What's new

Bangladesh Army should give Arms support to Rohingya Muslims.

Doesn't matter...The matter is that the army should stop persecuting our people thats it...We only want this...
Never going to happen bro. Either you guys will die or will get absorbed. Your kind started the violence, we will finish that “peacefully”...

Never going to happen bro. Either you guys will die or will get absorbed. Your kind started the violence, we will finish that “peacefully”...
That's an oversimplification. Tensions started with the refusal to recognize distinct ethnic identities shortly after independence. That's what started this rotten conflict and it's not going to end it either.

Doesn't matter...The matter is that the army should stop persecuting our people thats it...We only want this...
I think it matters given both are two different ethnic groups with different experiences in the country. Regardless army members in CHT has decreased substantially compared to the 80's. Given your views I'm going to assume that you're of the Hill Tracts.

Last edited:

We never started the problem...Bangladeshi Muslims and the army is to blame for the problem. You guys never recognized the culture of the Buddhists and always forced us to accept Islam and the arabic culture.

Last edited:
We never started the problem...Bangladeshi Muslims and the army is to blame for the problem. You guys never recognized the culture of the Buddhists and always forced us to accept Islam and the bengali culture. Also before giving us threats do remember that Thailand and Sri Lanka also has muslim population and you don't want them to suffer just like the rohingya muslims Muslims of Myanmar, do you? and recently Muslims were attacked in sri lanka and in Thailand Muslims of the southern Thailand are looked down upon, so anytime anything can happen to your brothers residing in our lands..
As the cliche saying goes, two wrongs don't make a right. What's your goal here? If you're trying to change people's views or raising awareness of your people's condition I must say your approach isn't going to win over anyone. Regardless, the Chakma and Marma the main Buddhist ethnic groups in BD received pre-primary education textbooks in their native languages recently. That is progress and an indication that the government has recognized your people being different from Bengalis. This is why the question on whether you're an ethnic minority from the Hill Tracts or a Bengali Buddhist is important as both have different experiences.

Exactly..The problem was started by the Muslims themselves. In the 1970s they demanded that the Buddhists accept Islam and the arabic/muslim bengali culture and that's when the problem started..Bangladeshi Muslims especially the army blames India and Western NGOs for creating problems in the cht however they dont acknowledge that they and their army is the main culprit..They always try to stress the fact that Buddhists of Bangladesh are separatists while in reality there were no separatist activities in the 1970s and the 1980s and the war between the army and us was just to protect our identity and our culture which the Muslims of Bangladesh wanted to snatch..The theory of Jummaland came way later in the early 2000s and its mainly a conspiracy of the midget army of Bangladesh and Islamist political groups
You're making yourself look worse now. The conflict in CHT was never religious. Though ethnic recognition was a problem it's now mostly an economic conflict based on land. Your culture and identity are recognized and your right to practice your religion is too. And India did support separatists in the 80's, that's a fact.

Bolen ki! Ei porjnto gondho pachhi go-mutrer.

I aint In
As the cliche saying goes, two wrongs don't make a right. What's your goal here? If you're trying to change people's views or raising awareness of your people's condition I must say your approach isn't going to win over anyone. Regardless, the Chakma and Marma the main Buddhist ethnic groups in BD received pre-primary education textbooks in their native languages recently. That is progress and an indication that the government has recognized your people being different from Bengalis. This is why the question on whether you're an ethnic minority from the Hill Tracts or a Bengali Buddhist is important as both have different experiences.

You're making yourself look worse now. The conflict in CHT was never religious. Though ethnic recognition was a problem it's now mostly an economic conflict based on land. Your culture and identity are recognized and your right to practice your religion is too. And India did support separatists in the 80's, that's a fact.

In Bangladesh the Bangladeshi culture means Islamic/Arabic culture with a small touch of bengali culture, believe it or not..If being bengali is the first priority then why are hindus, christians and buddhists who are bengalis being neglected in the first place..

There is a huge difference between Indian bengali and Bangladeshi bengali culture...The Bangladeshi bengali culture is primarily influenced by Islamic and Arabic culture...

being bengali is the first priority then why are hindus, christians and buddhists who are bengalis being neglected
That is precisely the same question I want to ask my BD friends. If Bengali ethno nationalism was the base of founding the BD state why would you discriminate on religious grounds. I understand that the situation these days is much better but there is no escaping the fact that historical blunders were committed.

