.232 crore and is expected to cross Rs.300 crore by March-end," he said.

India, Bangladesh start joint study to boost border trade - NY Daily News

Back
Top Bottom