What's new

Ball in Pak's court, talks only if Islamabad acts on Pathankot evidence: Govt

INDIAPOSITIVE

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
India on Thursday made it clear that foreign secretary-level talks with Pakistan will go ahead only if Islamabad acts on the 'actionable intelligence' provided by Delhi on the Pathankot terror attack.

"The ball is in Pakistan's court," MEA spokesman Vikas Swarup said when asked about the fate of the upcoming foreign secretary-level talks.

"Pathankot terror attack has put renewed focus on cross-border terrorism," he said.

"The government's policy towards Pakistan is clear and consistent. India wants friendly relations with all its neighbours including Pakistan," he said.

"But India will not tolerate cross-border terror," he said.

"It will be premature for me to say anything more at this point," Vikas Swarup said when pressed further for India's stand on talks.

India-Pakistan relations saw a new hope when Prime Minister Narendra Modi made a surprise visit to Lahore to meet Nawaz Sharif. PM Modi's surprise visit created goodwill and there were signs of forward movement in bilateral relations.

However, the Pathankot terror attack has once again put the focus on terror.

Ball in Pak's court, talks only if Islamabad acts on Pathankot evidence: Govt - Times of India

India on Thursday made it clear that foreign secretary-level talks with Pakistan will go ahead only if Islamabad acts on the 'actionable intelligence' provided by Delhi on the Pathankot terror attack.

"The ball is in Pakistan's court," MEA spokesman Vikas Swarup said when asked about the fate of the upcoming foreign secretary-level talks.

"Pathankot terror attack has put renewed focus on cross-border terrorism," he said.

"The government's policy towards Pakistan is clear and consistent. India wants friendly relations with all its neighbours including Pakistan," he said.

"But India will not tolerate cross-border terror," he said.

"It will be premature for me to say anything more at this point," Vikas Swarup said when pressed further for India's stand on talks.

India-Pakistan relations saw a new hope when Prime Minister Narendra Modi made a surprise visit to Lahore to meet Nawaz Sharif. PM Modi's surprise visit created goodwill and there were signs of forward movement in bilateral relations.

However, the Pathankot terror attack has once again put the focus on terror.

Ball in Pak's court, talks only if Islamabad acts on Pathankot evidence: Govt - Times of India
Ball is in india court, finish illegal occupation of kashmir and most of the problems will be solved

Told you india will continue talks.. they will still make more dramas like this pthankot to put pressure on Pak..
They expose themselves badly...
Where did they put their balls again?

Sadly talks are on hold...
Perhaps a better way as media was reporting was India Pakistan NSA meet followed by FS meet..
Disengaging the democratically elected GOP wont yield best results.
At the same time i do hope that GOP takes substantial action on the UJC leaders bcz of whom a peaceful solution to many issues cannot be explored.
Any element in India and Pakistan which causes harm to peace process must be dealt with severity to ensure such actions dont get ever repeated..

I strongly wish NSA Janjua and NSA Doval can meet quickly so that FS meet could follow suit, NSA meeting can see some good steps and understanding with which GOP can exterminate elements like UJC

lets see how serious is Pakistan about talks,Pakistan should act on these non state actors they are hurting Pakistan more than anyone else.

Even without Pathankot incident,talks between India Pak has no substance, we have reached a deadlock in 1947 itself.

What are these talks for,Siachen, Kashmir,Sir creek,India has unambiguous stance over these issues,ain't no talk going to change that.

BTW more than 100 + round of talks between India Pak since 47,Lamo.

Terror attacks are gonna continue by hook or by crook. Even MEA knows this. Yet I am appalled at the stance taken by India. If you want to curb cross-border infiltration, just build a wall. And wherever wall cannot be built due to terrain restriction, just man them. I'm sure there will be considerable drop in infiltration cases. Sadly the army brass is against it, since they consider wall construction a hindrance to the forward deployment during war. Some people on both sides are trying hard to stall any peace initiative.

Evidence my foot !
Right now India has nothing to gain from talks while Pakistan wants the Kashmir issue to move forward.

How cute of GOI,,,,,ball in Pak court,,act against terrorist or we wont talk.yeah right just like Hafeez n lakhvi
GOI acknowledged tht its cross border terrorism,,,,but avoided calling thm Pakistani terrorists.
terrorist came,attacked airforce base,,,,we wont tolerate it,,,we retaliate by not talking.
whr r the bigmouths,,ye kar denge,,wo ukhar lenge,,sab thuss.
frm now on,,I hope they keep thr mouths shut

Pathankot Attack: Jaish-e-Mohammed Chief Identified As Handler

India has reportedly identified the chief of Pakistan-based terror group Jaish-e-Mohammed as one of the handlers of the terrorists who launched the deadly weekend attack on the Pathankot Air Force Base, according to the Press Trust of India.

The information on Jaish chief Maulana Masood Azhar, his brother Rauf and two others has allegedly been shared with Pakistan.

The government today made it clear that it expects urgent action from Pakistan on the intelligence shared with Islamabad if talks between the Foreign Secretaries of both countries are to go ahead as scheduled next week on the 15th.

Pakistani premier Nawaz Sharif held a meeting with top intel officers and ministers today to review the evidence that has been shared by National Security Advisor Ajit Doval with his Pakistani counterpart Naseer Janjhua. Seven military personnel were martyred and another 20 injured over the weekend after six terrorists crossed the border into India and entered the air force base at Pathankot, just 40 km from the border.

The Jaish-e-Mohammed was founded by Masood Azhar after he was released by India in 1999 in exchange for passengers on an Indian Airlines flight that was hijacked.

Ammunition and other equipment recovered after the terrorists were killed was made in Pakistan, Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar has said.

The attack at Pathankot, where India keeps fighter jets and attack helicopters, came just a week after Prime Minister Narendra Modi made an unscheduled visit to Pakistan to meet Mr Sharif, a demonstration of the leaders' commitment to speeding up a rapprochement after months of bilateral tension.

I heard about another attack on ia camp in jammu . mominabad district.

I think this is a just request. I think the Indian government needs to be careful in terms of putting it out nicely and in a peaceful manner so the media on both sides doesn't butcher it and turn it into a dividing factor.

There are "hawks" on both sides that don't want peace to be established. So this issue is actually an opportunity to setting up long term peace between the two. I personally think NS will come true and will do the investigation and all. I don't know if tomorrow or 3 days from now should be mandatory though. The talks shouldn't be cancelled, in fact, the talks should include a status from the Pakistani side in terms of what evidence they've received and what are they going to do with it (assuming some real credible details and proofs were shared). But in general, this is pretty legit. A mutual process needs to exist to go after terrorists inside both countries when events happen on one side with proofs of involvement from the other side.

I hope the peace prevails and both parties act maturely and move forward like they have lately been trying to.

Disengaging the democratically elected GOP wont yield best results.

Any element in India and Pakistan which causes harm to peace process must be dealt with severity to ensure such actions dont get ever repeated..

I strongly wish NSA Janjua and NSA Doval can meet quickly so that FS meet could follow suit, NSA meeting can see some good steps and understanding with which GOP can exterminate elements like UJC

Very well written post and objective. I agree with everything you are saying 100%. Talks should never derail, but a status needs to be added from each side into these meetings so any issues like these terrorist attacks can be discussed and a mutual process should be designed to go after these peace-hating bast*ards, no matter which side of the border they exist.

Back
Top Bottom