What's new

Bangladesh Air Force Thread(2010-2011)

But interceptors alone are not enough. BD needs aircraft capable of supporting the army's ground operations by striking at high value enemy targets. The best bet is a multi-role aircraft that can perform both interception and ground attack.

However remember that any conflict between Bangladesh and Myanmar will be quite limited, since its highly likely that a peace deal will be brokered. So there is no need to buy equipment for a sustained war.

JF-17s have multi-role capability.PAF is probably replace A-5s with these.Considering lower maintenance cost than twin engined Migs,I think it won't be a bad buy.

It will be short because both Air forces will suffer serious casualty in the first hours of war and will not be able to play major role further.This is because both AF has similar capability and inventory.Only difference could be how well the pilots perform.Otherwise there is no absolute advantage.The main battle will be on sea and land.Probably that's why Govt. is buying two new frigates.

JF-17s have multi-role capability.PAF is probably replace A-5s with these.Considering lower maintenance cost than twin engined Migs,I think it won't be a bad buy.

It will be short because both Air forces will suffer serious casualty in the first hours of war and will not be able to play major role further.This is because both AF has similar capability and inventory.Only difference could be how well the pilots perform.Otherwise there is no absolute advantage.The main battle will be on sea and land.Probably that's why Govt. is buying two new frigates.
But the air forces are the real deal nowadays, you should know that by now..

I know, thats why i have included JF-17 in my list. And as for MiG-29s, Bangladesh already operates them, so logistical costs of inducting more MiG-29s will be lesser. A fully upgraded MiG-29 can carry a variety of Russian A2A and A2G weapons, making it a deadly weapon

And i dont agree with your assumption of both air forces destroying each other. if one can launch a successful surprise raid on the other's airbases (Like Israel did to the Arabs in 1967) they can take out their air force. And then air force can be used to support ground and naval offensives, so by the time the ceasefire is brokered, one party can bargain from a position of advantage.

I know, thats why i have included JF-17 in my list. And as for MiG-29s, Bangladesh already operates them, so logistical costs of inducting more MiG-29s will be lesser. A fully upgraded MiG-29 can carry a variety of Russian A2A and A2G weapons, making it a deadly weapon

And i dont agree with your assumption of both air forces destroying each other. if one can launch a successful surprise raid on the other's airbases (Like Israel did to the Arabs in 1967) they can take out their air force. And then air force can be used to support ground and naval offensives, so by the time the ceasefire is brokered, one party can bargain from a position of advantage.

Yes, i tend to agree with you here....we need at least two different variety of air-superior fighters....for the JF-17s are the best buy....gripen, as even you suggested, would cost min. $40m per plane....which is costly....so the fleet of Migs can the expanded as an alternative....

Well about your assumption on the war scenario, the closest Burmese air base is in Sittwe, somewhere within 50 kms from the border....a pre-emptive attack there might put them at a disadvantage stage initially but apart from these, they have 8 more bases to use from, though they are located all at either center or east of Burma....if Sittwe air base is down, their ground units will be long out of air cover, which shall be the perfect time for us to thrust in to get few lands....

The same risk applies to us as our forward air base in Chittagong is near the border as well....It all would depend on tactics and the planning the both side's generals make....

Cheers!!!

Bro, i have always given a thought about Dassault Mirage-2000....its current tag is $23m whereas, even Mig-29 is $29m....Mirage could have or could be a good option, if not new....we can buy the second hands from UAE....

Cheers!!!

Bro, i have always given a thought about Dassault Mirage-2000....its current tag is $23m whereas, even Mig-29 is $29m....Mirage could have or could be a good option, if not new....we can buy the second hands from UAE....

Cheers!!!

UAE is asking absurd prices for those Mirages.Recently India wanted to buy those but they were asking very high price.

Since its out of production,I don't think we will be able to buy any from other operators.

President for modernization of Air Force

BSS, Dhaka

President Zillur Rahman yesterday laid emphasis on modernization of Bangladesh Air Force (BAF) through adopting advanced technologies for ensuring better performances in the service.

The President made the remarks when Air Chief Air Marshal S M Ziaur Rahman called on him at Bangabhaban here.

During the meeting, Air Marshal Rahman apprised the President about his recent visit to the United Kingdom to attend the Royal International Air Tatto (RIAT-2010) that was also joined by air chiefs from different countries.

The Air Chief said that he had held meetings with the air chiefs of the UK and the RIAT president to discuss mutual and professional issues between Bangladesh and the British Royal Air Force.

He said that he also had held meetings with the air chiefs of the United States, China and Malaysia on the sidelines of the air show and discussed various professional issues.

Air Marshal Rahman apprised the President of different ongoing activities of the BAF.

President Zillur Rahman gave him a patient hearing and lauded the role of the Bangladesh Air Chief in discharging his professional duties abroad.

Secretaries concerned of the President's Office were present.

http://www.ittefaq.com/issues/2010/08/06/news0604.htm

President emphasises modernising BAF

President M Zillur Rahman Thursday emphasised the need for modernising the Bangladesh Air Force (BAF) involving sophisticated technology to ensure better performance, reports BSS.

Chief of Air Staff Air Marshal S M Ziaur Rahman called on the President at the Bangabhaban to apprise him of different ongoing activities of the air force.

Air Marshal Zia recently attended the Royal International Air Tatto (RIAT-2010) held in the United Kingdom where the air chiefs from various countries including USA, China, France, Italy, Poland, Belgium, Chile and Malaysia took part.

I know its the same thing, but just a bit more information on mine.

He informed the President of his meeting and discussion with the foreign air chiefs on bilateral issues and professional matters.

The President appreciated the role of Bangladesh Air Chief in discharging his professional duties.

President emphasises modernising BAF

Btw, greetings to all the British_Bangladeshi and all the other new Bdeshi members :)
just a bit more info on mine, I know its the same thing.

And please guys, we won't be getting JF-17's honestly, I am being realistic with the situation in bangladesh(awami league) etc, I hope we get some very good aircraft though :)

And please guys, we won't be getting JF-17's honestly, I am being realistic with the situation in bangladesh(awami league) etc, I hope we get some very good aircraft though :)

:coffee:
Govt. decided to purchase MiG-29M/M2 this year of 2010. It will be received in the middle of 2011 i think. So next procurement will be late and Govt. will then think for Su-xx.

Back
Top Bottom