In Bangladesh the Bangladeshi culture means Islamic/Arabic culture with a small touch of bengali culture, believe it or not..If being bengali is the first priority then why are hindus, christians and buddhists who are bengalis being neglected in the first place..
No, I don't believe it. And when exactly are Bengali Hindus, Christians, and Buddhists being neglected? I'm starting to think you're not Bangladeshi at all. Where is the neglection? Yes there are extremists voices that say horrible stuff about religious minorities but they are called extremist by mainstream Bangladeshi society for a reason.

There is a huge difference between Indian bengali and Bangladeshi bengali culture...The Bangladeshi bengali culture is primarily influenced by Islamic and Arabic culture...
A huge difference? Really?
@Joe Shearer
Sir, I've yet to visit West Bengal so I feel as if I cannot provide a response to this question myself. Is it possible that as a person that's visited both West Bengal and Bangladesh, could you provide your thoughts on this bolded statement?

That is precisely the same question I want to ask my BD friends. If Bengali ethno nationalism was the base of founding the BD state why would you discriminate on religious grounds. I understand that the situation these days is much better but there is no escaping the fact that historical blunders were committed.
What blunders? You said your family left in 1964 due to persecution? Yes that was a blunder but that occured before the founding of BD. It was tragic no doubt but modern Bangladesh hasn't had that kind of level of religious violence since it's founding.

Islamic culture? 90% of Bangladeshis are muslim, of course there'll be islamic culture. You are telling me West Bengal doesn't have hindu culture? Are the 90% muslims in BD supposed to not express their religious culture or what?

Secondly, what do you mean by Arabic culture? Do give examples of what arabic culture is in BD and what is it you consider to be a ''Bangali culture''.

Stop this BS comparing with Indian Bengalis. Culture isn't static that it stays the same throughout time. After the divide we have had little to no connection with Indian Bengalis and both our culture evolved differently in the past 70 years. Why would you expect Bangladeshi culture to be the same as indian Bengali at this point?

What blunders? You said your family left in 1964 due to persecution? Yes that was a blunder but that occured before the founding of BD. It was tragic no doubt but modern Bangladesh hasn't had that kind of level of religious violence since it's founding.
I know where you are coming from, and agree to your views. Look, I do not care much about the atrocities committed by those devilish rejakars and al badr, they were devoid of any humanity. What hurts us though is that the average East Pakistani Bengali of that time did very little to help their compatriots.

No, I don't believe it. And when exactly are Bengali Hindus, Christians, and Buddhists being neglected? I'm starting to think you're not Bangladeshi at all. Where is the neglection? Yes there are extremists voices that say horrible stuff about religious minorities but they are called extremist by mainstream Bangladeshi society for a reason.

A huge difference? Really?
@Joe Shearer
Sir, I've yet to visit West Bengal so I feel as if I cannot provide a response to this question myself. Is it possible that as a person that's visited both West Bengal and Bangladesh, could you provide your thoughts on this bolded statement?

My instant, unthinking reaction, and one that will definitely get me into hot water with both sides to the discussion, is that there are differences, and these are significant in the question of vocabulary. Bangladeshis tend to use foreign words in a very self-conscious kind of way, very interesting. For instance, 'Poida Dibosh' rather than 'Jonmodin' (I discovered this one recently and enfuriated my sister by sending her anonymous greetings; she has been combing her list of B'deshi friends trying to find out who it was!).

For the rest, considering that even 'Gaye Holood' takes place in Bangladeshi weddings, I wouldn't make too big a song and dance about it. There are differences; those who want to be differentiated push those differences more, those who are relaxed about it don't push the point.

I am not commenting on the other two posts because we can never find a resolution to the two points of view. On the whole, I would agree with you: things were very bad at one time, they are more relaxed now.

An afterthought: after Liberation, we in West Bengal were exposed once again to Bangladeshi theatre and literature. We were thunderstruck at the advances that you had made, and the robust, virile use of the language (excepting the importations; they struck us as jarring then, and honestly, strike us the same way today), and became total fans.

My instant, unthinking reaction, and one that will definitely get me into hot water with both sides to the discussion, is that there are differences, and these are significant in the question of vocabulary. Bangladeshis tend to use foreign words in a very self-conscious kind of way, very interesting. For instance, 'Poida Dibosh' rather than 'Jonmodin' (I discovered this one recently and enfuriated my sister by sending her anonymous greetings; she has been combing her list of B'deshi friends trying to find out who it was!).

For the rest, considering that even 'Gaye Holood' takes place in Bangladeshi weddings, I wouldn't make too big a song and dance about it. There are differences; those who want to be differentiated push those differences more, those who are relaxed about it don't push the point.

I am not commenting on the other two posts because we can never find a resolution to the two points of view. On the whole, I would agree with you: things were very bad at one time, they are more relaxed now.
Thank you for your answer. The difference in language is certainly striking. Though through the views of an anthropologist (albeit physical not cultural) I personally wouldn't refer to it as huge.

An afterthought: after Liberation, we in West Bengal were exposed once again to Bangladeshi theatre and literature. We were thunderstruck at the advances that you had made, and the robust, virile use of the language (excepting the importations; they struck us as jarring then, and honestly, strike us the same way today), and became total fans.
Fascinating. I think it's somewhat mutual. When I visited Dhaka in winter I noticed much of my relatives (mostly female) were all enjoying this Drama from West Bengal. The name of it escapes me but I do remember finding the lead actress to be quite fetching.

I know where you are coming from, and agree to your views. Look, I do not care much about the atrocities committed by those devilish rejakars and al badr, they were devoid of any humanity. What hurts us though is that the average East Pakistani Bengali of that time did very little to help their compatriots.
That's fair. If you ever wish to visit the homeland of your parents, I'm sure you will be welcomed.

For instance, 'Poida Dibosh' rather than 'Jonmodin' (I discovered this one recently and enfuriated my sister by sending her anonymous greetings; she has been combing her list of B'deshi friends trying to find out who it was!).
LoL! good one there Joe! :lol:

Actually this one phrase is more common to kids from a certain age group. It's meant to be a greeting in a joking way with persons you are close with (& obviously who gets a joke!) and never meant for formal settings.

Seems like by this point Bangladeshi kids has gotten used to taking the Urdu/Hindi speaking world as a joke. Knowing these languages at this point is considered backward and 'ক্ষেত' by the kids. Guess what happens when someone tells his students that he know few foreign languages including those! Or try go through a Subcontinental Classical literature or a Indian language & literature (Hindi/Khariboli part) lecture with them! lol! :lol:

Last edited:
LoL! good one there,Joe! :lol:

Actually this one phrase is more common to kids from a certain age group. It's meant to be a greeting in a joking way with persons you are close with (& obviously who gets a joke!) and never meant for formal settings.
Seems like by this point Bangladeshi kids has gotten used to taking the Urdu/Hindi speaking world as a joke. Knowing these languages at this point is considered backward and 'ক্ষেত' by the kids. Guess what happens when you tell your students that you know few foreign languages including those! Or try go through a Subcontinental Classical literature or a Indian language & literature lecture with them! lol! :lol:

LOL.

Oh, it was good. She was mad as a wet hen, because she couldn't trace the perpetrator.

The condescension towards upcountry languages is alive and kicking in Calcutta. I try NEVER to mention those (I speak Hindi, Khariboli Hindi at that, pretty well, but let's keep that between us) and emphasise my smattering of Tamil and Kannada instead, which vastly impresses them. My daughter speaks Madras Tamil, Hebbar Iyengar Tamil (a localised dialect from Mysore), Kannada, Hindi and Bengali. Sadly, in that order.

Bolen ki! Ei porjnto gondho pachhi go-mutrer.

Eki jinish shobhya bhashaye bola jeto. Eibhabe kutshit bhasha byabohar kora ki ekanta proyojoniyo?

someone should first give arms support to the bhooka nanga bangladeshi army

That's an oversimplification. Tensions started with the refusal to recognize distinct ethnic identities shortly after independence. That's what started this rotten conflict and it's not going to end it either.
Surely we took a bad political decision. But, instead of talking politically they started violence involving foreign power. They have to pay for that...
We never started the problem...Bangladeshi Muslims and the army is to blame for the problem. You guys never recognized the culture of the Buddhists and always forced us to accept Islam and the arabic culture.
You started the violence involving foreign power. We did and doing what is needed to be done!

What is Buddhist culture? Like, since when a Japanese Buddhist and a Bangladeshi Buddhist stared to follow same culture because of Buddhism? Dont spread BS...

Since when we forced tribal peoples to convert to Islam? Any proof? And, since when Bangladeshis started following Arabic culture?

Also before giving us threats do remember that Thailand and Sri Lanka also has muslim population and you don't want them to suffer just like the rohingya muslims Muslims of Myanmar, do you? and recently Muslims were attacked in sri lanka and in Thailand Muslims of the southern Thailand are looked down upon, so anytime anything can happen to your brothers residing in our lands...
Nothing will happen to our brothers! They will continue to grow and become politically powerful (happening everywhere). But, you should think about yourselves. NO one even feels sorry for your bad lucks. NOT even your Buddhist brothers...:P

Back
Top Bottom