What's new

Asian Cinema

liubang

Reaction score
Country
Viet Nam
How long before the East Asian cinema reached Hollywood level? And is there any good movies out recently that you think is on par with Hollywood? (And yes, Hollywood is also litter with garbage films too). I heard people are really anticipating for Japan's Attack on Titans. Korea's Snow Piercer was something too. Outside of movies like Red Cliff, Stephen Chow's films, are there any film that would appeal to a broader base outside of East Asia from China? I thought there was some Time traveling movie from China recently. I am slacking on my Asian pop culture news.

*hmm, I heard plenty of good thing with the Korean film industry.

So this Yu Zheng guy who had been remaking shitty Jin Yong adaptions. Because of him, I delved into the legal aspect of the film/tv industry in China. I recalled one article commented that due to the regulation right now in China. They limited creativity quite a bit. I am not an expert, so chinese members here can fill me in.

Stop thinking in terms of Western culture as superior, it is not. Hollywood is nothing but propaganda and brainwashing people to believe the exceptionalism of USA and Western morals. Asian movie-goers need to shun Western movies and embrace homegrown entertainers and movies that extol traditional Asian values and history. Asian civilisation has been around far longer and has far more history to be proud of. Looking West-wards and embracing Western culture is kind of like Stockholm syndrome and empathising with someone who had brutalised you in the past. Asians don't need corrupt Western ideals and morals.

Stop thinking in terms of Western culture as superior, it is not.

Your point?? Where did I say Western culture is superior? Are you on crack? It is a matter of fact like say USA cinema is better than that of Vietnam. Did you noticed I don't even bother to mentioned Vietnam here. Bollywood is the biggest movie industry in the world but this is not the South Asian sub forum.

Anyhow, if another irrelevant post like you pop up again. You are free to join my ignore list.

My intention was to find good ASian movies that I haven't heard of. Then you butt in and preach your nonsense.

And don't you know the Chinese are consuming quite a bit of American hollywood media right?? Tell your people to stop funding these propaganda maker.

-----------------------------------

There are way too many crazies on this forum.

When East Asia becomes rich,confident,thoughtful,sympathetic,modest,introspective,peaceful...WOW,It will be full of intelligence to tell stories.:victory1::victory1::victory1:

Your point?? Where did I say Western culture is superior? Are you on crack? It is a matter of fact like say USA cinema is better than that of Vietnam. Did you noticed I don't even bother to mentioned Vietnam here. Bollywood is the biggest movie industry in the world but this is not the South Asian sub forum.

Anyhow, if another irrelevant post like you pop up again. You are free to join my ignore list.

My intention was to find good ASian movies that I haven't heard of. Then you butt in and preach your nonsense.

And don't you know the Chinese are consuming quite a bit of American hollywood media right?? Tell your people to stop funding these propaganda maker.

-----------------------------------

There are way too many crazies on this forum.

If you think movies is anything other than propaganda and the power to influence popular opinion, then you are very naive. I would like to encourage Asians to take pride in their own culture/people and not buy into Hollywood's agendas, like promoting the Anglo-white standard of beauty and the narrative of America saving the World from aliens, zombies, vampires, using super-advanced alien weapons developed in Area 51, etc.

There is no matter of fact about Hollywood movie being better than any other. Movies are subjective and it's about story development and acting, and not just who makes movies with the biggest budget. It's your sycophantic Viet view that Asian cinema is by default inferior to Hollywood's. Stop licking white man's boot and take pride in your own culture and watch domestic movies, instead of aspiring to American dreams.

Feel free to add me to your ignore list because my time would be better spent than talking to low esteem Viets.

While there may be some elements of "propaganda" here and there most movies are made in a way just to make a buck. Whatever sells drives the majority of the movie industry. No matter how dumb it is.

Some beautiful stories only make a million and don't make back their cost. Others that are completely ridiculous make close to a billion. The studios are going to fund the ridiculous ones.

I expect a wave of Chinese-centric ridiculous movies are in the works by Hollywood.

But they have to deal with State Administration of Press, Publication, Radio, Film and Television - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

How to be Censored in China: A Brief Filmmaking Guide | Indiewire

"
Films containing any of the following content must be cut or altered:

• Distorting Chinese civilization and history, seriously departing from historical truth; distorting the history of other countries, disrespecting other civilizations and customs; disparaging the image of revolutionary leaders, heroes and important historical figures; tampering with Chinese or foreign classics and distorting the image of the important figures portrayed therein;
  • Disparaging the image of the people’s army, armed police, public security organ or judiciary;
  • Showing obscene and vulgar content, exposing scenes of promiscuity, rape, prostitution, sexual acts, perversion, homosexuality, masturbation and private body parts including the male or female genitalia; containing dirty and vulgar dialogues, songs, background music and sound effects;
  • Showing contents of murder, violence, terror, ghosts and the supernatural; distorting value judgment between truth and lies, good and evil, beauty and ugliness, righteous and unrighteous; showing deliberate expressions of remorselessness in committing crimes; showing specific details of criminal behaviours; exposing special investigation methods; showing content which evokes excitement from murder, bloodiness, violence, drug abuse and gambling; showing scenes of mistreating prisoners, torturing criminals or suspects; containing excessively horror scenes, dialogues, background music and sound effects;
  • Propagating passive or negative outlook on life, world view and value system; deliberately exaggerating the ignorance of ethnic groups or the dark side of society;
  • Advertising religious extremism, stirring up ambivalence and conflicts between different religions or sects, and between believers and non-believers, causing disharmony in the community;
  • Advocating harm to the ecological environment, animal cruelty, killing or consuming nationally protected animals;
  • Showing excessive drinking, smoking and other bad habits;
  • Opposing the spirit of law.
    [Source: SARFT]"
------------------------------

Not a ridiculous list. Most seem reasonable. Supernatural stuff may restrict a lot though.

Last edited:
How long before the East Asian cinema reached Hollywood level? And is there any good movies out recently that you think is on par with Hollywood? (And yes, Hollywood is also litter with garbage films too). I heard people are really anticipating for Japan's Attack on Titans. Korea's Snow Piercer was something too. Outside of movies like Red Cliff, Stephen Chow's films, are there any film that would appeal to a broader base outside of East Asia from China? I thought there was some Time traveling movie from China recently. I am slacking on my Asian pop culture news.

*hmm, I heard plenty of good thing with the Korean film industry.

So this Yu Zheng guy who had been remaking shitty Jin Yong adaptions. Because of him, I delved into the legal aspect of the film/tv industry in China. I recalled one article commented that due to the regulation right now in China. They limited creativity quite a bit. I am not an expert, so chinese members here can fill me in.
Your posts are beginning to resemble a certain banned Vietnamese member

There are tons of excellent movies from East Asia, the dominant movies in China are mostly Chinese one. Most of these East Asia movies don't appeal to westerners just like most western movies don't appeal to Chinese. In today's cinema in Wuhan(just come back from a new shopping mall), 80-90% are Chinese movies.

Share with you one of my favourite movie's theme song.

English lyrics

Stop thinking in terms of Western culture as superior, it is not. Hollywood is nothing but propaganda and brainwashing people to believe the exceptionalism of USA and Western morals. Asian movie-goers need to shun Western movies and embrace homegrown entertainers and movies that extol traditional Asian values and history. Asian civilisation has been around far longer and has far more history to be proud of. Looking West-wards and embracing Western culture is kind of like Stockholm syndrome and empathising with someone who had brutalised you in the past. Asians don't need corrupt Western ideals and morals.

Some of the biggest argument why HK films in the 90s start losing their luster is due to the fact they started to imitate western culture and style in their movies. Ie. They try to be like Hollywood but failed because most people would rather watch Hollywood instead of a shittier version of Hollywood.

In the 60s-80st HK films were popular due to its Chinese theme that never competed with Hollywood. Also the action scene fight scene was better than anything Hollywood can come up with. It was great and a surprise to see the main character die at the end! Alas those glory days are over for HK cinema and East Asian cinema in general.

The Korean crap you see nowadays cannot even compare to the low budget HK flicks. I wish Korean cinema would just go away. It's long, boring and their "historical" piece distorts history to their view.

The old Hong Kong movie industry had a bravado and confidence that it lost in later years. They used to churn out so many movies with shoe string budgets but were in a class of their own.

The 'Once upon a time in China' movies were so awesome but ended in disaster when they decided to add a fourth movie set in America.

These days I am so sick of guy actors who look like girls in East asian cinema. There is little nuance in emotive screen play and the cgi effects looks like b grade hollywood effects. Why not have battle scenes played out with hundreds and thousands of people like in the old days instead of crappy cgi? It costs a bit more but works out so much better.

Some of the biggest argument why HK films in the 90s start losing their luster is due to the fact they started to imitate western culture and style in their movies. Ie. They try to be like Hollywood but failed because most people would rather watch Hollywood instead of a shittier version of Hollywood.

In the 60s-80st HK films were popular due to its Chinese theme that never competed with Hollywood. Also the action scene fight scene was better than anything Hollywood can come up with. It was great and a surprise to see the main character die at the end! Alas those glory days are over for HK cinema and East Asian cinema in general.

The Korean crap you see nowadays cannot even compare to the low budget HK flicks. I wish Korean cinema would just go away. It's long, boring and their "historical" piece distorts history to their view.

Speaking of Korean crap, have you seen 'The admiral, Roaring currents'? Believe it or not, its an Imjin war movie that doesnt even mention the Ming in at all. Not one word.

China should make an authentic Imjin war movie to depict the reality of Korean cowardice, futility and lack of martial spirit. Korean 'soldiers' would literally fire three arrows and run away scrambling over each other to avoid the Japanese samurai and levies.

There are tons of excellent movies from East Asia, the dominant movies in China are mostly Chinese one. Most of these East Asia movies don't appeal to westerners just like most western movies don't appeal to Chinese. In today's cinema in Wuhan(just come back from a new shopping mall), 80-90% are Chinese movies.

Share with you one of my favourite movie's theme song.

English lyrics

This one is my favourite.

It makes me feel like fighting 3 tigers at once after listening.

The old Hong Kong movie industry had a bravado and confidence that it lost in later years. They used to churn out so many movies with shoe string budgets but were in a class of their own.

The 'Once upon a time in China' movies were so awesome but ended in disaster when they decided to add a fourth movie set in America.

These days I am so sick of guy actors who look like girls in East asian cinema. There is little nuance in emotive screen play and the cgi effects looks like b grade hollywood effects. Why not have battle scenes played out with hundreds and thousands of people like in the old days instead of crappy cgi? It costs a bit more but works out so much better.

Speaking of Korean crap, have you seen 'The admiral, Roaring currents'? Believe it or not, its an Imjin war movie that doesnt even mention the Ming in at all. Not one word.

China should make an authentic Imjin war movie to depict the reality of Korean cowardice, futility and lack of martial spirit. Korean 'soldiers' would literally fire three arrows and run away scrambling over each other to avoid the Japanese samurai and levies.

This one is my favourite.

It makes me feel like fighting 3 tigers at once after listening.
It's a great song, but I prefer softer one.
Like this, I love you, China.
Originally from a movie about overseas Chinese coming back to China after 1978, sung by Malaysian Chinese Ye Peiying. I Love You, China - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I Love You, China

A lark flies across the blue sky:

"I love you, China!"

I love you, China,

I love you, China,

I love your exuberant seedlings in spring,

I love your bountiful golden fruits in autumn,

I love your temperament of green pines,

I love your character of red plum flowers,

I love your home-grown sugar cane,

That nurtures my heart like milk.

I love you, China,

I love you, China,

I will dedicate the most beautiful song to you,

My mother,

My motherland.

I love you, China,

I love you, China,

I love your blue waves rolling across the South Sea,

I love your white snow flakes flying over the North Land,

I love your endless forests,

I love your grandiose mountains,

I love your vivacious streams,

That flow through my dreamland with clear sparkles.

I love you, China,

I love you, China,

I will dedicate my prime youth to you,

My mother,

My motherland.

Ah ......

Ah ......

I will dedicate my prime youth to you,

My motherland,

My homeland.

original song from the movie in 1979
(voice from Ye Peiying, born in Malaysia, @powastick )

One modern version from Voice of China

Ye Peiying on the 62th national day (came back to China from Malaysia when 15-year-old in 1951)

This one is killing me:hitwall: Jack Ma's version of I love you, China.
But I really appreciate how he entertained his employees of Alibaba

Don't clump all East Asian countries together. In my subjective viewpoint, Korean and Japanese cinema have far surpassed Hollywood on many levels, including originality, creativity, realism and the ability to engage viewers emotionally. @Nihonjin1051

Too many people are making way too many claims without evidences backing them up.

Don't clump all East Asian countries together. In my subjective viewpoint, Korean and Japanese cinema have far surpassed Hollywood on many levels, including originality, creativity, realism and the ability to engage viewers emotionally. @Nihonjin1051

Let play this game, name the top 5 Japanese films for the last 3 years. Then the last 5 American films in the last 3 years. Then compare them in the criteria you create.

The Chinese animation firm aiming to rival Hollywood
By Neil KoenigSeries producer, The New Entrepreneurs

A familiar issue for many businesses these days is a scarcity of top talent.

Chinese film studio Light Chaser Animation has taken an unusual approach to help to solve this problem - it bought a robot.

The device is a "telepresence robot", which it acquired from California-based Double Robotics. It consists of a battery-powered mobile platform to which an iPad is attached.

The wi-fi controlled device can move around the company's offices and it allows animation director Colin Brady - who lives in Los Angeles and did not want to move to China - to communicate with the rest of the team in Beijing.

_76534237_2014-04-1618.17.32hdr.jpg

The "telepresence robot" allows a key American worker to communicate with the team
He says he uses the robot more than he initially expected to. "During meetings and interviewing new employees, it is very helpful to look people in the eye and then look at their screen," says Mr Brady.

"It is very weird to be a robot that can roll around independently and surprise people at their desks, but that's a little bit of the fun part too." The best thing for him about using it is it allows him to spend more time at home.

His assistant Mo Chen says: "It's a bit scary when Colin suddenly shows up from behind, but thankfully, this doesn't happen a lot." But she says she does not find it weird talking to Colin through the device, since she is used to using Apple's Facetime app.

_76534156_p1150279.jpg

Mr Wang says he is bad with "routine stuff" and always wants to try new ideas
Company founder Gary Wang says the robot is just one example of the new communication tools that are now available to make working easier for teams that are dispersed across the world.

He adds that recruiting and retaining the right staff is absolutely vital for start-up businesses.

"If you hire 'A' class people they will hire 'A' class people from that point on. If you hire 'B' class people then… it will just go downhill from there. So we want to find our 'A' class people."

_76227620_garywang4.jpg

Light Chaser is housed in an artistic compound on the outskirts of Beijing
Mr Wang says the goal of the company is to produce animated movies like those made by Pixar and Dreamworks, aiming to achieve the same level of quality as the giant US studios.

He believes that the time is right for his new venture. As China goes through a transition from an economy based on industry, to one more driven by domestic consumption, he sees a growing appetite for home-produced entertainment.

"There are a tremendous number of people inside China who are looking to see stuff that's related to them, rather than just seeing another American film," he says.

Light Chaser has already made one short film and work is under way on its first feature.

_76747830_76728195.jpg

The company's first feature film is planned for release in early 2016
Little Door Spirits is a fantasy tale aimed at a family audience. Although the content and characters are definitely Chinese, Mr Wang says he also has one eye on the wider international market.

"We want to make… something that can be shared with anyone in the world."

Light Chaser is not Mr Wang's first enterprise. In 2005, he founded Tudou, a video-sharing site which launched shortly before YouTube.

The business grew quickly, attracting millions of users. But after it merged with another Chinese video-sharing firm, Youku, Mr Wang says he became restless.

_76728194_76728193.jpg

Mr Wang believes there is growing demand for Chinese-made films
He began to look for a fresh venture. He considered several possibilities, such as creating a vineyard. Eventually the notion of starting an animation company emerged.

Mr Wang says he soon discovered that putting his idea into practice was not going to be easy. "It requires a lot of people to do an animation feature film - we calculated about 150 people… in various disciplines, [from] artists to computer tech support, animators, lay out and so on."

The problem was that it was difficult to find people with the right skills in China, because few, if any, large-scale animated movies were being made at the time.

"We needed to do a poaching trip," he says.

He travelled to California, visiting Hollywood and Silicon Valley, and ended up hiring a handful of highly experienced people, who helped him to recruit the rest of the team.

_76534235_p1150329.jpg

It takes about 150 people to make one Light Chaser Animation film
Mr Wang says he is in the fortunate position to have raised the resources to make several feature films over the next few years. If the movies prove to be successful, he sees the potential to expand into other areas, such as merchandising or even theme parks.

Read more: New Entrepreneurs

However, he recognises that he has entered a very risky business.

There is also a lot hanging on his shoulders. He is not only the company's chief executive, he is also the screenwriter and director. He says his previous experiences of writing novels and plays has been helpful with the latter roles.

Mr Wang believes it is in his nature to attempt to overcome difficult challenges. Some of the biggest difficulties many entrepreneurs face are uncertainty and self-doubt. He says he learnt to push these fears aside - and urges others to do the same.

"There's an old Chinese saying that when a boat hits the bridge, it will go straight again, [all] by itself," he says. "It basically means that it's actually not that terrifying. The big unknown is just like anything else."

Master Jiang and the Six Kingdoms
Hand drawn animated by two person.

Not related to movies, but Jin Yong related.

Back
Top Bottom