What's new

Bangladesh Air Force Thread(2010-2011)

Why not go for the F 16 block 50 or something. It is far better than anything the Chinese, Pakistani or any other country can offer at affordable rates. US will love to give it just to piss off the Myanmarese Military Junta. It is one proven platform and you wont have any problem for spares.

Probably that's why Govt. is buying two new frigates.

Govt. decided to purchase MiG-29M/M2 this year of 2010. It will be received in the middle of 2011 i think. So next procurement will be late and Govt. will then think for Su-xx.

It would be appreciated if someone comes up with concrete proof/realistic links of above claims, thanks.

It would be appreciated if someone comes up with concrete proof/realistic links of above claims, thanks.

For the frigates:

Associated Press Of Pakistan ( Pakistan's Premier NEWS Agency ) - China set to build for Bangladesh large patrol craft with modern missiles

PM reveals plans to modernise Navy

Bangladesh Navy procurement of two frigates from China increased combat effectiveness -- China daily

It should be noted as reported on last link, Bangladesh Navy just recently received the Hydro graphic Survey vessel from Britain.It is named "BNS Onushandhan".

As for the Migs:

No solid confirmation.

According to information published in the journal «Jane's Defence Weekly», became aware that Shah Mohammad Ziaur Rahman (Marshal and Chief of Air Staff, Bangladesh), said at an international conference in London on 2011 that his country intends to buy 16 brand new F-7BGI fighter jets from China. Their preparation is expected in 2012. Details of the contract on purchase of F-7BGI aircraft, remained undisclosed. It is assumed that these will replace the outdated fighter bombers A-5C, now in the service.

Based on statements by the commander of Air Force Staff of Bangladesh, an improved version of F-7 the F-7BGI, created by a Chinese company, known as the Chengdu Aircraft Industry Group, characterized the best on-board equipment. There is a control stick HOTAS, three indicators (multi-) in the cockpit and one on the windshield. Weapon system includes bombs (guided) capable of induced by GPS. Judging from these descriptions, we can safely conclude that, in a sense, the production of the MiG-21 does not stop now.

It should be noted that the Bangladesh Air Force in 2006, has received 16 fighters of earlier versions grade F-7BG, who produced all the same Chinese company, as well as four combat-capable aircraft grade FT-7BG. A little earlier, from 1989 to 2000, the air force acquired an additional 16 fighters marks F-7MB, and 8 training version FT-7MB. Incidentally, today in the ranks stay single machine (23sht.) and 8 trainers. And all of them are registered for the squadrons of 35 and 5 on the Dhaka-Kurmitola Air Base.

According to Shah Mohammad Ziaur Marshal Rahman, the purchase of aircraft F-7BGI will be for a transitional period, because in the next 13-15 years, the Air Force intends to acquire a new generation of fighters (20 32sht). The options being considered is the MiG-29CMT, Lockheed Martin F-16 and Su-30 and the Saab JAS-39. In addition, the Air Force plans to upgrade 8 MiG-29 that were purchased back in 1999, and of course, buy a new trainer for advanced training in order to replace the existing L-39.

The Americans are now us offering the F-16 :lol:

SU-30? Seriously? That's like choosing between a bicycle (F-16) and an SUV (SU-30).

That would be a total waste of money to pick F-16, mig-29 in 2024-2025 by then JFT Block III is termed to be Semi- Steath with highly modified A2A-A2G variants in production 3-4 less the cost of F-16s/Gripen/SU-30 (bad choice terrible maintenance even BAF said Mig-29 are hard to maintain).

BAF would be better off picking Chinese export variant J-16 & JF-17 (Block III) by 2024 & onwards a squadron of highly sophisticated stealth. High-Low combination J-16 & JF-17 Block III 2 Squadrons would be sufficient, all under $1.8 Billion, China is always good providing BAF with soft loans.

I did read BAF would get F-7BGI but what is the total cost $75M-$85M. PAC/CAC has no problem with Exports; BAF could have ordered 6 FC-1s and reduced older A-5s the cost of saving could have channeled towards 3 more FC-1s. Strange decisions.

That would be a total waste of money to pick F-16, mig-29 in 2024-2025 by then JFT Block III is termed to be Semi- Steath with highly modified A2A-A2G variants in production 3-4 less the cost of F-16s/Gripen/SU-30 (bad choice terrible maintenance even BAF said Mig-29 are hard to maintain).

BAF would be better off picking Chinese export variant J-16 & JF-17 (Block III) by 2024 & onwards a squadron of highly sophisticated stealth. High-Low combination J-16 & JF-17 Block III 2 Squadrons would be sufficient, all under $1.8 Billion, China is always good providing BAF with soft loans.

I did read BAF would get F-7BGI but what is the total cost $75M-$85M. PAC/CAC has no problem with Exports; BAF could have ordered 6 FC-1s and reduced older A-5s the cost of saving could have channeled towards 3 more FC-1s. Strange decisions.

Well, that is given if they'd be offered to us. The JF-17 blk II already sounds impressive. But then, Bangladesh won't be procuring any new aircraft before 2021. So, there's still time.

I don't know man, I have never seen any real pic of the J-16. And I'm sure if we buy it, it might anger the Russians with whom we have good relations.

