What's new

Assam violence: Death toll rises to 41; 1.5 lakh displaced

pak-marine

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Assam violence: Death toll rises to 41; 1.5 lakh displaced, many flee to neighbouring Bengal

Edited by Prasad Sanyal | Updated: July 25, 2012 16:37 IST

Assam_latest_120x90.jpg

Guwahati: Assam is on an edge. There have been fresh clashes and cases of arson and more people have died in ethnic violence. Shoot-at-sight orders are in place in four districts.
Here are the latest developments:

Six more people have died today in clashes between minority Bangladeshi immigrants and Bodos in four districts of lower Assam; 41 people have died in the ethnic strife since Friday, July 20.

Entire villages have emptied out after houses were burnt down. Buses, cars and schools were set afire too.

In the last four days since clashes began, over 1.5 lakh people have had to flee their homes. Many of the homeless have taken shelter in government schools and buildings.

Over 10,000 people have reportedly escaped into neighbouring West Bengal. Trains have been targeted and for two days now, the entire North-East has been cut off by rail.

On Tuesday, some unidentified persons pelted stones and attacked the coaches of the Guwahati-bound Rajdhani at Gossaigaon in Kokrajhar district. Four coaches of the train were damaged; it was turned back to Coochbehar in West Bengal. No trains have been able to enter Assam since yesterday; Eight Assam-bound trains are stuck in West Bengal's Jalpaiguri district. Some trains have halted at Guwahati station and haven't moved since. Three North-East bound trains from Kolkata have been cancelled today. Long haul trains like the Brahmputra Mail between Delhi and Dibrugarh have been cancelled.The Railways estimate that more than 30,000 train passengers were stranded in different places since Monday. Many of them have made alternative arrangements, some buying expensive air tickets. More than 10,000 passengers are, however, still stranded at stations, grateful for any food they can come by. Trucks with essential supplies are also stuck on highways that lead into Guwahati.

In Guwahati, Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi held a meeting of government officials, including the chief secretary, to monitor the situation. Assam's police chief, J N Choudhury, visited the violence-hit districts and met top security officers. There has been curfew in the four districts since the weekend. Curfew was relaxed in Kokrajhar district from 8 am to 12 noon today, but has since been reimposed indefinitely. Curfew has also been extended indefinitely in Chirang and Dhubri districts where night curfew had been in place so far. The situation had been tense since early July when two migrants were killed. Two more were killed on July 19, but police failed to identify the killers. On Friday last, July 20 four former Bodo Liberation Tigers men were killed. The Bodos retaliated by attacking migrants.

Why can't people just share instead of being stingy in their resources: land, food, money etc? Let's embrace the spirit of Ramadan a little.

The funny part is the violence was started by illegal BDesis and Bodo counter attack has left 30-31 of them dead.Hope they will be scared by the ferocity of the Bodo Patriot counter assault and flee back to bangladesh.

Anyways this must be the 10th thread on same topic.

Among 41 how many of them are Indians? I hope none. Bodo's brothers would be safe I think and BDeshi security is absolutely not our problem.

Among 41 how many of them are Indians? I hope none. Bodo's brothers would be safe and BDeshi security is absolutely not our problem.
Around 9-10.:tdown:
And I do not care about the other 30 others as they are bangladeshi and their safety and security is none of our problem.

Ethnic clashes in India kill dozens, displace thousands

120725055721-fire-assam-story-top.jpg

Firefighters put out a fire in a house set alight by rioters in Kokrajhar district in the northeastern state of Assam, India, Tuesday.

Tribespeople and Muslim settlers have attacked and counterattacked
There is a history of animosity between the two groups
Police say they fired on mobs engaged in rioting and arson, killing five
The Assam region, known for its tea, is a particularly poor part of India

New Delhi, India (CNN) -- Ethnic clashes in India's northeastern Assam province have left 32 dead as of Wednesday and sent an estimated 150,000 fleeing their homes to escape the violence, police said.
Long-standing tensions between the predominant Bodo tribes people and minority migrant Muslim settlers erupted into bloodshed nearly a week ago and has largely gripped the province's Kokrajhar district, which borders on neighboring Bhutan to India's north, said Assam police chief J.N. Chaudhury.

What sparked the mayhem is not yet known and under investigation, he said. But it has resulted in incidences of attacks and counter attacks between the two groups, CNN sister network CNN-IBN has reported.
Five of those killed died when police fired on mobs engaging in rioting and arson, according to Chaudhury, who said that the district had witnessed similar fighting in the 1990s and the early 2000s.
"For now, our priority is to stop the violence and arson. It may take some days to rebuild trust," he said.
Peace committees were set up between tribal and migrant communities when clashes erupted in the past, Chaudhury said.
The Assam region, known around the world for its tea production, is also a major petroleum supplier, but the region has remained particularly poor.
For now, our priority is to stop the violence and arson
J.N. Chaudhury, Assam police chief
India is known for its diverse mixture of cultures, religions and ethnic backgrounds, which at times has led to conflict between groups.
Assam has a high concentration of extremist groups of varying backgrounds, reflecting a checkerboard of ethnic and political interests. But police have not blamed any insurgent group in this week's violence, citing instead rioting mobs.

Around 9-10.:tup:
And I do not care about the other 30 others as they are bangladeshi and their safety and security is none of our problem.

I think its a big loss for us RIP to them. Some illegal migrants killing fellow Indians our govt. simply acting as spectator damn, congress govt. should be banned from Indian political arena.

People must share their resources in their own countries..not in neighboring countries !
I'd accept that when people chose their country of birth. Till hten, everybody is welcome in my country, and I expect everyone else to share the Earth with each other.

why media is trying to paint it ethinic riots .. ? these are religious riots with muslims

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom