What's new

Ban corrupt countries from cricket - Ex-ICC anti-corruption chief

third eye

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
BBC Sport - Ban corrupt countries from cricket - Ex-ICC anti-corruption chief

Former International Cricket Council anti-corruption chief Lord Condon believes countries who fail to control their players should be banned from international cricket.

Condon was speaking in the wake of the jailing of three Pakistan players found guilty of of conspiracy to cheat and conspiracy to accept corrupt payments.

He told BBC Sport: "The ICC has to give out the harshest sentences it can.

"The nuclear option is banning boards from international cricket."

Lord Condon, the former Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police, was the first head of the ICC's anti-corruption and security unit when it was set up in 2000 following the match-fixing scandal surrounding the then South Africa captain Hansie Cronje.

He added: "The ICC must get tougher. This is a big wake-up call. Cricket is at a credibility crossroads.

"The ICC and national boards have to be tough and, if they are not, they have to face the consequences."

Lord Condon was succeeded by Sir Ronnie Flanagan in June 2010, two months before Pakistan trio Salman Butt, Mohammad Asif and Mohammad Amir conspired to bowl deliberate no-balls in a Test match against England at Lord's.

The trio were given prison terms on Tuesday - ex-Pakistan captain Butt, 27, was jailed for 30 months, while Asif, 28, received a one-year sentence and 19-year-old Amir, who had pleaded guilty, was given six months.

"They deserved the sentences they got," Lord Condon continued.

"I have mixed reactions - sadness but I'm not surprised. They betrayed their country and millions of people around the world who love cricket."

The 64-year-old went on to praise the News of the World newspaper for their involvement in catching Butt, Asif and Amir, who were also banned from cricket for five years by the ICC in February.

He said: "I've congratulated the News of The World because this was a sting that was done very well and I think they have done cricket a great service.

"If the ICC had done this it probably would not have got to court because rules around entrapment are complex.

"The News of The World had the freedom and courage to take this on and, although this was a huge embarrassment, it was necessary."

So does the ex-ICC chief deem anyone else corrupt or is this another Pakistan specific move?

then BAN all south asian countries ... PAKISTAN , INDIA, BANGLADESH , SRI LANKA because corruption is present in all of the

Hey banning whole board just because of one player is bad idea man...
Think if they would have banned India when M.Azzaruddin and Ajay jadeja where caught in fixing,then they would have lost a country which is currently almost ruling the cricketing world (atleast in revenue)...

pakistan is the life of one day cricket.... ban them and send cricket to museum as well. . . .

Woww what seems to be a small incident seems to have big network of anti Pakistan conspirators.

was really surpised to see this much people in the test matches in dubai, after off time that is.

better scrap this game, past so many years of my cricket watching, how many teams we get to play against? hardly 10 and that too 7 or8 teams are worth any game, its getting boring now, same old faces hardly any excitement :( imagine teams like USA, Russia, Israel, china,Brazil, Iran etc etc playing against your national team. would this ever happen???

i agree they should be banned and/or censured heavily but then if that were the case then many countries would be sitting out

me personally, i've been advocating bringing Pakistan to prestige in FIFA. ..we have incredible futbol talent in our country. Just go to Lyari or Makran and see for yourself. Lets diversify our sports portfolio to futbol.

i LOVVVE cricket, but massive changes need to be made.....it went from a gentlemen's sport to a crooked business.

Back
Top Bottom