Here's a conceptual pic of the J-16:
Chinese_J-16_Fifth_Generation_Stealth_Fighter_Aircraft_.jpg

But I do agree, the MiG-29 classic and the F-16 are aging platforms. Hell, the Russians aren't even focusing on the classic MiG-29 right now.

Entering next Decade smaller nations are going for Stealth or Partial Stealth Platforms in smaller numbers, J-16 would be the best platform out there for BAF by 2024 before that BAF could procure JF-17 Block III which would be essentially semi-stealth with alot of modernization for smaller Air Forces, Russians or any other nation should not interfere with BAF's independent Polices. You must remember hindustan can force all these nations US/Russia/Sweden to force sanctions or increase spareparts cost.

I agree, there's still a lot of time. Let's hope for the best in BAF's interests and that of the nation.

For Air Force I seriously would love to stick to China with advanced avionics and radar system from West. i dont know what prompt the govt to consider F-16 or Gripen??? The way things are going and if there were any remote possibility of us to get into conflict with India, then there will be no chance of replenishing those weapons from west. India will try its best to secure a sanction. Weapons are not for show, they are to use in a real war.

Well, that is given if they'd be offered to us. The JF-17 blk II already sounds impressive. But then, Bangladesh won't be procuring any new aircraft before 2021. So, there's still time.
I don't know man, I have never seen any real pic of the J-16. And I'm sure if we buy it, it might anger the Russians with whom we have good relations.

By 2021 means before 2021 Bangladesh will be inducting 2 more squadron and replace existing 3/4 squadron of aircrafts. So more or less 40/50 aircraft will be by that time.
And you never know, changing scenario and government could prompt even more rapid modernization. Before 2008 nobody ever thought of BD going big in defence procurement.

By 2021 means before 2021 Bangladesh will be inducting 2 more squadron and replace existing 3/4 squadron of aircrafts. So more or less 40/50 aircraft will be by that time.
And you never know, changing scenario and government could prompt even more rapid modernization. Before 2008 nobody ever thought of BD going big in defence procurement.

There are important long term implications for such procurement programs. Bangladesh must weight ALL of the factors involved carefully.

I believe, BAF will not go for Mig-29 as there are already so many controversies regarding the 8 mig procurement in 1999. You can understand my view if you look at the Navy procurement pattern. Due to the controversies regarding the Ulsan Mod. class frigate, govt. has moved from Daewoo and on the process of ordering two Jianwei ii class frigate from china. The local media said a lot about the mig and the ulsan class frigate procurement. So, that gives me a vibe that mig will not be the choice.

F-16 is not a good platform for close combat as well as it is a single engine platform. Besides, the US aircraft are like i-phone, anything (dart, dust, stone) can be fatal for the aircraft thus needs more cleaner airports to operate. I have heard from a western aeronautic expert that "US made fighters are like stylish rolex watch that even a tiny stone can be fatal for the aircraft. As such, US airports are kept extremely clean (which is expensive) and Russian fighters are like flying tank. Nothing such stone or dust or paper bag can harm the aircraft and as such the aircraft can perform from some of the less maintained airports in the world".

Bangladesh air force specifically asked for SU-30 to the prime minister. So, I believe, it will be Su-30 that BAF will get. JAS-39 grippen is very expensive aircraft. I dont think BAF will go for that.

Regarding Jet trainers, when BAF is considering Fighters like Mig-29CMT/SU-30/F-16/JAS-39, The trainers for these wont be anything better that L-159 Alca.

I believe, BAF will not go for Mig-29 as there are already so many controversies regarding the 8 mig procurement in 1999. You can understand my view if you look at the Navy procurement pattern. Due to the controversies regarding the Ulsan Mod. class frigate, govt. has moved from Daewoo and on the process of ordering two Jianwei ii class frigate from china. The local media said a lot about the mig and the ulsan class frigate procurement. So, that gives me a vibe that mig will not be the choice.

F-16 is not a good platform for close combat as well as it is a single engine platform. Besides, the US aircraft are like i-phone, anything (dart, dust, stone) can be fatal for the aircraft thus needs more cleaner airports to operate. I have heard from a western aeronautic expert that "US made fighters are like stylish rolex watch that even a tiny stone can be fatal for the aircraft. As such, US airports are kept extremely clean (which is expensive) and Russian fighters are like flying tank. Nothing such stone or dust or paper bag can harm the aircraft and as such the aircraft can perform from some of the less maintained airports in the world".

Bangladesh air force specifically asked for SU-30 to the prime minister. So, I believe, it will be Su-30 that BAF will get. JAS-39 grippen is very expensive aircraft. I dont think BAF will go for that.

Regarding Jet trainers, when BAF is considering Fighters like Mig-29CMT/SU-30/F-16/JAS-39, The trainers for these wont be anything better that L-159 Alca.

The F-16 part sounds reasonable. Especially considering the harsh nature of our terrain.

I don't know man, SU-30s ain't cheap to maintain. It's a twin-engined aircraft in the heavy class category. Any idea what variant they intend to go for? I suspect it might be very similar to the PLAAF variant.

su-30mkk_3view.jpg

Su-30MKK Flanker Multirole Fighter Aircraft - SinoDefence.com

It may complement well with our equipment, which would undoubtedly be Chinese.

Back
Top Bottom