What's new

Avalanche traps about 150 Pakistani soldiers

Actually, I am formally trained to evaluate all possibilities and have much experience in doing so.

It begins with H and ends in RP and has a couple of similar vowels in between - a favorite of the conspiracy theorists.

This avalanche is a natural disaster, and the heavy loss of life is regrettable indeed.

No one is blaming anybody but one must understand that PA and IA coexist on the same glacier. So any action by them however harmless like using explosives to clear their own peaks of snow could send tremors across the border. Hence some kind of joint verifications must be done to routinely clear the dangerous build up of snow on both sides without any hesitation of the fear of triggering of a war.

Superkaif and Aeronaute (among others), thanks for your concern. i am not among those who have been trapped. However your concern was much appreciated. Thankyou.

So let's get back to business, our trapped friends need lot of prayers and their families need support.

And wait, did i hear someone saying that it was Army's fault as they have 'constructed' the BHQ at a 'wrong' place?

Superkaif and Aeronaute (among others), thanks for your concern. i am not among those who have been trapped. However your concern was much appreciated. Thankyou.

So let's get back to business, our trapped friends need lot of prayers and their families need support.

And wait, did i hear someone saying that it was Army's fault as they have 'constructed' the BHQ at a 'wrong' place?

Any update on the real situation there?

No but there are very good techniques to predict natural avalanches now days and hence it would be good to know if these techniques were being implemented.

Sir, I have a suggesstion.

Can't we equip our soldiers at such heights with body monitors so that as soon as the body temp drops below a certain point, as in the case of the wearer being buried under snow, the sensor would transmit an signal to the base camp giving the exact last known GPS signal?

Body temp keeps fluctuating all the time, in most cases limbs are always colder than they should be, since most blood is directed to the torso. Wouldn't be practical.

Who says it was the NLI who tortured him. There are bad apples in every Army so please take some medication and go back to your room and watch cartoon network.

Wiki says that 6 NLI, whose soldiers are now under snow, was deployed in Drass - Tololing - Kaksar region during the Kargil war. Lt Saurabh Kalia's ill fated patrol was also captured somewhere in Kaksar.

Wiki says that 6 NLI, whose soldiers are now under snow, was deployed in Drass - Tololing - Kaksar region during the Kargil war. Lt Saurabh Kalia's ill fated patrol was also captured somewhere in Kaksar.

Its like saying Indian Army is deployed in Kashmir so all human right abuses are done by them. Most interrogations are done by IB (civilians) and the military gets blamed. Kargil is long over and the guy who planned it, happily comes to India and delivers speeches yet your narrow mind feels glee when the ordinary soldiers who follow orders die? Grow up!

This is sad day for Pakistan... 150 people are dead... :cry: I pray for families..

To all Indian bleeding hearts who are feeling sorry for this incident, please remember that this is the same Northern Light Infantry which was responsible for the inhuman torture & killing of Lt. Saurabh Kalia and his patrol during the start of the kargil war.

The one whose detailed post mortem report wasn't published even when 32 countries pledged to support India's case for War Crimes at the Hague if they did?

Hi,

The high altitude skiers in the united states have come up with a unique device----it is a balloon-----it is worn as a flack jacket----the moment a person is in an avalanche---the mechanism is triggered and the balloon is inflated---

Backcountry Skier Avalanche Air Bag Floatation - YouTube

I don't know if any member has posted it yet or not---

No but there are very good techniques to predict natural avalanches now days and hence it would be good to know if these techniques were being implemented.
It is natural that as summers approaches the probability of avalanches increase. So ofcourse we do practice the passive measure like avoiding move during day hours (as during day the ice would melt at a faster rate and thus can cause slides as opposed to night moves when temperatures are lower and the snow would not slip), and active measures like using explosives to create avalanches (you hit the snow with small bombs and make it slide), but then this place was THE safest of all.

i have been in Gayari sector and i know it inside out. Though the BHQ is well above 14000 ft, but it was located as such that it remained immune to avalanches, but then you know shyt happens. The BHQ is located well away from the neighboring heights with a view that avalanches,which surely occurs as a routine, wont harm it, but as you must have seen from the pictures, this avalanche was huge! So huge that it traveled thousands of meters, not downhill, but over a plain area and still was able to reach the BHQ. Now that's what i would call sheer bad luck!

The Gayong (a neighboring sector) sector is considered more prone to avalanches and it is the most difficult when it comes to weather, and we have always feared that an avalanche might bury localities there, but guess what, the avalanche didnt happen there?!

To me, it's like as if death was stalking these poor souls!

better to buy more and more BMW'z making housing societies etc this Army Heads should buy something which help US (PAKISTAN)....

Buy some Heavy lift Helicopters...

Pointless conflict

THE tragedy of over 130 Pakistani soldiers trapped under an avalanche has seen a massive search-and-rescue operation launched in the most difficult of terrains. Grim as the situation is, hope must not be given up. The round-the-clock effort could yield welcome results. Beyond the immediate tragedy, what the latest news from Siachen has done is to once again bring into focus the mindlessness of the Siachen conflict. Forty years ago, it was so improbable that the two countries could militarily face off in that inhospitable region that the Simla Agreement did not envisage demarcating the territory beyond the now infamous map coordinate known as NJ9842 when drawing the Line of Control. But after the Indian armed forces crept into Siachen in 1984 and moved on to the Saltoro Range to the west, Pakistan, alarmed that India had come so close to Skardu, sent its own troops up to the Saltoro Range. It is impossible to guess how many people have died in the conflict. Both sides closely guard the figures and independent estimates are impossible in an otherwise uninhabited area. But it is believed that the overwhelming number of casualties are caused by the altitude, cold and terrain.

What is obvious is that the conflict continues because of the obstinacy of the Indian Army. More than 20 years ago, Pakistani officials proposed a solution: the undemarcated areas under the Simla Agreement become zones of disengagement with both sides withdrawing their troops without prejudice to their pre-Siachen-conflict positions. However, because the Indian Army has captured territory that Pakistan claimed as its own and because all armies are loath to give up a military victory or advantage, however infinitesimal, the Indian Army insists that Pakistan accept its present positions as official, essentially demanding that Pakistan give up its claim to the territory.

Given the predominance of the Pakistan Army in national security and foreign policy here and the ill-advised choices it has made (Kargil is often cited by the Indian military as an example of why Pakistan cannot be trusted) it may seem that the Siachen conflict cannot be solved outside a broader settlement on Kashmir. However, a push by the Indian political side could see the objections of its armed forces overridden. After all, until recently it seemed like the Pakistan Army would never allow large-scale trade with India to be opened in the absence of a settlement on ‘core issues’.

Hi,

The high altitude skiers in the united states have come up with a unique device----it is a balloon-----it is worn as a flack jacket----the moment a person is in an avalanche---the mechanism is triggered and the balloon is inflated---

Backcountry Skier Avalanche Air Bag Floatation - YouTube

I don't know if any member has posted it yet or not---

MK we use that thing called Beacon-Avalanche (Avalanche transceiver) when individuals moves from one post to another, because the movement of troops takes place mostly in the forward areas around the posts and it is there where avalanches occur the most in routine. This place was the BHQ and considered the most secure place from every point of view (enemy fire, slides etc), and people dont carry beacons here in routine, most importantly we cant afford beacons for every soldiers at Siachen, therefore only when party moves from the BHQ or a post to any other forward post, only then they would wear the beacons and then the beacons would be returned by another party coming back so that the same can be re-used again form another party (what an Army!, we as a Nation are living hand to mouth in every sphere).

This is how are military is meeting its requirements, unfortunately people still think that being a soldier is a luxury.

Back
Top Bottom