What's new

Assam violence death toll rises to 21, shoot-at-sight order issued

The Chaddi Baniyas should take a note of this below article. I am not :eek: after seeing this.

20% of banned hate sites put up by Hindu groups - The Times of India

20% of banned hate sites put up by Hindu groups

NEW DELHI: The clamour over Pakistan fanning communal passions in India through social networking sites has missed a crucial detail. Around 20% of the web pages — blocked by government agencies — were uploaded by right-wing Hindu fundamentalists seeking to polarize the country on communal lines.

In these posts doctored images or videos showing alleged atrocities against tribal Bodos by Muslims have been tagged with provocative captions and point to extremist Hindu groups trying to fish in troubled waters to target minorities and fan tensions.

Sources in agencies involved in scanning internet and blocking inflammatory web pages say several posts had pictures or videos of Tibetans self-immolations in protest against Chinese occupation. These posts were, however, captioned as atrocities against "Assamese Hindus" by "illegal" migrant Muslims.

"Several images had been cropped in a way to obliterate the background that could have revealed the actual context of the pictures," said an official.

Agencies have also found clues indicating a large number of SMSs that spread panic among the northeast Indians living across the country were also generated by fringe Hindu groups. The panic led to a mass exodus of people from the north-east from several cities, including Pune, Bangalore and Chennai.

"Everyone is trying to ride the Assam conflict bandwagon for their own parochial and political gains. Right-wing Hindu groups have played a major role in spreading panic among the north-easterners," said the official.
Their portrayal of all Bodos as Hindus is also inaccurate as some are Christians.

Sources said days before the exodus from Bangalore began, rabid SMSs about killing of four persons from the north-east and a fatwa being issued against people from the region started doing the rounds. These messages are suspected to have been spread by right-wing groups too.

A recent input from Bangalore about three women planning to bomb a train turned out to be a red herring. Later, the input was traced to an activist of Bajrang Dal.

Videos allegedly showing unfurling of a Pakistani flag on August 15 in Hyderabad were uploaded questioning the integrity and patriotism of Muslims in the Indian city. The video was found to be that of Pakistan's Hyderabad.

Another right-wing group, inspired by Dara Singh, the killer of Australian missionary Graham Steins, called the Assam conflict a handiwork of Christian missionaries who have allegedly armed Bodos.

"Several right-wing groups are trying to increase their influence in the north-east. Some mainstream groups too have been trying to woo tribals across the nation and so have openly pledged support to Bodo struggle. They see the present conflict as the best situation to make inroads in the north-east. The attempt is also at polarizing the entire nation as Indians versus immigrant Muslims to gain political ground," said the official.

Several Hindu groups have also come forward to help fleeing north-easterners. RSS and certain other Hindu outfits arranged for food and other services for north-easterners fleeing Bangalore. They even exhorted them to not to flee as the group would protect them.

The ABVP even set up 24-hour helplines in 20 cities across India for students from the north-east. Bajrang Dal too called bandhs in riot-affected districts in Assam.

What does Govt of India has to say about this ? :azn: ... Since of course according to them , Pakistan was responsible for all the violence and mass exodus ...

NMC entrenching minority victimhood

By Kartikeya Tanna

small-25aug1.jpg

The National Commission of Minorities (NCM) has stirred up a hornet’s nest by coming up with a report which indicates an excessively skewed focus on the condition of Muslims in the recent Assam riots. A team representing NCM visited the riot-hit areas in Assam to prepare a report on the condition of minorities. As NitiCentral reported yesterday, the NCM has effectively reduced the Assam riots to Bodos vs Muslims where Muslims are seen as the minorities and Bodos the majority.

Asian Centre for Human Rights has criticized the NCM’s report alleging that (a) the NCM’s identification of “minorities” for the purpose of this report is flawed (even though my view is that the NCM Act is to be blamed for such infirmities); (b) NCM did not ensure parity during its field visit in that while it visited six Muslim relief camps, it visited only one Bodo camp, thus revealing a pre-determined exercise which undermined the fact that even Bodos are as affected as the Muslims; and (c) the ill-timed release of this report at a time when restraint and responsibility was paramount has added fuel to the fire.

