What's new

Attack on Srilankan cricket team in Lahore

im sure they are indians because if they were have been pakista did not done that theynis they will make sucide bomb attack and those who were invoved in lahore masacare they dont used sucide jackets and they have them in bag pack when they ran they leaved it so people thinks that attack is carried out by pakistanis and im sure no indians have guts to wear the sucide jackets any way and india also unhappy with srilankan tour of pakistan i hope and pray that zardari should now open his eyes and show the world that india is also exporting terrorism and when mumbai attack happend some of indian leaders told that pakistan have to pay for this and we should not forgot election in india in corner so they did that to show indian people they took their revenge and so they can win the votes of india

The question is what is Pakistan going to do now? Maybe some external entity (RAW/LTTE) supported the attackers, but why was the attack allowed to happen. There are definitely some Pakistani elements behind the attack, and you cannot turn a blind eye to it. These pakistani elements use the same facilities set up by Pakistan to aid the jihadis.

If Pakistan takes a strong step against fundamentalism and such zealots then such attacks can be prevented in the future.

Sri Lankan team leaves for home

Updated at: 1309 PST, Tuesday, March 03, 2009
30fbaeca873d637e7d49f2ed767514ab.gif
Sri Lankan team leaves for home LAHORE: The Sri Lankan cricket team after the Lahore attacks has left Pakistan for home this afternoon after it was taken from the Gaddafi Stadium through helicopter to the airport.

Special arrangements have been made for bringing the tourists to the airport and a special helicopter of the Pakistan Air force took them from the Gaddafi Stadium to the Lahore airport. Then, they will be sent through a chartered flight to Sri Lanka via Abu Dhabi.

Present at the Gaddafi Stadium to see-off the Sri Lankan players and the officials were PCB chairman Ijaz Butt, director National Cricket Academy Aamer Sohail, chief operating officer Saleem Altaf and other officials.

Sri Lankan players were looking peaceful and happy on this occasion.

The Sri Lankan players were also accompanied with three Pakistani doctors.

This may be recalled that this morning unknown persons attacked the Sri Lankan team through deadly weapons and many cricketers were wounded due to which the Test match going on in Lahore was formally cancelled and the Sri Lankan government has called back the team.

i think the word jihadi is a misnomre. The are irhaabis, terrorists, those fed on a diet of violence and horor. just because they call their misadventures jihad, doesn't make it so. Jihad is something pure and honourable, the defense of the motherland against invaders.

These people are to jihad as george bush was to eloquent speech.

Eyewitnesses to Lahore attack

Eyewitness to Tuesday's attack on Sri Lanka's cricketers in Pakistan say they have been stunned by the audacity of the crime.

The umpires were behind a bus of Sri Lankan players when suddenly they heard gunshots.

"The firing started at about 0840 (0340 GMT) and it continued for 15 minutes. Our driver was hit, and he was injured," Nadeem Ghauri, a Pakistani umpire who witnessed the attack, was quoted by the Associated Press news agency as saying.

Sri Lankan cricketer Mahela Jayawardene told Cricinfo website the bus came under attack as they were driving to the stadium.

"The gunmen targeted the wheels of the bus first and then the bus," he said. "We all dived to the floor to take cover. About five players have been injured and also [assistant coach] Paul Farbrace, but most of the injuries appear to be minor at this stage and caused by debris."

'Shock and despair'

Former England cricketer Dominic Cork - who was providing commentary for the series - said he heard loud gunfire shortly after he arrived at Gaddafi stadium and rushed into the commentary box to see what was happening.

"The Sri Lankan team bus had arrived with bullet holes all over. There was a lot of, obviously, screaming and shouting from the medical staff of the Sri Lankan team. We could see that at least six players at that time I knew had got wounds."

He said the players told him their bus driver was killed instantly by gunfire after armed men attacked their team bus at a roundabout.

"They all hit the ground, then there was shrapnel flying all over," Mr Cork said. He said one of the players remembered thinking, "This is it. I thought I was dead."

With the driver fatally shot, one of the passengers pleaded with a Pakistani police officer to drive them to the cricket ground, Mr Cork added.

"They all seemed to be physically okay, but you can tell they were all shaken up...I'd never seen such a look of shock and despair," he added.

"This is the end of cricket for a long time in Pakistan, maybe even the rest of Asia," he said.

'Lost for words'

Lahore resident Ahmad Hassan told the BBC that he was stuck in heavy traffic, as the police blocked the roads near the cricket stadium as part of the security precautions.

He said he heard two blasts, followed by about 10-15 minutes of continuous shooting. He said he left his car and ran for cover.

