What's new

Bangladesh Air Force is interested in Dassault Aviation's Rafale

Well if it's the case then why BAF even bothered to show interest to Rafale? It's truly surprising!
BAF has shown interest in many jets.Rafale is just one among many others.
As @Michael Corleone bhai said, this showing interest in different jets increases competition which in turn will pressure other vendors to come up with more attractive offers for BAF.It's actually pretty smart.
Also, remember the 2017 8+4 MRCA debacle bhai? The tender was specifically made for ONLY Su-30.There were no other options other than this & that emboldened the Russians to come up with ridiculous demands & price tag for these jets.

BAF has shown interest in many jets.Rafale is just one among many others.
As @Michael Corleone bhai said, this showing interest in different jets increases competition which in turn will pressure other vendors to come up with more attractive offers for BAF.It's actually pretty smart.
Also, remember the 2017 8+4 MRCA debacle bhai? The tender was specifically made for ONLY Su-30.There were no other options other than this & that emboldened the Russians to come up with ridiculous demands & price tag for these jets.

No, no. no....

BAF has shown interest in Typhoon and US jets and that is ample to provide competition.

If this report is true then they are going from one extreme(too little competition) to another(too much competition).

They need to stop messing around and choose quickly - my preference would be ex-German Tranche 1 Eurofighters upgraded with AESA radar to be able to fire Meteor.

No, no. no....

BAF has shown interest in Typhoon and US jets and that is ample to provide competition.

If this reports are true then they are going from one extreme(too little competition) to another(too much competition).

They need to stop messing around and choose quickly - my preference would be ex-German Tranche 1 Eurofighters upgraded with AESA radar to be able to fire Meteor.
You're right,of course.BAF has spent too much time in doing everything except choosing a fighter.
But not to worry brother.Just showing interest means nothing.
As far as I know, BAF has it's eyes set on EFT which will instantly outgun any jets our enemies are fielding & may field in near future.EFT for MRCA is the most likely option,refurbished or otherwise.
Not sure about single engine platform though.MRCA is the current priority.

You're right,of course.BAF has spent too much time in doing everything except choosing a fighter.
But not to worry brother.Just showing interest means nothing.
As far as I know, BAF has it's eyes set on EFT which will instantly outgun any jets our enemies are fielding & may field in near future.EFT for MRCA is the most likely option,refurbished or otherwise.
Not sure about single engine platform though.MRCA is the current priority.

Eurofighter with AESA radar and Meteor is a better air-to-air fighter than Rafale with Meteor.

This plane will give BAF pilots a slight edge over IAF pilots.

Better buy second hand but refurbished F 16 Block 52 as it will be used as stop gap before inducting 5 generation fighters in 2030. The money intended for buying new fighters will be more wisely used to build Bangladesh aerospace industry.

Better buy second hand but refurbished F 16 Block 52 as it will be used as stop gap before inducting 5 generation fighters in 2030. The money intended for buying new fighters will be more wisely used to build Bangladesh aerospace industry.

Yes as they will be cheap to buy and cheap to operate.

Even 2nd hand Eurofighters when upgraded with AESA radar will cost up to twice as much to buy and at least twice as much to operate.

by the way, what are they going for , for the 16 jets ? any official confirmation ?

Just a wishful thought-

I wonder if Bangladesh can go for F-16 Block 60 by leveraging our relationship with UAE? I remember reading somewhere that UAE was looking for buyers to export. I don't know a lot about the specific financial arrangement for this Block between US and UAE, except that UAE extensively funded the development of this block. So, not sure how an export arrangement would play out.

Just a wishful thought-

I wonder if Bangladesh can go for F-16 Block 60 by leveraging our relationship with UAE? I remember reading somewhere that UAE was looking for buyers to export. I don't know a lot about the specific financial arrangement for this Block between US and UAE, except that UAE extensively funded the development of this block. So, not sure how an export arrangement would play out.

Nah, USA would still have a veto over the sale.

The newest F-16 Block 70 with AIM-120D is unlikely as India would object.
Anyway both F-16 Block 70 and AIM-120D are very expensive but the operating costs of the F-16 is still cheap.

Dear dumbo's
The US has say over any European Fighter Jets aka Rafale, Typhoon, Gripen. Whether armaments, electronics, software or engine, one way or other the US has to clear sale of any European Fighter jets.

Anyway what makes you think, Bangladesh Air Guard will buy Fighter Jets? It just remorse from the idiots who think they can spread propaganda in PDF. The PDF also allowed Bangladeshi to spread propaganda. I doubt France will supply Rafale to Bangladesh Air Guard considering Naval Group, Thales and Dassault Aviation will score more wins in India. France won't jeopardize any multi-billion dollars sale to supply additional 36 Rafale to India by selling 8 Rafale to Bangladesh Air Guard.

Why do these dumb people think that Bangladesh will spend $246m on each rafale fighter jet when they failed to procure cheap donkey from Russia and China.

Last edited:
Rafale may be effective against the likes of rugtag Mali / Chad/ CAR rebels without an airforce and SAM systems.

I don't see any possibility of Rafale ending up in BD colors...
As some have mentioned previously this ought to be a BAF stunt to increase competition. Ensuring that the mess that followed after the last tender that left no option other than the Su-30 not happen again.
But honestly, I don't understand why Rafale though. IAF already purchased it. May be to let India think we are allied to them so we are looking for platform synergy. This is the only reason I can think of the supposed BAF interest in the bird.....

FRENCH AIR FORCE CHIEF CALLS ON BANGLADESH AIR FORCE CHIEF

85083461_591210874789952_3043170271235145728_n.jpg

Dhaka, February 09:- Chief of Staff of French Air Force, General d’armee aerienne Philippe Lavigne called on Chief of Air Staff, Bangladesh Air Force, Air Chief Marshal Masihuzzaman Serniabat, BBP, OSP, ndu, psc at Air Headquarters on Sunday (09-02-2020).

During call on, Chief of Air Staff, Bangladesh Air Force, cordially thanked Chief of Staff of French Air Force, for visiting Bangladesh. He exchanged greetings and spent some time with the French Air Chief. They also discussed different issues of bi-lateral interests. During discussion, Chief of staff of French Air Force was briefed on different activities of Bangladesh Air Force. They expressed hope to continue mutual co-operation to strengthen the existing relationship between Bangladesh and French Air Force.

In the morning Chief of Staff of French Air Force visited Shikha Anirban (Eternal Flame) at Dhaka Cantonment and paid homage to the members of Armed Forces martyred during the War of Liberation in 1971 by placing floral wreath at the mausoleum. He also signed visitor’s book there.

On arrival at Air Headquarters, Chief of Staff of French Air Force was presented a guard of honour by a smartly turned out BAF Contingent. He inspected the guard and took salute.

During his stay in Bangladesh, Chief of Staff of French Air Force visited different military and civil installations including Armed Forces Division, BAF Base Bangabandhu and Bangabandhu Aeronautical Centre (BAC).

Mentionable that, Chief of Staff of French Air Force, along with 04 delegation members arrived in Bangladesh on 08 Feb 2020 on a 03 days official visit. It is expected that the visit will play an important role for strengthening the existing friendly relationship between Air Forces of the two countries.

https://www.ispr.gov.bd/en/french-air-force-chief-calls-on-bangladesh-air-force-chief/

Back
Top Bottom