What's new

Bangladesh Air Force

Can't copy it here but basically it's saying BAF is gonna buy 2 squadrons F-16V.

Plans have been shelved for Typhoon or Rafale. (For now)

Kinda makes sense to me actually.
Prioritising single engine makes sense but Gripen (room for ToT, efficient machine) and J-10C's (sanction proof) are the only logical options.

Prioritising single engine makes sense but Gripen (room for ToT, efficient machine) and J-10C's (sanction proof) are the only logical options.

Yup.

But Uncle Sam gets what he wants.

Also, the major issue here is gonna be what munitions are coming with it.

Need AMRAAM.

In any case man, 32 F-16V with AIM-9X and AMRAAM will be more than enough for Myanmar.

But the most important thing is access to US training.

This is key to getting the BAF to where it needs to be.

Yup.

But Uncle Sam gets what he wants.

Also, the major issue here is gonna be what munitions are coming with it.

Need AMRAAM.

In any case man, 32 F-16V with AIM-9X and AMRAAM will be more than enough for Myanmar.

But the most important thing is access to US training.

This is key to getting the BAF to where it needs to be.
If we are forced to buy F-16s, we must diversify and also buy Gripens. Not ideal but secure supplies trumps ease of maintenance.

If we are forced to buy F-16s, we must diversify and also buy Gripens. Not ideal but secure supplies trumps ease of maintenance.

Nah that will never happen.

I can see an F-16/Rafale or F-16/Typhoon force.

I can not see an F-16/Gripen force.

Also, the US can just as easily disrupt a Gripen purchase given many components are American.

Also, the US can just as easily disrupt a Gripen purchase given many components are American.
What I suggested was focused on the single engine segment only.
In the above scenario, getting 2 squadrons of EFT on top of F-16+Gripen would make sense once the single engine fleet is sorted.
When buying Gripens, BD would have to buy dozens of spare engines in bulk and mothball them so that come sanction time we can keep them flying. All other spares and ammunitions can be sourced from Europe. I do not see BD becoming rougue enough to see both the US and Europe sanctioning us is unison.

What I have described would be shrewd strategic moves - do not expect the BAF airheads to ever pull these off. Dumbfucks running the show are more keen on wasting time to enjoy job perks and retiring with full benefits over developing spines and resigning in protest.

Last edited:
What I suggested was focused on the single engine segment only.
In the above scenario, getting 2 squadrons of EFT on top of F-16+Gripen would make sense once the single engine fleet is sorted.
When buying Gripens, BD would have to buy dozens of spare engines in bulk and mothball them so that come sanction time we can keep them flying. All other spares can be sourced from Europe.
Now these would be shrewd strategic moves - do not expect the BAF airheads to ever pull these off.

1649474420998.jpeg

A lot of US flags.

I think we have had this discussion before.

Once the US has given approval for Sweden to export the engine to BD then that is their influence pretty much over.

Gripen can be armed with both the European Meteor and ASRAAM air-to-air missiles and Sweden is able to maintain the plane, including engine overhaul.

Think of it this way, the GE engine in the Gripen will last at least as long as the airframe and so unless the BAF wants to buy additional Gripens, the USA can be ruled out as a factor once the plane is in BD and flying with BAF.

While neither Gripen and F-16V are ideal, I would pick the Gripen any day of the week to maintain as much independence as possible for BD.

Gripen/F-16 combo makes no sense as they are both light fighters and from the West. BD needs to aim for something like Typhoon/J-10CE combo as this gives the best performance and strategic freedom.

PS - Other great thing about buying from Sweden is that BD can easily integrate with 2-3 Global Eye AWACS that may be the best system for it's size in the world.

I think we have had this discussion before.

Once the US has given approval for Sweden to export the engine to BD then that is their influence pretty much over.

Gripen can be armed with both the European Meteor and ASRAAM air-to-air missiles and Sweden is able to maintain the plane, including engine overhaul.

Think of it this way, the GE engine in the Gripen will last at least as long as the airframe and so unless the BAF wants to buy additional Gripens, the USA can be ruled out as a factor once the plane is in BD and flying with BAF.

While neither Gripen and F-16V are ideal, I would pick the Gripen any day of the week to maintain as much independence as possible for BD.

Gripen/F-16 combo makes no sense as they are both light fighters and from the West. BD needs to aim for something like Typhoon/J-10CE combo as this gives the best performance and strategic freedom.

PS - Other great thing about buying from Sweden is that BD can easily integrate with 2-3 Global Eye AWACS that may be the best system for it's size in the world.

Yeah man.

At this point, BAF buys either F-16V or Gripen E and I'm breaking out the:

1649523946562.jpeg

At least 2 squadrons of either would be significant.

Again the key is gonna be getting access to the appropriate munitions to utilize them fully.

AMRAAM or Meteor. (I'm thinking AMRAAM is much cheaper)

Not to mention the full spectrum of A2G gear.

And of course, the opening of access to the types of training BAF needs to rejuvenate itself.

Bangladesh MUST understand the importance of the role of air power the way Pakistan has.

Otherwise Bangladesh will always be at the mercy of the whims of its neighbors.

Yeah man.

At this point, BAF buys either F-16V or Gripen E and I'm breaking out the:

View attachment 832497

At least 2 squadrons of either would be significant.

Again the key is gonna be getting access to the appropriate munitions to utilize them fully.

AMRAAM or Meteor. (I'm thinking AMRAAM is much cheaper)

And of course, the opening of access to the types of training BAF needs to rejuvenate itself.

Bangladesh MUST understand the importance of the role of air power the way Pakistan has.

Otherwise Bangladesh will always be at the mercy of the whims of its neighbors.

Meteor price is similar to the AIM-120D which is similar in terms of capability.
AIM-120C is cheaper but it is an inferior missile to both.

Meteor price is similar to the AIM-120D which is similar in terms of capability.
AIM-120C is cheaper but it is an inferior missile to both.

I can't see Bangladesh getting D access.

I'd be surprised frankly with C-5 even.

They may attempt to limit it at Sidewinders and Sparrows.

Which Bangladesh absolutely should not accept.

Similar to situation with Iraq.

If that's the case, Bangladesh should just grab its balls and go after Meteor with whatever Eurocanard.

And maybe this may be the rationale to acquire Rafale with at least MICAs.

Last edited:
I can't see Bangladesh getting D access.

I'd be surprised frankly with C-5 even.

They may attempt to limit it at Sidewinders and Sparrows.

Which Bangladesh absolutely should not accept.

Similar to situation with Iraq.

If that's the case, Bangladesh should just grab its balls and go after Meteor with whatever Eurocanard.

USA is just a very bad route to go down for so many reasons.

USA is just a very bad route to go down for so many reasons.

Yea I mean I agree there are ALOT of cons.

The level of attention BD has received from the US in the recent past makes me really uneasy.

But at the same time, like I said before it's a mafia like relationship with smaller countries like BD.

And there ARE some benefits.

For the BAF, if played correctly, it can really jumpstart a rejuvenation of the force.

The alternative is to continue to buy Russian and Chinese platforms.

And continue to be ceremonial force rather than an operational one.

Yea I mean I agree there are ALOT of cons.

The level of attention BD has received from the US in the recent past makes me really uneasy.

But at the same time, like I said before it's a mafia like relationship with smaller countries like BD.

And there ARE some benefits.

For the BAF, if played correctly, it can really jumpstart a rejuvenation of the force.

The alternative is to continue to buy Russian and Chinese platforms.

And continue to be ceremonial force rather than an operational one.
I say bite the bullet for EFT/F16 combo....

Let the navy be chinese and the BA armed with turkish and chinese stuff until we raise up our military industrial base.... we could do a lot worse...

Otherwise J-10C + EFT is the most logical combo.
J-10C + rafale that's the sanctions proof combo. I don't we can trust the Germans. they would block spares+ammo in the event of war with Mm. Plus we don't have the financial clout of Saudi Arabia.
either case, we will have to spend extra money to develop our own tactical air datalink system. The french might be more lenient on this issue than the EU+UK. (IAF integration of Rafale with S-400). In a way it makes sense to get two western origin fighter types.

yeah western engines have almost double the operating hours (before necessary overhaul) when compared to their russian counterparts. plus western countries cant produce engines out of thin air in the even of a conflict, it probably takes months by which time the conflict will be over.
imo this highlights the need for MRO facilities (for engine and airframe maintenance) to be set up in BD.

ideally we should get ToT for basic LGB (prefferably from Turkey) and integrate it to our fighters, its not the most complex technology.
i hope BD doesn't cheap out (lets be honest, they will) when buying the weapon's package for the fighters.

i read somewhere that the US has proposed to fund defence purchases for BD under low interest loans. this may be subject to congressional+state dept approval ?
Frankly, we should pay out of our own pocket.

Back
Top Bottom