What's new

Aselsan/FNSS KORKUT (SPAAG)

What are the chances of Korkut eventually spawning an indigenous Gatling-style CIWS to replace the Phalanx?

ORD_CIWS_Phalanx_Maintenance_LPD-13_lg.jpg

WNUS_Phalanx_Evolution_pic.jpg

Last edited:
What are the chances of Korkut eventually spawning an indigenous Gatling-style CIWS to replace the Phalanx?

Zero. Development is supposed to go forward, not backward to less advanced weapons.

I think with the current system for land it would somewhat look like this:
Chinese_Gatling_Tank.jpg

Last edited:

With in the Turkish navy certainly. Phalanx use a lot of ammuniton to hit the target, i mean 1 using 1 min 3000 rounds. You will get the same effect when you use airburst round, usa navy is using Ram as final stage defend. So is the ciws or phalanx out? I think yes.

Last edited:
With in the Turkish navy certainly. Phalanx use a lot of ammuniton to hit the target, i mean 1 using 1 min 3000 rounds. You will get the same effect when you use airburst round, usa navy is using Ram as final stage defend. So is the ciws or phalanx out? I think yes.
cant we use both of them in the same time ?

Phalanx will not typically be fired for a minute at the time. Rather the gatling gun fires 20mm ammunition at either 3,000 or 4,500 rounds-per-minute with a burst length of 60, or 100 rounds. 60 rounds is 1.2 seconds at 3k rpm and 0.8 seconds at 4.5k rpm., 2 seconds and 1.3 seconds for 100 rounds.

The Oerlikon Contraves Sea Zenith quad 25mm KBA on the Turkish Meko 200 ships does 3200 rpm.

Phalanx will not typically be fired for a minute at the time. Rather the gatling gun fires 20mm ammunition at either 3,000 or 4,500 rounds-per-minute with a burst length of 60, or 100 rounds. 60 rounds is 1.2 seconds at 3k rpm and 0.8 seconds at 4.5k rpm., 2 seconds and 1.3 seconds for 100 rounds.

The Oerlikon Contraves Sea Zenith quad 25mm KBA on the Turkish Meko 200 ships does 3200 rpm.

They are planning to change that because they are not supporting in parts anymore:-). What i read is the Turkish navy is interested in phalanx, if Korkut would be ready they wil use korkut.

What would be your choice airburst round Korkut or Phalanx?

They are planning to change that because they are not supporting in parts anymore:-). What i read is the Turkish navy is interested in phalanx, if Korkut would be ready they wil use korkut.

What would be your choice airburst round Korkut or Phalanx?
Who is no longer supporting what?

I think, he means that Germany no more supplying spare parts for Sea Zenith.....however i have never heard such a thing.
Oerlikon-Contraves was a Swiss company. In 1999, Oerlikon-Contraves was sold by the Oerlikon Bührle Holding to the German Rheinmetall DeTec company

Rheinmetall is subdivided in a car-related branch (about 11,700 people) and a defence branch (about 9,100 people), as follows:

Autoindustry
  • Pierburg GmbH (airintakes, emission, cooling and lubrication)
  • Kolbenschmidt GmbH (pistons)
  • KS Gleitlager GmbH (bearing)
  • KS Aluminium-Technologie GmbH (aluminium engineblocks)
  • MSI Motor Service International GmbH (motorrepai and partdistribution)
Defence
  • Rheinmetall Landsysteme GmbH (armoured vehicles and related things)
  • Oerlikon Contraves AG (anti-aircraft gunsystems)
  • Weapon Munition division (munitions)
  • Rheinmetall Defence Electronics GmbH (elektronic systems for military applications)
  • Public Security division (Securitysystems against terrorism, natural disasters ets.)
  • Rheinmetall MAN Military Vehicles GmbH (military vehicles, joint venture with MAN)

Turkish Meko are the only user of sea zenith, no spare parts.
That is silly.

If there are no spare parts, these system could not (and would not) have remained in service on Yavuz and Barbados class Meko-200TN frigates since 1987. In which case, the mounts would have been removed already and replaced by Phalanx long ago. The last vessel to receive a new built Sea Zenith mount was TCG Kemalreis (F-247), which entereed service in June of 2000.

http://www.army-guide.com/eng/product3631.html

The 1,000 rounds per minute 35mm Millenium gun would make an interesting replacement, putting a lot of fire power onto these ships.
35mm_Oerlikon_gun_systems_and_Ahead_ammunition_004.jpg

http://www.armyrecognition.com/mspo...n_from_rheinmetall_at_mspo_2016_70809161.html

Or similar Korkut.
korkutciws.jpg

It's not just about the guns ability to fire x many rounds per minute. For effective close range defense there are also other factors that come into play:
  • Range of the gun -- in other words, how far away can the stream of rounds fired successfully intercept an incoming missile?
  • Drum size -- how many rounds can the drum hold? This will determine how many consecutive targets the gun can engage in a saturation attack without the crew having to reload/replace it.
  • Maximum duration of fire -- A lot of rounds passing through the barrel mean a lot of heat being generated that need to be dissipated. In some cases overheating can put a gun out of commission until certain metrics return to normal.
  • Range, resolution and technological capabilities of the radar -- Self exlanatory. Your gun will only be as effective as the radar and electronics controlling it.
I don't think Korkut is exactly a replacement for Phalanx. They're similar systems with intersecting use and target portfolios, but they're designed from scratch with two entirely different applications in mind.

That said, some of the know-how and technologies gained during the development of the Korkut CAN be used in the development of a new, different naval CIWS system.

WNUS_Phalanx_Carl_Vinson_pic.jpg

The 1,000 rounds per minute 35mm Millenium gun would make an interesting replacement, putting a lot of fire power onto these ships.

Similarities with Korkut are visible. MEKO class are full modular and if a protoype fits they can test it under real conditions.

Back
Top Bottom