This is not the first time the NCM has revealed its intention to go to any lengths to secure what it considers right without any regard to the sanctity of our nation’s institutional framework. A private complaint brought before it by a Muslim woman in Gujarat who was unable to return to her village after a mob destroyed their homes and looted belongings was also the subject matter in a pending case before the Gujarat High Court as well as a part of a petition filed in the Supreme Court by the National Human Rights Commission.

Yet, instead of dismissing the complaint as per its own rules (of not taking up matters which are subjudice), the NCM had agreed to conduct a “fuller examination” by summoning Kuldeep Sharma, Rahul Sharma and RB Sreekumar – all three IPS officers known for their anti-Modi stand. It even encouraged IPS officer Sanjeev Bhatt to sophistically expand the scope of this otherwise narrow complaint to the larger conspiracy behind the initiation of the 2002 riots by involving Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi.

While the NCM finally dismissed the complaint in the third hearing, reportedly after a letter from the Attorney General, its reasons for dismissing the complaint are a cause of concern.

The NCM did not dismiss the complaint because the same subject matter was pending before the Indian courts or that the “larger conspiracy” involving Narendra Modi was being investigated by the SIT and dealt with by Indian courts. In fact, the NCM left it to its own “discretion” and “propriety” on whether it should take up such matters which are being dealt with by Indian courts.

Rather, it dismissed the complaint on the frivolous ground that it does not have the powers to “investigate” further into the matter when, under Section 9 of the NCM Act, it has some powers to inquire. Hypothetically, therefore, even if a Muslim from Assam has filed a petition in Indian courts, the NCM can still take up his matter if, in its “discretion”, it deems fit.

Such overzealousness on the part of the NCM indicates a serious lack of objectivity in its dealings. When NCM initiates a parallel inquiry into an area where the Supreme Court and the SIT is already involved, it effectively signals to the nation’s Muslims that it does not have trust in these bodies.

And, with this alarming lack of objectivity, some of its actions can end up having a similar impact to that on Azamgarh Muslims who have been reminded by Congress leaders like Digvijay Singh of how the Home Minister’s conclusions on the Batla House encounter are untrustworthy. While Digvijay Singh is widely known to be a loose cannon, the NCM has been envisaged as a responsible institution holding a mandate under a law passed by our Parliament.

It was never envisaged that this “effective institutional arrangement”, as the Ministry of Home Affairs Resolution dated January 12, 1978 indicates, would have the authority to overrule other institutions in the quest for championing minority rights. May be, the NCM often finds itself irrelevant in the presence of courts, parliamentary committees, inquiry commissions and human rights bodies.

And, perhaps, it might well be. The right to implement “safeguards for minorities”, however, does not mean entrenching a sense of victimhood among India’s Muslims. Being a part of India’s institutional framework, it must perform the role of integrating Indian Muslims into the mainstream. The NCM is getting perilously close to achieving the former.

The Chaddi Baniyas should take a note of this below article. I am not :eek: after seeing this.

20% of banned hate sites put up by Hindu groups

NEW DELHI: The clamour over Pakistan fanning communal passions in India through social networking sites has missed a crucial detail. Around 20% of the web pages — blocked by government agencies — were uploaded by right-wing Hindu fundamentalists seeking to polarize the country on communal lines.

In these posts doctored images or videos showing alleged atrocities against tribal Bodos by Muslims have been tagged with provocative captions and point to extremist Hindu groups trying to fish in troubled waters to target minorities and fan tensions.

Sources in agencies involved in scanning internet and blocking inflammatory web pages say several posts had pictures or videos of Tibetans self-immolations in protest against Chinese occupation. These posts were, however, captioned as atrocities against "Assamese Hindus" by "illegal" migrant Muslims.

"Several images had been cropped in a way to obliterate the background that could have revealed the actual context of the pictures," said an official.

Agencies have also found clues indicating a large number of SMSs that spread panic among the northeast Indians living across the country were also generated by fringe Hindu groups. The panic led to a mass exodus of people from the north-east from several cities, including Pune, Bangalore and Chennai.

"Everyone is trying to ride the Assam conflict bandwagon for their own parochial and political gains. Right-wing Hindu groups have played a major role in spreading panic among the north-easterners," said the official.
Their portrayal of all Bodos as Hindus is also inaccurate as some are Christians.

Sources said days before the exodus from Bangalore began, rabid SMSs about killing of four persons from the north-east and a fatwa being issued against people from the region started doing the rounds. These messages are suspected to have been spread by right-wing groups too.

A recent input from Bangalore about three women planning to bomb a train turned out to be a red herring. Later, the input was traced to an activist of Bajrang Dal.

Videos allegedly showing unfurling of a Pakistani flag on August 15 in Hyderabad were uploaded questioning the integrity and patriotism of Muslims in the Indian city. The video was found to be that of Pakistan's Hyderabad.

Another right-wing group, inspired by Dara Singh, the killer of Australian missionary Graham Steins, called the Assam conflict a handiwork of Christian missionaries who have allegedly armed Bodos.

"Several right-wing groups are trying to increase their influence in the north-east. Some mainstream groups too have been trying to woo tribals across the nation and so have openly pledged support to Bodo struggle. They see the present conflict as the best situation to make inroads in the north-east. The attempt is also at polarizing the entire nation as Indians versus immigrant Muslims to gain political ground," said the official.

Several Hindu groups have also come forward to help fleeing north-easterners. RSS and certain other Hindu outfits arranged for food and other services for north-easterners fleeing Bangalore. They even exhorted them to not to flee as the group would protect them.

The ABVP even set up 24-hour helplines in 20 cities across India for students from the north-east. Bajrang Dal too called bandhs in riot-affected districts in Assam.

But in the midst of all the din you are forgetting something important. None of the Hindus groups were involved in any riots in the past 3 weeks - either in the participation of desecrating Mumbai war memorial or Lord Buddha and Lord Mahavira statues desecration. So the fringe hindu groups have not succeeded in what they planned to accomplish while the muslim fundamentalist groups have accomplished what they planned. Isn't it a stark contrast? And let me know what does that tell you.

But in the midst of all the din you are forgetting something important. None of the Hindus groups were involved in any riots in the past 3 weeks - either in the participation of desecrating Mumbai war memorial or Lord Buddha and Lord Mahavira statues desecration. So the fringe hindu groups have not succeeded in what they planned to accomplish while the muslim fundamentalist groups have accomplished what they planned. Isn't it a stark contrast? And let me know what does that tell you.

A self-proclaimed 'centrist' over here doesn't seem to love the article posted over here I guess(There is a reason I am saying this to you), but anyways coming to the point I must say Hindu fundamentalists are more brainy than the brawny muslim fundamentalists atleast there tactics prove the point. What did muslim fundamentalists accomplish by desecrating various places. Well practically nothing except proving why they are called fringe elements and how dangerous they are in a civilized society... But hindu fundamentalists stuck to the plan i.e. plan of sowing hatred and distrust between north easterner non-muslims and muslims, a step towards making political inroads in north east and getting a step closer to their overall agenda...

MY TAKE ON WHY KANCHAN GUPTA WAS TARGETED

B.RAMAN

I have known Shri Kanchan Gupta since 2000. I was a member of the National Security Advisory Board (NSAB) from 2000 to end-2002. He was working in the PMO under Shri Brajesh Mishra, the then Principal Secretary to Prime Minister Shri Atal Behari Vajpayee and National Security Adviser. Kanchan used to attend meetings of the NSAB on behalf of Shri Mishra.

2. Kanchan then went on a posting to the Indian Embassy in Cairo and we lost touch with each other. After his return from Cairo on the completion of his posting, I ran into him in 2008 -, before the 2009 elections, at a policy brain-storming organised by Shri Dayananda Sarawathi at a tourist resort near Ahmedabad. Among those who attended were Shri Narendra Modi, Chief Minister of Gujarat, Shri Mohan Bhagwat, the present chief of the RSS, Shri Ram Madhav of the RSS, Shri Arun Shourie, Shri Kanchan Gupta, Mrs. Nirmala Sitharaman, the present spokesperson of the BJP, Shri Ajit Doval, former Director, Intelligence Bureau, Shri Prakash Singh, former Director-General of the Border Security Force, and many other retired public servants. Shri L.K.Advani was to attend, but did not.

3. I was invited to make a presentation on Pakistan, which I did. One of the sessions was devoted to a discussion on what should be the media strategy of the BJP. There was a feeling amongst some of the participants that the mainstream media was not giving sufficient opportunity to the BJP and other right-wing forces to air their views on matters of national interest and even if they did on some occasions, there was a distortion of their views. It was suggested by some participants that the BJP could get over this handicap by making good use of the online media.

4. I notice that the BJP, the supporters of Shri Modi and other right-wing elements have since been trying to do so with the help of IT-savvy supporters of the Hindutva ideology in India and the US. In fact, it has been my impression that the Hindutva elements have had a head-start over the Congress in the use of the online media, including the social media networks, for the dissemination of their ideology and points of view.

5. After the meeting in 2008, I have not met Kanchan again, but we have been in touch with each other off and on through E-Mail and Tweets. We hold each other in great esteem despite differences in the way we view and analyse developments of national interests I have always thought of Kanchan as patriotic and upright. I consider him an individual of high intellectual integrity.

6.Kanchan recently resigned from “The Pioneer” in which he was holding a senior position and took charge of a new online news journal. Sometime later, I received an E-mail from a journalist working for a New Delhi-based journal which had played an active role in the witch-hunt and inquisition of Barkha Dutt of NDTV towards 2010-end. He said in his mail that he was planning a story on the BJP’s Net-based media strategy and wanted to have a discussion with me on this. His request was triggered by some comments tweeted by me some months ago on the 2008 brain-storming. Subsequently, I had also tweeted drawing attention to a report carried by Rediff on the likely net-based media budgets of the BJP and Shri Modi. I did not reply to him.

7.When I went online early on the morning of August 23,2012, I noticed some Tweets alleging that Kanchan’s Twitter line had been blocked on the orders of the Government. But, I was able to access it. However, his TL remained frozen at midnight of August 22. I tweeted to Kanchan to find out the facts. Some of my followers, who had seen this Tweet, replied that while some Internet Service Providers (ISPs) seemed to have blocked his Twitter Line, some others have not.

8. In reply to my Tweet, I received a Tweet from Kanchan by DM. I was surprised he did not reply in the normal manner , but instead chose a DM.

9.Subsequently, I saw in the media the photocopies of the four Memos issued by the Government to Internet Service Providers directing them to block certain web sites and Twitter lines. I noticed three odd features in these communications:

( a ).None of them was typed on an official letterhead.

( b ).None of them carried the stamp of the issuing Department.

( c ).While two of them spelt out at the bottom Tele/Fax and gave the numbers, two others carried pictures of a telephone and a Fax machine and gave the numbers against them.

10. I just wanted to draw the attention of my readers to these odd features. This should not be interpreted to mean I doubt the authenticity of these communications. I would like to underline that the Government itself has not denied their authenticity.

11.While three of the communications directed the blocking of the sites/lines of Islamic organisations, either in India or Pakistan, the fourth included the Twitter lines of some Hindus/Hindu entities too and asked for them to be blocked. My assessment from this is that after having initially targeted some Islamic sites/lines, the Government wanted to convey an impression to the Muslim community that it was being objective by bringing some Hindus/Hindu entities too in the lists.

12. It needs to be noted that while the Islamic sites carry on vicious, provocative propaganda, the Hindus and Hindu entities targeted by the Government do not do so. They merely counter the pernicious propaganda of the Islamic fundamentalists. The Government has sought to silence them too by targeting them.

13. In my view, Kanchan was one of those thus targeted by the Government for the following reasons:

( a ).Amongst the pro-Hindutva journalists, he is the most active online.

( b ).He is seen by the Government as spearheading the Net-based media strategy of the Hindutva and other right-wing elements.

( c ). His new online venture is seen by the Government as having been started with an eye on the 2014 elections.

14. As an online Editor, Kanchan’s dependence on social media networks for communicating with his followers, readers and contributors would be heavy. The Government wanted to needle him and create difficulties for him in developing his new online venture.

15. But the uproar over the blocking of sites/lines of journalists, particularly Kanchan, has forced the Government on the defensive and it has refrained from any follow-up action against Kanchan.

16. It is obvious to me that the attempted blocking of Kanchan indicated the Government’s keenness to take advantage of the opportunity provided by the recent panic due to the online dissemination of exaggerated reports and rumours to create difficulties in the implementation of the Net-based media strategy of the BJP and other right-wing elements. It has misfired at least for the time being. (24-8-12)

(The writer is Additional Secretary (retd), Cabinet Secretariat, Govt. of India, New Delhi, and, presently, Director, Institute For Topical Studies, Chennai, and Associate of the Chennai Centre For China Studies. E-mail: seventyone2@gmail.com Twitter @SORBONNE75)

A self-proclaimed 'centrist' over here doesn't seem to love the article posted over here I guess(There is a reason I am saying this to you), but anyways coming to the point I must say Hindu fundamentalists are more brainy than the brawny muslim fundamentalists atleast there tactics prove the point. What did muslim fundamentalists accomplish by desecrating various places. Well practically nothing except proving why they are called fringe elements and how dangerous they are in a civilized society... But hindu fundamentalists stuck to the plan i.e. plan of sowing hatred and distrust between north easterner non-muslims and muslims, a step towards making political inroads in north east and getting a step closer to their overall agenda...

If you feel that being "centrist" means pandering to the minority sentiments, you are sadly mistaken. I do not mince words. If Hindu fundamentalists have done it, I would slam them but in this case they are not the instigators. The past 3 weeks was an issue caused by muslim fundamentalists. Imagine a mosque desecrated by hindu fundamentalists or other religious people. Imagine the offense the minorities and the pseudosecularists would have taken and how long they would be holding on to it? I do not see that when a war memorial was desecrated nor when other religions' gods' statues were desecrated. And even the false propaganda that Hindu fundamentalists used to accomplish in sowing the distrust - as per the link you posted above, their contribution is only 20%. So who has made the 80& contribution?

Do you know why I contradicted you? Because I don't think you showed any remorse on the work by the muslim fundamentalists on the desecration of war memorial but rather you took offense at some some members' pointing fingers at your community. You may be a moderate one within the muslim community but folks like you fail to take on the small group of radicals. It is nothing but hypocrisy on your part what I see here.

Here is what I posted more than a month ago - so this would explain my position here.

"I was born a hindu but an athiest now and religion does not matter anymore for me. But I hate pseudo secularists in India who find fault with hinduism but refrain from doing the same with other religions and I would take every given opportunity to call out the hypocrisy in these pseudo secularists.

If that makes me an internet hindu, so be it and I do not give a rat's a**.

Source: http://www.defence.pk/forums/genera...t-online-frays-aljazeera-5.html#ixzz24c2v6AU1 "

The primitives are yet to pay for their crimes.

They must be made to.

We should not allow these scum to destroy our religious places in our own country. They need to know there is a price to pay...

I hope that happens sooner than later.

And don't forget 80% hate matrerial still came from the Islamists. Don't assume others can't pay back in the same coin.

Violence continues to rock lower Assam

Guwahati, Aug 26, 2012, (PTI) :

Violence today continued to rock lower Assam where two persons were injured in a fresh attack in Kokrajhar.

Six persons, inmates of a relief camp, died in an attack at Amguri Bazar in Chirang district last night taking the death toll in the month-long mayhem to 86, police said.

State IGP (law and order) L R Bishnoi told PTI that unidentified persons attacked and left injured two persons near Salakati Railway Station in Kokrajhar at around 4 AM.

The injured have been admitted to the Bongaigaon civil hospital.

Night curfew is continuing in the troubled districts of Kokrajhar, Chirang and Dhubri after violence that started from July 19 in which more than four lakh people have been rendered homeless with most residing in relief camps.

Army presence in the areas is continuing.

ULFA warns non-Assamese in Assam
Guwahati, Aug 26, 2012, (IANS) :

The ULFA Sunday warned of attacks on Indians in Assam if "atrocities" on Assamese people did not halt in other parts of the country.

A statement signed by its elusive chief Paresh Baruah alleged that 14 Assamese youth had been killed in "mainland India".

"The atrocities on Assamese ... must be stopped immediately, failing which we will be forced to take necessary action on Indians living here," said the statement.

The statement also warned India-based Muslim groups against spreading communal hatred in Assam.

It charged All India United Democratic Front chief Badaruddin Ajmal with spreading communal hatred by saying Muslims were being killed in Assam.

The ULFA statement follows ethnic violence in Assam and the consequent flight of thousands of Assamese from places like Bangalore and Pune due to mysterious telephonic threats.

Guwahati, Aug 26, 2012, (PTI) :

Violence today continued to rock lower Assam where two persons were injured in a fresh attack in Kokrajhar.

Six persons, inmates of a relief camp, died in an attack at Amguri Bazar in Chirang district last night taking the death toll in the month-long mayhem to 86, police said.

State IGP (law and order) L R Bishnoi told PTI that unidentified persons attacked and left injured two persons near Salakati Railway Station in Kokrajhar at around 4 AM.

The injured have been admitted to the Bongaigaon civil hospital.

Night curfew is continuing in the troubled districts of Kokrajhar, Chirang and Dhubri after violence that started from July 19 in which more than four lakh people have been rendered homeless with most residing in relief camps.

Army presence in the areas is continuing.

Guwahati, Aug 26, 2012, (IANS) :

The ULFA Sunday warned of attacks on Indians in Assam if "atrocities" on Assamese people did not halt in other parts of the country.

A statement signed by its elusive chief Paresh Baruah alleged that 14 Assamese youth had been killed in "mainland India".

"The atrocities on Assamese ... must be stopped immediately, failing which we will be forced to take necessary action on Indians living here," said the statement.

The statement also warned India-based Muslim groups against spreading communal hatred in Assam.

It charged All India United Democratic Front chief Badaruddin Ajmal with spreading communal hatred by saying Muslims were being killed in Assam.

The ULFA statement follows ethnic violence in Assam and the consequent flight of thousands of Assamese from places like Bangalore and Pune due to mysterious telephonic threats.

i blame ISI for this

See....this is the reason why people hate Muslims....when ever they become majority they try to dominate people of other religion/ethnicity and ultimately divide the land...
This is the reason why Indians are supporting Burma for throwing out the Muslims.......

Sadly for the Muslims, the few non-Muslim/secular countries of the world have become well aware of their intensions....they have learnt from India's Mistake....

Thus countries like China,Russia,Burma,America now takes prompt and severe action against any indication of Muslim uprising....

What a Crap!!!

In Bangladesh at least one can declare publicly that there is nothing called communal discord although there is lots of violence and crimes taking place daily, NONE of those can be attributed to communal discord or hatred in Bangladesh. With a total number of below 15 million in Bangladesh, Hindus are living in total safety and protection. This fact is amply manifested if you see the promotion list and recruitment list in the public sector, for example. Indians will be surprised to see how Hindu minorities are appointed in many higher positions including positions as heads of organizations in Bangladesh. One will be amazed to see the scale of festivity in the cities like Dhaka and Chittagong during Hindu religious festivals like Durga Pooja etc.

In contrast, look what is happening in the so called biggest democracy on earth. Atrocities against Muslims are sponsored by high profile politicians even while in power. Just a few days ago, a train in West Bengal was systematically raided by Hindu extremists in cold blood killing or wounding all Muslims on board. Passengers were forced to show their IDs. Anyone with Muslim names were mercilessly beaten and thrown out of the train. Hmmmmm!! What a Shame!!!

Even those news appearing in some of the media like BBC will never be able to incite anyone in Bangladesh even if RAW tries to do some false flag operations inside Bangladesh.

Does that mean 80% of the hate content is by skull caps and three fourths ?

Do you know why I contradicted you? Because I don't think you showed any remorse on the work by the muslim fundamentalists on the desecration of war memorial but rather you took offense at some some members' pointing fingers at your community. You may be a moderate one within the muslim community but folks like you fail to take on the small group of radicals. It is nothing but hypocrisy on your part what I see here.

They will go on a rampage destroying and desecrating everything in their path. but the first one to blame them for their acts becomes an Islamophobic RSS bigot. So convenient.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom