What's new

B’desh wants to import hydropower from Nepal

CaPtAiN_pLaNeT

Reaction score
day November 12 2011

ADDU CITY (Maldives), Nov 11 (UNB): Bangladesh has expressed its interest to import hydro-electricity from Nepal to mitigate her power crisis.

Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina expressed the interest during a meeting with Nepalese Prime Minister Baburam Bhattarai at Shangri-La resort here this (Friday) morning.

She said that at present, Bangladesh would like to import 1000 mw of electricity from Sapt-kosi High Dam, which is 110 kilometres off Thakurganon district in Bangladesh.

Nepal's total hydropower potential is 83,000 mw of which 42,000 mw is economically exploitable.

Hasina said Bangladesh is interested to get 10,000 mw of electricity in next 5-7 years by investing in joint venture projects, or equity sharing or direct purchase from Nepal.

She mentioned that during the Indian PM's visit to Bangladesh, it was agreed that countries might take up projects to harness hydropower and water resources on sub-regional or regional basis.

The Prime Minister said Bangladesh, India, Nepal may jointly construct storage reservoirs in Nepal for augmentation of dry season flow of the Ganges.

She said the three countries should implement Sapt-kosi High Dam with augmentation potential of 68,600 cusecs. Some of the 3,500 mw of hydropower produced there could be imported by Bangladesh.

Hasina said Bangladesh hopes that the 'Peace Process' and the drafting of the constitution in Nepal will be successful.

Both Hasina and Baburam Bhattarai undescored the need to increase trade between the two neighbouring countries. "We are improving infrastructure of land customs stations/landports for trade between Bangladesh and India as well as with Nepal and Bhutan," Hasina said.

She added: "We have signed with India an addendum to a MoU of Bangladesh and Indian railways granting Rohanpur-Singabad as an additional route for rail transit to Nepal. Already 50,000 tonnes of fertiliser have been transported through this route as a onetime case.

The Prime Minister said the multi-gauge conversion of Birol-Radhikapur sector by 2012 will mean two rail linkages for trade between Bangladesh and Nepal as well as third country, she said.

She said a standard operation procedure signed between Bangladesh and India during her January 2010 visit to India will allow Nepalese cargo vehicles to enter up to 200 metres from zero point at Bangladandha inside Bangladesh. "It means more trade."

Hasina also said that Bangladesh and Nepal could collaborate in tourism, promote people-to-people contact, and increase the number of Nepalese students studying in private universities in Bangladesh.

She invited the Nepalese Prime Minister to visit Bangladesh at his convenience.

Foreign Minister Dipu Moni, Ambassador at Large M Ziauddin and Press Secretary to the Prime Minister Abul Kalam Azad were, among others, present.

Abul Kalam Azad briefed the reporters after the meeting.

PM Hasina said earlier she wants to increase the generation capacity to 16000 mw by 2015 and she has decided to import 10000 mw of electricity from Nepal. Does it mean that Bangladesh's electric supply capacity is likely to be 26000 mw by 2016-2018...:cheesy: If it is really so then for sure it is a radical increase of electric supply capacity and it will eventually fuel a rapid GDP growth by providing electricity to the industrial sector.

PM Hasina said earlier she wants to increase the generation capacity to 16000 mw by 2015 and she has decided to import 10000 mw of electricity from Nepal. Does it mean that Bangladesh's electric supply capacity is likely to be 26000 mw by 2016-2018...:cheesy: If it is really so then for sure it is a radical increase of electric supply capacity and it will eventually fuel a rapid GDP growth by providing electricity to the industrial sector.

It is nice to see that Bangladesh and India are collaborating this much.

The target that you have said is too ambitious to be reached in 2016. However, Bangladesh needs power from Nepal through India. I would like BD govt to do everything in its capacity to jointly build dams and power stations in Nepal. The dams will not only give us power, these will also stop overflooding in summer and raise the q'ty of water during winter in the rivers that come from Nepal. Personally, I will support even giving India the full transit, if it allows us the unabated supply of power from Nepal.

The target that you have said is too ambitious to be reached in 2016. However, Bangladesh needs power from Nepal through India. I would like BD govt to do everything in its capacity to jointly build dams and power stations in Nepal. The dams will not only give us power, these will also stop overflooding in summer and raise the q'ty of water during winter in the rivers that come from Nepal. Personally, I will support even giving India the full transit, if it allows us the unabated supply of power from Nepal.

is nepal an exporter of electricity???? i didn't know about that...........

is nepal an exporter of electricity???? i didn't know about that...........

I think, India has already invested in Nepalese hydrpower projects and is getting power supply. Nepal and Bhutan both have very high potentiality to produce power. Bangladesh is also contemplating to invest in power plants in and buy power from Nepal.

I think, India has already invested in Nepalese hydrpower projects and is getting power supply. Nepal and Bhutan both have very high potentiality to produce power. Bangladesh is also contemplating to invest in power plants in and buy power from Nepal.

that would be costlier, it would be better if India and Bangladesh could joint work on running water hydropower projects on Ganges and its tributaries in BD

that would be costlier, it would be better if India and Bangladesh could joint work on running water hydropower projects on Ganges and its tributaries in BD

Dude, Hydropower on Brahmaputra (much more powerful in terms of power potential here)? That's impossible. That river cannot be tamed. The dam's loss would be worse if Brahmaputra goes out of control. Bangladeshis are safer importing electricity from Nepal.

Dude, Hydropower on Brahmaputra (much more powerful in terms of power potential here)? That's impossible. That river cannot be tamed. The dam's loss would be worse if Brahmaputra goes out of control. Bangladeshis are safer importing electricity from Nepal.

i have written Ganges, not Brahmaputra, where did u read brahmaputra

Dam building controversial in both countries. You will have to displace a lot of people to build a dam. Also does bangladesh have the terrain to build a dam?

Correct me if I am wrong , but does these places fall under severe earth quake prone areas.

Correct me if I am wrong , but does these places fall under severe earth quake prone areas.

It is usually better to make many smaller dams, rather than very big ones in that case.

I think, your proposal of running water hydrpower is generally good, but, there are certain drawbacks in the context of flat land in Bangladesh. Running water is not available all the time in Bd, and there is little water that runs in the river system during winter. A country needs power throughout the year.

Therefore, there is no alternative than to get power from Nepal, Bhutan and Burma. These countries have high mountains. Power output can be roughly estimated by multiplying Q'ty of water (m3/sec) with the Height of Waterfall (or Head in Meter). Nepal and also Bhutan both have large q'ty and high Head.

Why are you over-emphasising the expenses? Big investment will bring about output of power. This power will generate wealth in my country's factories.

আমরা তো কত কিছুই ছাই কিন্ত দাদা বাবুদের জন্য কোন কিছুই হযনা । নেপাল আমাদের কাছে বিদ্যুত বিক্রি করতে আপত্তি করার কারন নাই কিন্তু কানবকন পথে সেটাই সমশ্যাআ
আমাদের ১০০০ না আরো বেশি বিদ্যুত কেনার দরকার ।

That will have huge implication on the environment of both countries wit will be better if both countries jointly invest in Nepal Bhutan hydro electric project and import electricity from their . this two countries have the potential to produce as many as 40000 MW +/- electricity of which they will need very little .

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom