What's new

Bangladesh Air Force

Super Tucano Avionics is from Elbit of Israel. The newly designed TAI Hurkus is similar or better:
TAI Hürkuş - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

tai-hurkus-c-tr_Page_1.jpg

Hurkus+turboprop+traine.jpg

idef%202013_vu%20khi_25.jpg

idef%202013_vu%20khi_26.jpg

As far as I know Indonesia is not facing any militancy why they need these planes if for training than good but as fighter no

Indonesia always had a strong air force tradition dating from the dutch and japanese occupation days pre-WWII. Plus their tradition of manufacturing complete airplanes successfully before anyone else in the region in the 70's. PT. Dirgantara Indonesia (DI) (earlier known as PT Nurtanio or IPTN) in Bandung was a huge aero complex in Indonesia and an early star of the Asian aviation scene, assembling all their air force requirements and overhauling DC-9's. Two of their successful aero transport products are JV with CASA in spain, i.e. the C-212 Aviocar and the CN-235. Pakistan may have a few of the latter. The CN-235 is also a popular maritime patrol and ASW platform.

Also their launch of their own turboprop airliner program the N250 back in the day (1995) was unprecedented among Asian countries. Thanks to scheming of first world economies and their handmaiden the IMF that airliner failed to see any sales before funding for IPTN was drastically cut. Too advanced for its time - some would say. Witness that almost no Asian or ME country (except Iran with its Russian airliner program) has had any chance at great commercial success. In any case I digress from my OT rant.

It is interesting that Indonesian AF has two types of these Turboprop trainers, both the latest Brazilian Super Tucano as well as a number of the Korean KT-1 Woongbi.

But the numerical strength and qualitative component of their training division warrants it. Their training program is quite large, as befits the size and far-flung areas of their country

Last edited:
Indonesia always had a strong air force tradition dating from the dutch and japanese occupation days pre-WWII. Plus their tradition of manufacturing complete airplanes successfully before anyone else in the region in the 70's. PT. Dirgantara Indonesia (DI) (earlier known as PT Nurtanio) in Bandung was a huge aero complex in Indonesia and an early star of the Asian aviation scene, assembling all their air force requirements and overhauling DC-9's. Two of their successful aero transport products are JV with CASA in spain, i.e. the C-212 Aviocar and the CN-235. Pakistan may have a few of the latter.

It is interesting that they have two types of these Turboprop trainers, both the latest Brazilian Super Tucano as well as a number of the Korean KT-1 Woongbi.

But the numerical strength and qualitative component of their training division warrants it. Their training program is quite large, as befits the size and far-flung areas of their country
I was using mobile and I accidently thought I am writing on Indonesian section

I was using mobile and I accidently thought I am writing on Indonesian section

Ah i just read it here, well we are using Super Tucano mainly as maritime and border surveillance. Their bonus is they are quite cheap to be maintained and have a low value of CfpH than a larger platform. Their added value is, they can be based in rough field with minimum facilities and can served as training platform and CAS platform. In summary, they are quite versatile.

@Bilal9

thanks for your positive comment about us. Hmm as far as i know, several years ago Bangladesh giving us an inquiry about CN-235 MPA/ASW version, they are quite interested after seeing Turkish Navy version in which just got their plans to be upgraded in Indonesia. Any progress about it?

Ah i just read it here, well we are using Super Tucano mainly as maritime and border surveillance. Their bonus is they are quite cheap to be maintained and have a low value of CfpH than a larger platform. Their added value is, they can be based in rough field with minimum facilities and can served as training platform and CAS platform. In summary, they are quite versatile.

@Bilal9

thanks for your positive comment about us. Hmm as far as i know, several years ago Bangladesh giving us an inquiry about CN-235 MPA/ASW version, they are quite interested after seeing Turkish Navy version in which just got their plans to be upgraded in Indonesia. Any progress about it?
Yes for Border Surveillance and check people movement and for militancy these are good Jets and also can be used as good trainer

@Bilal9

Well the ASW aircraft purchase I think is yet to be decided.

Pakistan has some P3c Orion (based on the Lockheed Electra) as ASW platform which is quite sophisticated.

CN-235 would also make a fine smaller ASW platform which Turkish Navy has just demonstrated. Bangladesh just bought two German RUAG Dornier Do-228 airplanes for maritime patrol (not ASW) for which the bodies were made in India. In my opinion the CN-235 would have been a far better option because you could pull substitute SAR rescue role with this platform as well. Do-228 is not suitable for SAR duties. But sometimes purchases are made with financing companies who strongly dictate the choice of hardware vendor (profit sharing under the table).

It is of course also my opinion that if possible Bangladesh should make any possible defense purchases from a brotherly Muslim country like Indonesia. But relatively cheaper Chinese arms and easy-credit Russian terms for arms purchases made Bangladesh purchase armament from those countries so far.

But Bangladesh will make a decision on ASW purchase and they may seriously consider the CN-235, if not anything other than the proximity of Indonesia to Bangladesh and the availability of friendly maintenance resources etc.

There is a lot of reports circulating in the local press about sourcing other armaments (especially for army) from Indonesia. Lot of Indonesian arms may already have been sourced. In any case Indonesia figures strongly in Bangladesh military circles as a supplier.

F-7BG1 has 5 hard points not 7 same as FT-7.

If BGI has only 5 hardpoints I'm guessing one of two things:

1. There was a design revision where they felt that the small wing was overtaxed with 7 hardpoints - or they found cracks or signs of stress or fatigue on it.

2. Maybe the weight per hardpoint was moved up - for more capable i.e. AIM-9 copies with more sophisticated seekers and/or longer range i.e. heavier packed rocket motor.

I don't think the F-7BGI is BVR capable?

1. There was a design revision where they felt that the small wing was overtaxed with 7 hardpoints - or they found cracks or signs of stress or fatigue on it.

2. Maybe the weight per hardpoint was moved up - for more capable i.e. AIM-9 copies with more sophisticated seekers and/or longer range i.e. heavier packed rocket motor.

Contrary to what people believe, BVR may not be that functional specially when it is short range dog fights. Even from a long range attack BVR missiles may not kill the enemy plane if its pilot is well trained on how to evade it. However, all the countries seek BVR capable planes.

The F-7MF was designed to mount 7 hard points inaddition of F-16 like air-inlet but never hit production line.

BG1s can carry LGM of long range.

The sole purpose of F-7 is interception hence BVR capability is redundant here and has a firing range of 20+KM. Its not to be mixed up with the tracking range. Moreover F-7 has MMS integrated.

At the end it seems BAF is still an airforce with limited capabilities.

Back
Top Bottom