What's new

Babur Cruise Missile - Database

Bediou is more akin to GPS and nothing to do with tercom.

By the way going through this whole thread I got to know that Pakistan has access to commercial level SAR images from various operators. But using that commercial level contour data will differ from military level resolution requirement and may be higher than 5m resolution. So how does the missile achieve a cep of ~2m.

How Beidou helps in TERCOM ??

The company claims that the GPS can provide positioning with accuracy of up to two centimeters. However, it adds that the accuracy can extend up to five millimeters after post-processing.

Pakistan becomes first country to deploy China’s BeiDou GPS network – The Express Tribune

Any video of launch from this canister ??

Pakistan+Successfully+Tests+Hatf-VII+Babar+Cruise+Missile+from+a+new+caniste+submarine+launched+version.jpg

Fired from a multiple tube launcher

tercom, basically provides the terrain hugging feature to a cruise missile. The better the contour map, the more confident will be a cruise missile to fly close to the terrain. But since Pakistan doesnt have access to military grade terrain maps the ability of babur to fly closer to ground is somewhat restricted. So it wont be so stealthy after all if the missile will have to fly higher to avoid the terrain. Though I would agree about the accuracy wrt bediou and INS.

tercom, basically provides the terrain hugging feature to a cruise missile. The better the contour map, the more confident will be a cruise missile to fly close to the terrain. But since Pakistan doesnt have access to military grade terrain maps the ability of babur to fly closer to ground is somewhat restricted. So it wont be so stealthy after all if the missile will have to fly higher to avoid the terrain. Though I would agree about the accuracy wrt bediou and INS.
TERCOM is based around a radar altimeter and contour maps,rather than GPS.

Terrain Hugging capability can be derived from GPS/BEIDOU or any satellite navigation system,provided the positioning is accurate enough. It may be noted that in satellite positioning,any error in x-y axis or Lat,Long magnifies two folds in z axis or Altitude..
So for GPS/Beidou to Replace TERCOM, The Satellite signal should be continuous and very accurate,or the missile will bite the dust.

I have a query, since BABUR uses TerCOM. It is the map data thats fed into the missile before launch. How does Pakistan have data of something 700kms inside Indian territory. Does pakistan posses a digital 3d map of India. And as far as I know even China doesnt have such high resolution satellite imagery so as to guide a cruise missile over India. Since this kind of map is not available, the efficacy of tercom seems doubtful. Can someone please enlighten me on this one,

Yes. That Dirty work was done by SUPARCO using Commercially available satellite images/ Data,which is very accurate now.

I don't know how beidou helps in tercom(Babur) but i do know Pakistan has military level access to beidou.

The company claims that the GPS can provide positioning with accuracy of up to two centimeters. However, it adds that the accuracy can extend up to five millimeters after post-processing.

Pakistan becomes first country to deploy China’s BeiDou GPS network – The Express Tribune

I know ...... my point was how can Beidou help in development of contour maps for TERCOM ??

I know ...... my point was how can Beidou help in development of contour maps for TERCOM ??

That's where classified info kicks in. No nation discloses how they get contour maps for TERCOM.

That's where classified info kicks in. No nation discloses how they get contour maps for TERCOM.

I am sure Pakistan has those ....... You didnot understand my question .

How Beidou helps in development of contour maps ?? Afterall Beidou is a navigation system not an imaging one .

I am sure Pakistan has those ....... You didnot understand my question .

How Beidou helps in development of contour maps ?? Afterall Beidou is a navigation system not an imaging one .

As per chinese, Beidou provides mapping capability as well

Putting Precision in Operations: Beidou Satellite Navigation System | The Jamestown Foundation

Spaceflight Now | Breaking News | China's Beidou navigation system gets new satellite

Pakistan to have Functioning Global Navigational Satellite System by June 2013

Last edited:
Dr. Samar said there are 5 cameras on babur cruise missile..
Wonder what that means.

@The Deterrent
@Oscar

Hi folks,
i have written an elaborate article on guidance and control system of cruise missiles,which i will be posting in a couple of days! Since a control engineer myself,i have added wee bit of control loops and kalman filtering to elucidate various concepts

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom