What's new

Bangladesh Economy: News & Updates

hindu coal is inferior !

What are you talking about? It is not Hindu coal, it is Indian coal that has 20 to 40% of sulphur as well as other harmful substances. Indian coal has already creating problem in BD. The brick fields use this inferior coal. Co2, CO, NOx and many other toxic materials are emitted by the low quality Indian coal. These emissions are harming the Himalaya. There are three groups of glacier throughout the world. Arctic, Antarctic and Himalaya. India's use of low quality coal is helping the Himalayan glaciers to melt down. China is also responsible for this ecology harm.

BD should stop the practice of importing Assam coal when coal is imported for Rampal.

It is a trade off between low cost production with higher pollution and high cost of production with relatively lower pollution. Either you produce cheap and make electricity available at low rates to users, or you use highest quality coal and produce electricity that will either be sold at subsidized rates (read loss) or electricity bills will go up. take your decision.

That's understandable, anything that comes out of india is of low quality.

Post reported

upload_2016-9-6_16-42-36.jpeg

But that can't be done on a larger scale.....We have many such plants but they are smaller and less efficient. In short, that can't be alternative to this.
a project like that has been setup in 1988... it produces 23 megawatt... enough to power homes in that area. and it has been seen as quite efficient. even german scientist have researched on it and was it not for the drive towards renewable energy... i bet germany would have adopted it

Since India holds 50% ownership of the power plant, they are fearing that coal may be imported from India.
50% owned means 50% profitability will be shared... whatever keeps the plants profitable would be good for India companies.......

For tall building managing lateral force is far more critical than vertical force.
When even a direct vertical load cannot be sustained by the soil-pile system how do you expect a large sway either by earthquake or wind can be sustained? Do you understand that the swaying will cause not only the superstructure to DEFLECT, it will also put a very large pressure on the piles at the other side of the structure during the process.

I calculated on the basis of only Dead Load and did not even consider vertical Live Loads on each of the floors. Do you remember there was a big generator on top Rana Plaza that caused the collapse of the structure. This imposed generator load and others like this is called Live Load. Then there is Lateral Loads due to earthquake and wind blowing.

If a structure is not even sustained by only the vertical dead load, how do you expect a miracle with a large lateral load? Lateral load is too large because, simply speaking. it is calculated by multiplying the surface area of one side with the velocity of wind. In case of a 142 storied building the lateral pressure will be too large, it seems. The steel structure may be built strong with steel structure, but the heavy vertical pressure caused by the lateral force cannot probably sustained by the piles in a week soil without a bedrock underneath.

900,000 sq.m in my previous post is just more than 22 Acres. Do not you think it is too large for that KPC project? It is just over 1/3rd of the entire area of 60 Acres. How do you think a Stadium will be built there when KPC takes away 22 Acres of land?

@TopCat read all the statements and references. You are giving me data which is older. Anyways, it was not even the point.

Why dont you give me data of 1988 , a big zero?

Don't give me staistically insignificant data. This is the classical case of Berkson Bias.

Post when you have some sensible and current information and can get a p value less than 0.05. Now go figure.

@TopCat read all the statements and references. You are giving me data which is older. Anyways, it was not even the point.

Why dont you give me data of 1988 , a big zero?

Don't give me staistically insignificant data. This is the classical case of Berkson Bias.

Post when you have some sensible and current information and can get a p value less than 0.05. Now go figure.

You were given hard rock data. Do your own calculation.
Thats the data of exact number. No fuss nothing. If you cant digest it then its your problem.
The data is given 1998 till 2008. Thats not enough? Current data should be even better because of HIV medicine.

You were given hard rock data. Do your own calculation.
Thats the data of exact number. No fuss nothing. If you cant digest it then its your problem.
The data is given 1998 till 2008. Thats not enough? Current data should be even better because of HIV medicine.

Actually, I owe you an apology.

Please accept my apology as you are right but not on the data. I just accessed the most current report for prevalence in Bangladesh, it is less than 0.1% indeed and for Nepal 0.5%.

My apologies once again.

@Nilgiri I was wrong, @TopCat is right and so were you. <0.1% prevalence is the latest data as per 2015 data which I accessed for Bangladesh.

But the question directed @kobiraaz still remains unanswered, which was my original query.

When even a direct vertical load cannot be sustained by the soil-pile system how do you expect a large sway either by earthquake or wind can be sustained? Do you understand that the swaying will cause not only the superstructure to DEFLECT, it will also put a very large pressure on the piles at the other side of the structure during the process.

I calculated on the basis of only Dead Load and did not even consider vertical Live Loads on each of the floors. Do you remember there was a big generator on top Rana Plaza that caused the collapse of the structure. This imposed generator load and others like this is called Live Load. Then there is Lateral Loads due to earthquake and wind blowing.

If a structure is not even sustained by only the vertical dead load, how do you expect a miracle with a large lateral load? Lateral load is too large because, simply speaking. it is calculated by multiplying the surface area of one side with the velocity of wind. In case of a 142 storied building the lateral pressure will be too large, it seems. The steel structure may be built strong with steel structure, but the heavy vertical pressure caused by the lateral force cannot probably sustained by the piles in a week soil without a bedrock underneath.

900,000 sq.m in my previous post is just more than 22 Acres. Do not you think it is too large for that KPC project? It is just over 1/3rd of the entire area of 60 Acres. How do you think a Stadium will be built there when KPC takes away 22 Acres of land?

Well KPC will build the stadium as well. Total land given to KPC is 60 acre out of 100 acre they demanded. KPC could only justify 60 acre for the project.

Regarding the force calculation, you are too simplistic. As I am not a civil engineer my knowledge on soil is very shallow. So what you are saying about the dead weight is probably correct but the weight will be far less when they build it with steel instead of concrete. Concrete does not have tensile and sheer strength (which is achieved by rods inside turning to RCC) so it requires a lot of material which increases the load. Steel can take both compressive and tensile load.

The lateral force is important as for that tall building will generate huge torque at the base right above the ground where the structure will require huge tensile strength otherwise building will just crack and break down like trees instead of going underground vertically.

Anyways let's leave it to the engineers who are expert in tall buildings. I just gave you whatever my little knowledge I gained from mechanical engineering.

HMO makes all high rises in todays world... they are the pioneers of modern highrises... hell even fazlur khan worked for them... i feel something shady is going on... i dont think this company has the experience, manpower and expertise to do it.

Well KPC will build the stadium as well. Total land given to KPC is 60 acre out of 100 acre they demanded. KPC could only justify 60 acre for the project.

Regarding the force calculation, you are too simplistic. As I am not a civil engineer my knowledge on soil is very shallow. So what you are saying about the dead weight is probably correct but the weight will be far less when they build it with steel instead of concrete. Concrete does not have tensile and sheer strength (which is achieved by rods inside turning to RCC) so it requires a lot of material which increases the load. Steel can take both compressive and tensile load.

The lateral force is important as for that tall building will generate huge torque at the base right above the ground where the structure will require huge tensile strength otherwise building will just crack and break down like trees instead of going underground vertically.

Anyways let's leave it to the engineers who are expert in tall buildings. I just gave you whatever my little knowledge I gained from mechanical engineering.

you are talking either steel or concrete or RCC. But, this type of structure is designed and constructed as SRC or Steel Reinforced Concrete. The steel frame components such as beam and column are strengthened by poring concrete (RCC) around these. It is a composition of steel with shape like I or H, and RCC. It is called SRC.

Did I say lateral force is not important? Read my posts. I only said when even a vertical dead load cannot be withstood how it is possible to withstand the lateral force? You have to understand a lateral force when acts on a vertical frame it creates also a downward pressure on the other side of the frame. Design engineers calculate this downward pressure to know the actual (temporary) pressure on the piles or soil.

Another point, it is not that concrete has no shearing strength. It has and it is about 6.0 kg/cm2. Concrete has a large compression strength and steel has a very large tensile strength.

you are talking either steel or concrete or RCC. But, this type of structure is designed and constructed as SRC or Steel Reinforced Concrete. The steel frame components such as beam and column are strengthened by poring concrete (RCC) around these. It is a composition of steel with shape like I or H, and RCC. It is called SRC.

Did I say lateral force is not important? Read my posts. I only said when even a vertical dead load cannot be withstood how it is possible to withstand the lateral force? You have to understand a lateral force when acts on a vertical frame it creates also a downward pressure on the other side of the frame. Design engineers calculate this downward pressure to know the actual (temporary) pressure on the piles or soil.

Another point, it is not that concrete has no shearing strength. It has and it is about 6.0 kg/cm2. Concrete has a large compression strength and steel has a very large tensile strength.

Don't forget that you also have to drive piling all the way down to base rock. I don't know how deep the base-rock is in that area but could be hundreds of feet like the rest of Bangladesh. This could be quite expensive as well.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom