What's new

Bangladesh Economic & Infrastructure Development - Updates & Discussions

Yeah I forgot about the weird fiscal year you lot have.

Guess 43 billion for the next one. All the seasonal swings get dampened out over last 6 or so years to give 2 bn/year increase for BD....but lets see.
Maybe by next year they'll find an Intel like formula where they double their GDP every year (on paper). 41x2=82, 82x2= so on and on

Driving through good, old Motijheel areas.

Construction works to widen the airport road is undergoing. Besides construction works of elevated expressway can be seen on the right side of the road.

Last edited:
The difference is most Chinese companies belong to the Chinese government. Chinese government owes money to Chinese government owned companies and factories, it's like your left pocket owes money to your right pocket.

I would respectfully disagree. Let's say an company like Flextronics which has around 15 plants in China. Its yearly revenue is more than 100B. And around 60-70B is from Chinese plants alone. To whom the money belongs to the first place? I can say its competitors like Fox, Sanmina etc too has many plants with Japanese companies now having plants in China and exporting to Japan to the tune of 350B dollars per year. Again automotive companies are in a JV, so technically speaking some half of money belongs to them.

The suppliers who work for these companies get work cos these companies operate in China. The same Sanmina/Flex plants in India use local suppliers. Speaking of which China has its own govt comapnies like Huawei, ZTE, banks, construction companies etc which are a significant source of money. But technically most of China's reserves belong to foreign companies which sees benefit in parking its dollars inside China.

Yup, if Indonesia ever invest in Bangladesh it should be to penetrate Bangladesh market, not using Bangladesh as a base production since in Indonesia our labor is also relatively cheap. Indonesia can invest in noodle production like Indofood investment in Turkey (under a brand of Indomie), or tire production, lubricant factory just like Pertamina did it in China, railway coaches and shipbuilding as you mentioned already, Cement, even electronics like led TV (under a brand of Polytron) or telecommunication and infrastructure like Salim Group investment in Philippine.

But what I really like the most is excavator from Pindad. I hope this product can start competing globally.

004609800_1525928086-Excavator_Pindad.jpg

And electric motor cycle Gesits

2397393533.jpg
Is TVS famous in Indonesia. Heard there is a factory in there.....

No one is saying Indonesia is a bad economy. But I'd rather have our SEZ;s given to Germans, Japanese, Koreans etc over Indonesians .

The point is FDI inflow to BD sucks....it does not have to go to Vietnam level but it surely needs to improve a lot.
BD should try to be a mix of consumer driven and export driven economy.

Needs to improve its airport first. Or promote another depopulated city for investment and summits. Dhaka is overpopulated and if its the place every foreign dignitary comes for, I feel investment would be impossible to come in, except for sweatshops.

I would respectfully disagree. Let's say an company like Flextronics which has around 15 plants in China. Its yearly revenue is more than 100B. And around 60-70B is from Chinese plants alone. To whom the money belongs to the first place? I can say its competitors like Fox, Sanmina etc too has many plants with Japanese companies now having plants in China and exporting to Japan to the tune of 350B dollars per year. Again automotive companies are in a JV, so technically speaking some half of money belongs to them.

The suppliers who work for these companies get work cos these companies operate in China. The same Sanmina/Flex plants in India use local suppliers. Speaking of which China has its own govt comapnies like Huawei, ZTE, banks, construction companies etc which are a significant source of money. But technically most of China's reserves belong to foreign companies which sees benefit in parking its dollars inside China.

Honestly it can all be checked by simple capital flow analysis (stratified however you want to)...but lot of posters do not even understand what that is. They would rather just quote coz XYZ "owns" X or Y% of the asset, that % is "flowing" out of the country....and worse they think that is some ratio of GDP (actual production).

They are complete economy illiterates that I try to avoid any discussion with....the steepness of the logic curve is too much for them.

Last edited:
Needs to improve its airport first. Or promote another depopulated city for investment and summits. Dhaka is overpopulated and if its the place every foreign dignitary comes for, I feel investment would be impossible to come in, except for sweatshops.
There is a plan to build a new airport in Dhaka. Due to the current airport in Dhaka there are restrictions on high-rise buildings in important places in Dhaka. So real estate companies are lobbying to take the international airport somewhere else for a long time. But who knows how long will it take.

Dhaka is overpopulated. But with updated infrastructures it can be managed. Dhaka isn't much more overpopulated compared to let's say Mumbai. Density in Dhaka is like 40,000/sqkm while in Mumbai 32,000/sqkm. With proper infrastructures, transportation and housing system situation in Dhaka can be improved. There are steps being taken for that. Again the problem is who knows how long will it take. We should have built a metro rail in Dhaka back in the 80's. But we are just doing it now.

Because you dont read newspaper or know details of the SEZ. I suggest you to try a plot in one of the SEZ and see the availability.
Just post us your finding here.
So, tell me about the FDIs in the SEZ, and do not ever say I do not read newspapers of Bangladesh. I find it funny many fictitious news are printed to appease people like you. So, what has happened to your 145-storied tallest building of Eurasia with swimming pools, stadiums and others?

Military Forum Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom