What's new

Ban cheese imports? Pakistan discusses outside-the-box ideas to avoid IMF bailout

We should immediately and totally ban import of anything that is being produced in Pakistan, especially edible items like juices, jams, chocolates, butter, cheese, chips, clothing, shoes, personal grooming items, etc.

With a population of 220 million people, contact one cell phone manufacturer to setup a plant for total manufacturing (not just assembly) in Pakistan, whoever comes on board gets the full market, ban sales of every other mobile phone, do the same for other electronic items like TV, and household electronics.

While above will reduce/curtail outflow of funds for imports, real solution is to EXPORT. There is no way around this. Promote local industry and incentivize them for exports.

We should immediately and totally ban import of anything that is being produced in Pakistan, especially edible items like juices, jams, chocolates, butter, cheese, chips, clothing, shoes, personal grooming items, etc.

With a population of 220 million people, contact one cell phone manufacturer to setup a plant for total manufacturing (not just assembly) in Pakistan, whoever comes on board gets the full market, ban sales of every other mobile phone, do the same for other electronic items like TV, and household electronics.

While above will reduce/curtail outflow of funds for imports, real solution is to EXPORT. There is no way around this. Promote local industry and incentivize them for exports.
exactly. you should be the prime minister of Pakistan.
When did you get your Phd in economics?

Since the main drain on imports seems to be petrol and oil for vehicles and power plants, wouldn't it be wise to switch to a more sustainable fuel source? (Pakistan ethanol) (Ethanol electricity generators)
I've always wondered why Pakistan does not use the ethanol it produces as a by product of manufacturing sugar. Since Pakistan produces sugar from sugar cane plants, the quality of ethanol would be the best, combustion emission wise. Pakistan has a current capacity to produce about 500 million metric tons of ethanol.

For example, it would cost about £80,000 to run a 250 KW generator for a year (25-30 homes) , which might be a much higher amount spent per unit, but at least its a local by product rather than an import. Obviously more efficient generators are also available, the example provided is for an off the shelf multi purpose one built by Brazil.
There are also cars in production that use 85% ethanol as fuel. (cars that use E85)

Don't ban imports, track people who buy these products and see if they are paying their fair share of taxes. If they have an income to buy these items, they surely have enough to pay their taxes. Banning imports will also cause other countries to put trade barriers to our exports going to them. If you track a person who buys a Mercedes, and their finances, you will see how they earn their money, and if the government has a right to collect taxes. If these requirements are too strong, then these consumers will not buy the item, and you will have blocked their purchase without banning the item.

Play by the new rules or go home, their is a new umpire in town.

Since the main drain on imports seems to be petrol and oil for vehicles and power plants, wouldn't it be wise to switch to a more sustainable fuel source? (Pakistan ethanol) (Ethanol electricity generators)
I've always wondered why Pakistan does not use the ethanol it produces as a by product of manufacturing sugar. Since Pakistan produces sugar from sugar cane plants, the quality of ethanol would be the best, combustion emission wise. Pakistan has a current capacity to produce about 500 million metric tons of ethanol.

For example, it would cost about £80,000 to run a 250 KW generator for a year (25-30 homes) , which might be a much higher amount spent per unit, but at least its a local by product rather than an import. Obviously more efficient generators are also available, the example provided is for an off the shelf multi purpose one built by Brazil.
There are also cars in production that use 85% ethanol as fuel. (cars that use E85)
No no no.....

Never touch food for alcohol...... Come here, we convert coal or gas to fuel - Sasol. If you have coal, then adopt Sasol's process and become fuel independent.

We survived decades of sanctions. Huge dairy, cattle and agriculture industry. Come on men, making cheese is easy stuff.

Impose very high duties on luxury items; encourage local industries and victory will be yours. Ban all import of recondition vehicles and put quota on local content of products like cars, trucks; if you can make it there, you cannot import it period.

Sounds harsh? no, this is what we lived though and thrived;

Two consumable items present in almost every nation, but not in Pakistan, are domestically produced cheese and coffee.

I have always found it strange how we don't have a culture of cheese-making or coffee cultivation. These are fairly in-demand items for our upper class, and we should introduce this in our country.

Granted, we use cheese for mithai but its not the same as gourmet cheese.

Now that we have had this announcement by the Chinese foreign Minister, The Prime Minister Should call out the industries and farms to modernize and maximize production with the electricity and water current allocated to them. They can seek local experts and investors or as a cooperative, seek FDI and expertise from Overseas Pakistanis or foreign experts. These experts and investors should have transparent deals signed as soon as possible, and work underway by the end of the year, if possible. Government owned entities need to be fixed if possible, but if not sold to local investors first, then overseas Pakistanis, and finally to foreign companies.

Overseas Pakistanis like Shahid Khan (Billionaire American owner of the NFL Team Jaguars and maker of 70% of all bumpers sold in the US) have amassed sizable expertise in running a manufacturing business and have their own funds (and connections to US banks; deeper pockets) to finance modernizing factories if they are made as attractive as possible.

Other Pakistanis have expertise in all the various aspects of their fields.

We need to seek out talent, and organize the farms and cottage industries into cooperatives (these small home business can't be overlooked either), where knowledge can be shared, and production increased up. We also need top talent to go to the R&D universities for agriculture and textiles. Fashionable Pakistani attire can be sold in China.

We also need to partner with Chinese experts to understand the Chinese market, and cater like a laser beam for what they want. If we sell Mangoes, We have to learn what processed Mango products Chinese people in each region would enjoy. We produce the product, and partner with a local distributor. We can also work on joint Arts and Culture Projects that will be sold around the world. Pakistani actors and singers in Chinese film and music industry. We have to think as broadly as possible to capture as much of the Chinese market as they will allow.

P.s. just think of our tailors, that make one of a kind suits for men and women. if they were to take a picture of their products, and upload them to a fashion company, that would try to sell the design, or make it for foreign markets in house. the tailor would get a commission on work he has already done. Everyone has a smartphone these days and we are a creative people with creative solutions to everyday problems. why not share it (Sort like the TV show Shark Tank) and maxmize its potential. Singers and comedians on YouTube are discovered every day, why not have the approach to every industry.

It's all about input and output. Obviously if Pakistan makes more money then what it spends then it can spend on local services to uplift the people and improve the defense of the nation. However if the leakage is high and the outflow of money is greater than inflow then we have what the state of Pakistan is at the moment.

Poor circulation of money within society causes imbalance of wealth and creates poverty and it is taxes in the capitalist system that is supposed to lubricate the welfare and health system to optimum performance. Pakistan is a laissez faire system made by the corrupt and greedy to satisfy their extreme lust for power and wealth.

Good, Pakistan cannot afford imports being 3 times more then exports. This will not affect 95% of Pakistan population. And luxury cars are owned by like 0.01% anyway.

I'm sure other countries will understand Pakistan.
I don't understand myself as a Pakistani. When I am not in Pakistan, I am ready to pay extra dirhams for Buffalo cheese on pizza because it's a delicacy, and it makes the pizza extremely delicious. But in Pakistan I prefer imported cow cheese..

I don't understand myself as a Pakistani. When I am not in Pakistan, I am ready to pay extra dirhams for Buffalo cheese on pizza because it's a delicacy, and it makes the pizza extremely delicious. But in Pakistan I prefer imported cow cheese..

Dont worry, someday Nestle ( insert your favorite multinational company name ) will start making cheese locally and then all the mullahs will start calling for boycott of the nestle cheese

However Pakistan faces a crisis on the current account deficit and we must do everything to avoid going to IMF. So given the extenuating circumstances it is good idea to block cheese and other items that Pakistan can do without for now. However long term success will not come by blocking imports but my striving to increase exports. Pakistan really needs to increase exports. All successful countries have depended on exports to drive the economy forward - China, Turkey etc

This thread might be of interest to you that looks at Pakistan's export profile - https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/trading-friends-trading-enemies.576646/#post-10776228

It all depends which countries you are importing this from? If they are also among your main export markets, i.e. Europe, North America, then the possibility of trade retaliation can make Pakistan’s position even worse. This idea works only with countries where there is a massive trade imbalance against you and who is not a contender for more exports. China alone would fit that bill and let’s be honest, no one in Pakistan is about to risk that. Like all quick fix solutions, this looks good on paper till you start reading the fine print.

Dont worry, someday Nestle ( insert your favorite multinational company name ) will start making cheese locally and then all the mullahs will start calling for boycott of the nestle cheese
Loll.. but I don't see Mullah's boycott as a threat for now.. the threat is from the common Pakistanis, as we will then start comparing imported Nestle cheese vs local Nestle cheese..

Aunties in posh areas discuss these things.. "bhaee main tou apnay bachon ko Australian cheese deti hun"..

Loll.. but I don't see Mullah's boycott as a threat for now.. the threat is from the common Pakistanis, as we will then start comparing imported Nestle cheese vs local Nestle cheese..

Aunties in posh areas discuss these things.. "bhaee main tou apnay bachon ko Australian cheese deti hun"..

I meant in the same way as they call for boycott of unilever cocacola etc

Back
Top Bottom