"All I could think of was that I might be killed by a stray bullet," he said. "It was the worst day of my life."

Back at the stadium, the cricketers were evacuated to safety by helicopter.

Speaking to Sri Lankan radio station Yes-FM, Sri Lankan squad member Kumar Sangakkara expressed relief that all the players were "completely out of danger".

"Luckily there's nothing serious and everyone is fine," he said.

Punjab Governor Salman Taseer arrived at the scene about an hour after the attack.

"These [attackers] were fully trained people, the way they were running and the kind of weapons they had... they are the same [type of] people who launched attacks in Mumbai. They were no ordinary terrorists."

Australian umpire Steve Davis who was umpiring the match described the attack as a "terrible incident".

"I am lost for words," he said.

BBC NEWS | South Asia | Eyewitnesses to Lahore attack

The mroe i think about the incident, the more perplexed I am.

The MO of this operation does not fit the usual militant attacks in Pakistan.

First and foremost, the target is unconventional. Militants have usually targetted police/army/administration officials or tried to cause random panic. The attack on a specifically sri lankan cricket team seems more geo political. It doesn't seem to help the TTP cause.

Secondly, the fact that the pepetrators were bearded. Conventional militant attacks now use clean shaved individuals, as they can blend back into society. A bearded man stands out, and is easily trackable since the majority of people in cities, esp. Punjab do not wear beards. It is well known that jihadist militants shave their beards before any such operations.

It seems like somebody is desperately trying to show that this was a jihadist militant attack. Who could that be?

in all likelihood, RAW (the most succesful intel. agency in Asia) can not be discounted. It would be an insult to the prowess and reach of RAW to do so.

DarkStar, i dont agree completly. Yes, there seems to be no LOGIC behind this attack. This attack has more "glamor" part attached to it (12 attackers, rocket launcher, etc). Agencies like RAW typically shy from such operations. If i was RAW, it would make more sense to conduct many "hit and run" operation in Pak instead of one big operation. The disadvantages of such high profile operations far outweight the advantages. For one, your investigation agencies will be able to easily crack this one (considering all the attackers ran away). If i was RAW, it would be pretty stupid to execute a plan involving 12 people attacking sportsmen ... im effectively attracting 2 countries to investigate here.

The question is what is Pakistan going to do now? Maybe some external entity (RAW/LTTE) supported the attackers, but why was the attack allowed to happen. There are definitely some Pakistani elements behind the attack, and you cannot turn a blind eye to it. These pakistani elements use the same facilities set up by Pakistan to aid the jihadis.

If Pakistan takes a strong step against fundamentalism and such zealots then such attacks can be prevented in the future.

That was exactly our point when Mumbai was attacked and surely now Pakistan should not only focus on terrorists inside its borders but on those elements also who are supporting these terrorists from outside.

Attack bore LeT signs: Experts

Vicky Nanjappa
March 03, 2009 14:27 IST

The attack on Lankan cricketers in Lahore [Images] bear the signs of a Lashkar-e-Tayiba-style attack, terror experts say.

Experts say it is typical of the LeT to carry out such attacks after security agencies cracked down on its leaders.

The attack, they say, goes on to prove that despite claims of dismantling its top leadership, the outfit is capable of striking at will.

Following the crackdown, there were reports that the outfit was down and out. Intelligence Bureau officials earlier said the LeT would try to hit back following the crackdown.

"They could have carried out a blast or a fidayeen attack on any city in Pakistan, but that would not have given them the necessary international attention they always seek for. The Lashkar knew for a fact that targeting a touring team would get them the attention and it would be a message to the world that the crack down on their outfit has made no difference to them.

Experts say that looking at the attack one thing is clear that the operation did not go as planned. LeT's plan was to take over the stadium and create havoc. However, they were stopped by security agencies.

A strong message has been sent to the Pakistan government, which according to the Lashkar, is bowing the diktat of the US and cracking down on its camps.

Experts say this would also mean the end of cricket by a foreign country on Pakistan soil for a long time. Worse, Pakistan will not get to co-host the World Cup which would mean that there would be more revenue loss.

As of now, it seems the attackers came in from the Murdike camp of the Lashkar-e-Tayiba [Images]. This is one of the major camps of the Lashkar and due to its proximity to Lahore, the men were sent in from that camp. The men who attacked Mumbai [Images] too were trained at the same camp.

Attack bore LeT signs: Experts

A few months back during mumbai attack RAW was a complete failure as discussed in this forum by pakistani think tanks. Now all of a sudden RAW is discussed in this forum as the most successful agency in south east. with some baseless comments.

today along with the attack on cricketers there were 1 major blasts and 3 minor along the border as well as 3 armymen critically injured in SWAT. Why not include them as atcs of RAW itself? Is the threat form terrorists something new? there were warning from Al-qaida all along the year and all teams refused to come to pakistan. Might be some RAW there as well ?

Sadest thing is that innocent cricketers are hurt and securitymen killed but how many terrorists were cought alive or killed among the 12 who were firing? In Mumbai all were killed except 1.

Praying god to spare the life of the innocent cricketers.

Why would LeT harm Pakistan or Sri Lanka, their beef is with india and india's occupation of Kashmir.

See when mumbai attack happened. i think even if the Indian media and politician said -ITS ATTACK FROM PAKISTAN- i think that means nothing - hypothetically speaking even if its true that some Pakistani state actor were involved in it - HOW DOES THAT MADE THE DIFFERENCE.
SAME Theory can be applied here-
even if Raw is involved - that doesnt take away the fact : There were certain failure from- intelligence, and goverment .
This So called Jihadi monster need to be killed first and solves the issues inside own house.
Pakistan;s biggest enemy is living inside pakistan- need to understand this - Arms and weapon availability , porous border at afghan side and letting anybody and everybody inside pakistan - These are security lapse and hence this situation occured!

I hope pakistan wake up after this - and we see big changes which will be good for everybody.

i think the word jihadi is a misnomre. The are irhaabis, terrorists, those fed on a diet of violence and horor. just because they call their misadventures jihad, doesn't make it so. Jihad is something pure and honourable, the defense of the motherland against invaders.

These people are to jihad as george bush was to eloquent speech.
Dear DS, point taken.

The mroe i think about the incident, the more perplexed I am.

The MO of this operation does not fit the usual militant attacks in Pakistan.

First and foremost, the target is unconventional. Militants have usually targetted police/army/administration officials or tried to cause random panic. The attack on a specifically sri lankan cricket team seems more geo political. It doesn't seem to help the TTP cause.

Secondly, the fact that the pepetrators were bearded. Conventional militant attacks now use clean shaved individuals, as they can blend back into society. A bearded man stands out, and is easily trackable since the majority of people in cities, esp. Punjab do not wear beards. It is well known that jihadist militants shave their beards before any such operations.

It seems like somebody is desperately trying to show that this was a jihadist militant attack. Who could that be?

in all likelihood, RAW (the most succesful intel. agency in Asia) can not be discounted. It would be an insult to the prowess and reach of RAW to do so.

Exactly and no suicide bombings were used in this attack, they were using the same weapons used in mumbai attacks.

Also indian members on this forum think now india has full control over world cup 2011 and the people behind this attack want Pakistan's and Sri Lanka's friendship to break. Taliban has no beef with Sri Lanka or World Cup 2011.

The LeT angle has been trown in by the Bharatia media, in order to confuse the west. LeT has never launched any such attack in Pakistan. It is not the 'sign' of an LeT attack, which is a disbanded force anyway. LeT does not exist anymore.

I am not trying to pin the blame to anyone, but the funding, weapons, and logistical support has to come from somewhere. And everything points towards Bharati involvement, via its consulates in Afghanistan.

Its about time, the gung-ho Pakistanis of this forum restrain themselves !!
GOP has not made any statements linking any Indian hand to this dastardly episode.
Once the investigation starts, then only facts can be correlated and Pakistan can zero down on the terrorists !
Sure this can be RAW inspired but there are also many other suspects like the LET , Taliban etc.
In fact GOP has been remarkly restrained vis a vis GOI (led by Pranab Mukherjee) re. Mumbai attacks. Geo TV and other Pakistan TV have also been restrained and they have covered the event not speculated like the Indian media during 26/11.

Its about time, the gung-ho Pakistanis of this forum restrain themselves !!
GOP has not made any statements linking any Indian hand to this dastardly episode.
Once the investigation starts, then only facts can be correlated and Pakistan can zero down on the terrorists !
Sure this can be RAW inspired but there are also many other suspects like the LET , Taliban etc.
In fact GOP has been remarkly restrained vis a vis GOI (led by Pranab Mukherjee) re. Mumbai attacks. Geo TV and other Pakistan TV have also been restrained and they have covered the event not speculated like the Indian media during 26/11.

Please do some research about LeT and Taliban before making a post about these two organizations on this forum.

LeT doesn't have any problems with Pakistan or Sri Lanka. Their problem is with India and India's occupation of Kashmir.

Taliban also doesn't have any problems with Sri Lanka or cricket, in fact when they ruled Afghanistan they encouraged boys to play cricket. They are only intersted in sharia law.

It doesn't make any sense at all for these two organizations to carry out this attack.

Back
Top Bottom