What's new

Australian Citizens Should be Exempt from Chinese Laws: Australians Believe

Tigershark

Reaction score
China says no to PM's jail plea Michael Sainsbury, China correspondent From: The Australian May 07, 2011 12:00AM

CHINESE Communist Party leaders have spurned a personal appeal by Julia Gillard on behalf of detained Australian businessman Matthew Ng and will send him for trial charged with embezzlement.

The Weekend Australian has learned that Chinese police referred Mr Ng's case to prosecutors yesterday after an investigation. No date was set for the trial.

"We remain in close contact with Mr Ng's family and legal representatives. We are not in a position to comment any further at this stage," a Foreign Affairs Department spokesperson said last night.

It now appears unlikely that Mr Ng, who is a major shareholder and chief executive of a company called Et-China, will avoid a jail sentence, as most cases referred to prosecutors in China result in a conviction.

The Prime Minister raised Mr Ng's case - along with that of Rio Tinto executive Stern Hu, jailed for corruption - with Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao when she made her first visit to China as Australia's leader two weeks ago.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.
.End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.
The Chinese have previously used such visits to release or shorten sentences of foreign nationals in Chinese custody, but seem to have dropped the practice in recent years.

Mr Ng, a Guangzhou native and Australian citizen, was detained by the Guangzhou Public Security Bureau last November after failing to reach a resolution in a dispute between Et-Chin, listed on London's AIM stock exchange, and the state-owned Lignan Group over assets that Et bought in 2006 and 2007.

The dispute involved the revelation that Et-China had paid less than $10 million for a company that accounted for 97 per cent of the sales of a group that was valued at $86m last July.

It is understood Mr Ng's lawyer and his wife, Niki Chow - who has remained in Guangzhou with the couple's two children - were hoping he would be released to a lighter form of detention, such as house arrest, rather than sent to trial.

commit a crime in china and you will be prosecuted according to law. if not prosecuted according to formal law, you will be prosecuted according to mob law.

keep cool and keep low foreigners. this includes former chinese citizens that now turn their backs on china and exploit other chinese.

I agree , obey the countrys law or dont go there he should know better considering he is chinese born.

BTW where does the title fit in with the story?

Every time an Australian gets arrested committing a crime in China, Australian media goes on an orgy of China bashing, pleading, and wheedling to excuse their citizen from justice. That happened in the Rio Tinto case and this is no different with Australian politicians nagging Chinese officials to free an embezzler.

Australians should and must respect Chinese laws when they do business there, and abandon colonial attitudes of extraterritoriality.

Every time an Australian gets arrested committing a crime in China, Australian media goes on an orgy of China bashing, pleading, and wheedling to excuse their citizen from justice.

Not true actually. The Media doesn't "bash" China. Fair and valid criticism isn't bashing. Australians get arrested in countries like China all the time and the media doesn't pick up on them, it's just the big cases they pick up on.

For example, an Australian mining executive was arrested for supposedly "spying" shortly after turning down a deal with the Chinese Government. This was obvious retaliation for the executive not accepting.

So of course the Media is going to pick up on it and talk about it. As in the case in your original post, the guy hasn't had a fair trial and there is no evidence to support his charge and he is being mis-treated, so of course the media and government is going to get involved.

If a Chinese citizen wasn't given a fair trial and was treated improperly in Australia, the Chiense government would surely get involved.

The Title of this thread is stupid and is just you trying to Bash Australia and trying to turn words around to put a bad light on Australia. The title of the thread is suppose to be the title of the news article. I will report this to the moderators.

Interesting.
You just did what the title said.

No i didn't. Re read what i said.

No where has the Australian government said "Australians should be exempt from Chinese law" Thus, the title is incorrect and not factually valid and is a lie created by the poster to spread misinformation.

He is creating a story out of thin air because he misunderstand the position of our government.

Our government is simply voicing their concerns about the unfair trials and the lack of evidence in regards to the crime. They ARE NOT saying "Australians should be exempt"

So he has basically made up something that is false and everyone knows it's false.

I didn't mention the government.
I just said the title is right about what an Australian would think about the case.

I didn't mention the government.
I just said the title is right about what an Australian would think about the case.

So you surveyed the entire Australian population did you? Please provide the survey data of the 22 million people you interviewed.

Please report away to the mods. You're the only one behaving like a child here. You go so far as to claim every australian tried in China is subject to "unfair trials and a lack of evidence". You believe that all australians should be exempt from chinese laws because by definition, the chinese legal system is unfair. That shows your colonial mindset and your provincial attitude toward all things chinese. China's legal system is fair and just. If you smuggle opium into china, if you cheat, steal, or embezzle, you better be prepared for the legal consequence. To moan and complain in the sensationalist australian media is to mock laws and due process.

You have acted exactly like the title of this thread. I'd call the title VERY ACCURATE.

The Title of this thread is stupid and is just you trying to Bash Australia and trying to turn words around to put a bad light on Australia. The title of the thread is suppose to be the title of the news article. I will report this to the moderators.

Interesting. Who made up the rule saying the title of the threat should be the title of the article? You? The great aussie dictator of Pakistan Defence Forum? :azn: I have faithfully reproduced the writer, time, publisher, and text of the article. If that's grounds for punishment, then you live in a very twisted world. No wonder you can't stomach fair legal systems of other countries.

you trying to Bash Australia and trying to turn words around to put a bad light on Australia.

Untrue. I'm not bashing Australia, just making a fair and valid criticism to Australia's predictable and perennial red-faced anger every time an Australian gets arrested in China. Your politicians then try to wheedle and coerce China to set the criminal free because your media is under the delusion that china's legal system is incapable of delivering justice. Many people find your bald defense of murderers and criminals small-minded and insulting.

If an Australian deals drugs in China, we will execute him the same way Singapore executed another Australian drug dealer, and execute him the same way we executed that British.

There should be no mercy for criminals who go out of their way to cause crimes in a foreign country.

commit a crime in china and you will be prosecuted according to law. if not prosecuted according to formal law, you will be prosecuted according to mob law.

keep cool and keep low foreigners. this includes former chinese citizens that now turn their backs on china and exploit other chinese.
Fair enough...But what crime was committed?

Mr Ng, a Guangzhou native and Australian citizen, was detained by the Guangzhou Public Security Bureau last November after failing to reach a resolution in a dispute between Et-Chin, listed on London's AIM stock exchange, and the state-owned Lignan Group over assets that Et bought in 2006 and 2007.
Businesses routinely failed to reach agreements, so why is this failure a 'crime'? What exactly is criminal in the first place, meaning what exactly are the details in this dispute that would be punishable by the state? To what extent are the violations? What are the damages? Who were harmed?

Or is it more likely that you are more interested in venting your racist hatred and blind obedience to the Chinese government than to fairness and justice?

Back
Top Bottom