What's new

Bangladesh Economic & Infrastructure Development - Updates & Discussions

I'd rather have our SEZ;s given to Germans, Japanese, Koreans etc over Indonesians .

Only Koreans are in the business of using low cost labor like in Bangladesh to cater to Western markets for low and medium value addition export items (shoes and apparel and at some point, appliances) and they are experts at it. Koreans make automobiles overseas as well, but that is in markets where local demand exists (like in the neighboring country).

The Japanese and the Germans are in the business of making extreme high value addition products overseas, which are usually technical products that are too expensive to make at home, such as instrumentation, specialized gadgets and in the case of the Japanese, sophisticated personal electronic and optical products like cameras and tablets. I have seen only a few Japanese factories in Bangladesh making fiberglass items (golf-clubs, fishing rods) and optical products (glass lenses, sensors) whereas they have loads of them in Thailand (most cheap Canon/Nikon SLRs and plastic lenses are made there).

Since Indonesians themselves need FDI at home, I don't know what business advantage they'd gain by investing here, although I imagine in some areas like heavy engg., shipbuilding and defense it would make sense. Oh and railway coaches too.

Plus they could supply clinker and coal to local cement and power generation facilities.

But these products would be for local consumption. We don't really need them to invest in SEZ's for those.

I don't believe Indonesian business people could actually make money by using local cheap labor to export anything when they can use local labor at home unless they use some of our quota advantages such as that of Pharma.

Last edited:
I would buy a Walton if the warranty and price is right..!
Good going Bangladesh.

Their flagship. 563 liters and about Tk. 60,000/-. Intelligent everything including fuzzy logic etc.

f1.jpg
f2.jpg
f6.jpg

Only Koreans are in the business of using low cost labor like in Bangladesh to cater to Western markets for low and medium value addition export items (shoes and apparel and at some point, appliances) and they are experts at it. Koreans make automobiles overseas as well, but that is in markets where local demand exists (like in the neighboring country).

The Japanese and the Germans are in the business of making extreme high value addition products overseas, which are usually technical products that are too expensive to make at home, such as instrumentation, specialized gadgets and in the case of the Japanese, sophisticated personal electronic and optical products like cameras and tablets. I have seen only a few Japanese factories in Bangladesh making fiberglass items (golf-clubs, fishing rods) and optical products (glass lenses, sensors) whereas they have loads of them in Thailand (most cheap Canon/Nikon SLRs and plastic lenses are made there).

Since Indonesians themselves need FDI at home, I don't know what business advantage they'd gain by investing here, although I imagine in some areas like heavy engg., shipbuilding and defense it would make sense. Oh and railway coaches too.

Plus they could supply clinker and coal to local cement and power generation facilities.

But these products would be for local consumption. We don't really need them to invest in SEZ's for those.

I don't believe Indonesian business people could actually make money by using local cheap labor to export anything when they can use local labor at home unless they use some of our quota advantages such as that of Pharma.

Yup, if Indonesia ever invest in Bangladesh it should be to penetrate Bangladesh market, not using Bangladesh as a base production since in Indonesia our labor is also relatively cheap. Indonesia can invest in noodle production like Indofood investment in Turkey (under a brand of Indomie), or tire production, lubricant factory just like Pertamina did it in China, railway coaches and shipbuilding as you mentioned already, Cement, even electronics like led TV (under a brand of Polytron) or telecommunication and infrastructure like Salim Group investment in Philippine.

But what I really like the most is excavator from Pindad. I hope this product can start competing globally.

004609800_1525928086-Excavator_Pindad.jpg

And electric motor cycle Gesits

2397393533.jpg

Last edited:
why i feel that there is only one company/ business group in Bangladesh that every now and then you people make thread and celebrate it.
The GoB should not allow free competition of products from other BD companies in the same market. So, Walton should keep on expanding the market for its electrical/electronics goods.

Why not.. if they can build one.
So, again I ask what is the status of hundreds of so-called SEZs and EPZs? Every day, the GoB offers zones to the foreigners, but no country seems to be willing to come to our shore and set up shops. It is the same story like a million tourist arrival.

I think a large amount of FDI will not be forthcoming. So, it would be wiser the local investors are encouraged to put their money in different industries. But, the GoB is keeping itself busy with prestige projects only wasting our present and future money there..

https://thefinancialexpress.com.bd/trade/us-bangla-adds-three-more-flights-to-guangzhou-1542877286
US-Bangla adds three more flights to Guangzhou
Published: November 22, 2018 15:01:26 | Updated: November 22, 2018 16:00:50

1542877286.jpg
File Photo (Collected)

US-Bangla Airlines has increased the number of flights to Guangzhou city of China to provide better connectivity to passengers.

Currently, the US-Bangla Airlines operates weekly four flights Dhaka to/from Guangzhou route, reports UNB.

From 6 December 2018, the airlines will operate seven flights weekly Dhaka to/from Guangzhou route, said a press release.

US-Bangla has increased the number of flights in response to stronger customer demand, said the statement.

Dhaka-Guangzhou-Dhaka flights are being operated with 164-seater Boeing 737-800 aircraft. There are 8 business-class and 156 economy seats in the Boeing 737-800 aircraft.

China offers visa on arrival for qualified Bangladeshis
  • UNB NEWS
  • PUBLISH DATE - NOVEMBER 22, 2018, 11:49 AM
  • UNB NEWS - UNB NEWS
https://unb.com.bd/category/Bangladesh/china-offers-visa-on-arrival-for-qualified-bangladeshis/6965
QIFeR4qP02Ckey8EZamTkt8GyZY5IutzTZFr06xm.jpeg

Dhaka, Nov 22 (UNB) - Bangladeshi citizens who are qualified and able to provide relevant supporting documents can apply for port visa, also known as visa on arrival, at relevant Chinese ports, says an official at Chinese Embassy in Dhaka on Thursday.

The duration of the stay for ‘port visa’ shall not be more that 30 days, said Chen Wei, spokesman and political counselor of Chinese Embassy in Bangladesh while expounding on the port visa system.

According to the Exit and Entry Administration Law of the People’s Republic of China, China's port visa system does not impose restrictions on specific countries, but only makes requirements for entry purposes.

The law stipulates that foreigners who need to enter China urgently for humanitarian reasons, or who are invited to enter China for urgent business or rush repair work, or have other urgent needs, or who are organised to visit China as tourists by Chinese travel agencies, may apply for port visas with the visa-issuing authorities entrusted by the Ministry of Public Security at the ports which are approved to issue port visas by the State Council.

So, again I ask what is the status of hundreds of so-called SEZs and EPZs? Every day, the GoB offers zones to the foreigners, but no country seems to be willing to come to our shore and set up shops. It is the same story like a million tourist arrival.

I think a large amount of FDI will not be forthcoming. So, it would be wiser the local investors are encouraged to put their money in different industries. But, the GoB is keeping itself busy with prestige projects only wasting our present and future money there..
Because you dont read newspaper or know details of the SEZ. I suggest you to try a plot in one of the SEZ and see the availability.
Just post us your finding here.

What a shit name! Looks like there were shortages of words to name an airline.

Because you dont read newspaper or know details of the SEZ. I suggest you to try a plot in one of the SEZ and see the availability.
Just post us your finding here.
We have been hearing about those SEZs for a long time. It's time something gets produced there.

The GoB should not allow free competition of products from other BD companies in the same market. So, Walton should keep on expanding the market for its electrical/electronics goods.
Why? Competition in free market leads to emergence of better products. Lack of competition from other companies is one of the reasons that Walton products are sometimes lacking in quality.

Last edited:
Why? Competition in free market leads to emergence of better products. Lack of competition from other companies is one of the reasons that Walton products are sometimes lacking in quality.
There are hundreds of other companies from many countries of the world to compete in any market where Walton enters. So, you can expect a good competitive atmosphere. In BD also there are many many foreign companies who are competing against Walton or vice versa. So, Walton is pressed by them to raise the quality of its products.

I was just responding to the poster's opinion that BD has no other companies.

There are hundreds of other companies from many countries of the world to compete in any market where Walton enters. So, you can expect a good competitive atmosphere. In BD also there are many many foreign companies who are competing against Walton or vice versa. So, Walton is pressed by them to raise the quality of its products.

I was just responding to the poster's opinion that BD has no other companies.
In Japan, you see there are many local manufacturers of electronic goods. It's not like they only let Sony expand and compete with foreign brands. They have companies like Toshiba, Fujitsu, Canon, Sony and many more to locally compete with each other. In Korea too, they have a Samsung and to rival that they have LG which is also a global player. I'm sure they have other local competitors as well.

Competition locally is a healthy thing. It makes the manufacturers to keep looking for new and better way of production. And If there are many companies, it is easier to persue the govt for friendly policy making as well. Local competition will lead to development of better goods. Walton is now at a stage that it thinks they are the best in BD. But cannot compete against the likes of Samsung. But if there were many such brands like Walton then they would be compelled to try harder to enhance their quality to survive in the market. And with enhanced quality they would do better in foreign markets as well.

Garments sector is doing good in BD because BD has so many large, medium and small sized garments who has to compete with each other for orders. If there were only one mega garments, things wouldn't be like that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom