What's new

Australia And Pakistan Are In A Huge Fight Over 21,000 Dead Sheep.

PAKISTAN should be permanently boycotted as a market for Australian live exports, a West Australian sheep farmer says.

Bob Ilffa, from the Wheatbelt town of Newdegate, made the comment as the industry braced for an ABC Four Corners program on the recent inhumane slaughter of about 22,000 Australian sheep in Pakistan on health concerns.

The sheep were in limbo for over a month after they were rejected in Bahrain, but further health fears in Pakistan led to them being brutally killed - in some cases buried alive - in two stages.

The culls came after repeated proof by independent veterinarians that the sheep were healthy.

The Fremantle-based exporter Wellard expressed shock when the second cull was ordered on October 20, despite promises from local authorities a day earlier that the remaining sheep would be slaughtered humanely.
Digital Pass $1 for first 28 Days

The pledge came after the company agreed to drop a court injunction seeking to overturn the government-ordered cull.

Wellard immediately suspended exports to Pakistan, which had only ever been considered a contingent market.

Sheepmeat Council of Australia said it was an isolated, unusual turn of events that led to a totally unacceptable outcome.

But Mr Iffla went a step further, saying he would never send sheep to Pakistan again.

"There's no way my sheep will ever be going to Pakistan," he told AAP on Monday.

Mr Iffla said he was in agreement with animal liberationists in calling for the Pakistan market to be snubbed, but did not believe an end to live exports elsewhere was feasible, given the need among many nations to secure protein via imports.

He said he was extremely disappointed with the way the sheep had been killed, especially considering a modern abattoir was readily accessible.

Instead, the animals were clubbed and had their throats roughly slashed in a dusty feedlot.

"Pakistan has done the wrong thing by the industry," Mr Iffla said.

"It's absolutely appalling behaviour by the Pakistanis, who I don't believe we can continue to deal with (the country) because it's just going to wreck the whole live animal trade."

Mr Iffla said his sheep were currently breeding so another wave of lambs was on the way, but after that, he would rethink his business, producing less meat or even focusing on agriculture.

"I don't know where we're going," he said.

"I'm certainly thinking of changing my program to some degree because if we can't make the profit out of live sheep in the manner that we have been, we're going to have to diversify into other areas."

The Queensland Greens reiterated calls to ban live exports, saying it was not within Australia's power to control what happened to livestock once they were outside the country.

Greens Senator Lee Rhiannon wants the federal government to end the trade through the Live Animal Export (Slaughter) Prohibition Bill 2012, but that appears destined to fail in the Senate.

Labor senator Glenn Sterle last month said the Greens were suggesting that with abattoirs back in the north and a boxed meat market in place, everything would be "tickety-boo".

Mr Iffla also said Australia should stop providing aid to Pakistan because of the cull.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...pakistan-boycott/story-fn3dxiwe-1226511005980

The sheep were rejected upon inspection by many gulf countries,that is proof enough that the sheep were diseased..

Those saying the culling was Brutal..can you suggest an alternative way of culling and destroying such large number of useless and dangerous sheep Pakistan had to deal with?

Australia should compensate Pakistan for the expenses and the media drama they caused..

Pakistan should compensate Australian farmers for the 21,000 thousand healthy sheep stolen from port that were then tortured and buried alive.

The Sheep were diseased, they bled from the mouth, eyes, nose and ears and showed deformation of the buccal cavity. There was definitely a valid concern that they could carry Foot and Mouth disease.

The Gulf report states that they had Orf disease. Whatever the case, Pakistan needs to gather evidence, including the Gulf officials, to present its side of the case. Right now, the Australian media is going ballistic and showing only one side of the story.

The Gulf report states that they had Orf disease. Whatever the case, Pakistan needs to gather evidence, including the Gulf officials, to present its side of the case. Right now, the Australian media is going ballistic and showing only one side of the story.

Australian media is reporting the facts.

The fact is that multiple independent veterinarians have repeatedly shown the sheep were not diseased.

All we have seen from Pakistan and Bahrain is 2 reports from government sources.

How could 21,000 Australian sheep have foot and mouth disease? A disease that does not exist in Australia.

Australian media is reporting the facts.

The fact is that multiple independent veterinarians have repeatedly shown the sheep were not diseased.

All we have seen from Pakistan and Bahrain is 2 reports from government sources.

How could 21,000 Australian sheep have foot and mouth disease? A disease that does not exist in Australia.

If some sheep in the herd are infected and they remained in an enclosed space for extended period of time i.e the ship.
There is a great risk that all are now carriers of the disease...There is no way of verifying which sheep is carrier and which isn't..
Instead of crying rape now,Australia shouldn't have tried to cheat Pakistan and other countries they tried to sell the diseased sheep.

Plus its upon the discretion of Pakistan if they want to risk it or not,and nothing wrong with not taking the risk as the disease could have been transmitted to humans,and foe Pakistanis human life is more precious than sheep...

And yes i agree all live stock and meat imports from Australia should be banned permanently.

If some sheep in the herd are infected and they remained in an enclosed space for extended period of time i.e the ship.

No sheep were detected to have any disease by multiple independent vets.

Instead of crying rape now,Australia shouldn't have tried to cheat Pakistan and other countries they tried to sell the diseased sheep.

No diseased sheep were sold as explained above and in my other posts and in media reports.

Plus its upon the discretion of Pakistan if they want to risk it or not,and nothing wrong with not taking the risk as the disease could have been transmitted to humans,and foe Pakistanis human life is more precious than sheep...

The sheeps were not diseased and there was no risk to human life.

Pakistan reported the sheep having foot and mouth disease. We haven't had a case of that in Australia for 100 years.

so now the sheep were stolen from the port ???? i don't understand why this batch has been going port to port also if they were rejected in Bahrain they should be questioned for impacting the exports

Pakistan should compensate Australian farmers for the 21,000 thousand healthy sheep stolen from port that were then tortured and buried alive.

buddy we need compensation for the diseased sheep which was bought and the price for culling, the aussies didnt just land their infected sheep on karachi harbour without been paid

stop dreaming too much sleeping in a desolate corner of the world

and you can ban exports we have no interest in buying your diseased product no one in the gulf should buy your product, bahrain and many arab countries infact rejected your poor diseased shipment, you cheat nations with your poor quality low standard livestock

Very sick and unscientific way of culling, the poor workers were not wearing any masks, gloves etc. while brutally killing the animals. :sick: :tdown:

Very sick and unscientific way of culling, the poor workers were not wearing any masks, gloves etc. while brutally killing the animals. :sick: :tdown:

as if your supar powar country is very cautious about such measures, buddy you are still a third world

stop dreaming shupar powar

Pakistan reported the sheep having foot and mouth disease. We haven't had a case of that in Australia for 100 years.

we bought the sheep, its our sheep, stop crying rivers on how it was cullied, our territory our rules

I don't understand this. If the sheep were healthy why did Bahrain reject them and then Pakistan instead of feasting upon them culled the sheep. Secondly if the sheep were really infected why did Pakistan brought them in from Bahrain. :unsure:

As explained in my post on the first page, the tests done on the animals weren't done correctly. They weren't diseased. Live exports are now suspended to Pakistan and Bahrain.

Even if they were diseased, that's not the proper way of slaughtering animals. The people doing the slaughtering weren't even suppose to be doing it. The sheep were basically stolen from port.

Keep your sheep to yourself next time.

Did you forget your meds today?
genius-meme.jpg

Steal precious aussi sheep, kills them

There were vets on the ship. Totally believable.

I don't understand this. If the sheep were healthy why did Bahrain reject them and then Pakistan instead of feasting upon them culled the sheep. Secondly if the sheep were really infected why did Pakistan brought them in from Bahrain. :unsure:

some private person bought and thought he could buy cheap infected product(because as behrain rejected them, they were bound to be sold cheap) and would profit large

No diseased sheep were sold as explained above and in my other posts and in media reports.

The sheeps were not diseased and there was no risk to human life.

Yup,independent vet sitting in Europe paid by Australian Government didn't find anything wrong with the sheep,that is understandable.Although they never visited the actual sheep or asked for samples via proper samples,just came up with verdicts based on Gawd knows waht..
But Vets on site who could visually see the sheep and examine them did find too much wrong with them...
The visual degradation of ships health as in Bleeding from all the wrong places was evidence enough of the disease.

Why do you think that somebody who spent millions on Buying the sheep would simply cull them? Doesn't make any sense now does it?

What is the point here? The sheep were going to be slaughtered anyways. If it was about the manner in which they were slaughtered, sad though it is, it is how it is done in all of South Asia (not just Pakistan). Butchers aren't a very sentimental lot. If Australia didn't like how their sheep died, the next time they should make sure...err that there is no next time . I also find people commenting about how sad & brutal it is, a little odd. Unless they are vegetarians, this is how exactly slaughter takes place in South Asia. This case appears more brutal because of the number & their attempts to quickly do their job. Sad but true.

Back
Top Bottom